Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a "canon" route this time around or does it not matter in the remake who you do A/B?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I played last night up until clompyboi started stalking me but I was really running low on ammo+health. Restarted completely once I learned to kneecap zombies and I feel like I'm swimming in ammo+health items this time. Not back up to clompyboi yet but the first boss went down in a hail of handgun bullets pretty easily the second time around. I haven't had to restart a game from scratch due to running out of everything in a long time and I'm loving it!

But yeah, you can't get the Magnum until you return to the PD, right? You can't get it before boss one, right?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I know I probably shouldn't try for an S on my first playthrough but after beating Leon A with an A ranking, I'm going through Claire A and just got to the Orphanage at 1:40. I feel like I got through to the clocktower a LOT faster this time than as Leon since I wasn't trying to complete every room. I can't find any non-super-speedrun benchmarks, but is 1:40 for that point in the game decent, or is a sub 3:30 not possible from here?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I got to the orphanage at around... 1:10 or so and cleared the game with an hour to spare, so if you book it you should be good (Especially if you don't have to spend 15 minutes hoofing it back to the RPD to pick up the SMG like I did).

Ugh, I just realized I did not get the SMG. Well after this section I should be back in the Chief's Office so I should be able to run and grab it without too much trouble...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

So which main story is "easier" to try to S rank? Do either have a more direct route, or overall better weapons?

Side question, I got the DLC guns, but haven't found a need to use them. The upgraded Matilda on Leon was fun and felt better and the hi power so far on Claire also feels better. I thought Weskers gun would be a game changer but killing zombies dead doesn't seem necessary to do, really, so maybe I'm just missing why they're better guns, if they are at all?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Made it to the lab at 2:08 but I did not go back for anything so all I have is the revolver (with upgrades), the HiPower, and the Grenade Launcher. It's amazing how cheeseable the bosses are though so it's not like I don't have a bunch of ammo for those three at least...

Does the clock still run when you watch cutscenes?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Claire A in 2:46:37 so I finally got my S and can't wait to mow down zombies with the infinite handgun. What surprised me is I got Small Carbon Footprint, too, and by no way was I conservative with my steps. I didn't backtrack to get the SMG though, so maybe that helped? It sounded like Small Carbon Footprint would require you to really make every footstep count, but lol if you think I optimized anything.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Wanderer posted:

I've been wondering about that. There seems to be a way around it I've seen in other people's speed runs where you can point the camera all the way up and walk back and forth when you see him scampering about through the holes in the roof, but I can't quite get it to work.

There are some places against the walls that seem like safe zones where you can just wait him out, and I've gotten them before, but I can't be sure it's a 100% sure thing.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

So is the clompyboi trigger on the B route entering the STARS office/passing the door? I'm not trying to speed run B, but I'd like to clear as much as I can before I absolutely have to go there.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

For those who've done S rank runs, did you use any resources to help learn the routes? I want to try some go fast runs but I've never really engaged with the speedrun aspect of RE games. I often get confused about where to go or what I should be doing during normal runs so a checklist or something would be helpful.

I couldn't do it nearly as fast as the videos but I'd watch speedruns for things like route, what items were necessary and what items weren't, and what kinds of weapons were best for bosses.

With the amount of healing items available on standard, sometimes if I knew I wouldn't be back in an area, it seemed faster to just take the hit to save ammo and heal up afterward.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'm not going to S rank my current Leon B run because I'm having way too much fun murderizing every zombie with the infinite handgun.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I'm not expecting award winning drama from Resident loving Evil by there was just the right amount of ham alongside the right amount of oh gently caress this disbelief.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

Now I wish there'd been a puzzle where the answer was found by looking at a notebook listing Chris's lifting PRs and supplement dosages for clues.

Jill mixes gunpowder, Chris mixes protein powder.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Andrigaar posted:

Has anyone here done the under-14,000 steps achievement? Without the infinite launcher? I just looked and my last run has 17.8K steps at the last save and I'm pretty sure I skipped a whole bunch of the game.

I actually got it doing an S-rank speedrun of Claire A without realizing it (no bonus weapons). I just followed one of the 1 hour ish youtube videos but since I'm not that good, cleared it in like 2:45, but if you're not backtracking for anything superfluous it should probably not be too hard to get it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'm already calling it "Resident Threevil" and am ready.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to S+ hardcore for the super fun weapons because I'm on the PS4. It seems like I'll need to be able to 360noscope zombies to be able to do anything in a decent amount of time.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Bonaventure posted:

I know that I betrayed the entire nation and caused the deaths of not just the President but, actually, millions of people internationally-- but rest assured that I have a very good reason for it which I will explain if you'll just follow me into the Illuminati catacombs that lie beneath New Jersey.

