Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Just got a text from EB Games saying my RE6 preorder is available to pick up as soon as the stock arrives in a few hours. Apparently we got a surprise early release in Australia!

No doubt Capcom learned it was a long weekend/beginning of school holidays and smelled money, but hell, I'm not complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Okay, so it's out in Australia, and if anyone is (still) wondering, split screen is definitely back. Also, Jake's campaign is some of the most cheesy and unbelievable bullshit I have ever seen (this is a compliment, it's awesome).

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Thievery posted:

I have literally no doubt that it will be in the game, but I also have no confirmation of this. I can't imagine they would take it out considering it's been in Resi 5, Mercs 3D, and Revelations (If you count Raid mode), and it's no doubt the most popular and DLC-friendly part of the game.

Yeah, Mercenaries is back. I haven't had much chance to play it yet, but it seems to be exactly the same as ever.

edit:

Calaveron posted:

So she's literally wearing her RE2 outfit, as in those were the exact same clothes she wore when she was 16 or whatever :psyduck:
Capcom really needs to stop being so creepy.

If you think that's bad, wait until you see them cram her into a hospital gown that is two sizes too small, backwards and upside down. It's exactly as ridiculous as it sounds.

edit 2:

Also, if you're planning on playing split screen, there's a mandatory single player 15 minute or so tutorial before you can get to the main menu. Hope your partner has something to read!

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 29, 2012

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Tremors posted:

You early copy people need to post your impressions. :argh:

Alright. I've finished Jake and Chris' campaigns, just started on Leon's. Playing on Normal (which was still actually kind of hard), those two campaigns clocked in at roughly 10 hours apiece.

Having played with the new controls for awhile now, I have to say I actually really like how the whole thing handles - once you get used to it, it's much, much more fluid and easy to control than RE5 was. All I couldn't get comfortable with were the fruity crosshairs (but there's an option to turn on a RE4/5 style aiming laser, which I much preferred.)

Jake's campaign:
A loving ridiculous, schlocky, B-movie action bonanza. Completely awesome. A short stealth section, but it was amazingly non-irritating to play. My favourite campaign, so far. Highlight: Jake actually saying the phrase "come get some".

Chris' campaign: What I was worried about, as the demo made it seem boring as poo poo. Luckily, Capcom's just terrible at demos. Quickly gets much more interesting once (not really a spoiler if you watched the trailer) Chris' team is all dead. Highlight: the fact that Chris has become a really, really angry man. It's pretty hilarious, especially if you consider that it was pretty much as long ago that his team all died as it was at the beginning of RE5 since Jill had 'died', which didn't seem to make him any less civil.

Second highlight: (boss spoiler) I hope you guys liked fighting Yawn way back when! He's invisible now.

Leon's campaign: Leon is the worst driver in the loving universe. His campaign's pretty enjoyable for the hour I've put into it so far, though!

Mercenaries:
Exactly the same as it always was, albeit with the addition of The Mercenaries 3D-ish skills to equip. Adds some flavour to the mode.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Wanderer posted:

That wasn't "his team" in RE5. The first team was a separate group entirely, and the second was Josh's. He's also really cynical and dark about everything right up until he finds the intel about Jill, which turns him around.

Chris picked up a really paternal streak at some point between games and he takes it personally when guys under his command get whacked.

Sorry, I worded it badly. I didn't mean 'his team in RE5', I meant just Jill's alleged death, as compared to his team in RE6.

He is pretty cynical after the Jill thing, but I just meant that it kind of feels like his reaction to Jill - his partner of the last decade - and his reaction to his team should have been.. reversed? I don't know. He goes full-on hulk-out bananas over his team, as opposed to his occasional bouts of cynicism when his ex-captain who betrayed him/archnemesis of the last several years goes over a cliff with his partner and best friend.

The man is an enigma. I won't argue the paternal streak, though, that's a good point.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Alteisen posted:

Speaking of Jill.

Any mention of her at all in the game?

Not yet, which is pretty disappointing.

Tremors posted:

Since I haven't played the game yet I don't know what his reaction is, but couldn't it be the result of the compounded events of RE5/jill mixed in with some ptsd adding up to be too much for the guy?

Yeah, that's actually quite possible/likely.

PunkBoy posted:

That sounds awesome. How :smug: does Troy Baker get with Jake?

Extremely.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Oh, I forgot the biggest highlight of Chris' campaign: He can play on the slide and ride on the spring horse at the playground. The spring horse animation is the most hilarious thing I have ever seen Chris do.

