Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Picked up RE6 today, and played a bit of the single player story, but the camera and controls were pissing me off so much I decided to try mercenaries mode. I probably put hundreds of hours into mercenaries in 4 and 5, and it was the main reason I picked up this game mainly for it.

Maybe it's because I haven't played enough to find out how to do it well, but did they completely gimp the melee system from 5? Kneecapping and directional body shots don't seem to do anything at all, and most of the time the zombies don't even flinch. Characters seem to have only a couple melee moves, and not only do the downed enemy attacks not insta-kill enemies, half the time they miss. Is there a way to quick reload from the inventory during animations? It seems like the entirety of the melee system is mashing the melee button 3 times to do a generic combo.

Add to this the camera is jammed up your characters rear end which makes you take up half the screen making it hard to see, it seems like this mode is super sloppy and frustrating to play in the version of Resident Evil, which sucks because I was really looking forward to playing some more mercs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

randombattle posted:

Melee is actually even more powerful but works completely different. Kneecaps and bodyshots don't set up anymore and instead, headshots and shoulder shots are what set up for melee finishers in 6. Don't approach it as RE5 and just try to grasp what it wants and you will see it click into place.

I think the biggest problem with RE6 is people trying to assume that it's just like gears of war or just like RE5 when it's nothing like anything really. It wants you to counter enemy swings and set up melee finishers. Guns are practically a last resort for killing and basic melee is only usable on a single dude or so. You have to stay so mobile with all the gun wielding enemies and they certainly give you the tools to stay mobile with dives and slides.

How do you dive and slide? Saw a couple youtube vidoes of people using it, but didn't see any immediate advantage to dropping down.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Put another 10 hours into RE6 mercenaries, and while I don't hate it nearly as much as I did when I first started, I still think it's much worse than 5's mercs.

Negatives
*Sloppy melee system. No good way to quickly get behind someone to do a back melee attack.
*No invincibility animations for downed enemy stomps (wtf?!).
*No SS rank, and no separate scores and ranks for the different costumes.
*Terrible terrible inventory system. Why do I have to keep switching back to grenades if I want to throw multiples?

Positives
*No pipe manjinis.

I'll probably still play a fair deal of it, but probably no where near as much as I did 4 and 5.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Leyburn posted:

You're making the mistake of going for the melee from behind attack. All you need to do is stun the zombie or javo via a head shot or shoulder shot and the melee attack will be an instant kill.

Also if you shoot a zombie in the shoulder it will spin around making a from behind melee attack trivial.

Melee from the front animations take about twice as much time as the rear melee ones do, and you don't even make back your +5 seconds most of the time when you use them. The only decent front melee kill I've seen is Chris', because you can chuck the enemy into another and than go stomp the second one. This reminds me of another thing I miss from RE5 mercs, which is the melee attacks had a much larger AoE effect. There was nothing funner than knee dropping an enemy and killing the 4 guys around him. In RE6 I'm running around trying to each zombie stomping them 2-3 times before they die even in the head in later parts of the stage.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Tofu in mercenaries would redeem this game.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I wonder why even have a tutorial if you are just going to explain 2 of the mechanics.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

SolidRed posted:

It is almost criminal that the Chris campaign doesn't have a single pop up to tell you to hold X when you get knocked down (aka always) to roll back up to your feet instead of lying on the ground for 20 seconds.

:aaaaa:

I had no idea you could do this. This helps a ton in mercenaries!

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Got my first solo clear on mercenaries tonight, and did they take out the score bonus for finishing with time left? That seems kind of dumb because it seems to be limiting your max score to not much beyond getting a 150 combo. And is there any disincentive at all for not loading up the skill slots?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Pasteurized Milk posted:

My favorite part of Code Veronica is Wesker running off and telling Chris to deal with one of the bosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P14sk2ILOYE&t=76s

Wesker: You're coming with me!
Alexia: :flame:
Wesker: See ya!

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Argh, just got a 149 enemy combo on solo mercs, but in a panic running to the last guy, I accidently action slid over a car hood instead of running up the stairs and lost my combo. :suicide:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Just finished Leon's campaign, and the last chapter might be the worst thing I've done in a video game ever. On the fight on the bridge with Ada I was out of ammo, and the friend I was playing with was out, so I had to run around collecting 10 bullets at a time from the zombies that dropped. The zombies my partner were killing were dropping ammo he couldn't even use, so he just stood around for 20 minutes watching me run around trying to get more ammo while AI Ada just stood around being useless.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Bovineicide posted:

Does Jake's campaign ever suck less, or should I just sell the loving game now? All I want to do is unlock the last goddamn mercenaries map at this point.

I have never regretted listening to goon recommendations more than I do now.

edit: ^^^^ If you and your co-op partner start begging for the boss fight to end, it counts when there's multiple stages.

Me to myself, "Maybe I should work on unlocking the other mercenaries maps."

*plays Urban Chaos again*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Man, I think I'm playing this game wrong. It seems like every single boss fight I use up all my ammo and end up running around scrounging for more bullets. I even melee all the enemies in the normal parts of the stages, but it doesn't matter, and I end up running out of ammo in the first 30 seconds of a boss fight anyway.