Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Eripsa posted:

But not every format requires moderation of this sort. Reddit is largely moderated by the crowds up/down voting posts, so that "popularity" has more to do with the end result than moderation. I think in that kind of different structure requires different moderation tactics, and it is often the case that moderators can have a counterproductive result in formats like reddit.

So I don't think you can conclude anything about moderation in general from this. Moderation will work in some formats, and not work in others.

If by "counterproductive" you mean "limiting the amount of racism, misogyny, and rape jokes", and by "not require moderation" you mean "will be a festering pool of poo poo and rear end for lack of it", then yes I think I see your point.

But I have a proof that these problems will totally not happen for larger scale systems like society which goes as follows (but first I must ask you to ignore the bad parts of human nature):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU