Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

RE: RE3, when I was a kid my cousin and I dragged a little 11" TV out to the barn/garage at our family cottage and we played RE3 in the dark in the middle of the woods. it was great. I got scared and went outside to pee and saw a bear. I was still more scared of Nemesis.

I vaguely remember having a lighter with no oil in it, and finding a rope soaked in oil, and the game saying I couldn't light it without oil, and that confusing me for way too long (misunderstanding that they meant oil for the lighter). or maybe I am misremembering because I am old and it has been like a decade.

I don't remember too much about RE3 besides a maze of alleyways, a gate opening after you put some colorful gems in a compass or clock, and how scared I was the first time Nemesis followed me ~*~through a loading screen (door)~*~ it blew my goddamn mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

License plate J2198. RE2 was originally released January 21, 1998.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LadyPictureShow posted:

Now I'm wondering what he was called in the official strategy guides (Prima/Brady). Probably just 'Tyrant', right?

I have this guide which is meant to be the Resident Evil encyclopedia. Mr. X is referred to as "Tyrant (T-103 Type)" (Description: A new type of Tyrant created from the T-002 type. It has a much higher capacity for following orders, and was ordered in pursuit of the G-Virus within Raccoon City.)

It also has him without his coat and with the big claws, referred to as "Super Tyrant (T-103 Type)" (Description: This is the T-103 type without its limited. The T-103 wears its limiter device in a defense coat when deployed. Once removed, it undergoes physical transformation.)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Wanderer posted:

For what it's worth, that book is notorious for having been translated by howler monkeys.

Oh I'm not saying it's the be-all, end-all. I'm just sharing what's in it for those who don't have access to it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I did Claire 1st run, then Leon 2nd run, both with a B rank on Standard. Took my time soaking it all in.

Today I did Leon 1st run and got the S-Rank. Finished around 2:20 (I see speedrunners are under an hour but I'm on console so I have no FPS shenanigans to mess with, and I wasn't speedrunning as much as just trying to go fast enough for the trophy and infinite pistol).

It is dumb that I got the Leon S Kennedy trophy but it didn't pop the Leon A Kennedy trophy. Those should stack. :mad:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Number of saves (on Standard) doesn't impact your rank (I got the S with like 24 saves), and I also can't idle because the self destruct sequence has been activated.

I did just realize though that I can load my last save, open the map, and then just leave the map open for like an hour (since that adds to play time but obviously doesn't make the self destruct go down), that should work. Still dumb that I have to do that though. Plus since I ended at 2:20 that means I need to leave my PS4 on the map for over an hour, lol, time to go watch a movie.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

You're right! It's only a 'Record' and it does stack if you get the S. I misunderstood a record vs. a trophy. Sweet!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

marshmallow creep posted:

What is the order of operations to get the king/queen plug doors open and have the weapon. It made perfect sense when I did it the first time, but the time pressure made me gently caress it up last night.

From memory, but I'm pretty sure it's:
- Go downstairs, grab Queen
- Put Queen in the box that leads to the stairs that go up (not the stairs where you entered the room)
- Deal with the zombie hanging over the ledge if you want, go upstairs, grab King
- Hop down the broken railing, go put the King in the door leading to the weapon
- Grab weapon, exit, grab King
- Grab Queen then put it back where it was when you first picked it up
- Go through that gate and put the King in the box at the bottom of the entry stairs
- Go through that gate, get Queen, turn around and go back through the open King door, grab King, exit

BiggerBoat posted:

Did anyone here suss out the locker codes and safe combos on their own or did everyone go online for them? I'm on Claire B and honestly don't think I ever even found all the codes and poo poo. And god drat, thinking about how much harder the game would be without some of those goodies is brutal.

First time through I figured them out myself. Some were easy to find (like the one locker code is written on a whiteboard in huge letters, or the safe that has the combination written on the side of the safe) and others were trickier. I remember one being written on a file about a criminal thief who got arrested or something (the same thief you later find in the Morgue to get the Diamond key IIRC).

Now I just keep a list of them open in front of me during my run.

DLC Inc posted:

how easy is it to get all the Mr. Raccoons, anyway? I found maybe 3 on Leon A and missed a fuckton. I presume they're spread out over Leon/Claire A Scenarios? Also are they counted only at game's end or can you reload previous saves to find them without finishing a run?

1. Not that easy, many are hard to spot.
2. There is at least one that is B-scenario only (Leon or Claire), there's also one you have to get as Ada.
3. No idea on your last question.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Wesker's desk in STARS office and an end table in the press room.

And after you search Wesker's desk you should search it again even though there's no button prompt, otherwise you'll miss a file.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

General horror game post:

After RE2 I started playing Evil Within and I like it, AND I started playing METRO 2033 (the redux bundle that also includes Last Light) and holy poop I am REALLY enjoying Metro. It is so Russian and bleak and dirty and miserable. loving phenomenal FPS.

I kind of hated the Evil Within because the game can't decide what it wants to be, but Evil Within II loving rules and anyone who likes RE4 or whatever should give it a try. Metro 2033 is great; I have the bundle on PS4 but have never played the sequel (which I should since another one is coming out this week).

Discendo Vox posted:

I noticed a fantastic easter egg that I'd not seen commented on elsewhere. Take a close look at the side of the puzzle piece cube Sherry gets in the orphanage.

Can you just tell us

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Beat Hardcore Claire A today, G4 took me four tries because I kept running out of ammo. Eventually went into the fight with zero healing items and took the stock off my grenade launcher just to make more room. Wound up ending it with nothing but handgun ammo. I think I was too liberal with my SRS magnum-ish stuff earlier. Ah well.

I can't beat the Hunk scenario to get the final trophy and the platinum. :(
Did the DLC. Got to around 87 kills on the final scenario, died, did it again, same thing.

I really don't like the DLC or Fourth Survivor, it's too frantic, stresses me out.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Smirking_Serpent posted:

With 4th Survivor, I would check out some videos for good routes. Then when you have practice, you could maybe do it muted and play your own music? It might take some of the edge off.

Music suggestion is a good one.

I've been following some videos, the problem is I always find myself watching PC routes and frankly console controls don't allow for some of the tight dodges and turns I see in those, I wind up grabbed and then I'm either eating damage or wasting a subweapon (which fucks me over later in the run). I think I could get it eventually if I kept practicing, but I don't really like it. Part of what I like about the base game is that if I make a mistake or go the wrong way or whatever, I can correct my mistake whereas with these DLC/Hunk things it's like "you hosed up once, might as well restart or else you won't have that flash for the final hallway" which is not for me.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

redreader posted:

Thanks! I found it finally.

This has happened to many, many people - I think everyone gets so used to checking the map for staircases that they forget about the ladder off the balcony down onto the terrace with the fire or whatever.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Finished my first playthrough on Standard, just over 4 and a half hours and that was taking my time. This game's pacing is really rushed and it doesn't give you time to soak up atmosphere the way RE2 remake did. I wish I hadn't paid full price for this as it really wasn't worth it and that's coming from a huge fan of this series. It's like a 5 or 6/10.

Resistance is a mess. It's like they slapped some Resident Evil branding on top of Last Year the Nightmare. Even playing it with two friends it was awful as the fourth survivor rando was always braindead, running off to a distant corner to die while holding all key items and big weapons.

Not great.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I'll give it another go but unlike other asymmetrical games I enjoy like Dead by Daylight, this feels much less carryable if you're a survivor saddled with bad teammates. Seems like you need a group to have a fighting shot against any Mastermind that has a good grasp of how to play.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Captain Hygiene posted:

$30 is the price point I'm waiting for after all the discussion on here.

I think this is the right call and wish I hadn't paid full price. In general though I think $80 (:canada:) is too much money for most games especially ones that are a single player campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That's fair. I guess to me it depends on total hours I'll get out of a game as opposed to single vs. multi, now that I think about it. I'll pay $80 for XCOM or whatever because I'll play it for hours and hours. RE3 on the other hand, I played through it once, and will eventually play through it again I guess, but yeah so far I got about 6 hours out of it and maybe 6 more in a very bad multiplayer game.