Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

This probably goes more into the touring / sport-touring threads, but...

600 miles a day is 8-10 hours of straight superslabbing

I've done many 500 mile days, it takes about 8 hours on the interstate if you're going to do any sort of eating and hydration, which you should; I always get from the Seattle area to Missoula in 8 hours flat - that's doing 75-80mph on I90, with a tail wind (way better than a head wind for the fatigue), and one food stop. Coming west usually adds a half hour due to the slower going against the usually-stiff headwind from Spokane to Cle Elum.

In my experience, after 8 hours the riding becomes a chore. 600+ mile days are rough for me and I don't look forward to them, even though I know they're doable. I've done a 1000 mile day with a nap in the middle, and even then I was pretty much delirious by the end of it.

When I go to Texas this spring, I am targeting 400 mile days. I've never lived on the bike for two weeks, so taking it a little slower than 500-per is probably going to be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

DJCobol posted:

Its not really camping I guess, but I could use some pointers on a summer bike trip I've been day-dreaming about.

The plan:
Hotels. Lots of them. I have a poo poo-ton of Holiday Inn Express points that I will be using to stay in hotels all along the way. I don't personally enjoy camping anymore after being forced into it as a kid in the boy scouts. Plus I dont have a tent and all that other crap. I'd rather not waste the money buying one that I'll never use again and that I'd have to strap onto the bike. Same goes for a ground pad and a sleeping bag. Hotels are free, have comfy beds, washers/dryers, hot showers and free breakfast/snacks, so thats what I'll be doing.

Tentative itinerary for late summer trip:
Day 1 - Ride from Nashville, TN to Topeka, KS. 600ish miles (guy I work that has ridden cross country a few times says 600 a day is easily doable, even for a rookie rider)
Day 2 - Topeka, KS to Colorado Springs, CO
Day 3 - Colorado Springs area. Definitely want to go check out Pikes Peak and other places
Day 4 - Colorado Springs to Denver
Day 5 - Denver area
Day 6 - Denver to Topeka (or Kansas City if I'm feeling up for riding more/faster)
Day 7 - Ride home to Nashville.

No camping? :getout:

Seriously tho, someone's gotta be the forum dick and n8 already had it partly covered, but honestly that trip sounds terrible. Something I might use to punish a rider. It's totally doable but I don't know if I'd call it enjoyable. You basically have 4 days of travel and 3 days of recreation, except day 3 you're still going to be wasted from the previous two days of travel. I don't know what's the most miles you've done in a day, but its more tiring than you'd expect.

For a comparison, I'm fairly fit for endurance. I ride a bicycle a lot, and have been hiking and playing disc golf with weighted bags to help. I've been thinking about daytrips to that park I posted earlier in the thread, which would mean a minimum of 5 hours moving on pavement(not counting stops) and probably 4-5 miles hiking. Even with that it's only 250 miles or so, but at this point I think the only way I'll pull it off is stopping twice on the way home, once to eat and rest.

I can understand wanting to get out west but this is a rough way to do it. Godspeed if you want to, but with the riding experience you've described and where you live, I think you can have a much more enjoyable experience staying closer to home.

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Its not really camping I guess, but I could use some pointers on a summer bike trip I've been day-dreaming about.

Nashville to Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak) to Denver, back to Nashville

Me:
Only been riding about 6 months now. Took the MSF beginner course last August, plan on taking the advanced course here in a month or two. I also plan on doing a few weekend trips around TN just to get used to riding on the bike for more than a few hours at a time joyriding around town.

The bike:
'06 Suzuki SV650S w/ 40k miles. Previous owner rode the poo poo out of it, but maintained it very, very well. Bike still looks brand new. Plan on getting new tires, brakes, chain and valve check/adjustment soon, just did an oil and filter change. Helpful bits on the bike:
1) SW Motech tank ring adapter (still need to get my own tank bag)
2) SW Motech rear bag platform. Took this off for now, but would put it back on and get a hard case to put on it.
3) 2 12v charging ports. One under the passenger seat, one up by the tach.

