Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alteisen posted:

They did the same with lost planet 2, no idea what the hell is wrong with Capcom, if you're gonna half rear end splitscreen like that, why bother including it in the first place.

I think it's to keep the same screen ratio. If I am not mistaken I think Uncharted 3 does split screen like that. If it didn't things would look really stretched and distorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Leyburn posted:

I dunno man 5 was pretty wacky. I mean there is everything Wesker did, and that one guy turned into a massive sea monster and then there is the boulder incident.

Don't forget "COMPLETE... GLOBAL... SATURATION."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I consider 1 to be a lot more difficult than the rest. Try to play the Remake at some point.

In RE2 some decisions you make will affect scenario B.
There is a much easier way to deal with the crocodile than just shooting at it in RE2.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im trying to think of more hints, but honestly I think they are pretty straightforward games.

Although thinking about Resident Evil more has made me yearn for a Dino Crisis game styled after RE 4 and 5 that has an atmosphere like Dino Crisis 1 :(

It would be like my own personal Jurassic Park video game based in a style that I like.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Considering I'm already going to get the Anthology, I'm going to play the RE1 that comes with it. It's the Director's Cut edition of that means anything.

And I've actually played RE2. On the N64.

Hmm... Jill's playthrough is quite a bit easier than Chris's so you might want to try to play with her first.

Make sure you have a decent amount of stronger ammo (Shotgun or better) before you return to the mansion.

Kill the zombie at the beginning of the game and check under the corpse for 2 very much needed clips.

Finally: Pray that it isn't the Dual Shock version of the Director's Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Leyburn posted:

You know, I never understood people who said the original Resident Evil was scary, until now.

Well, this is the original version of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITJuWV3HXg

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The knife wouldn't be so bad if they followed what the DS version of RE1 did with it and have it as a permanent item much like RE4.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Thanks, this seems pretty useful. I was really just going to run through for the story and sort of 'evolution of Resident Evil' sort of thing.

Anthology doesn't come with Code Veronica though. Or Resident Evil 0. From what I hear, that's a good thing.

I can deal with tank controls though. I've played through Deep Fear (it's a pretty awesome Resident Evil but set in an underwater place kind of thing) and I'm thinking of buying Dino Crisis 1 to help hold me over until October.

If you get Dino Crisis 1, make sure to get Dino Crisis 2 as well. I actually think that 2 is the better game.

Dino Crisis 1 is a fun sort of survival horror game, but I think it is hampered by having a lack of variety in both enemies and weapons which is exacerbated by having one of those weapons being completely useless (pistol)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

I'm doing Amazon because the other stuff isn't worth paying taxes/shipping on. And amazon gets to me on release day.

Also, I'm going to take a guess and say the codes are individual, so you should be able to sell the code if you want to, or sell the game itself and take it digital. I'd imagine it'd sell pretty fast for ten bucks or something like that.

I'm just happy to make it simple and have the entire worthwhile Resident Evil collection on PS3 with hdmi out and wireless controller. (pending code veronica ps2 release I suppose)

Code Veronica is already on the PS3 store I believe. You owe it to yourself to play the Remake of 1 though, the differences between the original and remake are like night and day.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mogomra posted:

To this day, I've never made it past the tyrant boss fight in the back of the cargo plane. It's like they designed the game so that I run out of ammo just before that fight... I need to pick it up again.

Save the BOW gas rounds for that fight. I think if you use all 3 of them and then shoot a few more shots into him, he will be ready to send out of the plane.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mogomra posted:

To this day, I've never made it past the tyrant boss fight in the back of the cargo plane. It's like they designed the game so that I run out of ammo just before that fight... I need to pick it up again.

Save the BOW gas rounds for that fight. I think if you use all 3 of them and then shoot a few more shots into him, he will be ready to send out of the plane.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

I think I hosed up Code Veronica twice, got to the plane fight without enough ammo and then second time through I took some good stuff to fight Nosferatu, I'd missed the assault rifle in the arctic and probably hosed up getting the magnum as well so Chris had no good weapons at all. That game had some real bullshit aspects.

