Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ImpAtom posted:

Guarding is insanely effective but it doesn't look like it should be. They did a bad job of visually communicating it and there's a reason a lot of people just never do it despite repeated prompts.

you can basically walk into any of the explosives in the game and take negligible damage if you're guarding. now i know why monsters always put their hands in front of their face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think we're more likely to end up spending time in an outer space training center in the balkans because actually going to space is not as resident evil as fighting in a zero gravity room thats connected to a tractor dealership inside of a castle that you get to via submarine

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

does RE4 remaster still have the weirdly low res sound files for the merchant and some other stuff?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

veni veni veni posted:

CV was cool when it came out but it doesn't look like it's aged well. If nothing else it was cool seeing RE step into the next gen at the time.I really liked it but I don't remember anything about it and have no desire to return to it.

RE6 was a big turd shooter in a sea of better turd shooters.

man i wish there were shooters that had all the combo moves and dropkicks that re6 had, but better

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Raxivace posted:

Lmao according to one of the wikis he was late because he spent all day getting drunk in a motel after breaking up with his girlfriend the night before.

Clearly the RCPD has the highest of standards.

leons haircut makes a lot more sense with this context

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i really like rev 2 but once you hit the sewer everything after that is a slog

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im playing revelations 2 again and everything up until barry ends up in the sewer is just so loving good, and everything after barry ends up in the sewer feels like they accidentally ran out of game three episodes in and needed to fill out two entire more episodes

also i finally realized in this playthrough that shining moiras flashlight at the explodey goop that ends up on the ground causes it to explode harmlessly from a safe distance. that's extremely useful.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the crotch bug boss is extremely good (?) body horror so yeah thats gonna be a problem

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they've really hosed this whole season pass and dlc affair up, but also is it weird to anyone else how fun a horde mode dlc for re7 is considering how boring it got fighting the mold monsters in the actual game? i mean the combat in the game wasn't really interesting in any meaningful capacity but that horde mode is really fun. i do not get it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Policenaut posted:

I guess Fallout 4 because they jacked the price up on it.

on the other hand buying the fallout 4 season pass just committed you to picking up the tab on their triumphant return to sell you paid mods, so that's kind of a wash.

edit: they actually were kind of double fuckers because they jacked up the price so that people believed more story dlc was coming, but instead surprised! paid mods!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the police chief in Resident Evil 2 is potentially my favorite character in the series when you outline all of his behavior in a timeline. that guy hustled all over the place while also building arbitrary weirdo puzzles all over the police department

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Wonder if Leon is still assigned to protect that buffoon?

seeing as how he is dead, i am gonna go out on a limb and say no

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am extremely glad we're all getting to enjoy chief irons. what a great character, he's quintessential resident evil

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

blackguy32 posted:

My favorite thing about Ben was that he locked himself in the cell, but opened it for an obviously mutated freak in order to get an interview.

you gotta get that viewer engagement my dude

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one really underrated aspect of RE6 was how well designed and integrated jakes unarmed set of attacks are. not the brawling moves but his "fists" weapon for lack of a better word. jake and sherry mechanically were two very fun and interesting characters but they get saddled with some of the more irritating distractions like the snowmobile segment. the hospital sequence was actually kinda fun but it went on for too long.

i also think that part of the feeling that leon was more subdued is that the pacing in his campaign is all slow and loving terrible and i genuinely believe people hated re6 way more at least in part because of all of the people who didnt like the game telling them that the game was bad but at least the leon chapters were good. leons chapter one is absolutely the worst to start with and not at all representative of anything else in the game

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that actually doesn't surprise me too much, the game never explicitly forces you to use them and i am pretty sure the most likely response to that equip is "lmao what why"

edit: they also required some trial and error, for me at least, to get really used to. but once you learned how to use them charging up his dashing attack and zipping in to go wreck poo poo was the best

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the snowmobile stage was legit awful but the first stage being full of guys with guns was fun because jake literally had this charging dash attack as part of his fist combo and the guys with guns didnt matter. but also like i said the game never teaches you this and its not super easy to immediately learn.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think re4 inventory tetris is massively overstated and a thing that is basically just a meme to be honest. the only really meaningful aspect to it is if you take the stock for the red 9 you can have exactly one less grenade. wow, the trade offs! the other trade off for inventory tetris is people dont find out how fun the mine thrower is since they dont want to waste the inventory spots on it.

it suited the game fine but it wasnt some lasting achievement of mankind that would improve every game forevermore.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

lmao

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the revelations 2 inventory system is pretty good especially since you can put the AI partner on healing duty, but it's extremely stupid that you need to have crafting items in one persons inventory.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i know people want RE4 to be a survival horror game because "it's the greatest RE!" and RE5 and 6 are not survival horror and bad, ergo RE4 must be survival horror and good, but honestly it's really not.

