Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
This is my camping solution, I use it instead of a tent: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/double-nest-hammock.html

I'm partial to camping where there are tree's which is why this works wonderfully for me. A single double nest will sleep 2 people or a person and a dog. It takes nothing to fold up and folds into an attached bag so you never have to worry about losing it. I've folded it in terrible ways and it always fits, it has a compression strap for the bag so it fits in like a 4x4x3" space. They make bugnets and rainfly's for them, I've never used a rainfly (I use a tarp) but the bugnet is *amazing*. If you get one get the extra big slap straps (slap straps pro) and you can set it up with tree's as far as 20' apart. Bugnet + hammock + slapstraps are under 1lb combined. Add in a tarp a few cheap plastic tent stakes and some nylon cord and you have an all weather solution that's compact, lightweight and bug-proof. I've used this set up in pouring rain with 40 mph winds and stayed high and dry all night.

(protip: To hang the tarp I run a line between the two tree's my hammock is attached to and drape the tarp over it. Stake the tarp down at the corners and tie both sides off to the tree and you're all set. You can hang your shoes off a carabiner on the line you used for your tarp and you can de-shoe/re-shoe while sitting off the ground so you never get your socks/feet dirty and you never lose your shoes.)

Sorry desert dwellers, this'll only work where there are tree's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

orthod0ks posted:

I've been out a couple times, though never alone. Last year we camped in the Monongahela with 8 of us. We had a chase car, but I'm all about getting what I need on my bike. We sort of go all out, so last year we packed a cooler of meat, but we may not have the luxury of a car this year. We'll probably buy our food locally. We do prefer to cook over the campfire than eat at restaurants, but we do it right. Last year we had filet mignon one night. You can cook just about anything with a cast iron pan and a campfire.

That was my setup. I have an over packing issue that I'll be working on this year. I also need a smaller sleeping bag (the white bag). I've since replaced my ground pad with a smaller (and more comfortable) one. Trash bags go a long way for water proofiness. I'll probably be adding a venture rack this year to give me some more room. I find myself fighting all my stuff for seat space on the ride.

Edit: Can someone recommend a reasonably priced compactly packed sleeping bag? I don't like mummy bags, and I don't camp in overly cold weather, though I wouldn't mind the option if the bag can handle it.

If you can find a surplus store you can bags really cheap and they work well. Unfortunately they are fairly heavy for what they are.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
They also make silk sleeping bag liners that are phenomenal! keeps you from having to wash your bag as often as well.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'd ride that like a cheap Thai hooker. I love riding bikes with different configurations. It's just really important to take it a *lot* slower because you're initial reaction to an emergency will probably be the wrong one.

On topic: I picked up a Garmin GPSMAP 76CX from West Marine for $150 last weekend and got my first chance to ride with it today. I used a RAM mount to attach it to the bike and it's just phenomenal. I don't have a lot of experience with GPS units but it was a big help today.

I found a new road but wasn't sure I had the gas so I distance checked it on the GPS and found it came out near a small town with a gas station. The road seems to have been built for the Drz. It was rough and potholed old tarmac that curved in between valleys, and it was bitchin! I found that the gps gave me enough lead to see the upcoming twisty's from the straights and was really detailed. There are some nifty dirt trails up in there I'll have to go check out when I get my Dirt wheels.

I'm going to map and log the GPS tracks for some of the local roads around me and I'll make them available if anyone ever wants them. Coastal Central CA has a lot of nice roads to ride. This will hopefully include off road trails and campsites as well.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

devians posted:

I have a tomtom rider v2, its very useful. I'd like to upgrade it but the gps market for bikes is a bit of a miasma, not really sure which way to jump.

I went to ADV Rider and asked, they were really helpful. This model will do turn by turn I think, but I got it mostly for trail riding. The mounting hardware can be had for under $40 from RAM and it's nice stuff. Use the Ram website for the part #'s and just Google shop them for 1/4 the price.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Check out MotionX too, it's pretty cool. I was using it before I got my actual GPS.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Safety Dance posted:

Their legs spread wider, kinda like the outriggers on a tri-hull catamaran.

Also they wear roller blades.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'm hoping to go camping with a friend (and goon here) next month and we're getting close to having everything ready. Last on the list I am not 100% yet on choices is the sleeping bag. I want to start with something cheap first since I'm not 100% if this is for me and 2nd I live in California so it rarely drops into the super cold temps so a lightweight cheap bag isn't a horrible option. Here's my thought:

http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-Adventurer-Ultra-Compactable-Sleeping/dp/B001TR7QZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330465081&sr=8-1
Its a 40 dollar bag which is cheap as hell, but its very small form factor too. Advertises it goes down to 30 degrees, but I don't even want to camp when it gets that cold so I think it will work well.

