Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kilometers Davis posted:

I never cared about merc/raid before but this one is perfect for me. It's so mindlessly fun, even just playing through the first few missions. I guess I'm a weirdo for that opinion but it's exactly what I was hoping for. Not too hard + the ability to grind skills is great too.

This is how I feel as well. I played Mercs back when it was first in RE4 and didn't get into it for whatever reason, although it was probably the time limits. The pacing of Raid works really well for me and they added just enough customization to keep it interesting. Also, the emote attack is hilarious and Hunk rules.

Edit

Klaus Kinski posted:

It unlocks after Gauntlet 2.

Ohhhhhh...

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Jesus christ all of you complaining about framerate problems at least you can get the loving game to work.

Shoulda got it on xbone. :cool:

edit

FatalT posted:

SO BASICALLY WE'RE SCREWED! I hope you haven't played too much Raid mode and you have something else to play!

Uhhhhh, I think you might've been talking to a robot. :stare:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 7, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Dammit, I really wish Capcom had remade RE2... It's soooooo good already.

The Dark Id posted:

Resident Evil 2 is the right balance of having aged alright and still playing pretty well.

It also plays pretty well on the Vita/PSP, if you've got one of those. Easy to pick up and play for a bit.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
If Capcom moves towards having the Revelations series be more like the original games and the numbered series be more like 5 and 6, then good for them. It gives those of us that didn't like the last two game something to have fun with and they still get to keep all the fans that liked 5 and 6.

Also, Polygon is doing a let's play of Rev2. They did some local co-op and other than the split-screen looking weird, it seemed pretty fun if one person is ok with not having a gun. Just don't don't expect much from their fight with the boss of Barry's second episode, it's hilariously inept.

Butt Ghost posted:

No, I just think it's a mediocre shooter with bad AI.

I'd say that LoU is more of a story game with some shooting and stealth added to avoid being another Heavy Rain, but what's a good shooter with good AI that actually has a story worth paying attention to? I can't think of very many, as anyone that would complain about LoU would probably complain about the BioShock games.

Also, LoU has a terrific multiplayer mode.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 10, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Speedball posted:

Huh, I've only gotten through (most) of Claire's Episode 3 but the game is really starting to feel like Resident Evil again.

Just finished all of the third episode and I really like it, especially Barry's part. The story is well told, for one of these games, and I like the differences between the two campaigns. Definitely something worth playing through multiple times, maybe it helps that I'm not playing on hard for the first playthrough.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Lol. I also noticed that Barry had a line bitching about the weight of the generator late into ep. 3.

The same generator that Natalia is capable of picking up with no trouble at all.

Natalia is obviously infected with whatever virus RER2 has in it and is the next evolution of humankind. Barry is not part of our glorious future.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

timeandtide posted:

At the end of Claire's Episode 3 chapter, there is a QTE where they struggle with Neil. Is it possible for Moira to pick up the gun and shoot him? When I played it, I initially switched to her and started crawling forward, but thought I had to balance between her crawling and Claire warding off Neil so I switched back to Claire and that led to her picking up the gun and finishing him off.

Yeah, they did this in the polygon let's play, if you want to see it without playing through again.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/11/8196365/resident-evil-revelations-2-lets-play-video-part-10

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lunethex posted:

There's going to be a fourth campaign difficulty called No Escape.

Clear all Invisible Missions = Katana

Fuuuuuuck that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Man, that bad ending is pretty rough. Time to start going to S rank on everything...

This game is a hell of a value, though. Tons of replayability for the main storyline and you could pretty much play raid mode forever.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Boy are the extra missions tough on survival. Casual is bad enough, you've got to be seriously good with your aim and use the melee attacks as much as possible. Might be significantly easier in co-op, depending on ammo availability.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Some very interesting reviews coming out for Rev2.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/03/resident-evil-revelations-2-episode-4-metamorphosis-review/
Sure, Sterling is known for his persona, but it's like Resident Evil beat him as a child or something.

quote:

Really, we could have done without the first half of Barry and Natalia’s final chapter, as they waste their time (and ours) wandering around in a bunch of boring corridors choking on gas. As with last episode’s box “puzzle”, there’s nothing really challenging about this installment’s particular slice of content padding – you have to run in corridors of gas and get to high ground before you choke. Choke on the gas. Because of all the gas. If you’ve played some videogames before, you’ve likely run into similar situations, because nothing Revelations 2 has done so far has been even slightly original,

http://www.destructoid.com/review-resident-evil-revelations-2-episode-4-288704.phtml
Comapared to Chris' review for Destructoid, it's kinda jarring. Sterling hated parts that Chris points out as being engaging, among other nuances.

quote:

One of my favorite elements involves areas with a deadly gas, where both Barry and Natalia are forced to constantly move to higher ground to get a breath of fresh air. You can spend roughly 30 seconds in the gas before the screen starts to become hazy and you pass out, which lends itself well to some tricky sections with lengthy mine tunnels filled with enemies who are impervious to its effects. To say it gets tense is an understatement.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wanderer posted:

He really isn't.

