Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Resident Evil 6 is shaping up to be a proper AAA game I see. Random explosions, cutscenes up the rear end, QTEs, bland level design, 5 inch corridors, gray concrete walls and generic orchestra music.

10 out of 10 editor's choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Or maybe it's DLC.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So the GameSpot review of RE6 was online for a moment and it got taken down almost immediately. Score was 4.5 out of 10.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Having a single save slot in this game is dumb. Supposedly, if I were to start/join another campaign while doing Leon's, I'd lose all my progress for the current Chapter I'm on. I don't think my mind can tolerate the first 20 minutes of Slow Walk™ a second time.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The second chapter in Jake's campaign and the stealth section afterwards are the most godawful things I've played in a video game this year.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

BORK! BORK! posted:

Absolutely. Im really trying to enjoy this game but it's not making things easy on me.

Just wait until you reach Chapter 4 and have to fight off enemies in an arena while a chopper flies overhead shooting and stunning you!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Disorientated posted:

I think playing mercenaries gives you a much better sense of the core mechanics which I think are very strong, in particular the melee. In fact I'd suggest people play a few rounds of mercenaries before playing the campaigns - its a much less chaotic environment to get used to the controls and systems, etc.

It's not the combat that's the problem. In fact, that's one of the genuinely great things about the game as it's very diverse. It's the fetish (in Jake's campaign at least) for gimmicks that makes it unfun to play.

The game is at its best when it's similar to RE4-5 in that it's walking around shooting enemies rather than constant on-rails sequences, or stealth missions, or fetch quests or whatever the gently caress the game decides to vomit.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Just kill the pilot.

Tell me how to do it

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

How does this game handle ammo? If I had used up all of mine fighting Chris' Snake boss would it have expected me to restart the whole chapter, fight the thing with the knife or would it spawn more in random areas?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is the only way to unlock alternate costumes to link your account to RE.net? Is there any way to unlock the alternate costumes characters wear in the main campaigns through the game?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

neetz posted:

You can't change costumes in the campaign at all, sadly. The extra costumes are limited to The Mercenaries and the costumes you can buy on RE.net are just recolours of the ones you unlock by getting an A rank with that character.

Yeah, I know about that already and it's pretty stupid, but I'm talking about costumes like Leon wearing his jacket being selectable in Mercenaries. From what I've seen the only unlockable costumes seem to be the goofy ones like his pirate costume.

quote:

Chris : His first 3 chapters are kinda bland setting wise, chapter 4 is pretty much a RE: Revelations callback, and Chapter 5 is where he shines the most.

Chris' level design is for the most part good, but the first half of Chapter 3 and a lot of Chapter 1 is something out of a budget title. There's a particular area in Chapter 3 where it's an undetailed tiny square room with low resolution textures, 4 enemies and a handful of boxes then the next one is just a barren empty room with terrible textures and a door whose handle isn't a model but rather a flat surface that's part of the texture. It's awful.

Also, does anyone get disconnections every 30 minutes or so on the PS3 when playing co-op?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's a free DLC coming next week that adds co-op to the hidden campaign and a difficulty called No Hope.

why do these things need to be DLC, especially the new co-op addition where the character will probably disappear during the cutscenes.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really hate that they're adding him to the secret campaign. There's literally no reason for it and I think it'll totally demolish the flow and balance of Ada's story. He's not in any cutscenes, he's never talked to, never acknowledged... why the hell does he have to be there? It makes no sense.

Edit: Seriously, I can't even imagine how scenes like Deborah or chainsaw dude are going to go now, talk about hamfisted

You can just assume he's Ada's imaginary friend.

Edit: When is the Mercs pre-order DLC becoming available for everyone? There's no way I'm paying u$50 on Ebay for 3 maps.

GUI fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 11, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The lack of unlockables in 6 is really disappointing. Only 4-5 guns per character and no hidden ones? No weapon upgrading? No costume select outside Mercs? Nothing to use experience on other than generic skills? A real shame since Capcom tends to be pretty good about post-game content.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

SolidRed posted:

RE6 was a labour of love. It has loads of references to the old game and my co op partner and I even decided the boss who follows you during the Sherry/Jake campaign is actually Steve from Code Veronica. You even use the Code Veronica bull dozer on him in one section. This made shooting him in the heart even harder.

The game files say he was a regular guy who tried the C-Virus on himself.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Until I read about it here I thought the infinite ammo option was something that disabled trophies and was made for casual play, while the infinite ammo skills you got for beating the game were similar to 5 where they didn't disable anything.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

The more the merrier.

The drinks are on Elza

You mean Ark Thompson

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You don't have to be in front of Bloodshots while they're leaping to counter the attack, you can easily be next to them and get the prompt to do so.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The only boss fight that annoyed the poo poo out of me was (Leon campaign spoilers) Simmons' T-rex form which seems to last 20 minutes. Even meleeing him when he's in human form makes it go on forever. Someone talked about shooting the eye but whenever he opens it you're automatically stunned due to the attack that follows.

quote:

Does Jake's campaign ever suck less, or should I just sell the loving game now? All I want to do is unlock the last goddamn mercenaries map at this point.

