Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

Space Fish posted:

There's a huge loose thread there - did someone invite both of them to the same Halloween party?

Wtf at "when she hits him it's domestic abuse, when he pushes her down some steps into an injury it's a poor decision."

They were still married at the time of the Halloween party. The girlfriend was not there.

They are both domestic abuse: shoving or hitting. But the nuance here is that this was self defense. She had a long history of hitting him prior to this incident, many times, and in this specific case it was viewed by the legal system & witnesses as self defense. The dude is not a big guy, the ex-wife could knock him out cold with the size difference. And she had kicked the poo poo out of him a number of times prior, in front of friends at previous occasions. He was walking away from the verbal fight, she shoved or hit him from behind, fueled by alcohol, he snapped, turned around, and fought back with a single shove. Again, witnesses do not corroborate the wife's story that he "choked her out" or "smashed her head repeatedly against the ground" (she claimed both these things happened at the Halloween party, in front of multiple witnesses)--it was a single shove, not realizing the steps were there, and she hit her head on the ground once. The charges were dropped completely. Any violence in a relationship sucks no matter who is doing the swinging. But prior to this, from Roc's story, she was the one doing the swinging, regularly, for years.

All I'm saying is there's a lot more to the story than the Mary Sue article--Mary Sue makes their ad revenue on headlines like this and is incredibly biased. The CBR article is way more even keeled. Bleeding Cool is Bleeding Cool. The ex-wifes blog existed exactly the length of time of the divorce trial and did it's job of winning her custody & getting a chunk of the Rat Queens money. I don't think that's a coincidence.

thotsky posted:

It's a well known fact that most wife-beaters keep their friends informed about their wife-beating activities. That poo poo never happens behind closed doors.

Yeah, snarkiness aside, fair enough. I'm just saying it's not in line with the the Roc anyone knows--and my sister is one of the girlfriend's very close childhood friends--she hasn't ever alluded to anything being off in their relationship and hasn't shown up with any mysterious bruises (they both cosplay and dance burlesque together, they've seen each other in underwear pretty regularly). He's been in counseling for PTSD from some of the beatings he took from his ex-wife, though. All domestic violence sucks, period.

The Roc I know was in a bad situation for a number of years, and now he's in a better place. I think the comics industry needs more trans-positive, gay-positive, female positive role model characters, minority creator, and those are all something he's championed both before and after the hosed up marriage and deep alcoholic pit he was stuck in. I don't think the guy deserves to have his career destroyed over this, he's not the target cancel culture is looking for.

Hobo Grandpa fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Does anyone have any opinions on Image's Skyward? I know the hardcover came out recently and I'm thinking of picking it up--the premise is right up my alley--but I haven't heard any buzz surrounding it, so I have no idea if it's any good or not.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

JordanKai posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Image's Skyward? I know the hardcover came out recently and I'm thinking of picking it up--the premise is right up my alley--but I haven't heard any buzz surrounding it, so I have no idea if it's any good or not.

I enjoyed it when it came out. It was a fun series that did some interesting things with what a zero-gravity world would be like. It did feel like it ended kind of abruptly but better to have a generally contained limited series than something that just spun out forever, I suppose.

There was a movie adaptation announced a while ago but haven't heard anything further about it since.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chairman Capone posted:

I enjoyed it when it came out. It was a fun series that did some interesting things with what a zero-gravity world would be like. It did feel like it ended kind of abruptly but better to have a generally contained limited series than something that just spun out forever, I suppose.

There was a movie adaptation announced a while ago but haven't heard anything further about it since.

Unfortunately that's why you don't see more of books with cool ideas like that go on at length. People want to make a six issue mini to option a screenplay and then move on to something else. At least this book maybe tied itself up in the end. That's why I generally sit out a lot of books until I'm sure they get an ending because it seems like a lot of indie comics these days are just illustrated movie pitches.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It definitely had an ending that tied everything up, but it did feel like it could have gone on longer. It had the feeling like it was intended to go on longer but sales lagged, and they were given one more volume to wrap it up rather than be canceled outright (RIP Copperhead, speaking of).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ed Piskor's new monthly, Red Room, is a disgusting exploitative horror book about streaming dismemberment videos, how they're made and the people who make them.

It's great but definitely not for the weak of stomach.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1395361270774255619?s=20

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I thought the first volume of that was kind of cool, the second volume quite confusing and I could not get through the third.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cloks posted:

Ed Piskor's new monthly, Red Room, is a disgusting exploitative horror book about streaming dismemberment videos, how they're made and the people who make them.

It's great but definitely not for the weak of stomach.

I really like it. Need to catch up to the patreon pages though.

Also need to buy the physical version, hope it’s not totally sold out. All the shops around me being closed because of a covid lockdown has really slowed by comics buying.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Went back and read some Invincible again due to the show. (Well the memes actually, didnt want to subscribe:v)

Again im both enjoying bits and being absolutely infuriated by others lmao.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. Invincible is one of my all time favs, so much fun reading that while it came out. Plus a few of my friends read it, and a couple of us got a few of letters in the letters pages too. And tough to top Ottley. Anyhoo, cool book.

And don't miss the Science Dog two issue series! Well, the first issue is re-prints of backups, but you gotta have the whole Science Dog saga. Tech Jacket is cool, I've still gotta read Brit.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I started reading Invincible on account of the show being fun. Some surprisingly modern themes in there :v:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Editing Omni-man's mustache will never get old to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes putting in some solid work on the Magic: The Gathering comic and this comes from somebody who hasn't played since Ice Age.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I hadn't bought a new card or played since 2001, and naively assumed that getting up to speed lore-wise would be pretty simple. I was wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

20 years of lore what’s that

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

It's a week of my bloodshot eyes staring at wiki pages, is what it is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I hadn't bought a new card or played since 2001, and naively assumed that getting up to speed lore-wise would be pretty simple. I was wrong.