The Assault Rifle kind of sucks, and the magnum isn't really necessary. I think I only ever used the magnum on Alexia

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

AASman posted:

Why do people hate RE0? I picked it up at a flea market a while back and plan on playing it. I don't really care about the story in RE that much (to me its cheesy, but its meant to be that way to be entertaining and keep you interested as you play) I'm just hoping its on par with REmake as far as atmosphere, old school RE gameplay, and good looking pre-rendered back grounds.

The inventory system is a pain in the rear end. Each character can carry 6 items giving you a total of 12 slots at any given time. This wouldn't be so bad, but there are several weapons in the game that take up 2 slots. There are no item boxes, so anything you drop, you need to backtrack for. You could leave stuff in a centralized location, but it still isn't as convenient as the item boxes. Combine this with the fact that there is a required item that takes up 2 spaces that you will need at least twice in the game if not more and you have a annoying as hell experience.

I guess the game isn't terrible. But it simply feels so uninspired. Most of your enemies are mutated insects and animals like scorpions and monkeys. I guess it would be ok to play if you were starving for Resident Evil games, but there are much better Resident Evil games out there that are more involving than Resident Evil Zero.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

Anyone got a good walkthrough for Code Veronica? I always have trouble with it and I'd like to go through it the "right way" this time. I started watching a video walkthrough on youtube but it became clear right away the dude sucked as he didn't use the knife on zombies at the opening and got bit to all hell almost every time he would encounter anything. I know there is a certain way to do things to maximize your playthrough and I'm just wondering if anyone has something handy to guide me?

I always preferred CVXFreak's walkthrough on the game since I didn't think it was too long winded. What exactly were you looking for help with?

-Equip the lighter when around bats.
-I usually only use explosive bolts for bandersnatches
-Regular arrows are pretty terrible, but there are shitloads of them and they aren't awful for lone zombies.
-Save the BOW gas rounds for the airplane fight against the Tyrant. They make the battle pretty much a non-issue, and it is easily the hardest fight in the game.
-I usually saved the shotgun for the hunters and bandersnatches.
-If you play right, you will have so much handgun ammo that you can pretty much kill all the zombies for the rest of the game.
-I usually give Claire the Bowgun when you rescue her. You will need a weapon for some tentacles. Also, make sure she has at least 2 or 3 full healing items for this part of the game.
-Before you put the valve into a slot in Antartica, make sure to dump everything other than the Sniper Rifle and maybe a extra weapon (Like the Bowgun with explosive bolts) into a box.
-The Bowgun is useful if only because you can load as many arrows as you can into it and they all fit.
-I think I usually knife all the zombies until I get to the private residence section, but you can stop long before then because there is shitloads of ammo.
-Don't bother fighting the Mature albinoid, it's a waste of ammo.
-Don't let Alexia touch you because it is a instant kill.
-Chris gets a free upgrade to his handgun if you bring it to a work desk. I don't know what it exactly does, but I always felt Claire's handgun was still better.
-Give the lighter to Rodrigo, it will give you access to some other weapons later. Plus, Rodrigo is a cool guy :colbert:
-You will find another 50% for the AK later in the game.
-Don't bother fighting the worm as Claire.

It really is a easy game, don't be afraid of using ammo, because I usually have poo poo tons left over by the end anyways.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for I guess. I just felt like I was doing things out of order or not doing some things that put me in a worse spot later. The tips about what not to fight and the Tyrant on the plane tip should help a lot. I always felt like I was low on ammo the last time I played it, so maybe using the knife like I should have been will help with that.

You can get low on ammo if you try to kill everything, because there are a lot of zombies in the game especially in places that you will never go back to again.

