Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Any Dino Crisis fans up in here? Figured there would be a lot of overlap here since the series was basically Resident Evil with dinosaurs (a good thing if you ask me).

I recently replayed DC1 for the first time in over fifteen years and loved it. Straight up LOVED IT. Really wasn't expecting to with childhood nostalgia being what it is, but the game was just fantastic and held up really well. I didn't remember how strongly it emphasized the puzzles or how I got through those as a kid (no way I didn't look up some of those solutions on gamefaqs), but those were really enjoyable and occasionally challenging without ever being absurdly cryptic enough that you couldn't solve them by thinking for a few minutes about variations (mostly those last few door combos). The ending was sort of weak without a "real" bossfight but I looked it up and turns out I stumbled upon the 3rd "secret" ending which didn't have the fight I remembered.

Started on DC 2, and it looks like I remembered even less about this one. The emphasis on action is a bit disappointing, but it's still been pretty good so far. The character switching is nice (thought the first one had that but I guess I got some memories crossed). I'm not that fond of Dylan yet, but Regina still owns. Such a great protagonist I always forget about. Its a shame this series hasn't been followed up on after the second game already had a shift towards RE4 style gameplay with points/merchants five years before that game even came out.

Oh, and any opinions on Dino Crisis 3? I only learned about it today since it was box only and released without a lot of fanfare. The reviews on wikipedia aren't great, but a lot of the complaints listed seem to be things somewhat common in the series and RE-like games I'm use to anyway. Considering how I feel about the first two DC games would you recommend it?

Think I'm gonna hit up the original REs after this, and maybe the Silent Hill series too after that. Are there any other games in the same vein as this I should checkout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Both the pro and con effort posts about Code Veronica were really interesting reads. Not sure where I side exactly since any recollection is blocked away from the trauma of my last play-through of CVX where for some reason I couldn't get past Axe Monster Steve and had to keep watching the same 15 minutes of loading and cutscenes just to fail again with no/low herbs. Next time I'm putting the ps2 away and just doing an emulator run; save states make reliving the games of the past so much easier.

Dino Crisis 2 really was ahead of its time, it really is amazing how it shifted into action-suspense half a decade before RE4 even tried it (and with RE4 it was their back up plan after Leon VS Ghosts wasn't working out so well). Still, as much as I like the DC2 and RE4s of the world I really miss that puzzle element that made up the classic RE games and DC1. Today action shooters like DC2 are dime a dozen (although not nearly enough with dinosaurs, what the gently caress is up with that), but it doesn't seem anyone is really making "survival horror" like they use to. Come on indie developers give it a shot, the world needs a puzzle and scarcity originated survival horror way more than yet another platformer.

Also, despite the warnings, I went ahead and bought Dino Crisis 3 just cause I had to know and it was cheap. The universe is sending me another warning since I put it in and its one of those games that never got 360 support. gently caress. There's a work around but effort, so I'll put it off until my curiosity gets the better of me again.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

The canon PC of the games is whichever combinations SD Perry wrote about in her novelizations of the resident evil games that I read when I was then.

They are surprisingly good. Shutup I was ten.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Erwin the German posted:

Re-read Caliban Cove and say that again with a straight face.

Oh no that one that one sucked, I even knew that when I was a kid. Only the novelization ones based off games were good.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

you can tell its good just by lookin at that!

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x711B_0pLjM&t=188s

Randomly looked up something and I almost went my whole life without knowing any of the resident evil endings had dialog. Holy poo poo that would have been a shame to miss.
Jill and Barry have great dialog too in the one right after that Chris/Rebecca ending.

At least the optimal ending gives you this in the directors cut to make up for the lack of awesome dialog.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

http://www.giantbomb.com/the-evil-within/3030-39750/

Looked up this article after watching that. Wow sounds great. It looks a bit too "RE4" for the ideal type of RE 1-3 survival horror I'm looking for, but even then it'll still probably be a great game I'll enjoy in a different way a lot like 4 was.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Cant believe you didnt mention this part of that fight too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58VPpPrmQU&t=20s

The resident evil movies own. They really capture the feel of the game with all the random crazy poo poo and completely disconnected story entry to entry.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I run forwards and backwards, occasionally jumping on mushrooms

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I only recently got around to playing Revelations and it was pretty fun but it was after I finished Remake so the whole time I just kept thinking how great a setting that ship would have been for classic style RE game.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

is there a stream that doesn't have a nerd in the corner? why do streams do that? its weird

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Niggurath posted:

Well if you've got paypal, you can always go to Nuuvem and get the full uber edition for $20: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2639-resident-evil-revelations-2-full-bundle

Thanks. When I heard nuuvem was 20 I assumed it was still the normal one and wasnt gonna bother, but drat.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

So, what's the verdict on the PC port? I've been holding off on putting down cash because I've been reading a lot here and on the Steam forums about how unoptimised it is and various odd crashes and bugs n poo poo.

