Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

They ride bikes differently than the rest of us?

Their legs spread wider, kinda like the outriggers on a tri-hull catamaran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MotoMind posted:

You know there's stuff to see in CA too. Carrizo Plain:

Man, you jerks out west have it good. The southeast is all forest. Forest forest forest, everywhere a muddy forest.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Things I know I need:
1) More riding experience. Starting in March I will be doing 2-3 day trips around the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast area (Knoxville/Asheville, Atlanta, Memphis) to get more seat time.

Hit me up if you're planning on doing a trip down to Atlanta.

When I started riding (about four months of experience), I did a three night trip on US highways from Atlanta to Greensboro, NC. I managed about 300 miles max / day, although this was on a dinky old 250 and did not include miles I spent lost (these were pre-GPS days). I definitely pushed the limits of my bike and my own limits a good bit, and managed to crash once (started braking too late going into a turn, lost traction on some gravel).

When gear shopping, look for mesh gear especially if you're going to be riding in the summer. My first day was in really hot, heavy, black, rainproof pants, and I had sweat dripping down my ankles. I skipped the pants for the rest of the trip, and scraped my knee when I crashed (all tolled, it was a really gentle crash). Also look into getting a camelbak. Staying hydrated can be a life saver.

e: All I took was extra oil and chain lube, which I lost somewhere between Greensboro and Columbia.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 26, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's not particularly impressive when you consider that the rest of the park was dominated by professional campers in massive fifth wheel trailers larger than my apartment, but it still felt nice to get out of the city for an evening. AND, I spent more time on a dirt road than I have since breaking my leg!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

xd posted:

Which campground was that? I saw a dude on a KLR this week when I was camping.

Indian Springs State Park, Flovilla Ga. I was there last night.

Bixington posted:

Buy a camping hammock. So much smaller, cheaper, and light than lugging a bag, pad, and tent. I'd have called myself an idiot a year back for suggesting it, but they're pretty much the best thing ever after experiencing them.

Maaybee.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

xd posted:

I was hammock camping at Cooper's Creek near Suches, GA on Sunday night. Saw the KLR drive by later in the day.

Negatory my brother. Musta been some other dude or dudette with impeccable taste.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

tranten posted:

Woke up at 4:30am freezing. Got out of the hammock and saw it. Went and took a 45 minute shower and came back and snapped the pic. Ice all over the roads meant it wasn't the most fun day on the road. :-) but that's all part of the big-picture fun!!

What sleeping bag are you using? What are you using to insulate your bottom where it presses against the hammock?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

thylacine posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bail to Colorado on Wednesday for tent campin' and motorcyclin'.

What's the one little thing I'm forgetting?

If you're like me, you're forgetting something to use to remove hot things from the camp stove.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Linedance posted:

Like a glove of some sort? Made of leather?

I never thought of this. I used to use motorcycle gloves to remove hot things from the oven in college, but the first couple of times I went camping, I had to dig and find vice grips at the last minute after the hot thing was already hot.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Either way, the answer is KLR650.

Strong like Oxford Comma

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I know it isn't exactly a good answer, but I'd go to a used camping goods store and buy a used three-four person tent. That will be plenty of room for you, your girlfriend, and various helmets, boots, riding suits, and other gear that you don't want to leave outside. I've got an REI Taj 4 that I picked up lightly used for $140 or so. I wouldn't take it backpacking, but it's great for moto camping. Add to that two ~40 degree (F) sleeping bags in compression sacks and two sleeping pads. I've really liked the REI Camp Bed inflatable mattress pad in the past, but it doesn't exactly pack small.

As far as bags go, I don't know how cold it will be where you're planning to camp. 40 F is about 4 C, and a mummy bag rated for 40 degrees assumes you're wearing some clothes inside the bag (i.e. socks, long johns, maybe a fleece, hat, and gloves) and you're using the mummy bag properly (which my girlfriend absolutely refuses to do). I've been camping at just below freezing in a 30 degree bag wearing socks, pants, and a tee shirt and I was fine, but I was also using the mummy bag right.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

crowtribe posted:

Thanks!

What else should I be looking for in sleeping bags? I've read several posts saying that the down-filled ones compress to the size of a grapefruit and my conversion from F to C seems like it would fit our climate and our Euro-trip fairly well. When you say sleeping bags in compression sacks, is that a separate product to shrink (compress, dur) the sleeping bag down even smaller?

Camping product availability and range sucks a little in Australia, unfortunately, along with the same again for just about everything else bar meat and veg.

Down is king, but I've never had a problem with synthetic, especially if you've got a motorcycle and aren't struggling to make space in a backpack.

Most sleeping bags come with stuff sacks, which are 1-2 gallon sacks that you stuff the bag into. Neat, but they take up space. A compression sack is a stuff sack with straps built into it such that, once you've stuffed the sleeping bag in, you tighten the straps to compress the sleeping bag more. When you make camp, just pull your sleeping bag out and give it a few minutes to fluff up. They're typically sold separately, probably for no more than $10.

I thought Australians built a national image around camping. Waltzing Matilda and whatnot. Sucks that you can't find a good selection of products.

As far as luggage goes, check out Giant Loop bags, if you can get them down under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mileage depends on your comfort level. 400/day, especially on back roads, sounds very reasonable on the KLR, especially if you're not the kind of person who likes to sleep until noon and maybe hit the road around 2 (like me). You could probably stretch it a little bit, but you'd be doing some Interstate hauls and the KLR, in my experience, has never been very good beyond around 70 mph.

What are you doing for luggage? Gonna go with a tent? Hammock? I had a lot of fun tent camping out of my KLR using Pelican cases. If you've got a source for fresh water that isn't two gallons in your side cases, that's a lot of weight you'd be saving right there.

• Locked thread