Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Digital Scumbag posted:

I don't think you remember how bad the second movie was. A quick rundown of scenes in which you should smash your face into a desk in lieu of watching:

- Jill needs to be saved by Uwe Boll's waifu Jovolich at every loving opportunity. Jill does literally nothing in this movie after her scene where she shoots zombies in the police station. She even tries to have a cool moment where she throws the matches to light an inferno, the matches go out, and Millia coolly flicks a cigarette. :rolleyes:
.. The actress who played Jill actually played RE3 to study for the role.

-
Boll must've really liked All About The Benjamins. Everything Mike Epps has ever said is stupid. T-Virus is "crazy white-folk poo poo". "My poo poo is custom made." "I usually drive cadillacs." "GTA, motherfucker! 10 points!"

- Fistfight with Nemesis (which as mentioned, is a romantic sub-plot).

- Zombies popping up through the graves in order to be uppercutted by Alice as soon as they pass the graveyard.

But yeah, the real thing that gets me is just how anemic the cast is without Alice. Claire does get to do one slo-mo thing in Afterlife, but this is after watching about an hour of Alice do backflips down a building and toss guns into the air in slo-mo. Boll is such a patronizing rear end in a top hat, Alice even does Claire's thing with the gun from the CV intro.
Really, gently caress this movie. It's amazing it only got worse from here.

Uwe Boll had nothing to do with the Resident Evil films. You're thinking of Paul W.S. Anderson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Digital Scumbag posted:

I sometimes get talentless hacks confused. You know I meant Anderson, blackguy32. Sorry if I threw you off.

You just said it with such conviction that you even convinced me that Boll did it.:golfclap:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

RE2. It happens on the B scenario when you're entering the police station IIRC.

It happens in both scenarios in the same place.

Although I hate the loving door loading screens. I was playing it over at a friend's house and he pointed it out to me that I was watching those loading screens almost as much as I was playing the actual game. Then once I bought the DS version of Resident Evil 1 and the PC version of Resident Evil 3, they let you skip the loading screens, and my game time was much much quicker as a result. Skipping that stuff can take 45 minutes to an hour off of your game time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

stratdax posted:

Until the camera angle changes and you end up running in a tight circle while trying to run away from a zombie. The whole reason for the tank controls is so that forward is always the character's forward, left on the control pad is always the characer's left, and right is always right, no matter what angle you're looking at him from.

Devil May Cry got around this by allowing the direction you were holding before the camera changed to move you forward, and switching it to normal the moment you let off the stick. So there are ways around it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

To be honest, I really enjoyed the survival aspect - limited ammunition, creepy mansion, puzzles that could kill you and the sense of isolation. 4 was a great game, but I never felt that I had to survive and I never had to really pick battles since I knew ammunition was never an issue. 5 moved even more away from the survival aspect than before. It feels like a slowed down version of Gears of War.

Not that 4 or 5 are bad games. I enjoyed the hell out of both, but playing the originals again really makes me miss how Resident Evil used to be. The feeling of isolation and sometimes true helplessness really adds to the mood of the early games.

[edit]
One other thing I would like to mention as a negative in the original is all the backtracking. A lot of my time was spent going back to rooms that I forgot to unlock or going to the 3 safety rooms in the mansion to save. I liked the limited inventory system because I felt it added to some depth to what items you could carry, but I didn't like having to go all the way back to a safety box just so I could grab these 2 gems or this crank to move on the the next area. Someone that has played the game before would know which items to have at which time, but as someone new it felt like I was guessing most of the time.

Dont play Resident Evil Zero. The inventory poo poo is probably the worst part about that game.

In fact, if they were to actually get rid of that stupid inventory system in it and added the storage boxes back in, I would probably play it again/a lot more.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Bring back the item boxes, take out the stupid 2 weapon slot poo poo and take out the hookshot.

Resident Evil 0 is now playable.

Hookshot is fine once you get rid of the other 2 problems.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dino Crisis 1 is a pretty fun game but now that I think about it, I don't think I ever used my weapons in it other than a few times. It really is just so much easier to run from everything. Its also pretty crazy that there are 3 endings with one of the endings being kind of hidden. Its definitely worth a playthrough

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I remember being so surprised in Dino Crisis when the raptors start pulling a Nemesis and following you into rooms. Like I think that was a thing in DC1.