Also, if you are going to use the Shotgun on zombies, aim up while close to one shot them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Dark Id posted:

The "HD Remaster" means they upped the resolution (but didn't touch the actual textures so it looks like poo poo) and added crappy achievements nobody cares about and stuck a price tag on it for a quick buck. The Wii version looks perfectly fine and has the exact same content.

I wouldn't say it looks fine. I mean it looks like any other Wii game looks on an HDTV, like poo poo, but some people don't care about that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I find it hard to play the Remake now because of the loading screens and there is that minor pause when you are switching screens in the older games that I never noticed before, but now that I go back to them, it drives me up the wall.

I was hoping that the Wii version of the Remake would fix some of the problems but it is nothing more than a straight port.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

I'd like to see a Let's Play of this game. Did Capcom ever fix the bugs in it?

They actually fixed quite a few of them. But the online versus is still as lovely as ever.

The AI isn't as dumb as it used to be although it is still dumb.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dragonrah posted:

Is ORC worth $20 for the single player at all?

I've been wanting to play this and figure I'll give up on waiting for the price to drop on Steam.

I had fun with it. But only if you like playing with randoms or have friends playing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Almost Smart posted:

What I experienced in the demo was pretty damning if it's at all representative of the final game. It could have been called "Resident Evil: Attention Deficit Disorder of the Dead" for how unfocused and slapped together it felt.

Im just waiting on all the fanboys to start criticizing a review of a game that they never played. It would be just like Twilight Princess all over again.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Your fate HINGES on this fight! *kicks Chris through a door*

"Do you get all your lines from Comic Book villains?" is probably the most non-straight line said by Chris in the whole game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Momomo posted:

Leon was not meant to be a cool character, you're supposed to be laughing at his godawful comebacks, not with them.

I still think Leon is a cool character. The Degeneration movie only confirmed it :colbert:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Billy had to return to his home planet and im sure not many people will miss him much like no one misses Rebecca.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Section Z posted:

Have you ever played Zombie Revenge? I love RE4, but Zombie Revenge is Streets Of Rage with a gun (and zombies).

And lots of bull-ITS. That being said, I really can't recommend it because it is a arcade game most definitely and you will die after being hit like twice. I think I eventually beat it in that gun mode where your melee attacks are weaker and your shots are more powerful.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I prefer the PC version of RE3. Being able to skip the door loading screens is a godsend.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

skog posted:

So I just finished REmake and I'm thinking about playing Drectors Cut on PSX. Should I or am I just going to be frustrated that its not REmake

Its a different but easier experience. Try it out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

What's the issue with the second one? Disjointed story? complete shift of tone?

The third one looks great for the campiness factor, even if the camera controls are poo poo (and it's only on the original xbox)

Change in tone. It is much more action arcade like and not horror like at all. But it is still very much a good game. Its only $6 so get it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

This game has held on to its $40 price point for a while. I have been trying to wait for it to hit $20 or maybe even $30 before I bite. Toysrus was apparently selling it for $20 in store, but my local one didn't have it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So how good is the Gamecube remake of the first Resident Evil? I'm thinking about foregoing the PS1 version altogether, because after what felt like two hours of progress, I got killed by a shark thing in the basement of the guardhouse while playing as Rebecca. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing at that point other than trying to find the V-Jolt or make it and I could not do it. Just to clarify, I went directly into the room with the root of Plant 42, saw something shining on the box and tried to interact with it, but I couldn't. So instead I tried to go to the other doors in that room and got killed by the sharks after learning both rooms were locked and it's not like I can just reload a save from the guardhouse, I used my last ink ribbon from after I beat the Yawn the first time and proceeded to make about 2 hours worth of progress before finally dying to that loving section of the game.

Its very good, but it is much harder than the original. As for the original, it can be beaten in about 3 hours so if you were either to replay where you left off or start over, you could probably make it back to where you were in close to an hour now that you remember what you need to do.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Honestly, after I beat the first game legitimately, I always use the double ammo cheat. Its worth it if you just want to play the game to the end.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I guess $30 was the price I was willing to purchase RE6 at with no regrets. The demo was ok but not $60 ok.

