Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

PlasticSun posted:

Good Info

I absolutely agree with the Agnes insulated sleeping pad, and a down bag. I bring both of those camping with me and they're great.

I've got an REI quarter dome 2 and it has really really short tentpoles, so it's easy to pack

I also loved having a camelbak with me, and now that I've figured out how to lock the nozzle I don't think I'll have to worry about pouring cold water down my pant inseam anymore.

Also a headlamp seriously that was one of the most useful things I brought with me last time. I highly recommend it.

State parks/forests are great places to go, it's usually what I look for. You usually pay a bit for the camping spaces, but sometimes it makes life a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Here's my bike loaded up from last trip

Here is the tent and my travel buddy (I'm a dork)

hooray fog

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

PlasticSun posted:

All this camping talk has got me itching for spring, if any of you find yourselves in CO hit me up I know a handful of great moto-camping spots

I'm in Central Texas, but I was considering taking a week or so off and riding up to CO to do some camping probably mid to late spring if there's any interest in organizing something there.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I'm game for that PlasticSun, just get some dates and I'll request the PTO. It'll probably be a 2 day/1 night ride for me to get there, so I'll have to account for that on either end.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I bought one of these insulated sleeping pads from REI and I've liked it so far:

http://www.rei.com/product/763953/big-agnes-insulated-air-core-pad

It sucks that you have to blow it up, it's not self-inflating, however because of that it packs up really, really small and is lightweight. I find it comfortable and now that I've used it I am not considering getting any self-inflating pad.

Also boo to foam.

edit: Just looked at that one MotoMind, and that looks great, similar design just with a built in pump.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 3, 2012

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

BotchedLobotomy posted:

California goons, I am thinking about riding up Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco over a weekend this summer, sleeping once on the way somewhere, spending some time up there and then riding back, though might superslab it home to speed things up.

Here is the route I whipped up, has anyone done this before and have recommendations for/against? Where are good places to stop on the way? Anything must see? Never done bike camping so would love the advice now that I'm manning up a bit to do it. :)

http://goo.gl/maps/qzjst

Unless you're really committed to taking the 1 the entire way, I'd break off from the 1 at Santa Cruz, and take Highway 9 up until you hit 236/Big Basin Highway. I'd ride 236 back to 9, then jump on 35 and take that until you get to Alice's, have an overpriced burger, then depending on how you feel either take the 84 back to the 1, or take the 35 all the way in to the Bay.

Also take a P+S camera, not a DSLR, and don't be afraid to pull over and relax/take a photo as often as you feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Really depends on what your idea of "motorcycle camping" is.

If you're going to be camping around here, I imagine you will likely be doing some 55mph+ street sections between state parks, so you'll probably want a dual sport like a KLR650 or a DRZ400. If you want to do exclusively off-road, single track style riding to remote campsites, and you're okay with trailering your dirtbike until you get to the riding area, then a dirtbike might be better, but that's probably not the case.

So yes, get a KLR650 or a DRZ400. Get it plated, and enjoy the kickass camping in the Hill Country.

But for the love of Christ wait until late September or some such. It's loving hot right now.

• Locked thread