The plan:
Hotels. Lots of them. I have a poo poo-ton of Holiday Inn Express points that I will be using to stay in hotels all along the way. I don't personally enjoy camping anymore after being forced into it as a kid in the boy scouts. Plus I dont have a tent and all that other crap. I'd rather not waste the money buying one that I'll never use again and that I'd have to strap onto the bike. Same goes for a ground pad and a sleeping bag. Hotels are free, have comfy beds, washers/dryers, hot showers and free breakfast/snacks, so thats what I'll be doing.

Day 1 - Ride from Nashville, TN to Topeka, KS. 600ish miles (guy I work that has ridden cross country a few times says 600 a day is easily doable, even for a rookie rider)
Day 3 - Colorado Springs area. Definitely want to go check out Pikes Peak and other places
Day 5 - Denver area
Day 6 - Denver to Topeka (or Kansas City if I'm feeling up for riding more/faster)

Things I know I need:
1) More riding experience. Starting in March I will be doing 2-3 day trips around the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast area (Knoxville/Asheville, Atlanta, Memphis) to get more seat time.
2) Riding gear. Have a basic helmet, mesh jacket and gloves right now. Need a better helmet (really want a modular one w/ bluetooth), pants, boots and rain gear
3) Bike storage. Hoping I can fit most stuff for a week in a backpack w/ rainfly on my back seat. I still plan on getting a tank bag for smaller things like a point and shoot camera, my phone, wallet and other immediate use items, and then a bigger rear storage compartment for other stuff, especially if I decide to bring my DSLR along

Questions:
1) What else am I forgetting? What kind of bike maintenance should I do before leaving that I haven't already mentioned above?
2) What kind of emergency tools should I bring with me?
3) Where else should I plan on going while out there? I have enough room in my schedule to day another 1-2 days in the Colorado area.
4) When would be a good time to start planning this trip? Late enough in the summer that its not mind-numbing hot, but not cold enough that I have to start worrying about ice/snow in Colorado.

I think you're making a mistake I did on my first long road trip on a motorcycle.

You are thinking of and counting times like you would in a car. You can't eat on your motorcycle, you can't drink on your motorcycle (unless you get a camelbak or something) and riding long distances on a motorcycle is work. There is no air condition and the sun on you all day really can take it out of you. You'll find yourself pulling over and wanting to stop and eat and stretch and do all these other little things that slowly eat away at the schedule you are trying to keep.

My first long trip was from Raleigh NC, up to near Chicago, down to St. Louis, then to Missippi and back to Raleigh. The one thing I tell myself when I do a trip now is to add in extra time just to slow down and enjoy the trip. I felt the whole time like I was rushing and trying to get to my next stop on time to visit people or whatever. Worse, is if you have something you haven't planned for like a good rain that you slow down or pull over for. I did about 550mi on interstate my first day, and it blew.

If I can give you any advice, take your time. Pad an extra day or two onto your travel estimates so that you can chill out, enjoy the ride and relax while doing it.

600 miles a day is doable. I did it. But its not something I enjoyed and the only reason I would ever do it again is if I was on a serious time crunch or doing one of those Iron rear end challenges.

Consider taking a stop in St. Charles or Columbia MO. Both fairly nice towns with good places to eat and kill time, as well as hotels close to the highway that aren't sketchy as hell. Thats the area I grew up in and go back to frequently. If you want any suggestions on places there send me a PM. Once you have a better idea of when you are going to be doing your trip let me know as well. I have to head back to Columbia this spring to visit family. If you roll through while I'm there I'll treat you to a meal at least.

Also, as far as clothes go I tend to pack lighter and just do wash more often. I get by with basically two pair of pants and a few shirts plus undergarments. Just stuff I can fit in one '3 day pack' and strap to the bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The best part of this discussion so far is nSap claiming there are any fitness benefits to disc golf.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It isn't that strenuous, that's why I wear a weighted pack...to help for my hiking endurance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

According to this map you're starting just outside of where the terrain is interesting to ride (the Appalachians), turning your back on it, and riding west on the most boring roads in existence only to stop just before it gets super interesting again (the Rockies). If you're going to do the trip, at LEAST cut south through the Ozarks (southwestern MO to northern AR/OK) instead of just taking the interstate. There's no real good way to get across the great basin, but at least that way you get something vaguely mountainous before you hit Colorado and turn around in sight of some of the most beautiful terrain in the country.

