Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I've always been told (and tried with success) that the less you wear in a sleeping bag, the better it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

Monterey Bay is, what, under 300 miles from LA? You should be able to get that no problem in 6ish hours depending on your speed and route.

Last time it was 323 from leave to arrive.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent place to camp along the Pacific Coast Highway north of LA? I'm looking at leaving the San Francisco area on Friday morning and heading down Hwy 1 until I'm near LA. The next day, check out the schools at UC Irvine and Riverside (possible grad schools for girlfriend) and just see LA in general, then head back Sunday. Any recommendations?

Edit: Malibu Creek State Park looked like a good option, but goddamn $45/night for a campsite, really?

I actually rode up there with botchedlobotomy one day and asked about it, they said that's per vehicle but for motorcycles, it's basically as many as you can fit in a campsite for $45, split it 3 ways, boom. $15 a pop.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Dunno if this is better for the gear thread or what but whatever. Just wanted to say that after taking my little Cortech bags on a camping trip for a week, they held up admirably.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-saddlebags

I got them originally for general purpose carrying stuff on the bike because they were small and light and looked good, and I didn't want to go as far as hard cases. They can be zipped into a narrower or wider configuration...I leave them narrow most of the time but opened them up for the trip. They carried all the clothes, tools, food, stove, fuel, etc needed for one person spending a week up in the mountains just fine, plus enough leftover space for a 400mm telephoto lens and a hardcover book. (tent and a self-inflating pad didn't fit, obviously, those were tied on top).

Bags didn't shift, slide or move once across 1800 miles of interstates, two-lanes, and washboard dirt roads. They started to sag a little bit after some particularly bouncy stuff (pretty sure I had them overloaded anyway, eg. with the giant chunk of metal and glass sitting in one) but roping the handles together and pulling them tight across the seat fixed that for the rest of the trip.

I recommend these if you're looking for a simple set of soft bags for around town and short trips, but that will also hold up well for occasional several-day excursions.

(I have GOT to get a smaller sleeping bag)

That's right near my grandparent's old place! Tuolumne county owns so hard.

• Locked thread