Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I made it through Chris chapter 2 last night, and I need to bitch about the part where the first giant B.O.W. comes back after you kill the second one. I figured out that you need to hop onto it when it's reeling against a building, but holy poo poo the QTE to pull the weak point out was retarded. After like 5 failed attempts I had to palm the stick with my right hand and go nuts on it and I still barely managed to get it done. Did I miss something here? None of the wiggling QTEs in the demo nor the prologue were anywhere near this difficult.

Also I too have noticed that enemies (in Chris' campaign anyway) will sometimes just shrug off bullets, especially when they're in reeling animations. This just seems really frustrating because in 4, you can lay into a guy with the TMP and even if they're not staggering, they still flinch for every bullet they take. Here, nothing seems to happen, you get no feedback on whether you're even hurting the guy, unless you manage to hit a limb or the head and cause another stagger. I guess the game wants me to gain some ground during staggers, but when the guy's got buddies behind cover with him, that's not always the best idea. Feh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

What did the half hour prelude when you first turn on the game have to do with anything though? That flashback thing never happened in Leon's campaign.

It did happen, it's the segment leading up to the T-rex fight, but in the prologue it's presented as an herb tutorial and that's about it. You get the "real" version in Leon's campaign. No idea why they did it that way, but then I don't know why they did a lot of the things they did with this game.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

What was the progression system like in the 3DS Mercs game? I'd be down for a stand-alone Mercs game but with gun improvements like in 4 and 5's campaigns rather than 6's skills. Although if they wanted to give us skills on top of weapon mods, I'd be ok with that too.

And make Luis Sera playable. Do it, Capcom.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Semiru posted:

One thing I'm surprised hasn't come up in this thread, mostly because I'm used to the internet being nitpicky as poo poo - noone's mentioned that Chris picks up a weapon in a flashback in Chapter 2, and then has it in Chapter 3 which takes place moments after Chapter 1... where he didn't have it?

I like to think that after the flashback, Chris says to himself "Oh yeah, I used to have one of those!" and jacks a shotgun from one of the dudes in his squad, leaving him with only a handgun. No wonder Chris loses so many team mates.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Tremors posted:

Just make sure you don't have too many tablets, either. :v:

On that note, who the hell thought that capping tabs at 17 when you can create them in multiples of 6 was a good idea? Chances are you're not going to ever have 3r and 3g and no tabs all at the same time (or the inventory space to even entertain the notion), but it is conceivable that you could be only mixing 6 at a time and not getting hit in the meantime. It's just an extra kick in the dick considering how miserable the inventory system is already.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I think the problem is that you can't get rid of guns. At least, I never figured out how to; is there a way? I would have loved to have been able to drop the assault rifle in some scenarios. Whoever thought the ammo stacks for that thing should cap at 30 is a real son of a bitch.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

I didn't realize RE6 was so cheap. $40 is pretty good considering the standard of $60 releases.

With that said, is it worth it? I have heard horrible things about this game but an upgraded version of RE5 is tempting if I can slog through the (supposed) bullshit.

Been replaying on PC after having dropped the console version almost immediately after beating all the campaigns. After beating Jake's, gone up through chapter 2 of Chris, and basically going on memory for the rest, I gotta say that the campaigns are awful but the core gameplay is very good. My one gripe there is enemies get invincibility frames and the player gets pretty much none, which I really miss from 4/5. Mercs is probably the best environment to actually play the game, and it's fun for a while, but I tend to spend more time in the main game with 4/5, so 6 was particularly disappointing/frustrating.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I think I'm experiencing a glitch on PC where if you have a full item inventory, you can't put tablets into the case even if the case has room for more. Or it's just not letting me do it for some other unspecified reason. Gotta love herbs you literally can't do anything with and being forced to drop something/waste ammo. Was this present in the console version too? Why couldn't they just re-use 5's inventory god drat.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

edit: missed a page :v:

You can't add anymore if you already have more than 11, I think, so the max is 17.