If it helps, "I could kill with a look and he was never afraid to meet my eyes" is pretty universal and also a great line (that I paraphrased).

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's a week of my bloodshot eyes staring at wiki pages, is what it is.

I thought Magic lore was just "If Jace isn't in the story, characters should ask "Where is Jace" "

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been really enjoying Scott Snyder's Nocterra and it's the best Tony Daniels' work has ever looked.

How was Josh Williamson's Birthright? I saw that just wrapped following him on Twitter.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

How was Josh Williamson's Birthright? I saw that just wrapped following him on Twitter.

I've been reading it since it started and it's great. I'm now only reading it in trades though so I've not read the final volume yet and it's been a while since volume nine came out. The thing is that volume nine pretty much wrapped the main story of the series so I'm interested to see what the last volume actually even is.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vincent posted:

I thought Magic lore was just "If Jace isn't in the story, characters should ask "Where is Jace" "

Don't be silly.

You didn't mention Sorin Markov once there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Well, that explains why Ral Zarek evidently hasn't heard of Urza.

Ral says to Kaya that before her he'd never heard of a planeswalker who could bring someone else through the Blind Eternities. But canonically Urza has done this.

(For that matter, so has almost every other planeswalker who isn't a pure artificer. Unless something changed in the lore, summoning creatures involves bringing them to you from another plane or location.)

That's just a nitpick, though. I picked up the first three issues on the recommendation of the thread and am not yet disappointed.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Great Mending happened ~60 years prior to the events of the story, where the Planeswalker's Spark was redefined. As a part of that, Planeswalkers were no longer at a godlike level of power, and couldn't summon creatures to fight for them (I believe it's implied that some summon 'memory projections' or something). The only living things crossing the planar barrier either have a planeswalker's spark or were some kind of weird aberration, so Ral (ever the modernist) was only referring to extant planeswalkers.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 14, 2021

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Give this man his no prize

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I dug the new Black Hammer series that kicked off today.

Lemire also announced this new collab with Andrea Sorrentino which as usual sounds like my jam:

https://twitter.com/JeffLemire/status/1407777108517138434

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I dug the new Black Hammer series that kicked off today.

Lemire also announced this new collab with Andrea Sorrentino which as usual sounds like my jam:

https://twitter.com/JeffLemire/status/1407777108517138434

Gideon Falls was a bit too loose for me storywise but I will check out the new book. I generally enjoy Lemire's stuff

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Madkal posted:

Gideon Falls was a bit too loose for me storywise but I will check out the new book. I generally enjoy Lemire's stuff

What does he have running right now - Family Tree, Ascender, miscellaneous Black Hammer stuff?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I always like Lemire. Looking forward to Primordial based on that alone. I gotta read The Underwater Welder first though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cloks posted:

What does he have running right now - Family Tree, Ascender, miscellaneous Black Hammer stuff?

Family Tree and the Sweet Tooth sequel mini just ended, so right now it's Ascender, Black Hammer, and random stories in DC comps. He's doing art and writing for Mazebook from Dark Horse with the first issue out in September.

Promo blurb posted:

A lonely building inspector still grieving the loss of his puzzle-loving daughter receives a mysterious phone call one night from a girl claiming to be her, trapped in the middle of a labyrinth. Convinced that his child is contacting him from beyond this world, he uses an unfinished maze from one of her journals and a map of the city to trace an intricate path through a different plane of reality and embarks on an intense and melancholic adventure to bring his daughter back home

https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/status/1408457038942945281

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 25, 2021

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Made in Korea (parents adopt a robot child) is off to an interesting start but I'm not sure I like where it seems to be going in the next issue.

This month's Crossover by guest writer Zdarsky is worth a look if you're into meta stuff.

I think I'm enjoying the Old Guard spinoff "Tales Through Time" more than the actual series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

Well, that explains why Ral Zarek evidently hasn't heard of Urza.

Ral says to Kaya that before her he'd never heard of a planeswalker who could bring someone else through the Blind Eternities. But canonically Urza has done this.

(For that matter, so has almost every other planeswalker who isn't a pure artificer. Unless something changed in the lore, summoning creatures involves bringing them to you from another plane or location.)

That's just a nitpick, though. I picked up the first three issues on the recommendation of the thread and am not yet disappointed.

Show me a black border Urza planeswalker, then. :colbert:

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
More like BOREZRKR

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been reading some really fun horror-ish comics from Image in Home Sick Pilots (which is, to quote the soundbite, Power Rangers meets The Shining) and Shadecraft. Both are great.

In sad news apparently all the Ghostbusters books have been scrubbed from Comixology. I know there are Ways to read them but it sucks because I kinda wanted to pay for them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Huh IDW must've lost the license. Explains why there was never an announcement for the next series

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Anyone read M.O.M.? I thought it stunk, good ideas and intention but it could've used another pass or two. Clarke unfortunately undercut her messaging by presenting problems that resonated with her view of feminism but like, she's much more privileged than the average woman and doesn't acknowledge this in her writing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The GB comics being digitally unavailable has been a thing for months. The word is that Sony wants everything GB related to pause until after the movie is released so as to not overextend the property.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

The GB comics being digitally unavailable has been a thing for months. The word is that Sony wants everything GB related to pause until after the movie is released so as to not overextend the property.

Bizarre. That seems like very Clueless Exec because the comics are hardly going to encroach on a movie's take home.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Especially not IDW comics, their distribution is a fraction of the Big Two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
clearly the comics were why the 20whatever movie was bad

hasn't the new movie been finished for like 2 years already