I mean, seriously? Central Kansas?

vs. western Colorado

Make the trip a week longer, strap on an extra can of gas and drive straight through Denver to the San Rafael Swell, then up to Salt Lake, then back across to Denver again and return home. You'll thank me afterwards.

e: oh, my achy breaky tables

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

DJCobol posted:

Nashville to Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak) to Denver, back to Nashville

Me:
Only been riding about 6 months now. Took the MSF beginner course last August, plan on taking the advanced course here in a month or two. I also plan on doing a few weekend trips around TN just to get used to riding on the bike for more than a few hours at a time joyriding around town.

The bike:
'06 Suzuki SV650S w/ 40k miles. Previous owner rode the poo poo out of it, but maintained it very, very well. Bike still looks brand new. Plan on getting new tires, brakes, chain and valve check/adjustment soon, just did an oil and filter change. Helpful bits on the bike:
1) SW Motech tank ring adapter (still need to get my own tank bag)
2) SW Motech rear bag platform. Took this off for now, but would put it back on and get a hard case to put on it.
3) 2 12v charging ports. One under the passenger seat, one up by the tach.

The plan:

Day 5 - Denver area

Things I know I need:
1) More riding experience. Starting in March I will be doing 2-3 day trips around the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast area (Knoxville/Asheville, Atlanta, Memphis) to get more seat time.
2) Riding gear. Have a basic helmet, mesh jacket and gloves right now. Need a better helmet (really want a modular one w/ bluetooth), pants, boots and rain gear
3) Bike storage. Hoping I can fit most stuff for a week in a backpack w/ rainfly on my back seat. I still plan on getting a tank bag for smaller things like a point and shoot camera, my phone, wallet and other immediate use items, and then a bigger rear storage compartment for other stuff, especially if I decide to bring my DSLR along

Questions:
1) What else am I forgetting? What kind of bike maintenance should I do before leaving that I haven't already mentioned above?
2) What kind of emergency tools should I bring with me?
3) Where else should I plan on going while out there? I have enough room in my schedule to day another 1-2 days in the Colorado area.
4) When would be a good time to start planning this trip? Late enough in the summer that its not mind-numbing hot, but not cold enough that I have to start worrying about ice/snow in Colorado.

If you don't feel you can spend more time in CO I suggest you revise your route this way: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...s&via=3&t=m&z=6

Come in on US 50, it's much more interesting than 70, CO Springs is alright but check out Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak. Mt. Evans is also a nice ride up to 14,000 feet.

Buena Vista has some hot springs around it and hotels and makes for a nice bit of being closer to the mountains than Denver.

If you do plan to stay in Denver drop me a line and we can grab a beer or you can crash at our place.

Edit: We don't get snow until October but September can get cold quickly. Rain is more common in August than June. I'd suggest a Memorial Day trip or sometime in early June.

While it's true that 500+ miles can take all day if you're not used to it,if you already enjoy driving long distances riding long distances isn't bad at all. I really enjoy 500-700 mile days when the roads are empty and fast, sure it's loads of fun to wander around great twisty roads and just enjoy them but there's a great feeling of accomplishment when you're storming across the map. I don't think your schedule is overly ambitious and I know in the past I've done longer miles in less time and still felt great about it. If it's what works for your schedule go for it.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 27, 2013

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
These guys are right, 500+ mile rides SUCK. Scenery can make a bit of difference, and so can the anticipation of seeing what you want to see ... but it wears you down. It is real work. At the end of the day, you'll feel like a real man ... a worn out man.

I totally understand time limits, etc. It's hard to get time off from work or school, but seriously it's worth the two or three extra days, riding maybe 250 or 300 miles, pulling into a hotel, and relaxing, maybe watch a little TV. Taking it a little easy will make your trip unbelievably more enjoyable.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like I've been talked out of that trip for the time being then. I already had a Natchez Trace trip planned for April, and a Deals Gap trip planned for late May. I'll do those two first and re-evaluate from there. I still really, really want to see Colorado, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scouting out the area for possible future relocation. Maybe I'll just take my Corvette for that trip instead of the bike.

