Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
In happy California the weather is starting to warm up to "70% of the year" levels, and I really want to do a few camping trips on my bike. I currently ride a DRZ400SM and have some soft tailbags and saddlebags that fit pretty decently on the back and with room to spare on the OEM rear rack.

**WHAT DO I PACK?**

I was thinking that a 2-3 person tent would probably be the best idea so that I can dump a shitload of the gear inside the tent + myself since a 1 person is probably way too small. The concern of course is that a big tent + sleeping back + everything else is tough to pack on a bike which leads to my first question. Is there a site that specializes in camping gear that's extra efficient or designed to be strapped to a bike rather than tossed into the back of a car?
Next step would be food equipment, when you all do camping on bikes do you bring any sort of cooking setup or just go with prepackaged stuff? Again size being the issue I'm curious on how people go about this stuff.

**WHERE DO I GO?**

Lastly where are some good places to go in Southern California? When I was a kid I did a huge road trip with my dad in an RV to visit a shitload of national parks in the 4 corner states I'd love to recreate one day, but I'd like to keep it really basic the first couple times. (Babby's first camping trip)

If you have camping advice or stories I'd love to hear them as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Thanks for the links, stuff like that really helps out. Last time I camped was well over a decade ago, and I think people always bring *too* much than too little.

I ride a DRZ400SM right now, street tires but I plan on getting those distanzias so I dont topple over in the slightest amount of dirt.
Do you look for state/national parks and find camping areas in there or do you just ride till you find a secluded area in wherever the hell and set up camp? I've read a few Adventure rider threads where the guys are in wherever the hell nowhere mexico and pitch tent a hundred meters off the road but that's perhaps a little hardcore for me right now. :)

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

PlasticSun posted:

You could head out to the mojave and live out your fallout new vegas fantasies.

Haha, this is it, this is why I want to go camping. Already working on my YesMan sticker for the front of the bike.

Thanks everyone for all these tips, keep them coming!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Maybe I'm weird but I'm just fine with my cell phone and a gps app. v:shobon:v

(a non data gps app)

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
For GPS I bought one of these for my android phone. Its cheap and works really well for how inexpensive it is. pushing buttons through a glove is tough since it doesnt always pick things up with a capacative screen, but works fine once the glove is off through the plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Handlebar-Mount-Most-Smartphones/dp/B003YGGFOW/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

Issues are that if its really bright out phones dont really display very well in general.

Bonus is if its bright out thats ok because if you have a bluetooth headset you can just have it feed you directions while your music is playing. :)

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

NitroSpazzz posted:

Android or iPhone and what app? I have been trying to find a good one.

I've had good luck with this one, called OSMAND. Its cool because it also pulls cool points of interest from wikipedia and throws them on the map too. Its not as good as google map's functionality but does not need any data to get you going.

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en

Whoops double post.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm hoping to go camping with a friend (and goon here) next month and we're getting close to having everything ready. Last on the list I am not 100% yet on choices is the sleeping bag. I want to start with something cheap first since I'm not 100% if this is for me and 2nd I live in California so it rarely drops into the super cold temps so a lightweight cheap bag isn't a horrible option. Here's my thought:

http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-Adventurer-Ultra-Compactable-Sleeping/dp/B001TR7QZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330465081&sr=8-1
Its a 40 dollar bag which is cheap as hell, but its very small form factor too. Advertises it goes down to 30 degrees, but I don't even want to camp when it gets that cold so I think it will work well.

Tent I am thinking this one, its inexpensive and the poles are short enough they fit into my tailbag so I don't need to strap it anywhere; I can stow it in a bag.
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

Finally so this isn't just a blog post here is a cool article I found on advrider, its about "budget traveling" but its more about "smart" traveling. He does things on a bicycle so not everything is 100% ironclad (I don't care if something is heavy as long as it fits in a bag/I can strap it down) but it is a fun read. Not too sure about camping near a cemetery though, I've seen too many movies. :)
https://umdrive.memphis.edu/jzelazny/public/BudgetTravel.pdf

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Wow good deal! I saw that one in store but as it says there it was 175. I kind of want a freestanding tent, but...hmmm... I'll have to think about it.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Rookie question and I feel stupid asking but for the guys who camp a lot, "where" do you camp? Do you usually pick camp destinations on a trip and drive there and set up and its a typical camping location? Or do you just ride and when you find a secluded area just drive off the beaten path a bit and set up camp there?

The latter sounds more fun but the last thing i need is to get hostel-ed by some whacko in the forest haha.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Alright I think I have all the camping bits I need.

I ended up with a 3 person tent since it was a handmedown and free>buy until I decide this is truly something I'll be doing all the time. Sleeping bag also handled, its a bit big but I can shove it into a saddlebag no problem with other stuff in there too.

Now that I'm ready to go, I'm not sure on where to go that has space available for my ~*~babby's first bike camping trip~*~. When I check state park websites you have to sign up to camp there which sort of kills the "on the spot" deciding to go one weekend. Is this really how its become that you cant just go camping spurr of the moment? :(

Anyways, I was checking this place out since it also doubles as something fun to do on the bike. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=405

Has anyone been there and camped? I assumed I should go there before its like 100 degrees in the summer.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I bought one of these for my DRZ400SM for my side bags, its cheap and bolts directly to the frame and comes with all hardware. I have it in conjunction with the OEM rack (which I was concerned it wasnt going to fit on) and it worked great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ4...07e7c0e&vxp=mtr

Offer like 75 and he'll bite. :)

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I still havent been able to go camping this summer yet, but maybe someday :allears:

I'm kind of locked into state parks that charge a fee. That's fine but most of them are all snatched up already. Is it possible to "crash" one of these places by showing up on a bike and verifying you'd leave a very small footprint?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

nsaP posted:

No primitive camping there? I'll try to avoid proper sites as much as I can. I hiked all that stuff 1/4 mile in 1 trip. Maybe facilities are the way to go but I'd rather get away from curfews and RVs.

I'd love to do this but I don't know where those campsites are :downs:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Spring is rolling around and I cant wait to go on babby's first camping trip on my bike soon :allears:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
California goons, I am thinking about riding up Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco over a weekend this summer, sleeping once on the way somewhere, spending some time up there and then riding back, though might superslab it home to speed things up.

Here is the route I whipped up, has anyone done this before and have recommendations for/against? Where are good places to stop on the way? Anything must see? Never done bike camping so would love the advice now that I'm manning up a bit to do it. :)

http://goo.gl/maps/qzjst

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Those hammocks own. I really gotta get one.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent place to camp along the Pacific Coast Highway north of LA? I'm looking at leaving the San Francisco area on Friday morning and heading down Hwy 1 until I'm near LA. The next day, check out the schools at UC Irvine and Riverside (possible grad schools for girlfriend) and just see LA in general, then head back Sunday. Any recommendations?

Edit: Malibu Creek State Park looked like a good option, but goddamn $45/night for a campsite, really?

Also interested as I live in LA and want to get the gently caress out of LA for a weekend. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

It's a bit too late in the season right now (I think they just closed the campsites) but just go up Angeles Crest Highway!!
Plus it's some of the best riding roads in California.

Neat! I ride a DRZ so that'd be great. I've actually never been up there, and it looks like its an easier trip than idylwild.

• Locked thread