I think so too, but I think it was only certain rooms that they did it in. Its also quite amazing how limited the game is. There are only about 4 different enemies in the entire game and there are only 3 guns. But its a fairly interesting game

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OldMemes posted:

Is Resident Evil: Deadly Silence for the DS a good port? I've never played the original, and I've enjoyed a few of the DS ports of classic games like Chrono Trigger and Broken Sword - the problem is I can't find a copy for less than £40. Is it worth paying that much for it?

Its basically Resident Evil on a handheld with a few extra features.

From what I remember

-There is a dedicated knife button so you always have the knife on you.
-You can skip the door loading screens
-There is a mode made for the DS that changes some of the puzzles to use the touch screen and mic I believe.
-There is a multiplayer mode that I never touched.

Overall, if you really love the original, then buy it. But I really don't think its worth paying a lot of money for it when you have already beaten it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OldMemes posted:

I've actually never played a Resident Evil game before.

Are you planning to add to the side games section in the OP soon? I'm actually really interested about hearing about them.

I say go for it then. Out of all the ports of RE I have played, that one is probably the best one. Although it does lack the arrange mode from the Director's cut.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OldMemes posted:

Does it have the original awful voice acting? If not, that's a kind of a deal breaker for me :colbert:

Its the original in almost every way. So yes, it has the awful voice acting.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Silhouette posted:

Congratulations, you're 1/4 of the way through the game! :v:

Resident Evil 2 was a really good deal. There is a lot of game packed into those two discs.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

The real problem is that Resident Evil 1-3/CV's gameplay 'fun' comes from measuring risk versus reward in terms of finite resources. Each enemy encounter is an exercise in asking yourself, "can I dodge this enemy? If I try and fail, can I spare the health item to tank past it? If I don't try to dodge it, to save health items, can I spare the ammo to kill it?" With an infinite amount of ammo, you don't have to weigh any choices, you just go 'blam,' and considering that things like 'aiming' aren't involved in the gameplay, that gets boring very quickly. There's no 'game' left over. The only enemies that you would fight without just being rooted down in one place and hitting 'aim, then fire' are Nemesis and maybe the Tyrants. Infinite ammo in RE4 or RE5 can make those games fun because part of the gameplay is simply the visceral thrill of aiming well and taking down enemies who are threats to you if you don't. In the early games, not so much.

Resident Evil is pretty much TOLL COLLECTOR 1996.
A zombie appears and blocks your way!
"To pass my hallway, you must pay me [six] bullets!"
>Pay the zombie [six] bullets
Sneak past the zombie. [60% chance of success]

I agree with this. In fact, most of the challenge comes from finding out how you will get past the initial few zombies before the game will eventually give you shitloads of ammunition.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I enjoy how the flamethrower is always worthless. It's Chris's extra weapon (compared to Jill's Bazooka) yet you only get to carry it for about 1 minute. Also, it sucks in RE2. Its only good use is killing plants.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I am excited for Operation Raccoon City. Im not in the "better than I thought it would be" camp, but I am actually excited to play the game. I like how they are mixing it up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I always found the whole "on-disc" arguments to be rather weak because what people are essentially saying is that as long as the developers don't put it on the disc then its ok.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SpitztheGreat posted:

And this right here is the general attitude taken towards REC:V. Ever since RE4 was announced I argued that Capcom was doing an intentional job at burying Code Veronica. Yes, I realize that they did re-release it on the PS2, but that always just smelled of a money grab. More seriously though, I think Capcom regretted, almost immediately, that they put the true sequel to the franchise on the DC and not the PS2. It's been a long time now, but lets not forget how heavily invested in the Dreamcast Capcom was. Yet it was a system that was doomed to die early. But they made their choice and then tried to rewrite history. REC:V was never mentioned in later games (though I haven't played 5) but RE2 is CONSTANTLY spoken about. Everything is told in relation to RE2, but REC:V is the more recent event and yet never seems to cross any character's mind. Capcom's attempt to bury the game went as far as to change the numbering of the games. RE-RE2-RE3-RE:CV-RE4 is the correct order, but it's very easy to see that over time people can become confused on where REC:V comes in the order.

I think REC:V also has the distinction of being the game that was just a bridge too far. It was lauded at the time of its release but I feel that it holds up the poorest of all of the original four. RE1 is a brutal game to play by today's standards, but as a classic its age can be forgiven. REC:V really display's that the franchise really did need to take a dramatic new turn. The gameplay had gotten very dull. Anyone who had been playing the franchise since the beginning was now so well versed in how to play that there was almost no challenge in it. Aside from the very frustrating boss fight in the cargo plane there is almost no sense of the player ever really being in over their head. To make up for this Capcom made the game very long (by RE standards), but this doesn't mean much when the gameplay is stale.