Still worth picking up or is waiting for some patching advised?

Eh, could go either way. There's gotta be some significant patching considering all the issues, especially with people already pissed about co-op. Frame rates were jumping like crazy for me, up to 120 down to 40, making the drat thing unplayable no matter how much I cranked down settings. But limiting it to a fixed 30 frames fixed everything for me (tried 60, but even the bounces 40 to 60 were still too jarring). I prefer consistency to the jumping anyway, and I was even able to max out other settings again without any trouble, so I don't really mind. Other technical issues I've had: weird crashes from alt-tab during normal campaign, and just now I crashed out after a raid game, for no apparent reason. Oh and one error I wish I recorded... during a scene of some talking there was just a loving zombie standing there in the corner, no acknowledgement from either party, and it teleported away once I got control and tried to interact with it. Made me laugh, but I couldn't get it to repeat when I reloaded.

Campaign wasn't sort of meh. But I played on hard which was very annoying at first picking up the gun (died about 3 times there, also figuring out ideal aim settings), then the perfect level of difficulty until the end of Claire's section, which was impossibly frustrating (my other 7 deaths were this one part) since I had 5 bullets, 5 shells, and no herbs against an unending onslaught with retard partner AI that wouldn't do either of two things that could get us out alive. So I finally dropped the difficulty to normal, got it on the first try and never died again. Really felt the pain of missing coop there; even with so few provisions, it would have been do-able; the difficulty was fighting the AI.

From there I was still frustrated I had to drop the difficulty to get past that part so I just left it on normal expecting another bullshit AI part, but I suspect Barry's campaign would have be a relative cakewalk even on hard . It felt the two campaigns switched the enemy types for how they're balanced. While the enemies are a lot more passive now, Barry starts with more (and more powerful) weapons , and a helper who senses them, setting up easy stealth kills anyway. It's weird.

The alternate costumes are totally ridiculous. So cheesecake theyre retarded, therefore likable (except Barry's which isn't crazy enough).

Raid mode. Raid mode was loving aces. Its what I got the game for anyway, and my best experience so far was one of the daily missions. I went in with Wesker, only had two weapon slots and forgot to reload from last mission (cause how hard could it be?). I got thrown to the wolves and loved it. I was getting rushed by regenerating fuckers while this other powerful fuckers flung dirt chunks at me from across the map. Ran out of ammo halfway through (loving two weapon slots), and had to utilize melee against some very melee-unfriendly enemies and take advantage of giant turds landing everywhere, luring other enemies into them. Naturally Wesker went down in a blaze of glory, which let me use a resurrect item I didn't know I had, bringing me back into the game with full health and ammo to crush my foes, earning +2 resurrect items, and 50,000 gold. Which seems like a lot.

I'm cool with the purchase. I might be more negative if I picked up the $40 version on steam, instead of the same edition on nuuvum for $20

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

General Morden posted:

giving me major clock tower vibes

Speaking of, how well do the Clock Tower games hold up as enjoyable? I always wanted to play those and never really got a chance to, so figure I might give it a go now.

I mean naturally they'll be dated as gently caress, but I'm asking from a perspective where I've gone back in the last few years and played a lot of PS games. Basically the resident evil series/dino-crisis/silent hill/parasite eve all ended up holding up amazingly and were just as much fun to play as ever. Nostalgia probably smoothed some of the rough edges there, but I also went though the Fear Effect games again and walked away hating them, so who knows.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Man I hate how OG RE3 is just disregarded as an expansion when it's one of the best entries in a series of many great games. It carried that official sequel label cause it deserved it.

I dug it more than RE2 on release, and it still ended up being better when I replayed the OG games recently.

The stuff people trash are more lazy from a conceptual/design POV but when it comes to execution they were boons.

Like, being able to push out the sequel that quickly isn't itself a condemnation when the quality is supreme. It's a theoretical negative for snobbery. Same as rehashing the RE2 assets and sets. Getting that overlapping exploration of the last game's areas was part of what makes it so badass. Reasons be damned. It worked.