although yes depending on the version the game will just not give you much ammo, or will not give you much treasure, but frankly my favorite thing that sometimes happens is when you play efficiently enough that the game thinks you're doing a knife only run and stops giving you ammo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fil5000 posted:

The church is the loving worst. Some people have done the sensible thing and holed up in a big stone building and kept the high speed fleshless zombies out somehow, and Leon and Helena show up and release a loving MASSIVE one into their sanctuary, all because Helena is a garbage person.

she's second only to the old lady in dead rising one who lets all of the zombies into the mall because her poodle is locked in with them

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the hydra shotgun is cool and fun to use so helena is all right by me. its a shame the leon campaign sucks because it has the hydra and the wing shooters and all of the fun counters where you pull an axe out of a zombies head and kill it with it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vikar Jerome posted:

haha, i like how when i watched that late last night the way they show chris then that body's fingers twitching to make you think ZOMBIES but just watching it again thats clearly zoe waking up after the boat in the 2nd dlc. i wonder they'll canonize the choice, then again zoe left on harbor probably ends up calcified too.

also this raises the question of if jack is still around, if zoe is waking up and decalcifying after evie's gone then so will jack? they were both in that green dream thing.

i hope they kept the steroids as the only health item for chris from that old version.

Chris Redfield getting absolutely jacked on steroids is one of my favorite things in the RE universe

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Good soup! posted:

fake edit: TBH, I have never beaten RE0 and I was also put off by the sound of having to change characters or not having item boxes or whatever weird rear end stuff they changed, but I'm interested in how bad the story/dialogue can apparently get, so maybe I can start off with that next week and go through all of them in order

real life edit: perhaps I should include some weird poo poo and play through that Gun Survivor entry on PSOne, but I was planning on saving that for Extra Life

most of what is bad about RE0 is just really tedious and its really not enjoyably bad. i mean there's some stupid poo poo that happens but this is Resident Evil so it's not really noteworthy or exceptional in that fashion

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its awfully swell of capcom to make anyone who bought the season pass feel great about that by releasing the final dlc at the same time as a complete edition of the game for $50. i like how season pass has just become shorthand for "gently caress up my wallet"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Improbable Lobster posted:

Frankly I'm just surprised the final dlc is coming out at all

i feel like even capcom isnt cruel enough to release a game of the year edition version with unfinished dlc

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

any good cruise ship should have no less than a dozen secret passages, two underground vaults and one entire military complex.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i like resident evil 6 because i enjoy equipping my fists in my weapon slot

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i decided i want to play revelations 2 again and god barry chapter 3 and 4 is such a slog, i really like the game but ugh those parts

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

stunning enemies in revelations 1 sucked, although i also couldnt use the little circle nub on the 3ds for poo poo. a lot of monsters get staggered by shooting them in the arm too which isnt super intuitive imo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah i am pretty sure i beat revelations 1 with less than ten melees during the entire run

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its like the total reverse of how i feel about rev 2, a game i largely like other than the last barry chapter.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

okay i have no idea what bad ending y'all are talking about, does that happen if you don't shoot Claires boss as Moira?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah if you just do the hit the button QTE with Claire like the game seems to want you to do you get the bad ending because uh

huh, i didnt know that there was a bad end at all. also i am like 99% certain the game explicitly told me to switch characters when that happened? because i definitely wouldnt have thought to do that.

edit: maybe its the platform? i played on ps4

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 24, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

otoh i definitely think the first half of the game is better, but the sluice master section and especially imo the last barry chapter ugh

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ShineDog posted:

Yeah, re4 is the beginning of the series descent (ascent?) into absolute madness. Everything after act 1 (including every game up till 7) is some kind of bonkers fever dream and I love it.

the series has always been nuts. the layout of the mansion in one, the police station and puzzles in two. i cant really remember much of three to be honest.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

here is a totally non intuitive piece of advise for RE4 that has no spoilers involved: kill all of the birds. save a flash grenade because eventually you will encounter a gigantic mass of birds all together and it will kill all of them and treasure will rain down upon you.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i hate to be that guy that screams to not change something and i really truly enjoyed RE7 but if they remade RE2 in that style it would remove or drastically change everything that was good/charming about RE2. at that point you might as well just be making a brand new game and you'd be pissing a lot of people off expecting, you know, Resident Evil 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Dark Id posted:

That sounds like hot garbage and you should feel bad for thinking it's a good idea. Resident Evil 2 had a LOT of forced combat and everything regarding combat in Resident Evil 7 is the worst the series has ever been. gently caress that noise. That gameplay was hot trash any time there was more than one enemy around.

i think the problem with RE7 wasnt fundamental to the engine or style but the fact that there's essentially one type of enemy you fight that provides virtually no feedback when you're shooting it. it was a conscious design choice that made shooting feel like total poo poo