With this point in mind it is easier to understand how Capcom came to the conclusion to reboot the franchise and thus pretend REC:V never happened. They instead rebooted the franchise from the strength of RE2 which allowed for a lot more potential story lines than REC:V did.

I think RE CV is referenced in Wesker's Report. Also, RE:CV pretty much created modern day Wesker.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I remember confrontation being a piece of poo poo on release, but I do know that it got more and more playable as time went on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nails posted:

So apparently when you melee a zombie with O and then X, you do a brutal kill? I went through almost the entire game before figuring that out. I still have no idea how you're supposed to use the zombies as shields. I guess I should probably read the manual.

What the gently caress was with the double Mr. X fight? Nemesis seemed really, really hard too. Some of the boss fights in this game seem really unbalanced in single player. Same with the BOW swarm levels. As I've played the game and unlocked more stuff, it's become more fun though. I think I will finally start multiplayer tomorrow.

And does anyone know how to change costumes? Or is that only in multiplayer?

Shield is just hold the melee button, thats it. You can also do a character unique execution by pressing melee then your ability button but your meter must be full.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

ORC is to the Resident Evil games what The Resident Evil movies are to the uh, Resident Evil games. This poo poo sucks.
Im enjoying it and considering buying it after renting it from the redbox today. The multiplayer can get awesomely hectic when bullets are flying everywhere and you're running past zombies.

Also, the ending is hilarious if you choose to side with Leon. Hey we have been following Umbrella the whole game! Oh, you won't pay us three times the money? Well gently caress you, we are going to destroy Umbrella! I can understand them not giving Sherri to Umbrella, but the whole "destroy Umbrella" thing was a stretch.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

What is everyone's loadouts? Characters that they play as?

Im rolling with Lupo using the ravager assault rifle and Guns a blazin with the default pistol (Im trying to save up for the samurai edge).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I just added a bunch of you as friends on Xbox. This game surprised me in that I know its got its problems, but the gameplay is just a great blend of different things that makes it interesting. That moment when you make someone bleed and all the monsters swarm them is euphoric.

my GT is: Blackguy32

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Should we start a new thread strictly for RE:ORC stuff, or is this one fine? I was thinking we could add gamertags and PSN screennames as well as good weapon layouts and also using it to set up games and stuff. But then again, that stuff is just fine here too.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Duel posted:

This game is a true RE game when it comes to plot holes and sillyness, but really fun to play as an online game.

I've tried using the "special" attack which is assigned to my triangle button for several characters, and nothing is happening, so what the hell am I doing wrong? (Yes, it works fine with every other game)

Have you unlocked an ability first? Also if you are talking about the melee one then you have to press circle and then press triangle once they are staggered.

Also the biggest point of idiocy in the campaign is when Umbrella leaves them for dead and pretty much actively trying to kill them. So what does your team do? They go right back to working for Umbrella in the next level.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nohman posted:

It probably doesn't help that Capcom has been hemorrhaging talent like crazy over the last few years and anyone who helped make a decent old school Resident Evil game has jumped ship ages ago. Plus they've just kind of got a raging boner for getting sales numbers like Call of Duty and the like in the west but not actually having any clue how to actually manage that. Which is why we've got poo poo like Resident Evil Socom and Devil May Cry grimdark reboot.

Im not going to lie, the old games were fun, but we have had like 4 of them (5 if you want to count the first Dino Crisis). Im more interested in them trying something new, which i sort of got with ORC.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

How far in is this?

I think it happens at the end of level 5? Its right after the level where you face the two tyrants. Your team is pissed that Umbrella left them to die, and then in the next mission, you just forget about the whole thing to go destroy evidence in Birkin's lab.

Also, anyone on Xbox down to play some versus later? What would be better for versus? The ravager or the mob special?

Also its just so much easier to let Leon live because he is a dick to fight against.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Mob Special. One of the big deals I find in Versus is that I run out of ammo fast in a clip at the worst times, and a lot of cases you end up in close range with enemies, so being able to shoot longer and have more spread helps out. Plus if you've got Lupo, you can increase reload speeds by 100% and activate infinite ammo so you can just unload.

I beat Leon without taking a single hit though. You take the sniper rifle located at the little room at the top of the stairs from where you start then kill the two soldiers, then you can just snipe at Leon as he cowers in cover. I went the entire fight sniping at him across the map while he tried to shoot across it with his assault rifle. Granted it took like almost all my ammo but I did it.