Thanks for the advice guys/gals.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

DJCobol posted:

Sounds like I've been talked out of that trip for the time being then. I already had a Natchez Trace trip planned for April, and a Deals Gap trip planned for late May. I'll do those two first and re-evaluate from there. I still really, really want to see Colorado, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scouting out the area for possible future relocation. Maybe I'll just take my Corvette for that trip instead of the bike.

I wouldn't "talk you out" of it, because hell, it's a few thousand miles going west on a bike. I'd just say find a better route. Route 70 through Kansas/Missouri suuuuuuuuuuucks. It's straight, flat and boring. Real boring. As in, you can't see where the horizon ends boring. I suppose on a big cruiser/bagger/goldwing type bike it could be fun, but it'd get real old on an SV's riding position I'd think. 600 miles of superslab on a sporty riding position wouldn't be tons o' fun.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
All I got to say that riding to the top of Pike's Peak made slabbing across kansas worth it. I say go for it.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

DJCobol posted:

I don't think they're talking you out of it, but just saying it's going to be boring as gently caress. Reroute and roll through AR/OK then up. There are some great roads/scenery in AR, MO, and OK. Roll through OK which will be boring as gently caress to New Mexico and ride there some too. Just saying all that flat straight as poo poo riding would drive me absolutely bonkers insane.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This thread is making me love living in Colorado. Hopefully I'll be posting some of my own trips here soon, especially some of that pretty stuff off the 285.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.

n8r posted:

The best part of this discussion so far is nSap claiming there are any fitness benefits to disc golf.

Frolf is srs bizness.

Back on topic, I'm getting really excited to go motorcycle camping this spring. I've got soft saddlebags and that's about it for luggage. Where are people fitting their tents? Right now my best idea is just bungeeing it down to the rear seat...

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
We already went out camping out on Cape Cod last weekend (Easter) and some friends joined us. It was a bit chilly at night but we got to try out our new down sleeping bags.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ernie Luckman posted:

Frolf is srs bizness.

Back on topic, I'm getting really excited to go motorcycle camping this spring. I've got soft saddlebags and that's about it for luggage. Where are people fitting their tents? Right now my best idea is just bungeeing it down to the rear seat...

Get a hammock, I was able to camp for 4 days with a single (albeit overstuffed) backpack.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008
Here's one I'm planning to do with my buddy sometime between mid-May and mid-June around Georgian Bay in Ontario, Canada...

Route roughly mapped out...

Google Maps link here

I will be riding a 2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, and my friend will be on a 2003 Honda CBR600RR. I suspect we will both be moderately uncomfortable in completely different ways. The trip has been modified slightly from the original picture there to include some more interesting roads where available, and is now actually 19 hours of riding time + 2 hours on a ferry from Manitoulin Island to Tobermory, 21 hours and 1300 kilometers total. We plan to do this in 4 days, staying one night in Muskoka at a camp, another in Sudbury at a friend's house, and another camping somewhere on Manitoulin Island. My friend is limited to his ridiculous camping backpack + a sleeping bag attached to his passenger seat, and I will be stuck with most of our stuff in the saddlebags on my Triumph + a backpack and other poo poo attached to my seat. I was thinking 5-10L of fuel wouldn't be a terrible idea if we have room/weight allowance for it. Both bikes will have USB chargers installed and handlebar mounted iPhones run through headphones for music, GPS commands and communication. I have a "3 person" backpacking tent that I will be bringing, along with such frivolous items as a small Egyptian hookah, a Bose iPod dock, and a Ruger 10/22 Takedown rifle (we're 20 years old, give us a break).

Despite having been just about everywhere in the United States I have never been up that way in my own province, everything I hear seems to indicate that it is absolutely incredible and it's really a shame that we haven't done this sooner given that it's practically right in our back yard. We haven't set an exact date to do this yet, rather we will try to be ready to go mid-May when the ferry starts running and just wait for a weekend that has good weather forecasted and pick up and leave when the time is right.

