Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Can someone recommend a decent mid weight down sleeping bag and good ground pad that pack pretty small? Like normal I'm waiting till the last minute to get things ready for my trip to Colorado coming up in 2 weeks...

I have a giant loop coyote bag that will be going on my KTM 690 so space is somewhat at a premium. Between the coyote, a small tankbag, and my kreiga r35 I have a fair amount of space but bulky items are a pain. I've considered getting the bigger great basin bag but think money would be better spent on quality camping gear that fits in my current bag...

PS if anyone has good recommendations for routes it'd be appreciated :). Got a decent amount of time off this go around so my goal of finally seeing southwest Colorado will finally be realized! I'll be in golden Friday july 12 through 14 for a friend's wedding, then have the 15th-19th to mess around. Other than riding Mt. Evans again (this time to the summit! Road was closed last time I was there only made it to the lake) and Pike's peak, my only other destination is US550... And a fun way to get down there and back.

Can't wait to see mountains again! gently caress iowa :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

needknees posted:

PS if anyone has good recommendations for routes it'd be appreciated :). Got a decent amount of time off this go around so my goal of finally seeing southwest Colorado will finally be realized! I'll be in golden Friday july 12 through 14 for a friend's wedding, then have the 15th-19th to mess around. Other than riding Mt. Evans again (this time to the summit! Road was closed last time I was there only made it to the lake) and Pike's peak, my only other destination is US550... And a fun way to get down there and back.

When I was down there, 160 to Pagosa Springs and 84 to Chama, NM was a really nice ride. I wanted to do the 10,000ft passes on hwy 17 north out of Chama but it would have taken us way off our route.

Watch out for elk.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

needknees posted:

Can someone recommend a decent mid weight down sleeping bag and good ground pad that pack pretty small? Like normal I'm waiting till the last minute to get things ready for my trip to Colorado coming up in 2 weeks...

I have a giant loop coyote bag that will be going on my KTM 690 so space is somewhat at a premium. Between the coyote, a small tankbag, and my kreiga r35 I have a fair amount of space but bulky items are a pain. I've considered getting the bigger great basin bag but think money would be better spent on quality camping gear that fits in my current bag...

I use one of the REI cat's meow bags and it works great. I prefer down to synthetic fill personally, but modern synthetics aren't bad, just make sure you don't store it rolled tight or you'll compress the filling and it will be worthless.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Just got back from two weeks of riding and camping all over Vermont. In case you're unaware, Vermont has lots of really nice dirt roads and there's a great, easy, mostly north/south route known as the Puppy Dog (http://vtbmwmov.org/rides/). We mostly get around using that and anything else we can find in between.

Full camp setup with tarp (it was rainy most of the time)

Bikes loaded with firewood:

My bike carrying lots of stuff:

I don't recommend this road (Tabor, I believe) for a fully loaded "big" bike:

Also made friends with this guy:

needknees posted:

I can't really recommend a bag because one of our requirements in that they are rectangular (not mummy bags) and can zip together, but the pads we use are the Exped SynMat UL 7 which have been awesome. They pack small, inflate quickly, and are dead comfortable and warm. They are expensive but worth it IMO.

cheesebot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 1, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I got this from amazon cause it was cheap with a compression sack: http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-...ds=sleeping+bag

I've used it a few times and it gets the job done but I wouldn't rave about it. It compresses down pretty small. I just got an one of those thermarest pads which isn't too compact, but I didn't really mind.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Seconding Exped mats. I have a downmat, which is the same thing but with down insulation. Very high quality.

For sleeping bags, what sort of temp range are you looking for? Lafuma is an overlooked brand that's affordable. I have a 40(!) degree bag from them that packs down to the size of a large grapefruit.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 1, 2013

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Summer in the mountains so 30-40* bag would be ideal if maybe a little on the warm side. Mainly concerned with how well it packs down.

Will take a look at the exped mats, thanks!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Consider getting a liner. I've got 2 silk liners, one for me and the other for my wife. If it's hot you can unzip the bag and just lay in the liner. If it's cold the silk liner will add 5-10 degree's to the bag.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Dig a hole and fill it with the rocks you've heated in the fire. Cover said rocks with a good layer of dirt/sand and sleep on top of that if it's cold. It's great when on the beach.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

needknees posted:

Here's a Lafuma for about 180 it's 600 fill and I have another lafuma bag that's very similar to it, nice material doesn't leak down, and has taken loads of abuse, packs down to about a softball and a half.
http://www.backcountry.com/lafuma-lightway-35-sleeping-bag-35-degree-down

This Stoic has a much finer down, so it will compress further and have more loft when expanded. Higher loft bags like this will take a little more effort to shove into spaces but they will pack down nice and small.
http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-somnus-sz-30-sleeping-bag-30-degree-down?skuId=SIC0302-CHA-REG

Of the two I'd likely opt for the stoic, or if you're a warm sleeeper and packability is your main concern grab a Marmot Always Summer or Atom.
http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-always-summer-sleeping-bag-45-degree-down

When you pack the sleeping bag just stuff in in wherever you're putting it don't put it in the stuff sack as those actually eat up a fair bit of space.