[desire to know more intensifies]

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I feel like at least on standard there was an overabundance of healing items, so it felt at times more beneficial to eat the hit and move on to save ammo. I was getting munched on constantly and still finished the game with spare herbs/sprays.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I really want that unlimited smg but don't know which run to try to get it on or if I should go for the infinity blade first...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Go for infinity blade and infinite handgun first. If you are just going for the SMG, then you can use the pistol and still get a S rank.

I do have the infinite handgun. I feel S on hardcore is doable on the PS4 but I'm not nearly good enough with a controller to go for S+ since it feels like you need to be lightning quick and accurate with your head shots to get by zombies.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

In Training posted:

The run I'm looking forward to most is Assisted Infinite Rocket Launcher to get the no item box/healing achievement

Yeah but don't you have to open the item box to get the special weapons?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I've set him off by both ignoring the STARS office and running down the hallway, and also going into the STARS office.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So consensus:

Never use a green herb on it's own.

Never mix two green herbs together.

The western hallway is essential to board-up.

At least on standard there are plenty of herbs where that you can still eat a ton of hits and only ever need to use RG or RGB herbs.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'm taking a breather before trying a hardcore Claire A run to try to get S for the SMG. Between the infinite handgun and knife, I should be good for eschewing the SMG by turning all the powders into acid rounds. I'm just worried about that time limit and harder boss fights.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Given what we're learning about aiming and damage now, which samurai edge is the best?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

And I'm assuming the infinite edge is just standard across the board? I'm thinking of doing a hardcore Claire A with that and the launcher since going back for the SMG would add too much time.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Agoat posted:

Do I need to complete a playthrough after finding all the raccoons?

As soon as I got the last raccoon, I checked the records page and it deposited the knife in my item box right away.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'm in the minority but thank gently caress they didn't keep the spiders. The G mutants are easy enough to avoid, but I probably couldn't handle dealing with giant spiders.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Is it even possible to get the SMG on a hardcore S/S+ run? Don't you have to double back to the RPD to get it?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

The G-Unit's grabs just poison and don't really do damage, right? And they're in such a short stretch of game I just pop a RGB and bait a grab and run around them.

Or on hardcore does that drop you into danger automatically as well?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Jerkin the Birkin

Edit: I'd waltz his Matilda

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Trying a Claire hardcore S run and I'm at Crane Birkin at 1:15. Think I'm still on target? I'm having a hard time with how hard everything hits and the constant restarting but I really want that SMG...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I still get hit a lot because for some reason I think there's like a last minute dodge button but lolnope. I don't know why I keep thinking I can dodge. Every. Time.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Just got the infinite SMG and doing a normal run with it is so cathartic.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I just made the subject 628 connection :aaa:

Admittedly I don't really read all the files thoroughly since I'm more about the zombie killin.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

It really amazed me just how much extra ammo there is in the game with powders / how little ammo you actually need. And I'm on a PS4 so I'm not exactly a sharpshooter. Skipping the magnum/uzi for time is not difficult, and it frees up the hq powder for shells/grenades which are perfectly serviceable on the bosses of you don't mind running around a bit more.

Edit: The amazement comes from always feeling like you're out of ammo. Especially on my first few playthroughs I never felt like there would be enough, but somehow there always was.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 11, 2019

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Vakal posted:

Stair physics won't be implemented until Remake 3. It's all by design.

Nemesis: "STAiRS"

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Wanderer posted:

"Chris, I'm a murderous sociopath who's burned through hundreds of live human test subjects and wants to take over the world... but... yo' dick too bomb."

More like, D Virus amirite?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I have a Claire A hardcore S+ speed run saved because not only is the streamer not annoying af, he shows you that it's possible to get every pickup without resorting to twitch shooting or being godlike on dodging. I'm going to try to model my attempts off that one.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Lunethex posted:

Reminder that at the end of the most recent CG movie, Chris and the bad guy were fighting for a gun and Chris unleashed the ultimate pelvic thrust to knock him off.

It's a pelvic thrust
That's driving Wesker insa-a-aaaane
Let's go to Rockfort agaaaaain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

That's the guy I was talking about before. I'm using his Claire A video and I see PS4 button prompts so I'm assuming he's either on console or using a controller at least on PC?