Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ascetic Crow posted:

I've never played much Resident Evil and I want to fix that. With that, what's the best way to play RE4? Should I buy the Wii or Gamecube version?

Get the Wii version. You could still use a Gamecube controller or Classic Controller with it if you don't feel like using motion controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm glad they're trying something different but first person..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Turning the main characters into super heroes really hurt the franchise for me. I don't ever want to see Chris punching giant boulders or Leon round house kicking people through 2nd story Windows ever again.

I can't even imagine a RE game without this stuff and one liners.

I hope 7 is much more than trying to be PT. Other game designers trying to emulate Kojima never works out well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The instant death scenes in RE4 would have annoyed me if they weren't so drat entertaining to see. I don't think any game tops it for death scenes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

4 holds up much better than 5 and 6 in level and enemy design.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That hand block is a lot more effective than you'd expect.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RE6 would be one of the best if just the good moments from each campaign were condensed into one campaign.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I forgot Revelations 2 even existed. I wonder how well it sold.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is the RE1 remake on PC worth it if I already have the original GameCube version still?

I've had it since release but was always a big baby and gave up once crimson heads are introduced.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They should have scanned this actor in to be Chris again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80H-BZaNvPo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wonder if the Chris DLC will deal with Lucas or if they're saving him for a sequel.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The DLC is really good. I went in just expecting everything to be like Ethan Must Die mode but was pleasantly surprised with the rest.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really need to mix things up next time I go through 4. I always get the red-9 with the stock and it feels like I'm cheesing the game a bit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiffster posted:

Unlocked all that I think I can before going into Madhouse... really not looking forward to the beginning of the game... I mean yeah I will have the Glasses and saw to help me but still... this is gonna suck

I played through it without that stuff and it didn't seem that much harder than normal except for a few parts. You'll be fine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Honestly the initial Mia fight is like, the hardest part of the game on Madhouse.

Her and Marguerite were definitely the hardest parts for me other than a few surprises like the 4-legged molded that caught me by surprise before the basement save room.

I didn't notice much difference beyond that except a few more enemies in places. The save tapes are also generous enough that adding that mechanic to Madhouse didn't change much.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I knew it wasnít going to be like REmake. No way Capcom would do another game in that style in 2018. I really hope itís good since all the 3rd person RE games except for 4 are all pretty mediocre.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looks good. I always wanted to play RE2 but it felt super dated to me even in the GC era and Iíve waited for a remake since then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Obvious observation but looks like the game still takes place in 1998 judging by how all the cars look.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Aren't a lot of developers purposefully moving away from that so they aren't giving free publicity / licensing money to firearms manufacturers? Dunno if that's the case here but I seem to recall hearing about that from other devs a year or two ago.

Probably more due to licensing cost than any ethical reason.

I donít really care either way since itís obvious to tell what gun is supposed to be what anyway. Feels like a RE tradition to give them different names.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Safeword posted:

They snap your wrist and jam frequently too, from what I understand!

Theyíre not that bad if you hold it correctly. Not something someone new to guns should ever touch though. I hate all the irresponsible videos of idiots handing one to some person that obviously has no experience shooting any gun, let alone some giant gently caress off caliber.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RE6 is one good game that has the content of two more mediocre ones sucked into it. Iíd rate it higher than 5 if it was just only the good parts of each campaign mixed into one.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 21, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Will the game be 60fps on an Xbox One X? Iím considering borrowing my cousins just to play it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Iíd rather wait another generation or two before Capcom remakes 4.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One thing I can say for this game is that the guns have the most satisfying "pop" of anything I have played since maybe Last of Us or RE4. Each shot feels weighty and significant and I am really excited to have a full game of this.

Agree. I hope the reload animations are just as good. RE4 still kills it in that department.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not a gun person does RE4 have like realistic reload animations or do they just look cool

Both. A few arenít that realistic but most are.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gently caress I need to go and play Resident Evil 4 again now.