550, and the loop going from Ouray to Durango to Lizard Head Pass is great. There's nice camping at Mancos State Park (near Mancos) and Mancos itself is a nice chill town with a good steakhouse and natural foods grocery store. Cool cafe south of the 160 highway junction as well.

The ride through Mesa Verde National Park is great with big elevation changes and cool mesa riding.

Silver Dollar Road is an easy dirt road through aspens and low valleys http://www.unpavedroadslesstraveled.com/2010/10/last-dollar-road-near-telluride.html

If you're running 90/10 tires and feel confident Cinnamon Pass is really pretty easy if it's dry and a great route from Silverton to Lake City. If nothing else head up to Animus Forks near silverton, it's a gravel road but minivans don't have any trouble with it. If you find the going hard turn around you're likely on the wrong road.

The switchbacks up to Bridal Veil Falls near Telluride are cool and fun, also gravel.

On your way there camping along Blue Mesa Lake is fun or take the right hand turn for an easy dirt road up through aspens to Rainbow Lake for more remote camping but great stars.

Old Monarch Pass and Marshall Pass are also easy graded gravel roads that make for fun and different mountain crossings, but paved Monarch pass has great pavement and loads of fun if there's not much traffic.

Expect a thunderstorm everyday at 3pm.

Here's a fun way to go from Denver to 550 with pavement and easy gravel mixed in:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...a=1,2,3&t=m&z=9

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bail to Colorado on Wednesday for tent campin' and motorcyclin'.

What's the one little thing I'm forgetting?

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

thylacine posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bail to Colorado on Wednesday for tent campin' and motorcyclin'.

Tylenol and your prescription meds, if any.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

thylacine posted:

If you're like me, you're forgetting something to use to remove hot things from the camp stove.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

If you're like me, you're forgetting something to use to remove hot things from the camp stove.

Like a glove of some sort? Made of leather?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Linedance posted:

Like a glove of some sort? Made of leather?

I never thought of this. I used to use motorcycle gloves to remove hot things from the oven in college, but the first couple of times I went camping, I had to dig and find vice grips at the last minute after the hot thing was already hot.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
Is traveling with both camping equipment and a passenger on one bike at all possible? Longer trips are probably out of the question, but what about weekend trips? We can pack light, but still need the basic necessities. For what its worth, this would be on a KLR650.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Does your partner mind wearing a backpack? They make some pretty large tank bags and there are even tank panniers. You should be able to get everything you need for a weekend on there. Just don't overdo it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also if you have hardcases, bungie stuff onto the tops of them if possible.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

thylacine posted:

If you're going to be here over the weekend make sure you bring your rain gear.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
So ... heading out to the Yellowstone region this Saturday (from Minnesota). We've been blessed with 95+ degree weather, and plenty of humidity ... weather people say that's gonna go away sometime Thursday night / Friday morning, so yay.

I'm keeping it to 400 miles or less per day. I'm over 50 and have some health issues, so keeping the mileage lower will help.

It's been 3 years since my last motorcycle camping trip. I can hardly wait.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I just bought a DRZ a couple weeks ago, and I've been itching to do some bike camping for a long time. I don't have a good tent anymore, so I either need to buy another or get a camping hammock. Any reasons not to just go with the hammock?

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Yerok posted:

So I just bought a DRZ a couple weeks ago, and I've been itching to do some bike camping for a long time. I don't have a good tent anymore, so I either need to buy another or get a camping hammock. Any reasons not to just go with the hammock?

Personal preference, really. While a camping hammock to me is the ideal way to motorcycle camp, you might find out you just aren't a hammock guy. For reference I am 6'2" and around 200 hard-charging lb's and I am extremely comfortable in my Hennessey expedition.

Advantages:
Size when packed, weight
no poles!
easy 5 min setup
set it up basically anywhere, no need for flat open space
no worries about water (get a better rainfly if you are going to be in heavy rain)
sleep under the stars on clear nights
can be used as a chair or storm shelter in a pinch

Disadvantages:
It's not a flat sleeping surface (preference)
Somewhat trickier if you are a side or front sleeper
takes experience and the right gear in cold weather (cold air from below you)
some might find it claustrophobic
requires trees or poles

You'll definitely want to try before you buy, and do some testing in your backyard in cooler weather.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Ready for another weekend of camping!