GOTY.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

ImpAtom posted:

... Yeah, I'm thinking that "too serious" isn't really an issue for this one.

God, no. Actually, here's my thoughts: If RE1/2 is Evil Dead, and RE4/5 is Evil Dead 2, RE6 is Army of Darkness, and that is absolutely a compliment.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

:stonk: I didn't think RE6 had any legitimate creep-out value, but (late, late-game) holy loving poo poo Ada's campaign just took a turn for the horrifying.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

For what it's worth, I agree with the reviewers' complaints about the aiming system - it's loving terrible, UNLESS you switch the aiming mode from 'crosshair' to 'aiming laser'. I found accuracy 100x easier with that change. The crosshairs are just awful, but I can't put my finger on why.

The occasional driving controls are a bit unresponsive, too, but everything else is absolutely great, in my opinion.

One other thing I've JUST figured out: the difficulty of QTEs from zombie grabs is tied directly to your stamina bar. No stamina = bullshit QTE. Full stamina = easy QTE.

edit: Full stamina + Combat Gauge Booster Mk 2 = impossible to fail QTEs, if you can save up the XP to get it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question; I'm aware it's a heavy spoiler but I have to know about Ada's campaign.

I keep hearing "oh man wait till you see her campaign it's scary as gently caress and gruesome!!" Thing is, I'm a easily disturbed person and grossed out super easily... is it really that bad?

It's.... pretty gross. Only in Chapter 4, though, the rest is fine.

Little Mac posted:

Is Sheva mentioned at all?

Nope.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 2, 2012

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That being said I'm having a total blast as Leon even though I'm kinda unsure what to do in this one room, and the only complaint I have is holy poo poo this game is hard as gently caress, either I'm terrible or I'm getting knocked over every few minutes it seems.

If you're letting your stamina drain to empty, you'll be super easy to knock over until it recharges.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Hell, I miss hearing anything from Mercenaries. The intros are strictly text now, which is my only problem with it :argh:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Tremors posted:

Just finished Chris' chapter 4. Watching Ada die was some catharsis on the level of killing Kai Leng in ME3. Unless the game pulls a plot twist and it turns out she was a clone or something. :v:

Hahahahaha, sorry, fella. How often do you see Ada wearing blue?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've learned a important lesson in Mercs.

I'm loving awful at Mercs. I don't remember being THIS bad but holy poo poo those dogs trip me up in Urban Chaos and I find myself totally screwed a lot of the time. I need to look up pointers on this.

Quick shot. Never stop quick shotting. The dogs, I mean.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, there seems to be a bit of a difficulty curve between 4, 5 and 6. By now Normal seems to be about as hard as RE4-era Professional.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

The swimming sections in this game are the easiest thing in the world. Protip: Hold LB and mash A for autopilot. You get there so much faster you don't even have to surface.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

You can pause if your network is set to Offline when you start playing.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

GUI posted:

Yeah, I know about that already and it's pretty stupid, but I'm talking about costumes like Leon wearing his jacket being selectable in Mercenaries. From what I've seen the only unlockable costumes seem to be the goofy ones like his pirate costume.

The Mercenaries costumes actually work pretty much the same as the main game, though it's surprisingly subtle, so you might not have noticed. Your character will be wearing whichever of their campaign costumes is appropriate to the environment in the map you pick.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

That's bizarre, I actually found Ada to be one of the strongest Mercenaries characters. Uzi is great for stuns, and the crossbow can deal with almost any non-garden variety enemy with ease (except those loving flyers). Also, the crossbow quickshot is outrageously powerful, and sets any normal enemy up for an instakill stomp (except dogs, use the Uzi on them).

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Focus on guns, but punch dudes in the face if the opportunity arises.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Azran posted:

For those who own it already - are there any really annoying bits in the campaign? I hated the driving sections from RE6, the on-rails shooting sections of RE5, and the usual suspects (Chap. 2 in Jake's campaign, Chap. 5 in Leon's)

No, nothing like that. There are 2 short turret bits, but they handle okay and don't outstay their welcome.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Oh my god, Rachael is OP as poo poo. She's like loving Wolverine. Her health regen is amazing and is saving me a lot of money on herbs.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but taking hits lowers your overall score anyway so it ends up being kinda useless if you're going for S-ranks.

That's true. She's a good crutch when you're just in it for the loot/to get the lay of the land, though.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

There's a 'shield' one that spawns in one of the Abyss stages in Raid mode, which actually elevates it to serious threat because it is really hard to put down in time.

