Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Here's before and after photos from my first night camping with my bike. Also, first night camping in a hammock aaaand first night in Canada on my trip from California to Alaska. This was last week.

(I'm posting this all from my phone using imgur and SA apps so if its all hosed up I'm sorry. Currently in a motel in Tok, AK while I wait for the snow to let up)

tranten fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Woke up at 4:30am freezing. Got out of the hammock and saw it. Went and took a 45 minute shower and came back and snapped the pic. Ice all over the roads meant it wasn't the most fun day on the road. :-) but that's all part of the big-picture fun!!

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

It's a 15°F marmot bag, and the hammock (Hennessey brand) I got the extra "undercover" pad and sling for. So there's a thin pad under me. That was the first time I'd set it up so I'd forgotten the emergency blanket to put above the pad as well as I didn't have everything lined up right nor experience in sleeping in the hammock. The next time was probably a lot colder out (around 5-10° I heard) and I slept a lot warmer. Experience helped!

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I used the cold weather undercover and pad on my Hennessy this past April and May motocamping my way to Alaska. Couple nights it got below 10°F and even with my 15° mummy I was warm enough provided I didn't move around too much. They're not joking about adding a Mylar space blanket to the mix, however. Made a huge difference.
I liked the setup because the undercover and pad stay connected to the hammock so I just stuffed the whole thing, with sleeping bag inside, into a dry sack, put the rain fly in there too and bungeed the whole shebang to my bike. Easy peasy.
Also with the undercover you can put clothes in between it and the actual hammock for added insulation. So I'd just undress, stuff that stuff into the undercover and get into my bag.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I know it sounds silly but I really don't like poles. I've lived entire summers out of my tent changing locations almost every night and I'm just sick of 'em. It probably takes almost the same amount if time to set up my hammock but it just FEELS so much quicker to me. Also I'm fat and I have to bend over less setting up a hammock.

• Locked thread