Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Bags on bags on bungies. There's no one right way to pack a bike :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MotoMind posted:

Frankly for a one-night excursion from the trailhead, just fill up your Kriega with vittles and strap your tent and sleeping bag to the back. No luggage needed.

This is how the wife and I approached it the one time we did an overnight dualsport camping trip. Backpack-oriented camping gear - as much strapped to the bikes as is safe, the rest in a backpack on me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

cheesebot posted:

Here we are fully loaded:

I dig the cases you have on your TA, mine were flawless for my tour of the American west:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

O'riginal posted:

The load was well-balanced, but it stuck way out side to side, which gave a lot of wind resistance. One day the weather sucked pretty bad (Bighorn Canyon in October), and my riding was angled pretty good because of a stiff crosswind; quite entertaining.

I've traveled this way. Wind can really blow you around with a wide load, can't it? Doing Ten Sleep to Cody was the same story with riding angle. 50 miles in a straight line, leaned over a few degrees, blown all over the lane, while skirting a thunderstorm... dicey at the time but it was a great experience.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

This probably goes more into the touring / sport-touring threads, but...

600 miles a day is 8-10 hours of straight superslabbing

I've done many 500 mile days, it takes about 8 hours on the interstate if you're going to do any sort of eating and hydration, which you should; I always get from the Seattle area to Missoula in 8 hours flat - that's doing 75-80mph on I90, with a tail wind (way better than a head wind for the fatigue), and one food stop. Coming west usually adds a half hour due to the slower going against the usually-stiff headwind from Spokane to Cle Elum.

In my experience, after 8 hours the riding becomes a chore. 600+ mile days are rough for me and I don't look forward to them, even though I know they're doable. I've done a 1000 mile day with a nap in the middle, and even then I was pretty much delirious by the end of it.

When I go to Texas this spring, I am targeting 400 mile days. I've never lived on the bike for two weeks, so taking it a little slower than 500-per is probably going to be a good thing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ernie Luckman posted:

Frolf is srs bizness.

Back on topic, I'm getting really excited to go motorcycle camping this spring. I've got soft saddlebags and that's about it for luggage. Where are people fitting their tents? Right now my best idea is just bungeeing it down to the rear seat...

I could fit my tent in a pannier, but I like to keep clothes and small loose stuff contained in them. Tent usually gets strapped on the seat.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Potholes can be nice, but the mosquitoes can also be out of control. I go to Sun Lakes or Steamboat Rock just about every year.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Make sure to ride 20 between there and Kettle Falls. You will enjoy it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

Are you doing this in one day? Going out and back? I can suggest a pretty decent loop depending on how many miles you want to cover. Prepare to freeze your rear end off going over the pass.

First time I rode North Cascades Hwy over the pass was on my Vulcan 1500 that barely turned right, at about 10pm, in early May. It was pitch black with snow walls twice as tall as me. Had to hop off close to the top and stand in my exhaust to warm up a little. On the way down, I lost count of how many deer eyes I saw reflecting the headlight. It was probably about the dumbest thing I've ever decided to do on a motorcycle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I take 534/9 up to Walker Valley. It'll get you there.

When I do North Cascades, my favorite route is 530 through Darrington, and connect with 20 at Rockport. It's a pretty nice ride into the foothills there, though it may be a little crowded with the detour. Darrington to Rockport is dueling banjos; pretty deserted jacked-up Confederate flag Dodge pickup country.

Another decent option is to take 530->9->20. 9 between Arlington and Big Lake has a lot of 55mph speed limit that is quite a lot of fun. I feel like I am being bad every time I ride/drive that stretch, but when I look down at the gauge I'm doing like 5-under to 5-over.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 3, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There are gas stations at the Rockport intersection and in marble mount. :)

I am a little jealous. I haven't rode my Buell on north cascades, ever. But I'll be on the west slope of the rockies in a week with it, so not too jealous.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's the good stuff. 20 from Sedro Wolley to Rockport is a schlep, the ride through Darrington is nicer.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

DJ_Ferret posted:

I'm going from Seattle to LA July 10-15/17 (depending on how many days I spend in the Bay Area with friends/family), and that's basically my route from SF to LA on my last leg. I'm leaving from San Jose and going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (because I can) before bombing to LA. Is it unreasonable to do that stretch in one long day? I'm planning on going to the Aquarium around 10am, stay until noonish, then roll out and do the remaining 6-7 hours of riding arriving at my end point in North Hollywood in time to go out for beers and post-ride burgers that evening.

When I did the California coast in 2011, it took a couple hours from SF to Monterey. From Monterey through the Big Sur area to our final stop near SLO, it was a long, slow, exhausting day. You can do it but get out early and be ready for a schlep if you're planning to get to LA in a day down 1.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

Trip report: Awesome ride. 530 and 20 were good, but it was a bit chilly with rain spitting on us now and then. Nothing too bad. There were a fair number of slow movers going down 20, but we got some good spots of open speed and twisting. Once we got over the pass and down towards Winthrop, it warmed up and traffic cleared.
The best part, though, was when 20 turns, outside Twisp, towards Okanogan. Just under 30 miles of open road and twisties. We came up to one car, and he pulled over pretty quickly.
You start out in the hills & trees then come out to a sweeping valley view a few miles before you hit 97. Holy poo poo, it was amazing.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...&sz=13&t=m&z=13

I love riding out there, especially between Tonasket and Kettle Falls. I'll be doing this in a couple weeks for the annual rally in Republic.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

needknees posted:

PS if anyone has good recommendations for routes it'd be appreciated :). Got a decent amount of time off this go around so my goal of finally seeing southwest Colorado will finally be realized! I'll be in golden Friday july 12 through 14 for a friend's wedding, then have the 15th-19th to mess around. Other than riding Mt. Evans again (this time to the summit! Road was closed last time I was there only made it to the lake) and Pike's peak, my only other destination is US550... And a fun way to get down there and back.

When I was down there, 160 to Pagosa Springs and 84 to Chama, NM was a really nice ride. I wanted to do the 10,000ft passes on hwy 17 north out of Chama but it would have taken us way off our route.

Watch out for elk.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It might be different out west, but 300 miles in a day is pretty reasonable in my experience. As long as you're up and on the road before 10, it gives you room to run a slower pace and stop to look at things.

Back road state routes are my favorite way to get around but if there are things I want to check out and a backroad route makes it unfeasable, it could be worth hitting the slab for a couple hours to condense some miles.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

Hi dead camping thread!

I'm headed to Deals Gap so here's my camping set up

Bead riders are magic.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A tire plug kit, safety wire, and some extra oil are good things to have.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nice Caribous. Are those the 1550 models?

Wyoming is fantastic in its emptiness, I haven't been there in a couple years; should get back soon.

Pope Mobile posted:

All in all, the Chinook pass was good, but I still prefer highway 20.

My wife told me the same thing, apparently Chinook Pass was a let-down for her. I haven't done it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You can see the difference in water level between the two, with the current draw-down because of the broken Wanapum dam.

• Locked thread