Yeah but I wasn't trying to add more than the case would allow. Why can't I add 3 tabs with 13 in-case to clear out two slots? Why are tabs limited to apparently arbitrary numbers? How did Capcom manage to take a system that helps prevent healing items from taking up space and still gently caress it up? I really like the tablet concept but it's like Capcom couldn't let it not be stupid.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

So the demo doesn't support my monitor's resolution, what are the chances that the full game will? Also how are you supposed to set up melee attacks? Popping the basic enemy in the head makes them stagger a bit, but it looks like in the time it would take me to run up to it, it'd be ready to pound my face in before I got there. Also also it is hard to play this game coming off of RE6. :(

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Has Capcom said anything about addressing missing display resolutions? Probably somewhat petty of me, but I'm gonna pass on this if it doesn't end up supporting my res.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Lunethex posted:

You're missing resolutions? PC Demo of Revelations right? I played it myself several days ago and I wasn't missing any. What monitor do you have, can you tell us the technical details on it?

Yeah, PC Revelatioons Demo. My monitor is an Acer x193w at 1440x900, that res doesn't show up as an option. There's a few threads on the Steam discussions page about it.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/222480/discussions/0/828938532993287957/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/222480/discussions/0/828939163875721884/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/231250/discussions/0/810924134080498217/

IIRC, the highest it offered me was 1368x768, which I had to play in windowed mode so the game wouldn't look off. It looks like other people with bigger monitors can go higher, but some just don't get their max native res.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Never stop making these.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Apparently I've got a number of weapons cases on RE.net to send over to my Revelations game and I wanted to know if they're already at whatever level they're gonna be or if they scale to my level when I receive them. Also will the unlockable weapons on the site ever become higher level? By the time I remembered the site existed I'd made it past level 25 and the highest weapons available to buy range from levels 5 to 20.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Capcom can do whatever they want with the main franchise as long as they make a Metal Gear Rising-esque spinoff series where Jake CQCs everything to death in the most ridiculous ways possible.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Broose posted:

Platinum still has to do it though.

poo poo, Platinum should be involved in just about every video game release ever. Do not collaborate with Platinum at your own peril.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

The pacing thing is killed by the co-op focus. You can't have those safe areas where you gently caress around with the merchant or solve a tile puzzle because the other person will get bored. I get wanting a multiplayer element, as it's a big selling point for games these days, but not every game benefits from it being part of the campaign. It's also why the atache case, which was a great evolution of the inventory from the prior games, was ditched. Can't be playing inventory Tetris while a pubbie wants to teabag zombies.

Regarding multiplayer, I like that 5 and 6 had it in their campaigns, but the way they were structured felt like you were at a disadvantage if you weren't playing multi which I think is pretty dumb. I'd like to see an RE game that tries a Peace Walker-type approach, where you're not saddled with a retard AI all the time, but you can have a partner that is inconsequential to the story play with you whenever. I'm actually kind of surprised and disappointed Revelations didn't do this; it would have been great having either player be Jill on their end while their partner shows up as Parker during the missions (yes I know they're separated often due to story crap, or poo poo do like Raid mode and allow both players to be the same person who loving cares just make a fun game), and the cutscenes when triggered just play out as in normal 1-player mode.

If you're playing solo and the game is built like 5 or 6 where you have character options, just have the player choose someone and send them in alone. Have them talk to their partner over a radio or something if they need to have a conversation during a stage. Pretend they were with you all along if you have a section where they split up like Chris and Piers on the bridge in Ch2. Make sure the game can be completed by going solo, but have stuff like shortcuts or ammo caches or something that you need a partner to access.