The one thing I still don't understand is the health system. I know there is something about combining herbs into pills or some crap? Will the game explain it better?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

HenessyHero posted:

After months and months I was finally able to get back with my split-screen buddy to almost finish up the game.

Good heavens, every zone we were in we were getting up to like ~4 agent hunt players along with some awesome game intersection buddies. Consistently. For a whole campaign. Nearer to the release we were getting barely any nibbles. There must've been a sale recently or something.

Its $30 regular price at Best Buy and it was $20 last week at Toysrus. I finally got around to buying it when it hit 30 because I felt that was a good price.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Azran posted:

Yeah, this is way more efficient thanks to the chapter subdivisions now, but it isn't as fun as Mercenaries. :v:

If you still want to do it the old-fashioned way:
- Get Item Drop Increase skill if you are solo (may get you kicked out of hosted games).
- Try to kill as many enemies as possible - don't worry about the combo. The faster you progress through the enemy count, the bigger the skill point drops will be.
- Play either Steel Beast (if you can handle crappy spawn points) or Urban Terror (if you can handle lots and lots of QTE and can counter appropiately)

Alternatively, I could play with you - I'm used to playing Mercenaries under lag, and I have no trouble with it.

What is the best skill to use for mercenaries? I actually use the item drop increase because I dont know of anything better.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on what you want to do. The one that boosts your score over 50 kills is probably the best for getting a high score but involves giving up other benefits.

Hmm, in that case, Medic sounds like the most useful to me. On second thought, I think Pharmacist is more useful than Medic which can be circumvented by simply staying near your partner. But health is a pretty limited resource in Mercenaries.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 29, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I always gently caress up my counters online because of the lag :(. That is really the only way I know how to deal with bloodshots other than just blasting them with the elephant killer.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, trying to play RE6 Mercenaries like RE5 is just kind of an exercise in frustration. You really have to think about weapons in a different way.

I thought Resident Evil 5 was a bit worse because if I can remember correctly, you had to constantly move around the level to activate other enemy spawn points while in this, I think certain enemies only spawn from certain places.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Alteisen posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-6-is-officially-a-failure-243965.phtml

Not to surprised given how quiet Capcom's been on their numbers, DmC is apparently a huge failure as well.

Question is, will Capcom learn from this? Maybe try to stop pleasing everyone?

I really don't know what to say if they think 5 million in sales is a failure. Those are all very good sales numbers indeed.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I want Capcom to actually finish the story that they started before giving me a reboot. They made progress when they killed off Wesker showing that they did actually have the balls to progress instead of having the same villain for 10 games in a row (Mega Man).

I didn't think the J'avo were that bad. In fact they were pretty interesting since they were capable of transforming into some interesting things.

Also is the netcode just poo poo for mercenaries, or am I just connecting to some people with bad connections?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Wesker was like the lead villain for all of one Resident Evil game. This franchise spent a huge amount of time basically farting around with one-shot Umbrella mooks or being overshadowed by the monsters themselves.

I'm still curious where they can go after "Welp the world is kinda hosed up now" without making it boring post-apocalyptic.

Resident Evil 1
Code Veronica
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5

Wesker has pretty much been a mainstay in the franchise as of late.

Also, Claire seems to not be in the monster killing business anymore if that Resident Evil Degeneration movie is to be believed. She was pretty useless in that.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Wesker is in all of those games, but the only one that he's the main villain is 5. He plays supporting roles and cutscene cameos in the rest, remember he was in Zero too.

edit: I think 1 counts too, but with all the retcons and Wesker Reports I'm still unsure about it. He set the mansion trip up right? Does that make him the villain or is it the mansion? Because I always considered the mansion and its denizens to be the real villains of RE1.

He definitely is the real mastermind behind 1. He brought everyone there just for combat data. I would argue that as of Code Veronica X, he was the mastermind behind Code Veronica too.