Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Weaponized Cum posted:

Someone talk me out of going to see M_nus at Space next Friday. I need to wake up early for Get Lost but the lineup is just TOO GOOD.

This could easily go on the UK Bass thread but GODDAMN, needs exposure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Malmj7jO_u8

Actually we did beat you to it with that one! It's already been in the UK Bass thread. It (and the first Saigon single actually) were in one of my recent Friday release roundups from a few weeks ago and we talked about it a wee bit too if I remember right. I think most people preferred the first release slightly better (the one with Funky Steppa on it), but they're both great. Saigon is fast becoming a real label to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

infinity2005 posted:

and r&s from Belgium

Actually R&S is based down in London now and has been since they re-launched a few years ago. The more you know eh?

Anyway I've definitely been digging this new The Other Side Of The City stuff. I'll need to keep an eye on this label.

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=CITY01

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

AKP posted:

The thread name needs to have relevance to newcomers. Any other ideas? (IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS JACK, AND JACK HAD A GROOVE.)

Too House-y! You've always got something like "Beyond The Dance". Some subtley different meanings going on with that too.

Anyway personally - if I can be big headed for a moment though - I'd definitely check out my OP in the UK Bass thread. I like to think I did a pretty good job of it. Defining everything quickly and (as well as I can anyway) coherently, in one or two paragraphs. Explaining what that sound and this sound is all about, how X came from Y. I mean not getting into too much spergy detail about every little niche sound and micro-scene, but just enough to get a bit of a bearing. Making people realise it's all connected, it's all part of one big lineage of progessive (small p) black dance music.

Surprisingly it's the one thing Ishkur's guide got right. Well I say right, I mean less wrong, but thanks to the flowchart-ness of it all you could see how stuff spawned from such and such, when it roughly happened etc. A lot of it was wrongly and badly done, but it was about the only interesting bit of it. Makes you wish it was actually written by someone who knew what the gently caress they were talking about.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Hatem Ben Arfa posted:

That's the one. Yeah it's definitely more mainstream orientated, but the occassional underground / deep tune gets posted in there that would fit in here as well. I'm definitely not completely against a house section here, just figured newer folk might get confused seeing house in 2 different threads. Suppose the OP could include a small line like "if you're looking for more progressive/electro house then check out to the other thread" with a link?

Yeah it'd be easy to work in the House angle, as long as - like you said - you kinda seperate it out and make it clear what goes where. ABC-type of House goes in that thread, the cool stuff such as XYZ-type of House goes here. "What makes XYZ cool?" then you could talk a wee bit about the differences, what makes them unique etc. Then you're pretty much as a proper House & Techno megathread kinda thing.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

infinity2005 posted:

You're right it is all around bad with plain made up stuff all over it. There's just no alternative for a rapid fire introduction of electronic music and to help break people's immediate complaints about 'too many subgenres' and so on and why there is genuinely so much variation between things. I think 10 tracks is a good balance between too many and too little you got space to show variety in your picks. 28GG is great with his choices and breakdowns of genres so i'd like to see his 10 choices for various things.

I know we could argue all day about choices but my main thought was just to present a selection of tracks that represents the genre well, not if it's the best 10 possible picks. My main thought is how to exactly break down something like dubstep, which would be an obvious popular genre for people to check first, to 10 tracks. Maybe allow for more by giving 05-06 10 tracks and so on? Then it feels like a flood of info again though which is what i wanted to avoid. Have 10 big obvious examples of Techno, House, Dubstep, then smaller lists of certain timeframes/scenes. Like ontopic Techno would i suppose have 10 tracks of detroit era, 10 from German 90s era, 10 more modern ones prehaps?

See I'd say 10 tracks would be way too overload for what's supposed to be a brief description. When I was doing my brief intro paragraph or two for each genre I limited it to 3, maybe 4 songs in each one. Easily digestable without being an overload.

The good thing about the UK scene stuff is the fact it does develop at breakneck speed, so things change a hell of a lot faster than in other scenes. So say with UK Garage you were looking at like a 'peak' popularity of about '97 to '01 so it was quite easy to big 3-4 big-ish tunes from each year to fit the bill.

Of course it's harder with stuff like Deep House as it's such a vague kinda term. I've seen stuff from as far back as '88/89 billed as Deep House (whether it's what we now recognise as Deep House or not). So how do you deal with nearly 25 years of catalogue you know? Same with Detroit Techno since you could be dealing with stuff from day dot to what came out yesterday.

