Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Any tips on packing stuff on the tail when you've got high-mount pipes?

On me and the wife's drz400sms, I made a little heat shield out of bent sheet metal to prevent the plastics from contacting the exhaust. It worked fine for the long trip, eventually it bent down enough that the bags contacted the exhaust and my wife ended up arriving to a clients house on fire. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Depending on how much my life is in order, I might be down too :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

God drat I get annoyed when I can't say one thing about working on my bike without 5 people offering unsolicited advice but now it seems you can't even say you like something without some schmuck going out of his way to "help" you to something you didn't want. CA is too nice.

Try gixxer.com, might be more your speed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

In case you haven't noticed, the vast majority of people on CA actually like the fact that we're generally helpful. In fact, you can see that very mentality taking place it directly above your post, before you jump in to defend someone who doesn't need or want to be defended! :buddy:

Speaking of people being helpful...

Do we have any people who do camping stuff on bikes that aren't street legal? Does anyone out there do singletrack runs out into the wilderness on dirtbikes? I figure there are quite a few different concerns with regards to the amount you can carry, crashability, etc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

When I did the California coast in 2011, it took a couple hours from SF to Monterey. From Monterey through the Big Sur area to our final stop near SLO, it was a long, slow, exhausting day. You can do it but get out early and be ready for a schlep if you're planning to get to LA in a day down 1.

I did Santa Barbara to Santa Cruz and back in a day via Highway 1. Took about 10 hours on the bike, (12 hours total, stopped for lunch in Santa Cruz and then turned around and went home) but I did no breaks and rolled most of that section of highway one at speed. Figure about 10 hours from SF to LA depending on how much speed you pull through the corners and what sort of riding/mental shape you're in. Get up at 6AM, get to the aquarium by 8 or 9, hang out there until 11 or so, and then boogie the rest of the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd say go out and run a couple of 250 mile days to see how you feel. Each person has a different tolerance for how many miles they can put in in a day. I'm tapped at 400 miles of freeway riding and don't want to even look at a bike anymore, but will happily do 800 mile days if it's primarily backroad with a couple hundred miles of freeway intermixed.

• Locked thread