Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Looking at this, is it true that if you're trying to kill a zombie, headshots and body shots are equally effective? I feel like I'm missing about a third of the time when I go for the head and maybe a quarter of the time when I go for their legs. The torso would be a lot easier to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I played RE0 for the first time recently and found it super duper stupid (even for these games), and annoying in spots, but overall pretty breezy and entertaining. I'd put it below RE5 and above Rev1 in my personal rankings. It's like a sloppier RE1Remake. In a way the co-op partner switching stuff was the start of modern RE.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fjw1UQsUn4FsKjff4Xc5FaGYmJiVvFQFi5nt5sOEfOg/edit?usp=drivesdk I don't know if there's better data out there somewhere, but according to this zombies and other enemies do take locational damage.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Caidin posted:

So if the sewer rats were the primary factor in spreading the T-virus all over town why did we never get giant rats enemies back when they were just bigging up animals for you to fight?

Tangent, but I love how the rats in that cutscene are immediately all over the broken virus cylinders, crawling over broken glass to slurp up weird colored goo in the middle of a firefight. T-Virus must smell delicious.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
God, the moment when Super Tyrant strides through the door on fire with his coat in tatters while the singing starts at the end of Leon's campaign is so drat cheesey and awesome. The horn blares in the escape music rip.

Also:

"I'VE MADE MISTAKES"

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Caros posted:

This was the end to my first S+ run. Game started glitching out like balls as soon as I started trying to leave the greenhouse with the new ID. Ended up murdered by Mr. X because I had nowhere to run.

Eugh, hello nightmares.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

snoremac posted:

If I hadn't played RE2 before I probably would've shot too. He still scared me a lot, which is why I fled in terror.

I wonder how many new players tried to fight him because they thought he was a regular boss like Birkin. Luckily he actually goes down pretty easily on standard, and you get a line about getting away when you down him. After seeing how quick he goes down to shotgun fire, actually, I wondered if it wouldn't have been less stressful if I had downed him whenever I'd seen him on my first play through instead of looping him around rooms while running through the station.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whoa wait can you actually defeat Mr X during the Police Station? What happens??

Oh no, sorry, but you can down him for long enough to run around a room grabbing stuff and take off before he's back up.

Edit: wow, first double post for me in years.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whoa wait can you actually defeat Mr X during the Police Station? What happens??

Oh no, sorry, but you can down him for long enough to run around a room grabbing stuff and take off before he's back up.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Oh man (Claire 2nd ending) "As long as we stick together we'll be ok!" :v: Oh Leon, as if any partnership formed in a Resident Evil game can outlive the credits.

That ending was gloriously cheesey in an almost Until Dawn way.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Hahaha, ok, these free DLC scenarios are silly. The stuttery stumble run the pale zombos do kinda reminds me of the parasite soldiers from MGSV. What's the deal with Katherine's outfit, anyway? She looks like Irons intercepted her on the way to a sexy Greek costume party.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I wasn't a big fan of the sewers on my first Leon run, but it's been the shortest, easiest section in the game on my subsequent Claire 2nd and Claire 1st runs. Basically when I realized you're only facing zombies and Gs, and Gs can be stunned by a flame round or sub weapon and then you can run around em pretty easy and that you only have to go to two places basically (as Claire at least) it hasn't been so bad. You pretty much just:

- Run forward after you drop into the sewers until you drop into the second save room (by the plugs).

- then cross the bridge outside the save room, go down the steps, pass through the sewer gate and go up the elevator to snag the chess key that controls the bridge by the locked office.

- finally go back to the steps by the save room and this time go down the second set of steps to the lovely passage to collect the second gun and other chess pieces. Then go back to the save room and solve the puzzle.

I'm gonna do my Leon 2nd playthrough sometime this week, and I do remember spending a lot more time as him trucking through the sludge, so I definitely might end up changing my tune, but my Claire 1st playthrough (my third overall) I felt like I barely spent any time in the sewers.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I slightly prefer Leon's arsenal, but I think I like Claire's route more. Her police basement and sewers seem easier to deal with, and the Sherry section's easier than Ada's.

Edit: I'd probably take G4 over Super Tyrant too. It's a longer fight, but easier.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 19, 2019

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The only puzzles I don't enjoy are the portable safe ones. I brute force them w/ trial and error memorization (starting with the upper left button, trying each down the row until I find the next button that doesn't reset the sequence, then punching in the ones I know and starting from the top left again) which goes quick but isn't particularly fun.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

marshmallow creep posted:

It would been interesting if the Rebecca that appears as a bonus character in RE5 actually was aged up to match the other RE1 cast, instead of just being the 18 year old girl inexplicably brought to the future.