So what you could do is say, have 4-5 tracks on each one. One big tune that is the personification of the genre from this year, one from last year, then if needed you can skip back say 5 years put one in from there, then maybe 10 years back a big one from there etc. Only downside is again it could get a bit confusing, but like I said if you restrict it and make clear this is from X year then it might work maybe?

blacksun posted:

This is why I don't see a point trying to singularly define 'sounds' or 'genres' in this increasingly diverse music scene. All it does it shoebox those genres and further contribute to pretentious idiots saying 'THAT isn't techno, only THIS is techno'.

See the thing is at the end of the day you're trying to describe something as varied as House/Techno (which is what we're trying to do here) you do need to say, "well this is such and such". Now you do want to avoid definitively saying that "this and only this is" whatever, but you can say "oh well this is one example of Minimal Techno because of X, however Minimal Techno doesn't need to sound exactly the same as this".

Yes certain scenes have become a bit more mixed as late (moreso the likes of what this thread would look at, though I believe it's not quite as diverse as many might think), but it's still a wide world out there and trying to use what has become such a generic term like House or even Techno would be a bit too all encompassing if you're actually trying to describe something. At some point you do need to be able to label it in some way.

Now you shouldn't need to be strict about it if that's possible (no "oh this is Minimal Nigerian Deep Funky Techno House" etc), but you do need to say okay this is Deep House for instance. What makes it Deep House? How did all roads lead to the present day Rome as it were? Well because this track and that track lead to where we are now and that's why such and such is in this genre.

And Christmas loving post or what. gently caress me, merry Christmas everyone!

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Longtiem posted:

something a little more, german? aggressive? less vocal? Can't really find all the words to describe it.

Boring? Yeah I went there bitches, and what? :colbert:

Actually I've got a loving cheek to talk since I talk since I was really liking that new Troy Gunner release on Infinite Machine. Talking a sharp turn off from the Bass-y Garage vibes of his previous releases, into a Dub Techno direction. Now normally - with a good few exceptions I have to admit - I generally don't like a lot of stuff in that style, but I'm liking this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysKRHif0rHA

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

reichsten posted:

Edit: Also does anyone know where you can order vinyl for the Nonplus comp that's coming out soon? Typically I find their stuff at Surus, but this comp is going to be strictly 1000 and I really don't want to miss it. Far as I can tell it'll be the only way to get this one on vinyl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-aioJYp4zE

Try the usual suspects, your Junos, Chemicals, Boomkats, Redeyes etc they should all have it I assume. List with links etc in the OP in the UK Bass thread. And of course check your local record shop too! They may possibly be able to get it in if they've got an account with ST Holdings.

That's one comp though I'm afraid I'll be CD only for. I just can't justify 40 quid to myself right now. And man gently caress limited edition anything beyond silly gimmicks like coloured vinyl. Far as I'm concerned it should be you want it you got it (as much as possible anyway).

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

reichsten posted:

I really only want that Joy O tune on vinyl. If they end up doing a Think and Change sampler with that on it, then I won't need the full comp, but I'm basically willing to pay whatever it costs to get that Joy O tune. I have issues...

Yeah they've got 2 12" samplers out now and I thought it was the Joy O one on the first, but turns out it's a Joy O & Boddika number. Ah well. Not too sure how many samplers they're putting out though, and the latest release sheet ain't got nothing (with the Scuba/Basic Soul Unit one out last/this week).

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

a milk crime posted:

FYI according to all of the press releases, after the limited 5xLP is released (there will be 1,000 copies of that), then each of the 12"s will be individually released.

Well that's what I get for completely forgetting about what the press release said. In my defense I did post about it when it was first announced which was a good while ago now. I saw Freerange have been doing that splitting up thing too with their Out Of The Ashes thing. I guess it makes sense since the stampers etc are all made anyway.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Longtiem posted:

I'm gonna say most people think of things more like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef6kX4dOWc0

See I used to really struggle when people mentioned the word Electro and it wasn't something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZK2ynqUPfs. It's not even like I'm some ancient codger either dammit! Different cultural references I guess.

I'd also accept any Drexciya-esque thing when people speak about Electro as I'm pretty easy really.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

reichsten posted:

Really? In my experience, 1000 is basically the minimum to make money on a pressing, 500 you're usually going to just break even. Loefah mentions typically pressing at least 1000 for all the Swamp81 releases, and I feel like that's a pretty underground label, bigger tunes must be getting at least a few thousand press, no?

