Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
I had the smaller model and it would cramp my ankle pretty bad unless I crossed my legs. Not pleasant at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

It's not particularly impressive when you consider that the rest of the park was dominated by professional campers in massive fifth wheel trailers larger than my apartment, but it still felt nice to get out of the city for an evening. AND, I spent more time on a dirt road than I have since breaking my leg!

Hell with the pros, you're doing it the right way.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Goddamn I really want to load up the bike and go camping somwhere once May hits and the rains start to pull back. Anyone have some good locations near water in Eastern Washington? Some of us have been talking about camping along the Columbia river around Memorial day.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Potholes can be nice, but the mosquitoes can also be out of control. I go to Sun Lakes or Steamboat Rock just about every year.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Pope Mobile posted:

Goddamn I really want to load up the bike and go camping somwhere once May hits and the rains start to pull back. Anyone have some good locations near water in Eastern Washington? Some of us have been talking about camping along the Columbia river around Memorial day.

Palouse Falls
Spiral Highway

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We all discussed it and settled on a campsite that's still on the east side but north rather than south: Lost Lake Group Unit Campground, Washington.

quote:

LOST LAKE GROUP UNIT Description
Lost Lake Group Campground is situated on the northern edge of Lost Lake in Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest near Tonasket, Washington. Set beneath mixed-conifer forest and surrounded by high mountains, this campground offers one group site, suitable for large family and group camping excursions.

Campground Directions
From Tonasket, Washington, take State Route 20 east for 24 miles. Exit at the Bonaparte Recreation Area on Qkanogan County road 4953, which turns into National Forest System road 32. Continue on National Forest System road 32 for 4 miles to National Forest System road 33. Take the left fork onto National Forest System road 33, traveling north for 5 miles to a four corner junction. Turn left at the four corner junction onto National Forest System road 33-053 and continue for a mile to the campground. Upon entering the campground, the group unit is the first site on the left beside the Guard House.

(At least) one of my friends is leaving early on the Friday of our trip to add a few miles and take HWY 20, as he's not ridden it before.

Here's our route:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...2&via=1&t=m&z=9

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Make sure to ride 20 between there and Kettle Falls. You will enjoy it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pope Mobile posted:

We all discussed it and settled on a campsite that's still on the east side but north rather than south: Lost Lake Group Unit Campground, Washington.

(At least) one of my friends is leaving early on the Friday of our trip to add a few miles and take HWY 20, as he's not ridden it before.

Here's our route:

Are you doing this in one day? Going out and back? I can suggest a pretty decent loop depending on how many miles you want to cover. Prepare to freeze your rear end off going over the pass.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

Are you doing this in one day? Going out and back? I can suggest a pretty decent loop depending on how many miles you want to cover. Prepare to freeze your rear end off going over the pass.

First time I rode North Cascades Hwy over the pass was on my Vulcan 1500 that barely turned right, at about 10pm, in early May. It was pitch black with snow walls twice as tall as me. Had to hop off close to the top and stand in my exhaust to warm up a little. On the way down, I lost count of how many deer eyes I saw reflecting the headlight. It was probably about the dumbest thing I've ever decided to do on a motorcycle.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

It's supposed to warm up this weekend but here is the current telemetry on Washington pass:
http://www.nwac.us/weatherdata/washingtonpass/now/

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

n8r posted:

We're all camping over the weekend. Some people are driving while others are riding out. The trip is June 7-9, just a two nighter. How cold is the pass in early June? I know they're already clearing them. We're going to take 90 if it's not clear by then.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pope Mobile posted:

We're all camping over the weekend. Some people are driving while others are riding out. The trip is June 7-9, just a two nighter. How cold is the pass in early June? I know they're already clearing them. We're going to take 90 if it's not clear by then.

Oh you'd be fine by then.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

Here's our route:

Sick with jealousy here.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Here's before and after photos from my first night camping with my bike. Also, first night camping in a hammock aaaand first night in Canada on my trip from California to Alaska. This was last week.

(I'm posting this all from my phone using imgur and SA apps so if its all hosed up I'm sorry. Currently in a motel in Tok, AK while I wait for the snow to let up)

tranten fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 4, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Looks like a chilly morning.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

poo poo. Did you wake up like that in the morning, or did it start snowing after you set up?

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Woke up at 4:30am freezing. Got out of the hammock and saw it. Went and took a 45 minute shower and came back and snapped the pic. Ice all over the roads meant it wasn't the most fun day on the road. :-) but that's all part of the big-picture fun!!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

tranten posted:

Woke up at 4:30am freezing. Got out of the hammock and saw it. Went and took a 45 minute shower and came back and snapped the pic. Ice all over the roads meant it wasn't the most fun day on the road. :-) but that's all part of the big-picture fun!!

