Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Yiggy posted:

:stare:

Just think, you have increased Eripsa's marble output. Don't worry, he posts this same copy/paste every few months and then yells at everyone who "doesn't get it."

quote:

My point is that whatever definition we are using of scarcity now is not going to reflect what people living in that society will define as scarcity. It's like chasing a rainbow, for every step you advance it appears to move ahead one step and you never actually reach it.

Talking about post-scarcity societies is only sightly more rooted in reality than arguing about what year the singularity is going to appear.

But it doesn't make you right. Post scarcity has a pretty specific meaning:

quote:

Post scarcity (also styled post-scarcity or postscarcity, and also known as Resource-Based Economy) is a hypothetical form of economy or society, in which things such as goods, services and information are free, or practically free. This would be due to an abundance of fundamental resources (matter, energy and intelligence), in conjunction with sophisticated automated systems capable of converting raw materials into finished goods, allowing manufacturing to be as easy as duplicating software.

Perhaps the most important aspect of a post scarcity society is abundant and free energy, something that is limited now, and only likely to become more limited in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I apologize if I have overstated the frequency with which you have posted this absurdity, but I also remember you posting it along with reference to the notes of someone else from which you derived the concept (possibly later in that same thread) and you were engaged, but mostly dismissed. Honestly, I don't see why you find this concept so fascinating in light of more well researched ideas in post scarcity socioeconomics.