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1542

I definitely wouldn't say Swamp81 was an underground label. Well in terms of no-one knowing about them anyway, for a time there everyone seemed to be playing a Swamp81 track. I'd imagine very few tunes nowadays will reach 4 figures in vinyl sales. A lot of smaller labels the initial pressing is down at the 300 mark, which if you have a good distributer etc and don't waste half of them giving out free promos or whatever you can just about make it work. You won't be making much, but you might just break even. Though I remember even just 10 years ago or so selling 1000-2000 copies would put you in the lower divisions.

Obviously nowadays you've got the whole digital sales thing though to potentially help you out, but I really don't know what the average sales figures are on those nowadays. They used to be loving shocking though I remember that, at least in the whole UK scene, but that was before digital downloads kinda took off in the dance scene.

Anyway 1000 for something like that would normally be a fairly big pressing for that kind of thing, though I have a feeling by all the hype etc about the compilation that it'll probably sell out fairly quickly. Probably not one to wait around for anyway.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Blowdryer posted:

Does anybody know the song at 2:18:38 in this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCsZNuWa-4

It's the mixmag video of the Dirtybird Players and it's amazing. Catz N Dogz then Justin Martin then JM & Eats Everything B2B!

Absolutely shocking, kids nowadays not immediately knowing the genius that is Wildchild's Renegade Master. Though I've got a cheek to talk, since while I'd say it sounds like the original, that tune got re-released and remixed so many times I'm not 100%.

And doubly disappointed in that crowd, that tune should've got a rewind. Even if they had to do it themselves.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Hatem Ben Arfa posted:

It's the Friend Within refix of Renegade Master, still unreleased. Kids nowadays...

Heh, well I did say it's been redone many a time! It's crazy how long that track keeps echoing about. Tell you what though, that remix is pretty straight forward which is a bit of a shame as I think with that track you could really twist it about. Mind you I've got some pure cheek to say that really, since my favourite take of it was always New Blood's jump-up thing which is about as straight forward as it could get.

Anyway speaking of Techno, I will say that I've have been digging the new Herva EP on Delsin. And it is a very Delsin record I'd say, if that phrase makes any sense. A bit off the beaten path which does me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH8U-Lzzwpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGeBhm69Dhk

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

The new album is so good, this has definitely been my favourite cut off it. I actually thought it was a bit more laid back compared to the last few, I wonder if that's the lack of Soma influence maybe?

Anyway it's hard enough though. The TBD revival over the past few years has been fantastic.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

nomapple posted:

I guess I'll keep digging round the early Warp stuff as I'm sure there's plenty I haven't explored.

If you've got any more recent recs, send them my way. It doesn't have to sound like the stuff I mentioned. I'm basically looking for some sort of primer into techno. What releases have received pretty wide acclaim over the last couple of years?

For that early Warp Bleep stuff there's the comps they put out for their 10th anniversary. Warp 10+1 while having classic House and Techno on the first disc, the second had a whole bunch of Bleep anthems at the time. The second volume Warp 10+2 had all those really classic Warp tunes on it, your LFO, NoW, Sweet Exorcist etc.

For the better primer on that early Warp/Bleep sound try the first part in the guide I wrote up for the UK Bass thread.

Also if you like Balil remember that was an alias of The Black Dog, or an alias of one of the original members of the original TBD. Soma Records put out a 2xCD comp of all their early stuff called the Book of Dogma which might be what you're after. Totally ahead of it's time when you consider some of it came out in 1989/90. Soma also reissued their first kinda album called Temple of Transparent Balls too which is worth it. There's also Bytes, which was a record Warp put out of The Black Dog and their alias stuff in '93, as part of that whole Artificial Intelligence series they did. All on that list is probably worth checking too.

None of that's exactly new but hey, give it a whirl I guess. Can't really think of anyone doing that sound nowadays bar the odd wee throwback soundalike now and then. Though The Black Dog did put out an EP the other year where they gave it a tribute. I suppose some of the Deep Tech stuff looks back on some of that bleep sound, but that's a different ballgame really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

puberty worked me over posted:

Hey a bunch of hosers made some new tracks that sound super drat similar to B12's early 90s albums, neat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvcCgg4LKis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLEjh5BBvzE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sAHf_myJM

What's weird is when people describe this stuff as IDM/techno and refuse to make any mention to how heavily detroit's pioneers influenced this sound.

Super similar because it is B12! Well Steven Rutter is one half of B12 and Firescope is his new label. Well I say new a couple of years old at this point.