Both he and Yahtzee have the same problem. They've learned they get more people looking at their work when they're relentlessly negative, so they pursue that at the cost of all else. Sterling's clearly got the education and experience to be a somewhat incisive critic if he wanted to be, but every review of his I've read is primarily meant to feed the Internet's ceaseless rage boner, even if it means getting facts about the game wrong.

And Yahtzee liked Rev2, so Sterling has a captive audience this time!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10068-Resident-Evil-Revelations-2-Review

Wanderer posted:

I'm red-green color-blind, so I had a hard time finding them onscreen in Natalia-Vision, and I wouldn't have known about using smokescreens on them at all were it not for this thread. So yeah, they've killed me more than anything else.

Did the alternate smoke colors for Natalia help you at all? They're kinda deep in the menus, like the RE4 laser sight thing.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DanielCross posted:

If you get spotted (which is ridiculously easy), you just have to run to that slope in the way south and it'll automatically end the part. I still had four rations, so I wasn't too bothered by it, but I imagine if the previous part gave you trouble, losing out on a chance to gather more could be irritating.

Man that area drove me nuts. There's just so drat many of the revenants and they'll see you so easily.

At least you're able to stealth kill them, but they also seem really good at detecting you while you're sneaking up.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Renoistic posted:

Does that area have anything good? I just sprinted to the exit.

I found a magnum in the Wossek, I think there's an AK in there as well, but I kept getting caught after getting the first weapon.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

man nurse posted:

More RE 6 stages, I see.

Classic throwback stages, for the real fans.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Just put in the RPD station and Spencer Mansion, is it really that hard?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Night10194 posted:

Alright, Barry actually bringing like, 3 reasonable guns and some backup ammo with him to go try to rescue his daughter officially makes him better prepared and more savvy than Chris ever was.

Chris had all the guns he needed.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

And Tokyo Jungle is ninety cents. Buy it immediately.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

The Struggle kicked my rear end and I loved every second of it. It gives 32000BP for a clear on Survival, too.

It'd better, I still can't beat it on survival.

Wanderer posted:

Firebomb it.

Yeah I figured this out trying to finish The Struggle the first time. Burns off all the extra tentacles so you can hit the core easier.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 22, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yep, it rounds up. I've been going back to S rank everything and I tend to get an A in accuracy whenever there's glasps around.

Also, have plenty of magnum ammo for any big dudes that you can't get around and the smoke bottles are great for taking guys out quick.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

man nurse posted:

I think I have a problem.

I need more free time :negative:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Magnus Condomus posted:

Gabriella Pastore, the voice actress for Natalia is actually really young. Probably just a few years older than the character. She did a really great job.

Her and Barry were really good together. The sluice stuff was gold.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

For some reason my favorite line in the game is right at the start of Barry's episode 1.
"What's your name, sweetheart?"
"...Natalia."
"That's a very pretty name. My name's Barry!"

Yeah these points start to stand out the more I play the campaign to get S rank in everything. "My name's Barry!" is great every time.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty bummed. I finally snapped and bought the REmake on steam a few days ago and just got around to installing it but I'm suffering huge audio desync in the opening cutscense and once I get to the game everything seems to be moving at half speed. apparently my 1/2 decade old laptop is juuuust too slow to run it. There's $20 down the drain. Just another reason to keep saving for a new PC :sigh:

It's on XboxOne as well :wiggle:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 26, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
edit, nm

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

blackguy32 posted:

God drat, somehow they managed to make a game with worse AI than RE5.

Just ignore them, if you're playing as the Claire/Barry. They're basically invincible and as long as they're "able" to get to the door, they'll teleport over when you open it. Watch a speedrun of the campaign and you'll see how easy they are to abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_IVGbTAYNQ

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

blackguy32 posted:

It was mainly while I was trying to stun the enemy with my flashlight, Claire would go off and do some stupid poo poo and get the poo poo kicked out of her.