Tent I am thinking this one, its inexpensive and the poles are short enough they fit into my tailbag so I don't need to strap it anywhere; I can stow it in a bag.
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

Finally so this isn't just a blog post here is a cool article I found on advrider, its about "budget traveling" but its more about "smart" traveling. He does things on a bicycle so not everything is 100% ironclad (I don't care if something is heavy as long as it fits in a bag/I can strap it down) but it is a fun read. Not too sure about camping near a cemetery though, I've seen too many movies. :)
https://umdrive.memphis.edu/jzelazny/public/BudgetTravel.pdf

Sleeping bags: Check out these from REI's closeout section, they are a little bit more expensive ($20) but look like they are a bit higher quality. Weather is unpredictable as are roads, just because you wouldn't camp when you know it's going to be 30f out doesn't mean you cant get stuck camping when its 30f or colder. In a bad situation having a sleeping bag that will keep you warm at sub-freezing temperatures can be a literal life saver.

This one is .6 lbs heavier but is safe for 20f temps: http://www.rei.com/product/812678/alps-mountaineering-clearwater-20-sleeping-bag-regular-special-buy

This one is .7 lbs heavier and rated for the same temps. I have an older Aleutian though and it has served me well for the past 3 years with 20-30 camping trips a year. http://www.rei.com/product/835879/the-north-face-aleutian-20-sleeping-bag-2011-closeout

That tent is excellent for the price, I have an older REI model and it's held up really well. Where in Cali are you? I'm on the central coast and I camp out almost every other weekend, we should do a ride sometime.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

orthod0ks posted:

I mentioned picking up a compression sack for my garage sale sleeping bag. It's decent, but it rolls to the size of a dishwasher. My GIRLFRIEND said that that would mess up the back because it would remove the air pockets, and it's the air pockets that keep you warm. I'd never heard that. Just wondering if there's any truth to it?

The way sleeping bags work is the stuffing inside the bag expands to create an air pocket that insulates you from the outside air. You can compress your bag without any concerns when traveling but don't leave it in the compression bag when it's not packed for a trip. If you do it will be useless in a week or so depending on how well it's made. I destroyed a good sleeping bag when I was a kid by leaving it compressed over the winter.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

orthod0ks posted:

Awesome, thanks. I still intend to pick up a down sleeping bag when I find a reasonably priced rectangular one, but the old one will do in the mean time.

Here's a synthetic taffeta rectangle bag from REI certified to 20f. Not a bad price. I don't know your season/climate but watch REI's closeout outlet online, some screaming deals can be had there from time to time.
http://www.rei.com/product/835880/the-north-face-dolomite-20-sleeping-bag-2011-closeout

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I've got a Kelty, a Big Agnes and a Cat's meow from REI. One thing all of them have is a silk liner. I REALLY like having the silk liner inside the bag, it keeps you warmer when it's cold and stays cooler when it's hot. It also allows you to open the sleeping bag completely and still have a cover over you. In a pinch they can be used as a filter as well.

The big Agnes bag gets used by my buddy when he camps with us. He's 6' 1" and around 235. He fits in it fine, seems comfy and has never complained of being hot/cold. I sleep face down a and on my side a good bit, once you get used to a mummy bag you'll never go back. Add in a hammock and it feels like you're being held and rocked to sleep. (I don't use tents, just hammocks and lightweight bivvies)

Edit: I'll be going out for my first camping trip of the year next weekend hopefully. It's my intention to try and hit every campground in Cali over the next 5 years or so. I go out weekly to every other week, if anybody is ever rolling through the central coast feel free to get in touch with me. I know a lot of good off the beaten path spots.

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 29, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I have different styles of camping that I do. Most of the time I'm going for state parks/known campgrounds.

Sometimes though I want to explore. A lot of offroad trails will have smaller single tracks leading away that were cut by locals or aren't part of the "official" trail. I enjoy exploring these a lot and sometimes they lead to networks of backwoods trails. If I'm exploring these sometimes I will stealth camp. I aim to get fairly deep in the woods at least out of sight of any roads.

Another way to find good camping spots is to follow creeks/streams/rivers. A lot of time you can find good clearing that others have used before to camp in. Beware of hobo's though as they also do this, most are nice/cool people but some are batshit crazy. Keep your ride within easy reach and your keys on you @ all times. Use minimal gear when possible and be prepared to bolt/defend yourself if needed.

