Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I placed my preorder for the RE:ORC special edition through Capcom's site today, and apparently I get a "Welcome To Raccoon City" sign. Pretty sweet. Too bad Aliens: Colonial Marines didn't have a sweet preorder bonus.

I wish it was the end of March already.

EDIT: Should I even bother with the lightgun games if I don't have a move? I haven't gotten around to buying one yet, but I tried playing Dead Space:Extraction with a controller a while ago and it was pretty unbearable. I wish there was just some sort of lightgun I could buy that meant I didn't have to drop $100+ to enjoy $30 worth of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Policenaut posted:

Operation Raccoon City is getting launch day DLC and its exclusive to 360. The upside? You apparently get to control Nemesis :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckOSVEIOX7k&hd=1

I watched that video today, and I was so pissed that it's exclusive. It looks so bad rear end :cry:.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I got the game today, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I definitely think there's some points that could use some tweaking though.

1. This game is too dark. I mean, I know it's a action/horror game, but I can't see poo poo in buildings unless it's on fire. It might just be my settings on my TV I guess, but there's not enough contrast or something going on in dark rooms, which makes exploring a pain in the rear end.

2. There are two parts in particular that I played in SP that made me want to jump off a bridge. Nicolai's trap with the Lickers and placing the EMPs at the power plant. gently caress both of those parts, they are infuriating with the AI on your side. I'm starting to think that nine times out of ten, when a bunch of big monsters and/or Spec Ops pour out of the walls that you should just say "gently caress it!" and dash to the objective. This has gotten me out of some close calls.

Those would be the two main downfalls for me so far. I will say that I imagine the game gets a billion times better if you play online with friends, but I haven't had a chance to do multiplayer yet. I loving hate playing with pubbies, but for once, it might actually be worth it.

P.S. I still totally love this game.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
So apparently when you melee a zombie with O and then X, you do a brutal kill? I went through almost the entire game before figuring that out. I still have no idea how you're supposed to use the zombies as shields. I guess I should probably read the manual.

What the gently caress was with the double Mr. X fight? Nemesis seemed really, really hard too. Some of the boss fights in this game seem really unbalanced in single player. Same with the BOW swarm levels. As I've played the game and unlocked more stuff, it's become more fun though. I think I will finally start multiplayer tomorrow.

And does anyone know how to change costumes? Or is that only in multiplayer?

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

citizenlowell posted:

Agreed. The number of times I've dropped my gun trying to revive a fallen teammate is infuriating.

This is really the only one that I can think of, but to be fair it is really, REALLY loving annoying.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I'm cautiously optimistic regarding RE6, because if anything, the monster design is pretty solid (and disgusting) which is something I've greatly missed. I'm also not deterred by the co-op announcement at all, since I didn't even realize the potential for fun that RE5 had until I ran through it with my friend. Suddenly, after that, the whole idea made more sense.

Also, Mercenaries owns when you play it with friends. (Please let RE6 have Mercenaries, mother of god.)

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Mogomra posted:

To this day, I've never made it past the tyrant boss fight in the back of the cargo plane. It's like they designed the game so that I run out of ammo just before that fight... I need to pick it up again.

Yeah, I got stuck in the exact same place, and never really enjoyed the game enough to start over. Now that they've done the HD remaster though, I might pick it up and try it again someday, since it's the last of it's kind. I will have to keep that advice about the explosive tipped crossbow bolts and the knife in mind. I'm sure those two things alone will make it a lot more doable.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So how good is the Gamecube remake of the first Resident Evil? I'm thinking about foregoing the PS1 version altogether, because after what felt like two hours of progress, I got killed by a shark thing in the basement of the guardhouse while playing as Rebecca. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing at that point other than trying to find the V-Jolt or make it and I could not do it. Just to clarify, I went directly into the room with the root of Plant 42, saw something shining on the box and tried to interact with it, but I couldn't. So instead I tried to go to the other doors in that room and got killed by the sharks after learning both rooms were locked and it's not like I can just reload a save from the guardhouse, I used my last ink ribbon from after I beat the Yawn the first time and proceeded to make about 2 hours worth of progress before finally dying to that loving section of the game.

It's the best game in the entire series in my opinion, and I've played all of the main entries except for the newest one. Prepare to poo poo your pants when you get to that section in the remake though. I'm pretty sure that and one other special section you'll get to qualify as being the most terrifying section in a survival horror game ever made.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Spalec posted:

I wish they'd port REmake to the modern consoles. Scale up to 720p and just stick it up on PSN/XBLA/Whatever the Wii U service is.

Yeah, I'd totally buy it in a heartbeat too. I've been waiting so patiently, and I really hope the survey that Policenaut mentioned brings it to us. I was so bummed when they closed the survey before I got to it.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Sylphid posted:

Nope, nobody's getting a ticket. Participants only get a ticket when the target it reached, so better luck to RE.net next time. Next one I see is Ogroman genocide round 2, so that'll be pretty easy if last time was any indication.

Ugh, I beat that chapter 4 times, and then I looked at the rankings and saw that some people beat it like 170 times? 4 times was like 2 hours worth of playing the same poo poo over non-stop. 170 times would be like 85 hours of that same poo poo over and over again. That is insanity. Sucks that we were too short by 500 medals. Are these ticket events the only way to get the EX3 costumes? I think RE.NET is a pretty cool idea, and it actually contributes to a desire to buy Revelations, although I am sadly too broke right now. Hopefully it goes on sale for $20 eventually and I can pick it up like I did RE6.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Sylphid posted:

Yep, and the only way to get EX2 costumes. I personally have three to go: Sherry, Piers, and Jake.

