Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeadButDelicious posted:

E: God I can hear each individual soundclip of that reload animation in my head. Red 9 for life.
A rare example of an actual clip in a video game.

Uh, well, outside all those WWII games that I don't play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm one of the people who didn't get into RE until 4. I don't disagree that RE4 was a lot more action-oriented and gonzo, maybe too much so, but being able to aim your gun and do stuff besides shoot was just so much more engaging. But I didn't keep playing RE games after that because RE5's mandatory buddy system turned me all the way off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My wife (Borat) does makeup effects, and even she was impressed with the gore and the general zombie appearance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

how hilarious is it going to be when you finish 4th survivor and hunk takes off his helmet and.... you know.
It's Gritty?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I liked the weapon crafting in Outbreak, but I'd like to see a game where it's a fundamental component and not one character's gimmick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I want a tabletop game where Umbrella Corporation Janitor is a character class

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As someone whose favourite thing about RE4 gameplay was the contextual melee stuff, should I play RE6?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The thing is, while Mercenaries mode was fun for awhile, I'm not big into Time Attack stuff. I have a terrible sense of direction in real life and in games, and I'm more the "Insist on killing every enemy in the level as efficiently as possible" type.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Convex posted:

RE6 Mercantile is indeed amazing and I have dozens of hours in the game for that alone. The campaign is pretty rubbish and I only finished Ada's to unlock the extra character.
Ada is just a lame character IMO. She's mysterious! She plays both sides! The other side is some unnamed organization! Because mystery! Does 6 make her interesting beyond being an extension of Leon?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

Ada owns, she's the token spy character in a web of hosed up biotech deals and monsters and a deus ex machina card they can pull several times in any game involving Leon. The sidestories in RE4 were interesting if only because it showed you how much poo poo she was doing behind the scenes.
The problem is that as far as I know, she has no motivation whatsoever and no allegiances besides a soft spot for Leon. She doesn't even seem to be in it for money or power.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

I remember a UK magazine reprinted the Akuma fake as if it was fact and not having the internet back then/being a dumb ten year old I fully believed it and spent ages trying to unlock him. I wasn't even a Street Fighter fan and didn't know who the gently caress Akuma was, he just looked badass.
Remember the good old days, when our friend (whose uncle works for Nintendo) could still fake us out about this poo poo?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's a bad gimmick anyway. Between Reborn, Rebirth, Revelation, Revolution, Revenge, and Reloaded, they have plenty of stock subtitles to use.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Rerelease the chainsaw controller

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm fine with game remakes in a way that I'm not with films and other things; I think there's a much stronger argument that newer technology makes it worth doing.

I don't have a problem with film remakes per se; the problem is that they rarely remake, like, a poorly-executed film with a great premise.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've never been a RE superfan, but I got really into the 4th one. Then I didn't play any of them until RE7, which I'm playing right now. (I'm in the ruined ship.) There are never enough shotgun shells, and the flamethrower doesn't seem to be very useful outside of the Old House.

I'll probably play RE6 at some point because I like that style of gameplay relative to the older games.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think the first horror game I ever played was the original Alone in the Dark, so forced camera angles have to be pretty bad to piss me off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean it is also a world where there's a fabulous palace sitting on top of an active volcano somewhere in Spain, and it's just a privately owned lot in an impoverished, sparsely populated rural area.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

RatHat posted:

Ada is simultaneously working for, and double crossing, everyone in the RE universe.
Did we ever learn what "The Organization" from RE4 is or if it actually ever existed in the first place?

RE is like a lot of big-budget action movies in that its writing is much, much, much more convoluted than it actually needs to be to allow the plot and gameplay to happen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Wanderer posted:

There's also the organization that created Eveline in RE7, so people are still trying to make sentient bioweapons, which is some real Weyland-Yutani poo poo.
Let's give someone superpowers by torturing them. All time classic plan, guaranteed to not come back on you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm admittedly not too good with science but the fact Umbrella perfected human cloning decades ago is pretty out there, right? That was always my main takeaway from Umbrella Chronicles. Why are they squandering this amazing technology to create Tyrants? They're using an amazing thing to make a lovely thing.

