Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rented this earlier tonight with my expectations very low since I read reviews that trashed it and called it a jumbled mess. I started off with Leon's campaign and I just got to street level outside the subway station. Gotta say, this game sure does have some neat moments, but they're vastly outweighed by stupid moments which is unfortunate. It also looks like a game from at least 5 or 6 years ago, except for the shadowing which is pretty good sometimes. So yeah, there's a good bit weighing it down, but there is some redeeming value in it. As a rental, it's not too bad so far. I probably would've felt ripped off if I'd paid full price, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Who the gently caress decided it would be a good idea to have the player press Start, then A button 3 times, then Start, then A button another 6 times to start playing the game after loading it from the dashboard? That's just not user-friendly at all :argh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

You can pause if your network is set to Offline when you start playing.

I just figured this out on my own. Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Before, I had my network set to Xbox Live for whatever reason (guess it defaults to that) and I wasn't able to Pause by pressing Start. I'd press Select but that didn't stop zombies from clawing at me while I went to the bathroom or to get something to eat :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speedball posted:

Starting up Chris's storyline after Leon's is a little bit of a letdown.

They must have had totally different scenario designers between the campaigns because it's not just a different flavor of game, it just doesn't feel quite...right.

Is it worth playing? I'm on chapter 3 of Leon's campaign now (there are only 4 chapters per campaign, right?) and I'm thinking of returning the game to Blockbuster after I'm done with this one. Game's alright, and it has a few cool moments here and there, but it's not that great and I'd rather not play through 2 more campaigns if they aren't as good as Leon's.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh loving Christ, a "try to avoid drowning while finding the exit" swimming section? Awesome :rolleyes: Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2. "Colonel, I've got Emma Emmerich here. We managed to avoid drowning! :haw:"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In It For The Tank posted:

Hold L2/Left trigger to activate the path finder. Tap X/A while pressing forward on the left stick. Congrats, the path finder will do all the steering for you, drastically reducing the frustration.

I'm already done with the section. Just defeated the giant zombie whale or whatever the gently caress that thing was. It was just a lovely mechanic to put in the game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This rope-climbing quick time event in Leon's Chapter 5 is the worst loving thing ever. I wasn't getting how to do it at all the first few times, so I'd keep falling back to the beginning of it. Now I think I get how to do it, and I'm making it a lot farther than I was before, but I still fall back to the beginning :psyboom:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

farfromsleep posted:

Those climbing QTEs are explained really badly, I had the same problem. The trick is to keep the previous button pressed as you press the next one, but I didn't get that from the icons at all.

Finally got past it using that trick. Thanks! Goddamn, that was annoying :doh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What in the hell? Simmons just turned into a giant fly :laffo:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

So is GameTrailers known for being overly positive or something? I normally find their reviews good enough, but wow, 8.8 is a really high score compared to what this is getting elsewhere. I know opinions disagree, but it seems odd.

RE6 in no way deserves an 8.8. I'd say the highest it should get is like a 7 out of 10, and that's being generous.

On the other hand, I don't think it's 4.5 out of 10 level bad like GameSpot seemed to think it was. I'd say 6 out of 10 is a nice middleground.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just beat Leon's campaign. Uhhh, what? That was the shittiest possible ending :pwn:

Is one of the 4 campaigns supposed to wrap everything up while all the others have abrupt endings? Because if so, that's awful.

The gameplay has gotten on my nerves, so I'm stopping now. I may watch Let's Plays of the other campaigns at some point in the future, but to be honest, I don't really give a poo poo what happens to the other characters. The game never really gave me a reason to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah; all the endings are kinda bleh. Ada's campaign is her tying everything together and giving the game a proper ending.

But I would have to play through Chris and Jake's campaigns to unlock hers? It's not available to me on the campaign select screen. If so, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Friend posted this on my Facebook and I thought you guys would enjoy:

"Resident Evil 6 is the best game of all time"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fQeoaecSfU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tried playing Dishonored earlier today. Got an hour in and it just wasn't grabbing me at all, so I'm going back to RE6 to finish it and get my gaming fix between now and Assassin's Creed 3's release.