Ok yeah, that'll happen. Do you have the "partner has infinite ammo" skill? That'll help keep them from doing that a bit, but they still like to run up and melee things.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I never got the chance to play RE5 co-op, and it's still one of my favourite games in the series. I'd wait for the inevitable Halloween sale before dropping the money on the DLC though. I mean, it's good, but it's not that good.

As someone with that opinion, I'm curious when you started playing them and which one you played first.

I bought the original RE game when it first came out and think RE2 is the best game (REMake is it's own thing, it's not fair to compare it to the older ones), but I'd like to know the perspective of someone that holds RE5 in such high regard.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

blackguy32 posted:

I started playing with Resident Evil 2 and I think RE5 is probably my favorite. The coop add a lot of fun to it, plus it gets us to the showdown between Chris and Wesker. It is hard for me to go back to a lot of the old stuff anymore because I played them to the point where it feels like I am playing a loving door opening simulator. For fucks sake Capcom, I get that it is for nostalgia purposes, but at least let us skip those drat loading screens.

My least favorite is probably Resident Evil 3. I still can't get over their choice of a costume for that game and I really just find the game kind of bland. She doesn't even bother to take off the sweater wrapped around her waist. But im not counting RE:0. That is easily the worst for me. But I am weird, RE:CV is my 2nd favorite.

Finally, I can't help but think that Raid mode in Rev 2 is super formulaic. I really hope Capcom patches in something because it feels kind of dull. I kind of wish they would just port the stages over from Rev 1.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've been playing them from the beginning, and I've pretty much played them all in order (except for REmake, since I never had a Gamecube back then, and spinoffs like Gun Survivor, which barely count anyway). RE2's probably my favourite of the classics. I never did finish CV, though if I did, that'd probably be a close second.

With RE5, I think its that it's everything that I liked about RE4, but moreso. There's a bajillion unlockables, the gun upgrade system is back and now there's a ton of new guns, the story's even more batshit and it has Chris punching a loving boulder. And it has the best incarnation of Wesker in the series. I know RE5 takes a lot of poo poo, some of it justified (the limited inventory after RE4 is bullshit, there is no question), a lot of it unfair, but when you get down to it, it's a game I could - and have - played over and over again. And if I ever get some friends to finally do co-op with me, I'll play it again with them.

That's interesting. RE5 definitely played quite well, a definite improvement to RE4, but I guess I just group them all together instead of separating the Alone In The Dark style games from the Gears Of War style games. I'd rather the over-the-should games have gotten a subtitle, like Revelations has, instead of being considered part of the main series, given the radically different playstyle. RECV and REMake seemed like a much better direction for the franchise, in general, but I enjoyed the horror more than the action. Although I could see someone starting to play them around the time of RE5 being very turned off by the controls in the first three games. They're intensely frustrating and very much a product of their time.

That's also why I like RER2 so much. It's very much a combination of RE2 and RER and playing the campaign over and over to get S rank on everything still isn't all that tedious.

Crowetron posted:

Resident Evil 3 is the best Resident Evil.

I like what they tried to do with the formula, but the constant fights with Nemesis drove me nuts back when it came out and I haven't gone back to it other than to watch Carcinogen speedrunning it every so often.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Full Battle Rattle posted:

No, I get you. I think the original PS1 RE is the scariest bar none, and I am 100% sure that it has everything to do with playing it when I was 12.

That dog scare at the beginning was really effective, but Alone In The Dark was considered rather scary back then as well. Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSwYY2eoKhQ

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 29, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

W.T. Fits posted:

I still think this post from Crowetron neatly summarizes why Nemesis and RE3 are the best.

This is a good post.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

You really need to play it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So I'm not doing it wrong on XboxOne then? I want to shoot at the giant :ohdear:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

therealjon_ posted:

Hunk's execution for grounded enemies is the best.

Yeah if you're not using Hunk you're missing out.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
What? But Xbox isn't online yet..

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Not explicitly. Maybe the guy that grabbed her, or Alex, told her that she was.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah that's pretty accurate. Still doesn't explain Barry's reaction to Natalia at the end of Ep1, but people don't react in rational ways when dealing with family.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You mean you don't want a companion and online co-op?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I was really blown away by this reveal yesterday, very excited for the possibilities.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I liked RER2, but I like Barry so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Unfortunately, Capcom missed the chance to have an enormous wolf with a sword as a boss.