Unless you figure out their weakness to shock grenades :getin:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Snidesworth posted:

Just finished my first run through Revelation's campaign on Normal. Is Infernal worth playing, or is it a tedious affair full of bullet sponges?

I'm only a few chapters in on Infernal, but it was obviously designed for NG+ only. Nothing I've fought is particularly bullet-spongey with NG+ guns. It's generally more :gonk: OH GOD WHAT than :what: OH GOD WHAT so far.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

limited posted:

Man the RE.net events look great. :allears: Shiny rewards for murder for the next month? Sold.

Anyway, anyone got to stage 8 on Abyss? Is there some sort of gimmick to it, or do I just need bigger guns when dealing with the legion of Rachael speeders or the main one? I'm getting brick-walled even on co-op.

VVV Yeah, chewed my way through those. Looks like I need some bigger guns to make the most of the stuns. Already got the +melee parts to make that hit harder.

I just did that festival of horrors yesterday after a few tries. I ended up just knifing the last horde of them to death while walking backwards, then spamming pulse grenades + headshots on the big 'un. Save your shock grenades for after she's dead, though.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ah, weird. Guess my memory was just acting up then.

A general question: Is the wii port of the REmake any good? I never owned a gamecube so I never got to play it. I only really ask because it's still kind of pricey, so I'd rather not waste my money if it has issues.

e: I guess I should clarify, I'm asking if the port itself has issues, not the game.

The Wii version of REmake is completely fine, no problems.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Anonymous Robot posted:

What's the need-to-know to enjoy RE6?

Read the manual, if you like. Otherwise, go nuts and enjoy yourself.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

PureRok posted:

RE6 is 100x better solo.

I can't imagine being able to tolerate RE6 solo for longer than half an hour, god drat.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

abagofcheetos posted:

Are you guys talking like, online random partner coop, or actual person in the same room as you coop? The former I can see maybe being less fun than solo, but the latter? Really?

Regardless, they better announce a new game at one of the upcoming shows :argh:

I don't know about these guys, but I'm talking about couch coop, duh. I guess I can see how solo might be preferable to playing with randoms, actually.

edit:

ComposerGuy posted:

It looks as good as you can expect...but I'm going to have to not recommend you get it.

I've played through all the way to the minecart sequence, and the QTE at the end where you have to mash on "X" repeatedly to climb up or you fall is impossible as far as I can tell. It was cake on GC and PS2, but here it seems you literally can't press X fast enough. I've run a script to mash X repeatedly, thinking maybe the difficultly was increased somehow and I can't do it quickly anymore, but no. Nothing works there.

So either I've got a serious glitch, or there's a massive bug. Either way, after about 16 times re-playing that sequence, I'm done.

Have you considered you may be pressing X.. too fast?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

ComposerGuy posted:

I've tried everything I can think of. Fast, slow, you name it. No dice.

Oh, I just spent a minute googling this. Apparently that particular QTE can sometimes have issues if the framerate is locked to 60 FPS? Maybe try locking your FPS to 30 instead and see if that helps? It seems like maybe doubling the framerate doubles the amount of buttonpresses required, because Capcom.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Firaxis. RE-COM: Enemy Unknown.

...I really want this game.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I dunno, you could probably get pretty creative with stuff like Lickers and Bandersnatches and the like, not to mention the Plagas/Majini/J'avo/EXALT-style Umbrella splinter factions.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It'll actually have nothing to do with evil pharmaceutical companies or bio-weapons. It'll just be Barry Burton as a private investigator for hire solving crimes and mysteries.

:v:

...I'll show myself out.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Actually I would watch the gently caress out of a RE show that was handled like Fringe.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

The sunglasses obviously feature retractable earplugs! :coolfish:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Because the grenade launcher is extremely kickass and has all sorts of utility rounds (like freeze rounds for Nemesis :ssh:), and it is also very fun.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

SRM posted:

Similarly, I beat Resident Evil 4 twice when it came out on Gamecube without dying once, and playing it now I've died twice in the same area. I feel like I've ruined my spotless record or something.

You missed a hell of a lot of kickass death animations.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Geight posted:

Regarding a plot point in Revelations, is it significant at all that Jill injected herself with the T-Abyss vaccine, or is it solely to let her survive taking a swim through the virus just a few seconds later?

Yeah, it's pretty much that. I forgot to inject it the first time with predictable results :downs:

edit: vvv I fell in love with Helena the second I first discovered her ridiculous trick-shot combo with the Hydra.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Mountain Lightning posted:

Am I the only one thinking it might be Jessica, since this is a sequel to Revelations?

Surely Capcom's not THAT stupid.