I hope we donít have to wait too long for the Switch port.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DLC Inc posted:

the way forward towards redeeming their fighting game division lies within doing a new Darkstalkers imo

But only with an interesting art style. No more Unreal engine muppets please.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does REmake 2 do 4K/60FPS on Xbox One X?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RE5 owns and I hope it gets ported to Switch too. Finally dealing with Wesker in that game didnít disappoint.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiffster posted:

Hard to believe this time next week we will be playing this drat thing

Iím gonna borrow an Xbox One X just to play it. Red Dead Redemption 2 let me down but I donít think this will.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

tithin posted:

Resident evil 1 remake: it's good, but loving longggggggggggg

so much backtracking

The crimson head idea was cool since it makes the backtracking interesting.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I prefer how they handle the A/B thing much more in the remake since Leon A/Claire B sucks in the original and is objectively worse than Claire A/Leon B.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RE5 is good, RE6 is less good because itís bloated with too much content.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Finished off my first run of Claire A/Leon B and, drat, this was a great remake.

I think my only criticism of the game would be that I wish the death animations were more interesting. I want to see Leon get destroyed like all the various ways he can in 4.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

One thing I appreciated about 6 is it delivered on the ďpeople make these monsters for military/conflictĒ aspect of the series.

Iíd play it again if it got ported to Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dewgy posted:

RE2Make could easily have a raid mode that feels a ton like 4/5/6, it's already set up for it and would just need numbers tweaks. Hell, so far I don't think I've found any that I hate in the franchise, and the differences from one to the next are actually refreshing and stops me from burning out.

RE1: Like Alone in the Dark, but better.
RE2: Like RE1 but more action-y. Loses a little of the small house feel of the first game as a result, but the A/B scenarios are brilliant.
RE3: Like RE2 but almost too action-y. Still a fun game but this is the epitome of puzzles for puzzles' sake and they clearly had no idea what to do with the story.
RE:CV: Like RE2 but made by people who just wanted to ape the gameplay. The insane plot and fogged up Dreamcast backgrounds are fun, but I think it aged worse than the PSX ones ironically.
REMake: Serious technical showpiece for the time and a really nice update to the core gameplay,
RE4: God-tier action game, but a complete series tonal shift.
RE5: God-tier co-op game but takes the dumb campy parts of RE4 and cranks them up to 11, almost to its detriment.
RE6: Melee system's great, some extremely fun moments throughout. Way. Too. loving. Long.
RE7: Fantastic return to form, and it's seriously impressive they managed to backtrack from the insane tone of 4/5/6 while keeping it in-line with the rest of the series plotwise.
RE2Make: GOTY 2019 and it's only February, poo poo
RE:Rev: Just finished this and it's like someone took RE5 and made the plot even dumber, but not in the same way as RE6 did.
RE:Rev2: Only just started but I like it so far, even if the tone/difficulty are completely whacked out compared to the rest of the series. Way scarier tone, but everything's dropping instantly on Casual. (not a complaint btw)

In conclusion, Resident Evil is a land of contrasts.

What about RE0?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I never played RE3 or Code Veronica (bring back this Claire for it) so Iíd love to see them get the remake treatment next. 4, I donít think needs a remake yet. Iíd rather they wait another generation or two before considering it.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 11, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Iím so glad I wasnít spoiled on when Mr X first appears.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

paranoid randroid posted:

look an RE3 new engine remake would sell like gangbusters while being just an REmake 2 expansion pack ergo

Capcom knows that. I believe itís rumored that they already started development on it. I hope so since itís a no brainer and can benefit a lot from being remade.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

7 is good but it definitely takes a nose dive in quality once you get to the stupid scene that lets you choose between your wife and some person you barely know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Howíd the recent DLC turn out? Would it be worth renting the game again for?

Edit: Thanks. Thatís cool but I think Iíll pass. I appreciate the time attack modes these games have but they arenít for me.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 17, 2019