This one's gonna be a scorcha! 95F today so we'll see how it goes over the weekend. We're going to be in Pachaug State Forest on the RI/CT border for an ADV Camp 'N' Ride. I'm not bring my dual sport bike this time because I haven't had time to do any post-vacation maintenance on it yet, so I'll just do some street riding.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

This is what a KLR without side bags or racks and too much stuff on it looks like. Tent is lashed to the far side of the top box, you can see the blue rear end end of it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'll be heading to Ocean Shores for some beach camping in a few weeks. Still wondering if I should take her for a romp in the sand.

DJ_Ferret posted:

This is what a KLR without side bags or racks and too much stuff on it looks like. Tent is lashed to the far side of the top box, you can see the blue rear end end of it.

Hell yes :getin:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
For a budget of about $3500, what are some good bikes to use that are comfortable on the road, but can go down trails, fireroads, etc, to get to remote camping sites?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Are you strong or weak? If you're going to remote campsites, you might want to have a bike that you can handle and lift off the ground.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Either way, the answer is KLR650.

Strong like Oxford Comma

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Safety Dance posted:

Having just helped a friend fix one and ride the poo poo out of it for a day, this statement is objectively true.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Safety Dance posted:

Strong like Oxford Comma

I've also been told a DRZ 400 is good. What's the diff between those two bikes?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oxford Comma posted:

I've also been told a DRZ 400 is good. What's the diff between those two bikes?

The DRZ is lighter and more nimble off road but less comfortable on the highway is pretty much what it boils down to.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If I was looking to get into motorcycle camping around Austin, TX would y'all recommend a dirtbike or a dual-sport?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Really depends on what your idea of "motorcycle camping" is.

If you're going to be camping around here, I imagine you will likely be doing some 55mph+ street sections between state parks, so you'll probably want a dual sport like a KLR650 or a DRZ400. If you want to do exclusively off-road, single track style riding to remote campsites, and you're okay with trailering your dirtbike until you get to the riding area, then a dirtbike might be better, but that's probably not the case.

So yes, get a KLR650 or a DRZ400. Get it plated, and enjoy the kickass camping in the Hill Country.

But for the love of Christ wait until late September or some such. It's loving hot right now.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Korwen posted:

Really depends on what your idea of "motorcycle camping" is.

If you're going to be camping around here, I imagine you will likely be doing some 55mph+ street sections between state parks, so you'll probably want a dual sport like a KLR650 or a DRZ400. If you want to do exclusively off-road, single track style riding to remote campsites, and you're okay with trailering your dirtbike until you get to the riding area, then a dirtbike might be better, but that's probably not the case.

So yes, get a KLR650 or a DRZ400. Get it plated, and enjoy the kickass camping in the Hill Country.

But for the love of Christ wait until late September or some such. It's loving hot right now.

Oh yeah no, that was definitely my plan. I'll look at those two. I can't really put a trailer on my car so just taking the bike would be ideal. I stepped outside a minute ago, went "NOPE" and immediately came back inside. I'm not leaving the house until I have to go to work now.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

mmmmmmm, moto-camping.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Those hammocks own. I really gotta get one.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Are mosquitoes no problem where you camped, or did you apply a copious amount of bug repellent before bed?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

xd posted:

Are mosquitoes no problem where you camped, or did you apply a copious amount of bug repellent before bed?

My Eagle nest outfitters hammock has an optional bug net. I think Hennesy hammocks do too.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

xd posted:

Actually they were horrendous. Bug repellent was useless against them :D

My hammock is a cheapie with no built-in or optional bug net. Not shown in pics but used a home made net which was made from the sides of a screen tent, suspended over the hammock by a rope ridgeline.

<edit> actually you can sorta see it in the last pic, it hangs down almost to the ground

Other guy had a nice high dollar Henessey with built in net, but he had more mosquito problems than I did, somehow they ended up *inside* the net and he could not get them out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

apatite posted:

Actually they were horrendous. Bug repellent was useless against them :D

My hammock is a cheapie with no built-in or optional bug net. Not shown in pics but used a home made net which was made from the sides of a screen tent, suspended over the hammock by a rope ridgeline.

<edit> actually you can sorta see it in the last pic, it hangs down almost to the ground

Other guy had a nice high dollar Henessey with built in net, but he had more mosquito problems than I did, somehow they ended up *inside* the net and he could not get them out!

The ENO bugnet is pretty much universal, check it out: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/BN001.html

• Locked thread