Of course the answer turns out to be because Spencer is an insane old man but that took a long time to reveal. Also not sure how Tyrants play into his desire to be immortal but whatever.
I like the 5th movie, where Umbrella is rich enough to build a city-sized underground lab, with machines that just spit out zombie clones by the hundreds, and this is all just a showroom for marketing bioweapons.

The real question is: what would you even do with the money after you sell a bioweapon that's going to collapse global civilization and make money valueless?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

OldMemes posted:

Ethan lives in a world where bioweapon attacks are a common problem, and he got a mysterious e-mail telling him to go to a swamp in the middle of nowhere, and didn't show up armed to the teeth.
Chris or Barry would come fully loaded, and level the farm in 20 minutes. Leon would bring a handgun, forget he had it, and try to fight the whole Baker family with taekwondo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Throwing away my brand new SIG so I can use a WWI-era pistol I bought from a hobo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Danknificent posted:

Throwing away all my guns to use wrestling moves and one liners
Can't do a flying bulldog on a mold monster with no neck!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Sanctum posted:

Yeah, either I've lost interest in the genre or this game just ain't tickling my fancy.
There's no good reason for me to try to convince you to stick with a game just because I'm enjoying it and you're not. I will say that one of the things I like about RE7 (I'm still playing it) is that most of the suspense is actually just suspense. There are far, far fewer enemies than in RE4 and it's actually a lot easier than it seems to take them in a straight up fight. The game doesn't dump as much ammo and herbs on you as RE4 (there are no random drops from enemies) but it dumps enough, and there are enough save points that you can just replay a small section if you wasted too much ammo.

I carefully replayed some sections avoiding any damage and only going for headshots, and it really wasn't necessary. The only thing you should be stingy with is shotgun shells since it's the most effective weapon in the game and a headshot will take down standard Molded.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you promise to kill enough Spanish speaking people the CIA will just give you the weapons for free

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
All you need to "magically" appear anywhere in the Salazar domain is the ability to hop a meter-tall fence and walk around. It's not like any of the ganados move fast enough to chase down someone lazily walking their dog.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Meanwhile, I don't know why I can't karate kick a Molded after I score a headshot. I guess at this point my foot would probably fall off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The science in RE is ridiculous, of course, but this is the kind of stuff I get hung up on when I read the Lore. Wesker is a prodigy who earned his doctorate at 17, joined the US Army at 31, and left as soon as his contract was up to join a special private security force operating under the supervision of the police department of a mid-sized city in ¿Missouri?

I can kinda buy it, but at the very least, the other members of STARS should have known that their unit was incredibly shady and spooked up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

If anything, the police part was visionary. Every podunk county has a nine-figure SWAT team that gets training from the IDF these days.

But yeah, the lengths they went to in order to have these characters have lots of cool credentials and still be young people is really funny.
Is there any, like, general explanation out there for why Japanese media thinks 25 is too old for a protagonist?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just finished 7. I guess Mia got away with her many felonies?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Barudak posted:

RE6 is a game with rock solid mechanical underpinnings that has very little of the correct content to go with it. Its absolutely flabbergasting.
I just want another RE where I can kick and suplex people.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 19, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Capcom has no idea what to do with Mia as a character. She's a major part of 7's plot, yet still feels like a nonentity.
I want to know how she got hired by a bioweapons-trafficking international crime syndicate that learned how to turn child abuse into a superweapon, and what she does going forward. This is an interesting character with an interesting story, and it's strange to me how no one in RE7 passes judgment on her and from what I know of RE8 she goes on to become a stay at home mom somewhere in Bad Europe. (No one seemed to have much sympathy for Eveline, either.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What's the best way to play the rail shooters?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

I like how the vampire daughters will yell at you to stop blocking if you keep tanking their attacks. "Put your hands down!!!" like a kid angry he's losing at a fighting game lol

I like how RE7 made me use the block command at the end, which I had like never used up to that point.