I've only had 1 nasty encounter when travelling off the beaten path and it was only verbal, I was camping in some bum's spot apparently. It ended up all being good in the end after a beer or two and some fishing in the river. I actually ended up giving him my good telescopic rod/reel because he pretty much lived there and had jack squat to his name.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'll have to wait a while, I burned all my vacation time around xmas. My great Grandma had a stroke... :(

I'm game for next year though and can probably do a week and a half to two week trip. Company would be awesome if someone wanted to join in or meet along the way.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Annnnd now I'm sad that I'm in Illinois.

Just now?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Alright I think I have all the camping bits I need.

I ended up with a 3 person tent since it was a handmedown and free>buy until I decide this is truly something I'll be doing all the time. Sleeping bag also handled, its a bit big but I can shove it into a saddlebag no problem with other stuff in there too.

Now that I'm ready to go, I'm not sure on where to go that has space available for my ~*~babby's first bike camping trip~*~. When I check state park websites you have to sign up to camp there which sort of kills the "on the spot" deciding to go one weekend. Is this really how its become that you cant just go camping spurr of the moment? :(

Anyways, I was checking this place out since it also doubles as something fun to do on the bike. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=405

Has anyone been there and camped? I assumed I should go there before its like 100 degrees in the summer.

Grab a compression sack for your sleeping bag and it will cut down on the bulk. If you get a decent sized one you may even be able to compress your tent and sleeping bag together.

Something like this: http://www.rei.com/product/766677/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-compression-sack

DO NOT leave the bag in the compression sack after your trip it MUST taken out or it will lose it's warmth when the down fully compresses.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ernie Luckman posted:

Frolf is srs bizness.

Back on topic, I'm getting really excited to go motorcycle camping this spring. I've got soft saddlebags and that's about it for luggage. Where are people fitting their tents? Right now my best idea is just bungeeing it down to the rear seat...

Get a hammock, I was able to camp for 4 days with a single (albeit overstuffed) backpack.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hennessy seems to be the top brand for a camping hammock, I haven't tried one yet though.

I've been using a Eagle Nest Outfitters (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/) two person for 5 or so years and it has held up well and works great.

Another vote here for ENO. They have a full system as well, a rain fly and bug net you can buy. I own 2 bug nets, but I use a tarp instead of a rain fly. I can do a lot more with a tarp and I like dual purpose/use gear.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Just FYI, if you're coming down highway 1 and need a place to crash I'm Like 2 miles from Morro bay. I don't have spare beds, but you're welcome to some floorspace in the garage.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

needknees posted:

Can someone recommend a decent mid weight down sleeping bag and good ground pad that pack pretty small? Like normal I'm waiting till the last minute to get things ready for my trip to Colorado coming up in 2 weeks...

I have a giant loop coyote bag that will be going on my KTM 690 so space is somewhat at a premium. Between the coyote, a small tankbag, and my kreiga r35 I have a fair amount of space but bulky items are a pain. I've considered getting the bigger great basin bag but think money would be better spent on quality camping gear that fits in my current bag...

PS if anyone has good recommendations for routes it'd be appreciated :). Got a decent amount of time off this go around so my goal of finally seeing southwest Colorado will finally be realized! I'll be in golden Friday july 12 through 14 for a friend's wedding, then have the 15th-19th to mess around. Other than riding Mt. Evans again (this time to the summit! Road was closed last time I was there only made it to the lake) and Pike's peak, my only other destination is US550... And a fun way to get down there and back.

Can't wait to see mountains again! gently caress iowa :suicide:

I use one of the REI cat's meow bags and it works great. I prefer down to synthetic fill personally, but modern synthetics aren't bad, just make sure you don't store it rolled tight or you'll compress the filling and it will be worthless.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Consider getting a liner. I've got 2 silk liners, one for me and the other for my wife. If it's hot you can unzip the bag and just lay in the liner. If it's cold the silk liner will add 5-10 degree's to the bag.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

xd posted:

Are mosquitoes no problem where you camped, or did you apply a copious amount of bug repellent before bed?

My Eagle nest outfitters hammock has an optional bug net. I think Hennesy hammocks do too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

apatite posted:

Actually they were horrendous. Bug repellent was useless against them :D

My hammock is a cheapie with no built-in or optional bug net. Not shown in pics but used a home made net which was made from the sides of a screen tent, suspended over the hammock by a rope ridgeline.

<edit> actually you can sorta see it in the last pic, it hangs down almost to the ground

Other guy had a nice high dollar Henessey with built in net, but he had more mosquito problems than I did, somehow they ended up *inside* the net and he could not get them out!

The ENO bugnet is pretty much universal, check it out: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/BN001.html

• Locked thread