I have read this entire thread and have seen lots of great advice, and any more pertaining to this trip specifically would be great as this is our first ride over about 4 hours in length. We are unsure of which order we want to do our route in, whether to go across to Manitoulin Island the first day and stay there or go up the east side first and stay there on the way back. Any suggestions pertaining to what we are missing or may be overlooking would be great.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ernie Luckman posted:

Frolf is srs bizness.

I could fit my tent in a pannier, but I like to keep clothes and small loose stuff contained in them. Tent usually gets strapped on the seat.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ernie Luckman posted:

Frolf is srs bizness.

From before the frolf chat: What my frolf training regiment goes towards:

nsaP posted:

I always forget to take pictures of actual camping and the like, oh well.

Here she is all loaded up and ready to go:

Here's when I learned to take your toolkit out of it's spot under the seat and make it easily accessible during a trip, one of the screws holding in my speedo had worked it's way back out and my speedo was dangling. Luckily I didn't lose anything on the road and it just cost me time.

Nice day:

It was a bit bulky but no problem. All of the stuff on the back was bungee'd together as 1 mass before I strapped it down to the bike.

edit2: Forgot to mention I'm using these straps http://www.rokstraps.com/moto.html After just using bungees my first time these are great. Quick and easy to use and pretty cheap. I considered just making my own but you can't match their quality for the cost.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 9, 2013

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Get a hammock, I was able to camp for 4 days with a single (albeit overstuffed) backpack.

Oh man, I got my first hammock last week and can't wait to try it out camping.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've been looking at getting a lightweight hammock. Obviously and ideally it should take as little space as possible when rolled up. Suggestions?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

http://hennessyhammock.com/

Anything by these guys is pretty well rated. My friend has one and swears by it, and they're very well built.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hennessy seems to be the top brand for a camping hammock, I haven't tried one yet though.

I've been using a Eagle Nest Outfitters (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/) two person for 5 or so years and it has held up well and works great.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
The Hennessy works really well as a complete hammock camping system, but I found my friend's ENO doublenest to be far more comfortable than my Hennessy expedition. I think the larger Hennessy explorer model might be better.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hennessy seems to be the top brand for a camping hammock, I haven't tried one yet though.

I've been using a Eagle Nest Outfitters (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/) two person for 5 or so years and it has held up well and works great.

Another vote here for ENO. They have a full system as well, a rain fly and bug net you can buy. I own 2 bug nets, but I use a tarp instead of a rain fly. I can do a lot more with a tarp and I like dual purpose/use gear.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

FYI: Once you add a bugnet + fly + straps the ENO gets fairly bulky compared to the Hennessy system (and costs more). The ENO is super comfy, but they need to make a model with an integrated bugnet.

Coincidentally, I sold my Hennessy today :) I've a Warbonnet Blackbird on the way to replace it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

One word of warning about hammocks... They are great for backcountry wilderness camping where you're not likely to suffer from a lack of trees, and where even ground for a tent can come at a premium, but in a somewhere like a desert, or a campground, depending on the site you get, you might struggle to find two posts to string one across. You have to mount the ropes quite high, so if you're thinking of using your bike as one of your supports, that probably isn't going to work.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Linedance posted:

One word of warning about hammocks... They are great for backcountry wilderness camping where you're not likely to suffer from a lack of trees, and where even ground for a tent can come at a premium, but in a somewhere like a desert, or a campground, depending on the site you get, you might struggle to find two posts to string one across. You have to mount the ropes quite high, so if you're thinking of using your bike as one of your supports, that probably isn't going to work.

Does anyone make a somewhat compact/lightweight hammock stand? I did the math with catenary curves and a free-body diagram once, and you CAN do it with a couple of 5' poles driven halfway into the ground at the right angle, but a pre-made stand thingy would probably work better.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Does anyone make a somewhat compact/lightweight hammock stand? I did the math with catenary curves and a free-body diagram once, and you CAN do it with a couple of 5' poles driven halfway into the ground at the right angle, but a pre-made stand thingy would probably work better.