By the way, why is every rival organization in this series called something like "The Organization" or "The Connections?" They couldn't even come up with something as generic-specific as "Umbrella Corporation?"

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 21, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

The concept of blocking in RE7 and 8 never seemed intuitive to me bc I don't understand how taking a scythe to the arm is a more effective tact than running the f away.
My philosophy was that the quickest way to make the monster stop hurting me is to a) kill it or b) reload so I can kill it.

I played Silent Hill 1-3 back when people were still arguing over whether RE4 ruined the series and wasn't horror. I thought that SH2 had the best story, SH3 had the best gameplay, and SH1 had such bad gameplay it kinda ruined it for me. Friends who disagreed with me sometimes said flat-out that good gameplay isn't compatible with horror.

What's the right balance? Or, like, the right way to do it? I agree that RE7's first-person perspective and basically normal protagonist make it much more of a horror game than RE4-6. At the same time, while I'm not asking for taekwondo and pro wrestling moves, it would feel more real if you could, like, grab Jack by the collar and stab him repeatedly. Looking back, I think the most satisfying boss fights were the fights with Jack in the garage and the killing floor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Doomykins posted:

1) How powerful is the player? A lot of people stop having fear as soon as they get a weapon and view the enemy as defeatable. RE8 does really nicely for a long time in making ammo feel scarce. RE2 wasn't terribly complicated to overpower directly with the ammo offered but Mr X became legend(he's a pretty rote ammo dump when you're experienced) and Birkin might be the scariest single monster in the series. RE3 technically let you defeat everything you saw smoothly if you could dodge well enough but Nemesis might be the most well known meme(and fear) in the series. Even RE4 had sheer intimidation factor a lot of the time.
RE7 did a really good job of making me feel like ammo was scarce when it wasn't. There are parts of the game (like when you first play Mia on the boat) where ammo is suddenly scarce. I ended the game with an rear end-load of ammo. I also missed a coin and never got the Magnum and it didn't make a difference.

With RE4, the predictability of the RE formula actually made it more effective. Yes, there are random ammo drops, but I was always anticipating another long meatgrinder sequence that would chew up a lot of ammo.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Blocking is actually an incredibly simple and binary "are your arms up? If so take ~50-70% less damage". I think the real problem is more with the presentation of it; the way Ethan timidly raises his hands up doesn't really give the impression that it's a meaningful defensive mechanic. If he did like, a more confident crossed-arms sort of stance, I think it would come off a lot more convincingly.
Yeah, same. It felt like cowering and letting the enemies beat me to death.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

- Harsh but not overwhelming odds with fair gameplay (EW1 and its instakills can gently caress off)
- Limited resources that reward exploration. No Rambo poo poo.
- Mood/atmosphere/story (sound/graphics/presentation)
Yeah, I think it's relative. It's okay if I have a Tommy gun when the threat is like, Cthulhu and His children.

Are EW1/2 worth playing? They look like the kind of stealth action horror gameplay I like. But just having watched clips of it, it seems like they don't do much with the virtual reality setting. It's just an excuse to have weird Silent Hill enemies without explaining why mad scientists would wrap a psychiatric ward patient in barbed wire and give them a chainsaw.

Control Volume posted:

Blocking felt necessary for the first daughter fight and I thought it was meant to be the practical tutorial showing that you can block knives with your powerful RE-protagonist arms. Now I do it automatically when trying to strafe around attacks since it doesnt slow me down anyways.
Considering his lived experience, Ethan should be walking around wearing those chainmail kevlar riot cop gloves for the rest of his life.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Raxivace posted:

What ethnicity would Capcom make Jesus have?
He would be from Somewhere in the Middle East.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just really like melee combat in RE. I'm going to play 5 and 6, or at least 6, just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

In RE4 why does Leon stop doing the spinning back kick and start suplexing guys off of the knee shot after you get to the castle

am I imagining this
No. Leon uses a spinning side kick on downed villagers, and a suplex on downed monks and soldiers.