Turns out the gene that gives you t-virus immunity also keeps your skin wrinkle-free. It would be highly sought after but all Resident Evil protagonists are asexual so the secret dies with them.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Man, I keep loving up the licker knife strat. I think I'm going back to just walking around all of em (except for the lab pair. I've seen people navigate around them, but I always just flash em and take them down.)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Agh, Leon 1 hardcore done in 2:34. That's what I get for winging it. I played around a little with trying to shave some time off, but I think I'd have to go back pretty far, and I don't want to deal with G3 again. Maybe I'll do Claire instead sometime, but for now I'm putting RE2R away. Great game. Hardcore wore me down a little, but my first two playthroughs were awesome experiences, and it was fun doing some route planning and area memorization, even though I don't have the stomach to get really good at it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Anecdotally the infinite pistol kinda seemed like it sucked, but saving an inventory space for pistol ammo and being able to skip those handgun ammo and regular powder drops should make up for it, I imagine.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
You know, I think the sewers in RE2R get too much poo poo. The tunnels can be a little confusing until you get the hang of where the important bits are, but the G monsters are really cool, and going through the organ trail is one of the best lower-key moments in the game. I even kinda like the plug and gate puzzles. They were more fun to figure out than the pesticide measuring or statue icon ones, anyway. The police station's still far and away the best part of the game, obviously, but the sewers aren't that bad.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

At least it doesn't take up inventory space.

But poor, dumb Kenneth. So many shots fired and not one on target.

That's probably not too far off from how a lot of people's first encounter with that hallway zombie went when RE came out. I watched part of an LP of RE1R on Youtube a couple months ago by someone who doesn't play a lot of action games and IIRC they triggered the zombie, tried to back up, got confused and turned around when the camera perspective changed, wasted a bunch of bullets and died.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I don't remember 6's inventory limits that well (it had some really weird simplified inventory system, didn't it?) but 5 drove me crazy with how little you can carry at once. I think I would have been ok with it if you had just a couple more spaces. I don't love it, but at least the limited inventory space in RE1-CV encouraged route planning and learning the maps and enemy positions, which synchronized nicely with the item conservation gameplay and made everything more anxious. 4 and RE2R I'm also basically fine with because you get inventory upgrades early, and by the mid point of the game you can lug several guns, a bunch of healing items, keys, doodads and whatever else you can find around no problem. 5 was no bueno though. Having to pick what you're carrying that tightly when the item conservation and route planning was basically gone from the formula at that point was just a chore.

Edit: Also I have a strict no preorder policy but I'm really tempted to jump on this Green Man Gaming lightning deal for RE3 for $45. They usually list new PC games for 10-15% off anyway, so it's really just a few bucks that I'd be saving on a sight-unseen product, but I just know I'm going to need to play this day one as long as it isn't a total dumpster fire. Ay yi yi.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 25, 2020

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
They should put a viewing slat on saferoom doors so you see him watching you. And he should criticize your loadout. "TWO OPEN SPACES NOT ENOUGH FOR EXPLORING NEW AREA. SHOULD DROP SHELLS AND JUST KEEP SHOTGUN LOADED."

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I think it still looks a lot better than I was expecting, but I set my expectations pretty low when they announced it was coming after barely more than a year. I loved RE2R so much that I basically have to get this on release even if it's less inspired and made by the b-team. It's Dark Souls 2 again for me (I also ended up really liking DS2 for what it was.)

There's a pessimism spiral happening right now, but also those reviews weren't that bad.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

CharlestonJew posted:

Tho you'd think as soon as Jill heard the word "cannibal" on the news she'd instantly know what was up and start getting out of dodge

She actually did spend a lot of time after that getting out of dodge, but she had a hard time with the timing and kept getting clipped by Nemesis at the end of it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why don't people talk about Resident Evil 0 more?

The early attempt at AI co-op makes it kind of an interesting artifact in the series. It's like the progenitor virus of partner-based RE. :v: It's also kind of like RE3R in that I liked its predecessor so much that it's nice to get new content in that style if nothing else (I know they ended up getting developed partially in tandem, but since the first one out was so much more fully realized than the successor, it's hard not to think of them as originator and imitator -- see, couldn't even tell which pair of games I was talking about, huh?)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Good soup! posted:

I enjoyed all the boss battles in REmake2

They all just feel like ammo sinks, but I like the spectacle of them. When I started doing timed hardcore runs Phase 3 started loving me up routinely so now I kind of hate that one.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The main thing I'm picking up from watching pieces of this Carcinogen RE4 run is there was way more treasure than I ever knew about hanging on ceilings in that game. I knew about the gas lanterns under the village and most of the bird's nests, but drat they hid a lot of treasure right above your head in that game. I think I missed 99 percent of it the first time I played it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Yo they should make a new Dino Crisis with a Mr. X-style persistent T-Rex (Mr. T).