If you've got to carry around an external frame or cantilevered stand or something that's robust enough to support your weight, you might as well just use a tent.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Camp near trees and don't worry about carrying around big poles and stands. Also get some long straps so you don't need trees/posts 10' or whatever apart. I think I have 10' straps so as long as there are two trees within 30' of each other I'm set.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's not particularly impressive when you consider that the rest of the park was dominated by professional campers in massive fifth wheel trailers larger than my apartment, but it still felt nice to get out of the city for an evening. AND, I spent more time on a dirt road than I have since breaking my leg!

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Which campground was that? I saw a dude on a KLR this week when I was camping.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Safety Dance posted:

It's not particularly impressive when you consider that the rest of the park was dominated by professional campers in massive fifth wheel trailers larger than my apartment, but it still felt nice to get out of the city for an evening. AND, I spent more time on a dirt road than I have since breaking my leg!

Buy a camping hammock. So much smaller, cheaper, and light than lugging a bag, pad, and tent. I'd have called myself an idiot a year back for suggesting it, but they're pretty much the best thing ever after experiencing them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

xd posted:

Which campground was that? I saw a dude on a KLR this week when I was camping.

Indian Springs State Park, Flovilla Ga. I was there last night.

Bixington posted:

Buy a camping hammock. So much smaller, cheaper, and light than lugging a bag, pad, and tent. I'd have called myself an idiot a year back for suggesting it, but they're pretty much the best thing ever after experiencing them.

Maaybee.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

I was hammock camping at Cooper's Creek near Suches, GA on Sunday night. Saw the KLR drive by later in the day.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

xd posted:

I was hammock camping at Cooper's Creek near Suches, GA on Sunday night. Saw the KLR drive by later in the day.

Negatory my brother. Musta been some other dude or dudette with impeccable taste.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

xd posted:

I'm thinking of buying a Hennessy or something similar for camping this year. Never used one though, so I have some questions:

If you buy long straps, does that mean you're screwed in the trees are close together?

What is the "insulation" bits they sell as extras? Wouldn't you just bring a sleeping bag into the hammock? I don't get how it would be used.

Generally, how are they as a replacement for tents?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Backov posted:

I'm thinking of buying a Hennessy or something similar for camping this year. Never used one though, so I have some questions:

If you buy long straps, does that mean you're screwed in the trees are close together?

What is the "insulation" bits they sell as extras? Wouldn't you just bring a sleeping bag into the hammock? I don't get how it would be used.

Depending on the straps, you can hook the carabiner anywhere on the length. The straps are usually a long piece of webbing that you choker around the trees, and there are loops along the whole strap.

Insulation is required in a hammock just like everything else. When you lie down in a sleeping bag, you crush the bottom of the bag and lose all your warmth. Pads on the ground aren't really for comfort, they're for insulation. Same story when you're in a hammock. The bag's poof is what makes you warm, lose the poof when you lie down and you need to recreate an airgap with a foam pad or blow up pad. Not as big a deal in summer, but it's still wise to keep one if it's going to be getting cold.

They're awesome.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

quote:

Not really, you just have extra length for when you need it to go around larger trees. Also, if you decide to buy a Hennessy, get the larger EXPLORER model and not the smaller EXPEDITION model.

quote:

If you only use a sleeping bag, the insulation underneath you will be fully compressed and it will not insulate you very well. When it's below 70 degrees, in general you'll want something underneath you at night. During the summer I just sleep on top of my sleeping bag. Right now, it's a bit cooler, so I tend to use a slightly deflated thermarest inflatable pad under me along with these to cover my shoulders and hips. You also see vendors selling things like "under quilts" and "top quilts". Those were created so you can sleep with nothing between you and the hammock and still be warm.

quote:

For me, a hammock allows me to sleep outside more comfortably than on the ground. Tents afford you more privacy, but the openness of the hammock is kind of cool. Here's a good article that explains it better than I can here.

EFB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

xd posted:

Not really, you just have extra length for when you need it to go around larger trees. Also, if you decide to buy a Hennessy, get the larger EXPLORER model and not the smaller EXPEDITION model.

I'm curious as to the recommendation to go for the larger models? I have the ultralight backpacker as a 1 man tent alternative and find it works wonderfully.

• Locked thread