Now here's my question: I finished Leon's campaign, but which one do I play next? Chris' or Jake's? I've heard Jake's is pretty lovely and Chris' is action-heavy, so I'm guessing Chris'.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I started Chris' campaign playing as Piers and I'm on Chapter 2 now. It's decent enough, I guess. Seems much faster-paced than Leon's campaign so far. It's not survival horror at all, though. It's like Gears Of Resident Evil except all the enemies are zombies with guns instead of aliens with guns.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why are the enemies in Chris' campaign about 100% scarier than any of the enemies in Leon's? :confused:

The giant worm thing, the Neo Umbrella elite guys and their mutated forms near the end...some of these designs are downright creepy, but I never felt that in Leon's campaign.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The driving section was fine when you're on the freeway. It's boring as hell, yeah. But at least it's not as bad as it is when you get to the parking garage. Once you're inside the garage, it's dark as hell in there and you can't see where you're going so you just drive into areas of blackness and hope for the best. Sometimes you'll hit a wall and other times you'll get where you're supposed to be going :ughh:

That was one of the worst-designed sections of any video game in recent memory.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bovineicide posted:

Does the unlimited ammo toggle actually work? I've honestly never seen it work.

I think you have to buy it with several thousand skill points for each gun you'd like to use it with for it to actually work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, this "escape the B.O.W." sequence in Chris' 5th chapter is loving infuriating. You have to jump to the next platform right when it tells you to or else your platform gets knocked off by the giant monster. I've had to restart like 8 times now :doh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Waaaaaaait a minute, what the gently caress :stare:

Why did I just inject myself with the virus to battle the B.O.W.? Hahahah

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Beat Chris' campaign. I feel like that final part of Chapter 5 was a taste of what Metal Gear Rising is gonna be like :v:

I don't want to play Jake's now, do I? I enjoyed Chris' about 100% more than Leon's. Will playing Jake's just drag that down?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bloomington posted:

It was at that moment that I knew I made the right decision by playing Piers.

It felt like, for half of the last level, I stopped playing Resident Evil and started playing a combination of Prototype and what I imagine Metal Gear Rising will be :laffo:

Pretty hilarious, but also pretty badass.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I started Jake's campaign and I'm now on Chapter 2, the snow level. Chris, I can't loving see anything :psyduck: All the snow in your field of view looks like JPEG artifacts and it's reeeally hard to see past.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fraction posted:

That chapter just gets worse, too. :iamafag:

Great! :doh:

I found all 3 of the memory cards, now I have to find the cabin. But I have no idea how to get to it. And it doesn't help that it's pretty hard to see where I'm going.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tremors posted:

Did you try holding down left bumper?

Hahaha holy gently caress. For some reason, I used that a lot in Leon's and Chris' campaigns but I haven't used it once since I started Jake's and I kinda forgot it even existed :cripes:

Thanks for reminding me!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh hey, a scripted snowmobile section! This really is Call Of Resident Evil :haw:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RBA Starblade posted:

Did that dlc to play Ada's campaign co-op ever come out? I don't see it on the 360 store.

Wait, that's a DLC item? For some reason I thought that was unlocked once you play through all 3 campaigns. If not, then gently caress it. I'm done after Jake's campaign.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh, okay. Well I don't really care about co-opping this game and I've been playing the rest of the campaigns single-player anyway, so I guess I can play hers that way too :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww man, I just finished Jake's chapter 3 and I thought there was going to be some sort of ridiculous motorcycle vs. tank driving section. I mean it probably would've been horrible, but still funny and I'm kinda bummed they didn't include that.

...unless it's in Chapter 4?

edit: It is in Chapter 4! :laffo: It's not exactly what I thought it would be but it's very close.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 22, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just beat Jake's campaign. How loving goofy was that ending? Even down to the music that plays over the credits. Punching a giant mutant into a pit of lava and then him coming back to attack you again was stupid as hell, too. But I still enjoyed it, probably because it was so drat ridiculous.