As far as merchant/inventory stuff goes, I think 5 did about the best job it could, where you just sort that poo poo out between missions, but still have upgrading your guns be a thing. If there's a merchant-type deal available in the stages for single-player, just remove it for multi. Just bring back gun upgrading please Capcom because 6's skills were underwhelming relatively speaking. Hell, do guns AND perks, why not?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Crowetron posted:

I, on the other hand, want Final Fight starring Jake Muller and Helena (Harper?).

Characterization aside, Helena's got a hydra and cool melee attacks, what more can you ask for? And Jake needs a "clean up your dad's mess" deal. Let the newbies have the next game.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Hearing about a new Revelations game is pretty exciting, but I wish they'd implement a Peace Walker-type co-op mode for campaign. Periodically waiting for my buddy to unlock raid stages whenever he has time to play the campaign is frustrating when we should be just blasting through it together.

Really though, PW co-op would have made 5 and 6 much better too. AI partners suck (although I guess they were ok in Revelations in that iirc you could completely ignore them without consequence) and playing with friends owns. Who cares if it makes sense in the narrative.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

If Revelations is console-focused I'd bet it has online play as a basic thing.

I would hope so, but I want whatever campaign they offer to be balanced around single player, while allowing co-op to be possible if that makes sense. Like you'd have AI Parker being his regular unobtrusive self or even absent if the story calls for it, but then you play with a friend and they're your Parker, while on their side you're their Parker and maybe the monsters are stronger to compensate for 2 people. The forced "co-op" with the AI if you rolled solo in 5 and 6 was far from ideal, imo.

I do like playing with friends, but I've found playing the campaigns solo to be where I've invested most of my time in REs 4-6 and 5 and 6 just weren't designed around solo being the optimal way to play and I find it frustrating. You don't have to gimp singe-player modes to allow co-op Capcom, I promise.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

So does Rev2 Raid Mode have any levels like Rev1's where they're basically episodes with remixed enemies or are they all Mercs-style arenas with waves of enemies?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Golden Goat's got the right idea. Build the campaign around single-player, no partner AI, and basically have co-op not change anything except maybe having per-player item drops. If you need to "balance" the game for co-op make the enemies stronger like in Diablo or Borderlands. Rev1 Raid Mode was p much exactly this and it was great and I want more of that but built around a whole campaign not just individual short stages.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

True, I just mean the enemies get stronger according to how many people you're playing with. That or generate more enemies in co-op, maybe both?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I just installed RE5 on Steam and when I launched it installed GFWL. Is this seriously still a thing? I thought RE5 ran through Steam entirely now, do I need to upgrade to Gold for that or what? This is actually the first time I've launched it on pc ever, I'm pretty sure I got it through the RE6 preorder. Do I have an option for not using GFWL?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Well I quit out without logging in to GFWL and relaunched without the GFWL thing popping up. Never got a prompt for the code Steam said I would have to c/p either but it looks like the game is working so all's well I guess. :shrug:

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Been playing RE7 on PS4 and it's been doing this thing where sometimes when I run it it's really loving dark and other times it looks like what I assume is normal brightness levels compared to what I've seen on youtube. I haven't actually changed the brightness settings in-game, anyone have any idea what's going on and how to fix it? Only other game I've been playing recently is MHW and as far as I can tell the issue is not present there.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Sounds like a tv setting maybe? Mine will auto darken scenes that only have a few light sources to avoid... something? It's not burn in because it's an LCD but whatever, at least I can turn it off.

Yeah looks like it's my tv, an old-rear end bravia with auto-dim that I can't find a way to turn off. Pretty frustrating but it's not like it makes the game unplayable so I guess it's not the worst thing. Just caught me off-guard because it hadn't been a problem before in the 9 years I've had the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

DeadButDelicious posted:

Reminds me of that 10-minute RE2 demo on the Playstation, in concept. Think I'll go in blind and just look up the cutscene on Youtube if I never get it. I never got the good ending for Beginning Hour for RE7, so I don't fancy my chances.

The description sounds like everyone is getting the trailer after their 30 minutes is up regardless of their progress through the demo.