It is pretty cool it counts all sorts of things on RE.net. I've played nearly 200 hours of RE6, but considering how many kills some people have, that's like child's play.

Well, at least you can get the EX2 stuff with RE points, which you accumulate normally through playing the game. If you can only get the tickets through specific events, that a much larger pain in the rear end.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
What about Jessica? Seems like the obvious answer to me, what with the hanging plot thread at the end of RE:R.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Wanderer posted:

Hell, it could be Rachel. That lady Gina who dies five minutes into the game has the same last name, and Rachel never actually dies.

Whoa, what? Are you talking about the first or second game here, because if it's the first I definitely missed something. I killed Rachel every time I saw her, but I guess they didn't give her some kind of funerary rocket death FMV thing, so I suppose she could still be poking around, although the whole ship exploded so that seems unlikely.

Golden Goat posted:

Doesn't sound like the same woman who shouts "Me and my sweet rear end are on the way!" while her partner is being mauled by wolves.

I really enjoyed Revelations since it brought the gameplay back closer to what I was looking for, but the way it handled female characters was loving atrocious. I get what they were trying to do with her, but between that and her diving suit, all I could think was "What the gently caress, Capcom?"

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Wanderer posted:

The last time Rachael shows up in the first Revelations is if you visit an area you don't technically have to during Episode 10, when you're going up to the bridge as Parker. They never do anything that would suggest her permanent death, and then the ship sinks. Rachael's still in play.

Maybe, but it wouldn't make much sense, honestly. I mean, you put her down several times, and as far as I remember, there's nothing special about her infection. It's just a standard T-Abyss thing, and while she's pretty persistent, she doesn't seem to have much sentience left. If anything, I think we're to presume her death is permanent because the ship exploded after the last time she got put down, and then sunk. There's not really any plot threads left necessitating her survival, and she wouldn't be able to hide in plain sight like Wesker could. I'll be pretty surprised if she ever shows up again.

Wanderer posted:

I've seen worse, honestly. Jill gets her fairest shake she's ever had in Revelations, since she's more competent than anyone else in the game; Jessica's acting ditzy because she's the double agent, and Rachael is pretty bad but everything about her is in the service of making her into a creepier boss fight.

Yeah, I suppose that's fair. Jill says some pretty dumb stuff in parts, but like you said, she's pretty much the most compentent person on the team. I didn't have too many problems with Racheal, but Jessica's character mostly came off as awkward pandering nerd service. If they did indeed say the first game won't relate at all to the second one, I guess it doesn't really matter, because none of them will show up in the next one. I think it would also be weird for Alexia to be the big villain in the new one. That said, I never finished Code Veronica or even got far enough into the game to ever see her, so I have no idea how they wrapped that story up.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Wanderer posted:

Eh, it's a brand-new virus and Rachael's about six times more durable and persistent than anything else on the ship for some reason, plus she's one of only two infectees in the game that can still talk afterward. Capcom may not get around to its dropped plot threads quickly or directly, but since RE6 picked up on dropped threads that were 14 years old, I'm not comfortable saying "never."

If Capcom's said they aren't referencing anything from the first game in Revelations 2, then fine, that's fair, but I thought it was weird they'd reuse the name "Foley" twice in rapid succession unless there was meant to be a link.

I can't imagine why they would call it Resident Evil: Revelations 2 and not have something linking back to the first game, but then again it's Capcom. All I remember hearing was that it was potentially an antagonist from an older game or a side-story, so maybe it's someone from Resident Evil Gaiden or Dead Aim or something? By the time the game drops and we start playing it, once we find out who it is we're probably all going to be like "WELP" and it'll have been someone impossible to guess. Or someone that makes no sense.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
Apparently there was a DVD released with Revelations in Japan that had Jessica delivering a report to Excella Gionne. We don't really know the exact time period that Revelations 2 takes place, so maybe it's another Gionne or even Excella if it takes place before her death. All we really know about the antagonist so far is that she looks human (based on some screen shots of the back of her head I guess?) and that she knew Wesker at some point. It also sounds just stupid enough to be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
Not sure if anyone else has encountered this yet, but apparently if you die enough times or use the bonus items, you can't get an S rank in hardcore. I'm not sure which thing it is. I beat the game in around 2 hours and 10 minutes, didn't save at all, died 10 times, and was using the infinite ammo AR, the defense and healing coins, the dodge manual, the hip packs, the hot knife, and RAI-DEN. The score it gave me was a B. I'm not super surprised, but I am annoyed that it didn't mention the items blocking above a B rank. Weirdly enough, using RAI-DEN counts as Magnum kills towards that achievement, and using the recovery coins doesn't count against you as a healing item for that achievement. Super weird.

Edit: I figured it out. I didn't notice that the clear times change as you mouse over difficulties. Assisted is 2 hours and 30 minutes, Standard is 2 hours, and Hardcore is 1 hour and 45 minutes. I can't even imagine how that last one would be possible considering I felt like I was hauling rear end through that playthrough and I was passing by a lot of poo poo. That is crazy. Also spoilered unlocks just in case, sorry I spaced on that.

Nails fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 6, 2020