It's creatively bold, and endlessly memorable with the same sort of risk taking and alterations that all the best entries share. Nemesis was eons above Mr X and worthy a different label. The city sets and locales. Environment stuns and unique boss blasts. Fight/flight with rewards. All the other choice timing. Dodge system. Ammo crafting and towards own weapon prefs. Carlos midgame. The segments non-linear. Dead factory instead of another lab. The ultimate "it all goes boom behind you". Epilogues. Mercenaries. Barry!!! It all loving owns!

I still desperately crave a legit REmake style remake for RE3 (re2 as well) that does just upgrade the existing masterpiece into a new "definitive version" instead of reinterpretting it as some other inspired by poo poo no one asked for.

If anyone disagrees, I'll....
[Shank them in the showers ]
[Lace their food with finely ground glass]

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wgree which is why I think the fact they were so faithful hurt that game.

Which is why I’m surprised people are complaining they weren’t faithful enough.

Out of all the rebuilds that have released over the years, the remakes might be up there at the top for faithfulness

Damning with faint praise. The clear aspirational point is doing the same as REmake, which is something functionally identical basically with graphic and QoL updates and a handful of new surprises, mechanica, and game modes.

Compared to REmake, the idea they're faithful is just totally out the window. Or, if the scales are so skewed as to what faithful means because of other game remakes (I don't know which you mean though), then replace the terms with whatever best expresses "do the exact same thing for 2&3 that you did for 1"

When I want to play resident evil now, I'll always just play the REmake because thats the definitive ultimate edition offering of all plus some. But if I'm itching for Re2/3 it'll take the originals still because there's far too much there missing rather than extra added. The new games are only the same when it comes to big structural beats. The meat is from a completely different beast.

That said, both nu-makes are still very fun and all that, and there's a place for them, especially over a void where nothing exists, but they just aren't the obvious PLEASEMAKETHIS we've craved for over a decade now after seeing what they did for Re1.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Good soup! posted:

Who is this "we"

The usual varied assortment of people who've expressed the same sentiments over the years. I'd estimate the numbers range from more than myself to less than everyone. Roughly.

We don't have a newsletter or a clubhouse if thats what youre asking. But you can pay membership dues to me.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

UltraShame posted:

Just finished REV:2 and now I realize that Leon, Barry, and Moira are the chief heroes of the series. Bad writing my rear end, a Dramaturgical Triad if you will.

The Resident Evil games left on my list are 6, Zero, Nemesis, and Code Veronica. I don't feel like emulating, so Code Veronica, and Nemesis are off the table.

Zero has a thread reputation for being tedious, but I did play the HD REmake with "modern" controls and really liked it - despite doing quite a bit of backtracking and head scratching to figure out where the hell I was. I think I enjoyed it more as "this is the first one of its kind but without being 100% jagged pixels and sans tank controls." It was repetitive and ugly, but the game world seemed very compact and folded in on itself for the most part. I liked that it had downtime, storage boxes, and the ability to pre-plan what might come next. Zero lacks storage, and some pre-planning.

6 Has a thread reputation for being TOO OVER THE TOP and\or "stupid". That puzzles me for this game series. It's like asking "has John Woo finally gone too far?" lovely gameplay tutorials and apparently some pretty mechanically heinous campaign sections?

I'm assuming since I had fun with REV:2 that I'll like 6 if I read a guide on it beforehand. Hyperbole aside, is Zero really that bad when it comes to tedium?

REV:1 was a fun time-waster, but mechanically boring. The only one of the series that I've hated was 5. No breathing room, super self-serious. I made it maybe halfway through before I was just not having any more fun with it. I would love to say it's because I played it single player but hoo boy it would have been awful even with a partner. Just terrible imo. Tiny-rear end inventory to micromanage? Pretty racist but they plopped some white guys in there too?

I own them all from some Fanatical insane-o sale from a while ago. (RE3Make is the one I don't own and will play after 8).

Actually seems more likely you're going to dislike RE6 and be okay with zero.

RE6 is very much 5 but even more bloated and linear. I've beaten it once and every time ive tries to go back just to see how it was, I've quit from being just boring as hell.

RE0 has actually grown on me since its at least classic RE style. Most people really harp on the backtracking because of the hookshot. But being able to drop items is super nice too and they're always marked on the map where you left what. It's not so bad keeping little stashes as needed, and rotating them forward as you're done with areas.

The hookshot thing is a problem because after the train it's one of the items you don't use for ages and people forget about it. Even though it comes with you after the train no matter what, they tend to leave it in that starting zone. (And during the train you can get away with leaving the hookshot literally right after you use it initially, iirc). By the time people need it again in late game, they've got to backtrack all the way to that first post-train area. Just make sure to move it up with your stash from time to time as you progress areas.