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
RE5 charm points:

- The evil henchman says "youse guys" at one point
- Chris talking very seriously at length about partners, his hangups with his partner, what it takes to be a partner
- "WESKER!"

RE5 Issues:

- 9 inventory slots per character isn't enough for an action game. Swapping items is tedious.
- Virus that makes people grab spears and wear grass skirts and tribal masks
- Forced turret sequences and QTEs
- The interface for managing inventory while playing is cumbersome. The inventories are too small
- Very gimmicky boss fights
- They don't give you enough inventory slots

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I would play an RE RPG. A roguelike would be even better. The police station would make a great procedurally generated dungeon. It would be text-based, of course...

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

I wonder if Facebook specifically pushed for 4 or if porting 7 VR wasn't on the table. Not that excited even as a Quest 2 owner tbh. I notice none of their footage involves the player moving much, lol. Maybe 4 makes more sense from a control perspective since you plant yourself to shoot and they don't expect you to dodge much.

Edit: actually I bet RE7 wouldn't run that well on Q2 hardware. I just use mine plugged in thru my PC graphics card most of the time, but I don't think they like the idea of relying on that.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

DeadButDelicious posted:

I saw on Twitter that the countdown would end on Presidents' Day so maybe something to do with RE4make?

At first I got excited and forgot Capcom had nothing to do with Metal Wolf Chaos and figured that would be a perfect time to announce a sequel. :sigh:

Sale on unlockable weapon dlc -- "this presidents day, equip yourself with ballistics"

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Cannibal Llama posted:

So after this comes out and makes a poo poo ton of money do you think they'll follow up by finally doing a remake of Code Veronihahah couldn't keep a straight face they'll remake 5 and 6 before they do CV. I mean, 5 is actually somewhat plausible since the enemies in 5 were mostly reskins of the enemies in 4 and I'm sure everyone would love a deracistified version of 5.

Anyway I hope they keep most of the whacky tone of the original and they better keep the giant Salazar robot statue.

If 3 can get a remake, Code V can get a remake. A b-team remake.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

RE3R and zero have the least amount of dogs but they have never been as common an enemy as you would think even in the classic games

I think that's for the best. A little zombie dog is fine for variety, but they're too annoying to want to deal with on the reg.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
It ain't called Canine City

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Nae posted:

If you think that's bad, wait until you find out how many playable characters are cops.

I hear the devs considered using regular American civillians instead but they felt it would make more sense from a gameplay perspective to have them start with pistols instead of high powered semi-automatic rifles and pump shotguns.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I thought 2r had a great soundtrack. The Mr. X theme was super memorable, the endgame chase music was super over the top and operatic (esp Leon's version with the blaring horns). The theme music was really cheesey and fun. I'm surprised it didn't stand out more for people.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

codo27 posted:

I'm definitely at my most naïve when I watch the likes of TLoU or TWD, thinking "surely if it came down to it, mankind would unite against the monsters?"

I don't think it's that naive to imagine that modern people put in random groups of 30-60 and left to self-organize in a post-apocalypse would produce fewer mad max-style brutal mini-dictatorships than in Zombie fiction. Real horror nerds would know better than me but I think early versions of this kind of thing like Lord of the Flies and Night of the Living Dead were more allegorical and less meant to be taken at face value, and then at some point it became a favorite scenario for prepper-fantasists (and also mixed up with white nationalist tropes of holding out against urban hordes or whatever) and all of a sudden "modern civilization is just a thin veneer on top of humanity's innate savagery" became baked into the zombie premise.

Less rambling summary: zombie fiction is extremely nihilistic but I wouldn't be surprised if people would be less psycho if they lived in small groups and didn't have access to twitter.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 6, 2023

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

ImpAtom posted:

I mean political RE is just Dead Rising.

Now Dead Rising is a game that could use a RE2-style remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The 5/6/Revelations era was definitely the peak of extra-horny character designs. It is weird to think about how hosed up actual nude mutant people would probably look like though given how universal it's been for media depictions of monster people to have magic expanding shorts or ken doll physiques.