Yeah, but that ending afterwards is just brutal. :negative:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Radish posted:

Just curious but what's the best load out for Beltway? Sticky grenades don't seem to do much damage and the mines don't feel very useful when you have to place them and run back and wait for enemies to run over them.

I don't know but Beltway's skills all seem to be pretty useless.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Also applies to enemy players, as I unfortunately found out I think.

So apparently Melee then Action button results in a brutal kill, usually a face stomp. Melee then Ability button results in role specific kill. And then I think there's another combination that results in you shooting the enemy's face at point blank?

If you hold the melee button like you are taking a zombie shield to a Spec Ops, you will hold them at gun point. You can then either pretty the fire button to execute them or press the melee button again to knock them out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Revitalized posted:

ah so I must have held the button instead of mashing it at some point. Is there a point to knocking them out as opposed to executing them? I got knocked out once and just got back up and shot the dude while he was distracted.

Also while talking about that, is there a difference between using the ability brutal kill versus the regular brutal kill? The only difference I *think* I'm noticing is that the ability kills are slightly faster in animation, so you aren't as vulnerable for as long. Otherwise why expend your ability cooldown for it? (minus Beltway/Tweed's detonation kill)

Different classes have different specific melee kills. Four eyes I think sticks a control pheromone grenade in them. I think Spectre punches them with a flash grenade. I still haven't figured out what Lupo's does except for knock down everyone around you.

And from what I can tell, there is no reason at all to just knock them out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

joneswt posted:

Yes, it kills and infects them at the same time. Four Eyes is seriously the best character. Specter is a close second.

I would say this, but I think she is pretty average when playing against actual players, while Lupo is almost overpowered thanks to her Super Soldier skill.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The more and more I play, the more I hate the versus mode. There are some serious balance issues that need to be addressed.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Its not, but I noticed it when I was playing through single player, I just wasn't sure.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

What's the best version of RE4 at this point? I'm guessing the 360 version?

Wii version. Better aiming.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Not going to lie, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with Operation Raccoon City, despite the glitches and balance issues.

And now I'm waiting for my Echo Six expansion. For now, I'll just have Arkham City fill my void.

I still enjoy it, but I desperately want them to fix versus, because it would be fun if it wasn't so drat broken.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I'm going with "FF7: Advent Children" full-on comeback. Like maybe the C-Virus combines with the Wesker gene and suddenly D.C Douglas emerges from the mutation!!!

Not gonna lie. I will be pretty pissed off if they do this. They have already done it once before, and the more and more you do it the more trite and lovely it gets. Capcom did the same thing for Megaman with Zero and the series never really has been the same since. Just kill him off and move on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SolidRed posted:

Get ready to be mad then because unless we all think Capcom is going to make Ada the main villain of RE6 I think we're in Wesker town. Whether it's Alex, some kind of Weskers son blood/c virus recreation by Ada or Ada's clone I'd bet my bottom dollar on Wesker being in RE6.

That said maybe having a female villain will be good, the last time we had a female villain in a Resident Evil it turned out (RE:CV spoilers)that Alexia was actually Alfred Ashford cross dressing with a split personality. Hell she/he even spoke to herself. What a twist! Then it turned out Alexia was actually also real and Alfred only developed the split personality because she froze herself for 15 years and he was lonely. Really it's a shame Code Veronica was so hard as it's really one of the better of the old resident evil games in my opinion. Lots of cut scenes and terrible dubs make for an exciting adventure. I hope whoever voiced Steve never gets another job dubbing ever again. It was so bad they could have picked a stranger from the street and he would have done a better job.

RE:CV is actually one of the easiest in the series thanks to the godly knife.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SolidRed posted:

Maybe I'm just bad at the game but it wasn't as easy to just kill zombies with only the knife as goons said it would be. Generally the knife would be used after shooting the zombie down onto the ground since attempting to abuse the knife strategy just led to taking damage too many times in a row.

If i had to pick the easiest game in the series it would be between RE4 and 5 not Code Veronica(also RE3, 2 and 1 but that's just me).

If you can judge the distance right, you can do it pretty reliably. Also, past a certain point, you have more than enough ammo to just blast through everything.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The versus mode isn't bad persay, it's just horribly balanced to hell and back. I like the premise, but I don't like the execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Coop is a blast and I wish it was longer. But the versus mode, which is what I think most people were excited over before release ended up sucking horribly. I mean, they nerfed induce infection? That was one of the things that didn't really need a nerf since if you have a competent team with a medic, it was harmless.

Super Soldier and Painkiller are the most overpowered skill in the game. Its pretty much those two classes duking it out using Juggernaut shotguns.