What sleeping bag are you using? What are you using to insulate your bottom where it presses against the hammock?

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

It's a 15°F marmot bag, and the hammock (Hennessey brand) I got the extra "undercover" pad and sling for. So there's a thin pad under me. That was the first time I'd set it up so I'd forgotten the emergency blanket to put above the pad as well as I didn't have everything lined up right nor experience in sleeping in the hammock. The next time was probably a lot colder out (around 5-10° I heard) and I slept a lot warmer. Experience helped!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Because of the Skagit bridge collapse, I've had to edit my route. Thinking of jumping across on 534 and going north on 9 to 20.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...ia=1,2&t=m&z=11

Anyone ridden 534 and/or 9? Are we better off just taking the detour with the amount of time and miles we'd be adding by taking 534/9? It looks like we could get off at the detour and either keep going north to 20 on Burlington or turn onto Whitmarsh and hit 20 that way.

The pass is open, and looking at the webcams, it's sunny and awesome. Supposed to be rain free the rest of the week, too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I take 534/9 up to Walker Valley. It'll get you there.

When I do North Cascades, my favorite route is 530 through Darrington, and connect with 20 at Rockport. It's a pretty nice ride into the foothills there, though it may be a little crowded with the detour. Darrington to Rockport is dueling banjos; pretty deserted jacked-up Confederate flag Dodge pickup country.

Another decent option is to take 530->9->20. 9 between Arlington and Big Lake has a lot of 55mph speed limit that is quite a lot of fun. I feel like I am being bad every time I ride/drive that stretch, but when I look down at the gauge I'm doing like 5-under to 5-over.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 3, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Sweet. We'll probably end up with 534/9/20. Don't want to add too much time. We have to get to the camp eventually, and we've already added ~30 minutes by hitting up 20. I'd prefer to stay on the route with more gas stations, too, as my friend's shadow only gets about 130 to the tank.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There are gas stations at the Rockport intersection and in marble mount. :)

I am a little jealous. I haven't rode my Buell on north cascades, ever. But I'll be on the west slope of the rockies in a week with it, so not too jealous.

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
I'm riding with Pope Mobile. I submit this is just as good a ride, without getting anywhere near that stupid bridge collapse. Also making it easier for directionally disabled folks like myself.

http://goo.gl/maps/lxq8U

Thoughts?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's the good stuff. 20 from Sedro Wolley to Rockport is a schlep, the ride through Darrington is nicer.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

effzedsix posted:

I'm riding with Pope Mobile. I submit this is just as good a ride, without getting anywhere near that stupid bridge collapse. Also making it easier for directionally disabled folks like myself.

http://goo.gl/maps/lxq8U

Thoughts?

It took my a bit to realize you changed your name.

That path does seem to work out better.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Holy poo poo that looks like a beautiful ride. I can just imagine the mountains.

I need to move out west.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pope Mobile posted:

It took my a bit to realize you changed your name.

That path does seem to work out better.

I'm going to be on the most eastern part of that weds.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Trip report: Awesome ride. 530 and 20 were good, but it was a bit chilly with rain spitting on us now and then. Nothing too bad. There were a fair number of slow movers going down 20, but we got some good spots of open speed and twisting. Once we got over the pass and down towards Winthrop, it warmed up and traffic cleared.
The best part, though, was when 20 turns, outside Twisp, towards Okanogan. Just under 30 miles of open road and twisties. We came up to one car, and he pulled over pretty quickly.
You start out in the hills & trees then come out to a sweeping valley view a few miles before you hit 97. Holy poo poo, it was amazing.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...&sz=13&t=m&z=13

When we got to the general area the camp was in and turned down one of the forest services roads (as per the directions) it was blocked off about half a mile down. Effzedsix went back to the restaurant/bait shop to ask about it while I went down a different FS road. It clearly hadn't been used in some time and I ended up doing some muddin'.

For the route back, we went down 97>2>90 and I was home by 2:30.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I drove 20, Sherman Pass from Republic to Kettle Falls Weds AM and while the weather was lovely, I couldn't help but wish I had my C14 instead of our loaded up Subaru Legacy.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
California goons, I am thinking about riding up Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco over a weekend this summer, sleeping once on the way somewhere, spending some time up there and then riding back, though might superslab it home to speed things up.