Jake's campaign is the worst one in the game.

Also stop listening to goon recommendations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I feel pity for anyone who plays Agent Hunt in the Snow and Chinese Lab levels. The first boiled down to two guys getting lost in the snow storm while I picked up all the keys and finding me only at the very end just as I was about to kick the door to leave the area. And in the lab level it boiled down to me meleeing and repeteadly killing also two guys for 30 minutes because one of those medallions you have to get had spawned under a table I couldn't interact with and I had missed a door that had a few extra ones.
I tried the mode myself in Leon's second chapter and it wasn't too fun since all enemies have a delay in their attacks and the animations while they do them take forever to finish.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It will probably be easier to aim, look prettier and they'll possibly cram in the upcoming free DLC and some extra Mercs mode with a couple dozen enemies on-screen like RE5 and DMC4's PC ports had.
Other than that you can just get the console version.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

They are invincible and have unlimited ammo. There's no inventory management with them this time around.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

What? Resident Evil 4 was extremely well received by the gaming community on release outside die-hard fans of the old RE games. It was also what heavily influenced Gears of War and a lot of shooters afterward.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Those areas seemed like a half-assed attempt at pleasing the people who wanted the old RE gameplay back. The game is trying to please RE4-5/RE1-3/COD/Uncharted fans all at the same time.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The harder difficulty was in the game's files before it was announced I think.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I wouldn't mind a reboot in terms of gameplay. I'd prefer if they kept the current storyline going though, I want to see Leon in his 60's still destroying every vehicle he touches.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

How many unsolved plot points does the current storyline have at this point? Off the top of my head I can think of the Illuminati-like organization Simmons was part of, the cliffhanger from Revelations with Jessica and Conan O'Brien being partners and obtaining a BOW sample, and whoever Ada is working for. There was also the one of Steve supposedly being alive and captured by Wesker way back around Code Veronica's release, but that was hopefully retconned out because why would anyone want more Steve.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

DmC: Devil May Cry was the first back in January. Seems like they've thankfully given up on Games for Windows Live.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's just a dumb action movie storyline. There's nothing amazing or horrible about it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Geight posted:

I'm a little confused, all my friends were mocking RE6 constantly when it released on consoles and after playing the PC version for a bit it's... really fun?

The biggest flaws with Resident Evil 6 are that it doesn't teach you how to play it at all and its constant overuse of action setpieces. If it weren't so hyperactive and had a better tutorial it would've been better received since the core gameplay is very good as mercenaries shows.
Hopefully they'll keep this in mind for RE7, but I bet they'll scrap the new combat system and go back to RE4/5's since Revelaitons was better received.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Len posted:

I'm really curious about if they really changed things for the PC version of if the console market is just a bunch of negative people. I really enjoyed RE6 when it came out but I remember a vocal majority of this thread being super anti-RE6 for it being bad.

I'm playing through the PC version with a friend and it's the same as the console one except with the latest patches and the bonus Mercs mode.

There's one hilarious oversight during the part where Helena has to carry Deborah where in the console versions you can't do anything except kick, but on PC they forgot to disable the roll shortcuts exclusive to it so you can roll sideways/backwards everywhere while carrying her.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Resident Evil 6 is excellent with mouse and keyboard except for those annoying rotating stick QTEs which are replaced with mashing WASD in a row constantly.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Goddammit, that would have saved me 95% of my deaths.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wasn't she going to have a bigger part in the game earlier in development? I recall early on when Revelations was announced they talked about how you'd play as certain characters who would die at the end of their level, but in the final game that really doesn't happen since you play as Chris/Jill 95% of the time.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Revelations is Resident Evil 4 Lite: it's almost impossible to run out of ammo and there isn't much in the way of horror. Enemy designs are quite bland too.
It's at least worth a playthrough though, and RAID mode is pretty decent even if it's no Mercenaries.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Does The Evil Within have any sort of Mercs-like mode upon game completion?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Will Revelations 2 have Raid mode when the first Episode releases this week or will it be unlocked later on?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

In the PS4 version, what's the reason for Revelations 2's Episode 3 to block the video capture option at the end of Claire's section? It was pretty weird to have the PS4's dialogue box suddenly pop-up since there isn't any objectionable content during it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Unless they overhaul the gameplay I don't see how a remake of 2 would work with 6's control scheme and combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The entire first few levels of Leon's scenario are basically an (intentional) Resident Evil 2 redux. It'd presumably be similar to that.

They'd have to remove some of the mobility like the combat roll/sliding/crouching/prone since that would make dealing with most enemies in 2 a breeze. Unless they end up increasing the enemy count and changing their behaviour and design to make it resemble 4/5/6, which I doubt people who want the remake will want.