Overall, I had a lot more fun in Chris and Jake's campaigns than I did with Leon's. I think I'm thoroughly done with this game now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GUI posted:

Jake's campaign is the worst one in the game.

Also stop listening to goon recommendations.

I didn't think so. I thought Leon's was the worst of all, and his was the most Resident Evil-y too! It was mostly survival horror while the other 2 were like big budget action movies, but for some reason those 2 ruled and Leon's was awful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jblade posted:

While I wouldn't go far to say it was awful, Leon's was my least favourite of the game too. Which is funny because my reaction when I played the demo was the complete opposite. I do wish more of Jake+Sherry's campaign was like the Chinese villa section after escaping. Just running around an area at my own pace was cool.

Well it made me want to quit the game for good, but I'm glad I didn't because Chris and Jake's campaigns were much more enjoyable.

And yeah, I enjoyed the spoilered part as well :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thievery posted:

Also people complaining about the rope climbing, it took me all of four seconds to work out how to climb them and it's a control method used multiple times in all of the campaigns. It's even used in Leon's campaign BEFORE you get to the rope, so how the gently caress loads of you seem to find it frustrating and difficult I don't know.

Leon's rope climbing part took me like half an hour to get the hang of, whereas Jake's rope climbing part at the end of his campaign took me less than a minute to figure out. They're the same game mechanic, right? Leon's just seemed a lot more unforgiving.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

poptart_fairy posted:

I have no idea if I should be jumping between campaigns or playing one at a time or or or or or

Play one all the way through, then be disappointed. Play another one, then be slightly less disappointed. Play the third one and be even less disappointed but still not totally thrilled.

Some story elements carry over between the campaigns but you won't get all of it by just playing one of them. Certain things are resolved in each. Some less interesting than others.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Game is great! I Redboxed it last night, stayed up all night and beat Leon's campaign around 9:30 this morning :v: Now I'm going through Claire's.

The scariest thing about this game is the Tyrant/Mr. X. He's just this big hulking monstrosity that never loving dies. He just gets knocked down and then gets up again. You're never gonna keep him down.

I thought the lickers were terrifying during Leon's campaign, but with Claire I can just put them down in one hit with a flame round in the grenade launcher, so they aren't that scary this time around.

Question: I'm trying to get to the Clock Tower as Claire to get the other electronic part to solve the Private Collection Room door puzzle. I already have the first electronic part from the East Storage Room. I need the green club key to get into the records room to access the Clock Tower. With Leon, I know the green club key was in the Boiler Room, but I'm at the Boiler Room now and it's all boarded up and I don't see a way in. Is the green club key in a different location when you play as Claire?

Some of these puzzles have been easy enough for me to solve, but some of them really throw me for a loop.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Barudak posted:

Claire gets the heart key not the club key
I have the heart key already, but how the hell do I get to the Clock Tower then?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Barudak posted:

The records room has two doors that open to it, one for the club key one for the heart key.
Ohhhhhhh, okay!

I never played the original RE2 so I'm not used to all this backtracking and key finding and puzzle solving in games nowadays haha. I've done it before in several of the Metroid games, for example, but the last one of those I played was over a decade ago. Did RE7 do stuff like this? I don't even remember.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yikes, I'm going through the orphanage now :stare:

I guess this game gets pretty dark, huh???

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Flannelette posted:

This seems like a dumb question but what poisons you? There aren't any spiders anymore or poison plants

Digital_Jesus posted:

I asked myself this several times before just googling it. Apparently the mini-Gs in the sewers do if you get hit by their grab attack.
Yep. I got poisoned this way last night when I was going through Leon's campaign. My inventory was full and I couldn't find the right herbs to mix anyway, so I stayed coughing for a while there lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Claire's campaign and especially the Sherry part in the orphanage has totally felt like DLC so far. It feels like Leon's was the main campaign and this is just like a bonus mission for after you finish his campaign.

Was the Sherry stuff in the original game at all? I can't imagine that hide and seek puzzle thing being in a game from 1998.