Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.

College Slice

RE0 is just like this big lack of effort. It's RE on a train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Meowjesty posted:

I imagine people are just used to it at this point. I mean, RE5 had secret ancient-African ruins hidden in plain sight that nobody apparently ever bothered to look at. Then RE4 had a giant midget death robot. There was also the bottomless pit of people pods in 5. How did Wesker even build that? How do you just silently build a bottomless pit of people pods in the middle of not-Africa?

I mean at least two games in the series feature orbital laser cannons.

...For a series about zombies Resident Evil is really loving weird.

Let's not forget the penultimate boss in Revelaitons Zombie Humpback Whale

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

I'm convinced the only way to enjoy this game is playing with a friend, while being yelled at my your other friends. Played a few hours of Jake's campaign originally and thought it was terrible. Then played some split-screen for a night, and it all suddenly clicked. Double Dragon jump kicking zombies while screaming for your friend to get his rear end to the choppa is pretty frigging great.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

I think there's been a couple games now that had 9GB day one patches

FFXV actually had a monster patch day 1 because Square realized they forgot to include a story.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Wanderer posted:

There's a strangely nostalgic phrase.

Man. That really brings me back to renting the original at Blockbusters. All I knew of the game was Chris looked really gnarly on the cover.

Remember that the PS1 had a boatload of shovel ware so I wasn't expecting much.

First zombie nearly had me too scared to play. The way they did the sound, the camera direction, everything was crazy new for the time for consoles.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Lasher posted:

Been watching a stream for the last 4 hours or so. It looks like Resident Evil as done by Rob Zombie so far...

Compared to the bland milquetoast competency of most mainstream horror done these days that's actually a compliment.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Backhand posted:

There's not much inventory management in RE7. Some, but not much. And there are some differences in enemy composition and locations and such between difficulty settings, but not too much.

RE7 is loving amazing at first but the problem is it peaks really early, and then slowly peters out until the endgame is blah. Still, while it lasts, it is a top-tier experience.

It suffers from the classic RE problem of the beginning setting being way more interesting and detailed than the settings towards the end. Same with the characters as well.

Still one of the best horror games in recent memory. PT was both one of the best and worse things to happen to horror games as there's been a vast majority of low gameplay walking simulators since.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Capcom knocked it out of the park with the zombie gore. I feel like they have some custom anatomy engine whereas most games go with waay lazier gore. That cop with the jaw almost torn off was gorgeous.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Blonde Chris is as baffling as Brunette Dante.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Evil Within 2 is indeed fantastic. My only real beef is that there's no respeccing. Especially as some ability trees are flat out better than others.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

enojy posted:

Oh sweet, did not know that RE4 was ported to PS4. Totally picking that up next time it goes on sale. I just hope it doesn't feel inferior to play after RE2make.

Resident Evil 4 is timeless. So good almost every 3rd person shooter started copying its behind the shoulder view style

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

RE7 1st person style. But in the new console generation and VR. I also want Ethan to officially join the protagonists club and have convoluted adventures with them.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

One thing I wished they kept in was Iron's "EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE!!" line from the original RE2. It was in the commercials that played all the time and totally hyped my young self up for it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

Now that I've beaten it, I don't understand why people have been saying the game is unexpectedly short. Since when is two separate 6-8 hour campaigns considered short? And that's not even including the B routes.

People are used to playing games for hundreds of hours these days

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Vakal posted:

On the flip side, a handful of zombie dogs was all it took to wipe out like half a squad worth of specially trained police officers and send the rest running like cowards.

Zombie dogs are no joke. I just saw RE: Vendetta and the two chasing Leon were flipping cars that hit them.

What a wonderfully shlocky movie. So much zombie gunfu. And the villian had the most Resident Evil motive ever to turn Rebecca Chambers into a zombie so he could marry her.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

ultrachrist posted:

Several pages ago I asked if anyone had a quick written guide for all parts of the RPD so I didn't forget anything when trying to S ranks. Some goons gave me some good starting points and using that as a base I made my own for Claire A:

1. Go to police station and run through east hall for notebook.
2. Cut tape and run down hall to operations room.
3. Run past darkroom all the way up stairs for spade key.
4. Go thru storage room to library, go to lounge and grab medallion (fish/scorpion/vase), grab the book on way out of library into hall.
5. Run upstairs east to art room for weapon card and gem.
6. Keep going outside to fire escape for bolt cutter.
7. Run into east office for electric piece (middle desk) and valve turner (little office)
8. Go west office and grab the hip pouch from little office and the weapon mod from Leon's desk, then grab the GR from weapons locker.
9. Go upstairs and fix valve, then go to STARS room for battery.
10. Walk slowly there's a LICKER! out to main hall.
11. Run through the zombie hall (they're everywhere now) to operations room for detonator.
12. Library->west storage->medallion (Woman-bow-snake). Fight the dumb licker and don't forget about the zombie too.
13. Grab last medallion in hall (Lion-branch-bird)
14. Go through passage to BOSS FIGHT!
15. Grab box from firing range, get diamond key from morgue, gotta kill lickers.
16. Go to Chief's elevator, then grab heart key.
17. Run downstairs for bejeweled box, licker can be ignored.
18. Run upstairs for gear and battery #1.
19. STARS room for SMG.
20. Records room for crank.
21. Library shelves->clock tower->chief's room for sherry section.

I chose Claire because I like skipping the jail and the easier route from the garage to RPD. I won't like it when I see the sparkshot instead of flamethrower.

Screwed up a few times and still got to the Sherry part in about 50 minutes. I need to up my game for hardcore though, I got bit by too many zombies. I had plenty of ammo, but I just kept running by things and getting grabbed.

I also don't understand lickers. Why does the one in the kennel you shoot first die in one flame round but the 2nd takes a flame round and two clips to the face??? Do they take more damage when unawares?

The kennel feels like another part that assumes you played Leon first. You need to see his version to make the play-on-expectations of Claire's version work. I kind of wish they did make the effort to make both character's paths make sense since that one is clearly Leon got there first and Claire sees the aftermath.

Thanks for this man!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Square needs to step up and release their PS1 rpg Magnum opus: Parasite Eve

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Melee characters seem fairly pointless in Resistance. Even with a sledgehammer I wasn't getting any hit stun on zombies.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

How do I clear out my bobblehead count? Erase my save file completely? I want to platinum this, and figured it'd be easier to go in fresh with a guide rather try to figure out which bobbleheads I already got.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

RealFoxy posted:

Lookup a YouTube guide and play it on Assisted, honestly. If you've already cleared at least once you'll have enough shop points to get some beefy upgrades to zoom through the game. My second playthrough was just getting Bobbleheads and six missing documents and it took two and a half hours since you can see what files you've got in a cleared* save and just hit all the Bobbleheads pretty quickly.

That's a good point about the files

rabidsquid posted:

why would it be easier? if you go to a bobblehead you already got isn't that like, the same thing?

I figured the bobbles would disappear and it would be confusing trying to figure out if I already got it or I'm just not finding it. Do the bobbles stay in the game even if you've gotten them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

They don't, no. I think their sockets might, so that you can at least tell that something used to be in that place.

Cool, thanks. If that's the case then I'll just go in normally.