Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cheesebot posted:

blugu64, maybe your TA is a POS but mine rocks and I'm not giving it up for anything.

Here we are fully loaded:

DR-Z400SM (with S wheelset for the trip) and XLV600 Transalp

I really like your saddlebag setup--where did you get those? I'm looking for something to throw on my Bonneville for a trip in July. Since I'll be going from the San Francisco area up to western Washington, I guess I should also get one of those waterproof duffels.

I've been watching Adventure Prone (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAdventureProne) lately; have any of you tried sleeping in the open like they do? I don't think it would be an option if I am camping in southern Oregon on this trip, but I'm thinking of future trips in drier climes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Belflek posted:

Has anyone tried out http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?
Having some folks uploading thier gpx files with landmarks, camping areas and gas stations and brothels would be pretty sweet for those of us to lazy to make our own, or not bought our gps yet.

Looks cool but unless I'm doing it wrong, there's only one route in the whole system. I'd upload maps myself (not on a dualsport, but it's not like I couldn't put in nice routes and locations).

Edit: derp, I didn't notice they were only showing a *featured* map, not all of them. I found the rest.

Double edit: haha $20 for the Android app, get hosed

I've never been a huge fan of the modern BMWs (generally all I see), but this is a drat amazing bike. What year is it?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 11, 2012

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just went on a ride from San Francisco, CA to Vancouver, WA. 2 days each way, 2 days to hang with a friend in Vancouver. Here's what I took:

Black backpack is clothes, all the gear goes in the green pack, and then there's the tent and the sleeping bag.

Packed

The tent is not very big, in fact I had a tough time fitting myself + my stuff in there, or getting my pants on in the morning:

I had a great time. Camped at Humbug Mountain State Park on the way up and Harris Beach State Park on the way back. It was pretty chilly at night and especially when riding early in the morning (I was on the road by 7:30 each day, breaking camp as soon as there was enough light to see).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BotchedLobotomy posted:

California goons, I am thinking about riding up Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco over a weekend this summer, sleeping once on the way somewhere, spending some time up there and then riding back, though might superslab it home to speed things up.

Here is the route I whipped up, has anyone done this before and have recommendations for/against? Where are good places to stop on the way? Anything must see? Never done bike camping so would love the advice now that I'm manning up a bit to do it. :)

http://goo.gl/maps/qzjst

If you're doing 2 days each way, you should have plenty of time to check out cool stuff along the way. I don't know much south of Monterey, but if you want, check out Santa Cruz a bit. The college campus is really quite beautiful, built on a hill among wonderful trees with pedestrian bridges joining the buildings. Downtown is cool too.

gently caress I-5, at the very least take 101 home if you don't want to re-trace PCH. I did PCH to Portland and back from SF, found it enjoyable in both directions.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Can anyone recommend a decent place to camp along the Pacific Coast Highway north of LA? I'm looking at leaving the San Francisco area on Friday morning and heading down Hwy 1 until I'm near LA. The next day, check out the schools at UC Irvine and Riverside (possible grad schools for girlfriend) and just see LA in general, then head back Sunday. Any recommendations?

Edit: Malibu Creek State Park looked like a good option, but goddamn $45/night for a campsite, really?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nsaP posted:

http://freecampsites.net/

Don't pay 45 dollars to camp, cripes.

The best result there is "head out into the desert, way out into BLM land, and find this place which is basically a cleared patch of dirt". (Selby campground) And it's pretty far inland. And you could camp anywhere on BLM land anyway, so the only advantage is the terrifying toilet and the ease with which your fellow campers could rob you, 20 miles from anything.

Edit: just going to the website for the Angeles National Forest is more productive, lots of sites at about $5/day

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 21, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

I actually rode up there with botchedlobotomy one day and asked about it, they said that's per vehicle but for motorcycles, it's basically as many as you can fit in a campsite for $45, split it 3 ways, boom. $15 a pop.

I'll keep that in mind if I go on a group trip down that way, thanks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nsaP posted:

Also I tried this method and failed, mine kept going out. I must have messed it up.

Mine kept going out, and I almost lit my kitchen on fire because I was experimenting with it late at night and managed to tip it over.

It was sort of working at one point, though, so I may try again.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Honestly freezer bag meal/freeze dried meal + jetboil is compact and light enough to make the ease of use worth it. But that's just IMO.

it was a neat thing to play with, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

M42 posted:

I've been at this exact pulloff and took almost exactly the same picture! :hf:

I've taken the same picture too. I grew up not far from there.

• Locked thread