Only thing I'd really clarify aside from that is explaining the train item thing. When you're ready to get off the train, you'll get to keep everything in bill-beccas inventory plus ten items (prioritized by importance) from the train will be on the ground. So it's best to carry as much as possible before that act break, and actually its more important stuff you want to leave. Still, combine as much as you can to maximize how much you've got in your inventory, and focus on less essentials like ammo/healing/saves since the game will ditch all keys etc you dont need. But if you need space leave every 2 slot item/weapon on the ground since that'll count as one item still. Meanwhile you might end up getting some miscellaneous items you missed or ignored in the train showing up as the non essential items carried over slots if you pack well enough.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The red lightsaber does more damage and I believe the green one actually restores your HP with each hit.

I've no idea what the blue one does.

Red does super high damage slaughter-mode

Green is super weak, but hits restore your health.

Blue has this goldilocks "just right" balance designed to provide lightsaber DUEL moments instead of just ripping down everything. Its powelful yet not strong enough you'll never need to block... which is good, cause the REAL gimmick is that parrys/blocks will damage attacking enemies too.

Still, my favorite thing is how all can become double sided for twice the benefit.

Hands down, one of the best unlockable weapons in the whole franchise. Its wonderful how much thought they put into it.

I only wish they'd changed the blocking stance and attack-ready stance for each other. The default ones look good with a knife, but reversing the two stances would feel more natural for a lightsaber.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Also rocks that it counts for the knife only run

(And no healing item runs lol)

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I appreciate them for sure. Made me feel.... lykin a virgin again. Getting killed for the very first time.

Going into VIII on hard, that first swarm was a perfect reminiscence of that first time playing Resident Evil 4. Youre dying and dying from such intensity, thinking not just "how do I get past this" but "can I even get past this?"

The grab length eventually loses its appeal and could use a work around mid/late game, but man early when each is basically half your health at the start they really sell the deadly.

Their dodging wasnt too unbearavle but since flash items are so incredibly late it probably would've helped having throwable flour packets or reloadable bags too. Also major missed opportunity for using bear-traps. I mean come on.

But i also kind of blame myself for so many grabs and missed shots. It wasn't until I had to do the Lemi mercenaries missions though that I finally realized how much I was under utilizing knee shots for crowd control and steedying targets.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

I heard the Heisenberg fight is some major bs on VoS (it was pretty easy on hardcore).

Eh. I'd guess most people tripped up by that section jumped into VoS from normal difficulty, and/or got complacent cheesing everything with the infinite magnum.

It'll take a few attempts, but same idea as hardcore: he needs reach to hurt you, but you're free to chip away at his sweet spots from afar.

Just double down on that defensive run and run (well, ride and gun). Keep distence. Use your surroundings. Always be gunning. Save those rocket shots for when you really need the emergency distence.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

RE7 season pass is great. Its such a weird assortment of DLC and modes that there's gotta be a couple you really dig.

Like I'm not actually a fan of any of the story DLC at all. I felt like I was forcing myself through them for the sake of having played the story DLC, but the non story stuff are the ones I found actually fun.

I absolutely loved Lucas's take on 21 and that other roguelike mini game where you're crafting weapons & traps to survive the night.

Jack's birthday is really well done too and actually pretty close mechanically to mercenaries. I just never invested the time to learn optimal routes and combos for S rank stuff. Though might still do that eventually. I keep re7 installed to drop back into those modes in case I ever decide to platinum the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

At least seems interesting enough to watch unlike another drat Alice film.

Everything after the 1st (maaaybe 2nd) wasn't even bad enough to be good. Its all insanely boring washed out 00s blandness of stakeless action and stoic protagonists devoid of charm, arcs, or atmosphete.

Yeah, yeah wesker throws his sunglasses and they actually catch them. Okay I like it too, but not going to let that memory trick me again. People looking back only recall those few and far between moments like they're representative of the vibe because the other hour and half of every movie are serious just that monotone you literally can't remember anything else.

JordanKai posted:

I'm super weirded out by the fact that all of the CGI looks terrible with the exception of the Licker at the end, which looks solid. I wonder if work on that shot is further along or if there is going to be such a huge chasm in effect quality in the final film.

:psyduck:

That's actually pretty standard for trailers these days.

The trailer has to come out now while the film is still 2 months out and one of the things they'd be doing in post production is touching up the CGI.

They fact that the licker looks solid is probably a better indication of what to expect, while G mutation probably being work in progress still.