Here is the route I whipped up, has anyone done this before and have recommendations for/against? Where are good places to stop on the way? Anything must see? Never done bike camping so would love the advice now that I'm manning up a bit to do it. :)

http://goo.gl/maps/qzjst

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BotchedLobotomy posted:

California goons, I am thinking about riding up Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco over a weekend this summer, sleeping once on the way somewhere, spending some time up there and then riding back, though might superslab it home to speed things up.

Here is the route I whipped up, has anyone done this before and have recommendations for/against? Where are good places to stop on the way? Anything must see? Never done bike camping so would love the advice now that I'm manning up a bit to do it. :)

If you're doing 2 days each way, you should have plenty of time to check out cool stuff along the way. I don't know much south of Monterey, but if you want, check out Santa Cruz a bit. The college campus is really quite beautiful, built on a hill among wonderful trees with pedestrian bridges joining the buildings. Downtown is cool too.

gently caress I-5, at the very least take 101 home if you don't want to re-trace PCH. I did PCH to Portland and back from SF, found it enjoyable in both directions.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
I'm going from Seattle to LA July 10-15/17 (depending on how many days I spend in the Bay Area with friends/family), and that's basically my route from SF to LA on my last leg. I'm leaving from San Jose and going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (because I can) before bombing to LA. Is it unreasonable to do that stretch in one long day? I'm planning on going to the Aquarium around 10am, stay until noonish, then roll out and do the remaining 6-7 hours of riding arriving at my end point in North Hollywood in time to go out for beers and post-ride burgers that evening.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Monterey Bay is, what, under 300 miles from LA? You should be able to get that no problem in 6ish hours depending on your speed and route.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

Monterey Bay is, what, under 300 miles from LA? You should be able to get that no problem in 6ish hours depending on your speed and route.

Last time it was 323 from leave to arrive.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Unless you're really committed to taking the 1 the entire way, I'd break off from the 1 at Santa Cruz, and take Highway 9 up until you hit 236/Big Basin Highway. I'd ride 236 back to 9, then jump on 35 and take that until you get to Alice's, have an overpriced burger, then depending on how you feel either take the 84 back to the 1, or take the 35 all the way in to the Bay.

Also take a P+S camera, not a DSLR, and don't be afraid to pull over and relax/take a photo as often as you feel like.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

DJ_Ferret posted:

I'm going from Seattle to LA July 10-15/17 (depending on how many days I spend in the Bay Area with friends/family), and that's basically my route from SF to LA on my last leg. I'm leaving from San Jose and going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (because I can) before bombing to LA. Is it unreasonable to do that stretch in one long day? I'm planning on going to the Aquarium around 10am, stay until noonish, then roll out and do the remaining 6-7 hours of riding arriving at my end point in North Hollywood in time to go out for beers and post-ride burgers that evening.

When I did the California coast in 2011, it took a couple hours from SF to Monterey. From Monterey through the Big Sur area to our final stop near SLO, it was a long, slow, exhausting day. You can do it but get out early and be ready for a schlep if you're planning to get to LA in a day down 1.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

Trip report: Awesome ride. 530 and 20 were good, but it was a bit chilly with rain spitting on us now and then. Nothing too bad. There were a fair number of slow movers going down 20, but we got some good spots of open speed and twisting. Once we got over the pass and down towards Winthrop, it warmed up and traffic cleared.
The best part, though, was when 20 turns, outside Twisp, towards Okanogan. Just under 30 miles of open road and twisties. We came up to one car, and he pulled over pretty quickly.
You start out in the hills & trees then come out to a sweeping valley view a few miles before you hit 97. Holy poo poo, it was amazing.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...&sz=13&t=m&z=13

I love riding out there, especially between Tonasket and Kettle Falls. I'll be doing this in a couple weeks for the annual rally in Republic.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Just FYI, if you're coming down highway 1 and need a place to crash I'm Like 2 miles from Morro bay. I don't have spare beds, but you're welcome to some floorspace in the garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

When I did the California coast in 2011, it took a couple hours from SF to Monterey. From Monterey through the Big Sur area to our final stop near SLO, it was a long, slow, exhausting day. You can do it but get out early and be ready for a schlep if you're planning to get to LA in a day down 1.

I did Santa Barbara to Santa Cruz and back in a day via Highway 1. Took about 10 hours on the bike, (12 hours total, stopped for lunch in Santa Cruz and then turned around and went home) but I did no breaks and rolled most of that section of highway one at speed. Figure about 10 hours from SF to LA depending on how much speed you pull through the corners and what sort of riding/mental shape you're in. Get up at 6AM, get to the aquarium by 8 or 9, hang out there until 11 or so, and then boogie the rest of the way down.

• Locked thread