Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone else have audio issues on PC? They cut out randomly get really out of sync and are the worst during cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Doomykins posted:

Gonna push back on CV being a "boring traditional RE game" every time as a 2000s kid who lived it. CV was better received back in the day because nobody really had an iron grip on 3D level design at the time and no 20 years of rising standards to compare it to. CV is five years before RE4 releases, we weren't bored of traditional RE yet and CV was the first step into full 3D space. Resident Evil was still the gold standard of spooky 3rd person action games because a lot of the competitors were hack jobs who didn't have 20 years of experience to rely on at the start of their new zombie series, let alone that Capcom could flex and experiment with adjacent series like Dino Crisis. CV was well received as a strong RE title by critics and fans alike. Everybody thought cat eyes anime Wesker was cool as hell and a natural progression of the RE supervillain: inject virus, get superpowers. RE5 didn't happen in a vacuum.

Side note on traditional RE design: RE1R will release in 2002 after CV. I'd venture a guess that it doesn't actually matter if a RE game is tank controls and tension or shooty, quippy and fast as long as it's good. RE3 pitched the idea of more action and CV was the first big play with full 3D, Capcom walking before running away with the genre with RE4.

CV is also surprisingly good on tone aside from Steve and Alfred's worst bits. I still like the cutscene before the Steve "fight", it had some bits that worked better than they had any right to, and overall it flowed well enough as Resident Evil 2-2. Has one of the better Tyrant presentations despite still being "wall of meat advances on you and swipes, ammo dump to win" early series design. Nosferatu is one of the best designed tragedy dumps in the series.

I'd think of CV this way: it's the Dark Souls 2 of the series. It's extra weird but does some things right that maybe they should look back on and the greatest sin it commits, which is legitimately unforgiveable to many players, is that it's a 7/10 in a series of 9/10s. Does CV have loads of problems, like puzzle placement and level design? Sure. Room for improvement? Definitely. But I'd be down pretty bad for a remake of CV in the moon engine, especially with that expanded Nosferatu presence idea in this thread. Prison into Mansion into Arctic Lab Finale with the Old Man/Alexia down there at the heart of the rot.

It also perfectly fills the gap coming up of having a split in the fanbase where people beat RE4R and wonder who Ada is talking to. If RE4R is your first RE game, could you tell me who Wesker is? 2R? 3R? 7? 8? We're 7 years into the new gold standard of RE timeline. I admit they could just have Wesker taunt you a few extra times in the early chapters of an RE5R to get the job done, but Capcom I can't stop buying your games feel free to make more.

I remember really liking RE Code Veronica when it came out. I was also the guy who would do runs back to back in Resident Evil 3 until I got a beat time of like an hour 15. I think one time I beat that game 5 times in the same day.

But I also remember reviewers turning on the product by even RE3. I remember a lot of terms like backtracking said with derision or it doesn't do enough to change the formula. Then again these are the same reviewers who hated the first games with modern thumbstick controls because they were different.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

i'm the freak that likes backtracking, especially if there are changes to the environment and especially if the changes depend on your actions within the zapping system!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Tyrant got that hank hill rear end