Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

McGurk posted:

Stray Bullets is my favorite comic ever, and I think it’s actually pretty hilarious (the second arc is much funnier than the first)- but yes Lapham stuffs his books with heart-wrenching violence. Coincidentally, I was flipping through my SB back issues recently and came across this letter.

How's Sunshine & Roses? Does it continue the stuff from original SB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Terminally Bored posted:

How's Sunshine & Roses? Does it continue the stuff from original SB?

Yeah - timelinewise, it's basically slotted in between Innocence of Nihilism and Somewhere Out West. It won't change your mind though if you didn't care for the original issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gillen included an update on Uber in his latest newsletter:

quote:

I was waiting to be able to speak to Avatar properly before giving an update on Uber for this year, but the conversation has had to be delayed for a bit.

So the interim update answer is: no change in the situation yet. We’re waiting on Avatar, who own the book, to decide on their publishing going forward.

I’m committed to finishing the book - the second things are sorted, I’ll polish up the last four scripts and get them over. Daniel and I talk regularly to check in with each other.

I’ll update when I talk properly with Avatar.

Well, I guess that's something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
we'll never see those last issues lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

At least we got Maria’s happy ending as god of the anarchist motherland.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Imagine having a Kierron Gillen written book with an artist wanting to draw it, and just not publishing it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Skwirl posted:

Imagine having a Kierron Gillen written book with an artist wanting to draw it, and just not publishing it.

It's Avatar, they've made worse mistakes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I finally got to read Right Billion Genies #7 last night. I did like the gimmick that each issue was “The First Eight X”, as in first eight minutes, eight hours, etc. With this issue they did the first eight decades.

Sadly I think this didn’t hold up. It felt like a comic that got canceled suddenly and they had to wrap up everything sooner than they planned. I wish we had more time in this world, but there’s only one issue left, and I guess it’s going to have eight centuries in that issue alone. Plus everyone but one character is dead, and we didn’t get any time to get to know this character.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo, THE FORGED is really, really good. Check it out!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Yo, THE FORGED is really, really good. Check it out!

Yeah it’s a fun book with a cool presentation. Felt like a lot for the money.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You lot reading any comics? You proper geezers getting busy with some 20 pagers?

I haven't, but I intend to. I did read some One Piece.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I've really been liking Love Everlasting a whole lot, but it's Tom King if that sours you on it. I enjoy some of his work, and I think this is among his better works so far imo. There's only 5 issues out currently I believe.

8 Billion Genies is something special. Only one issue left, and I don't want it to end.

Do a Powerbomb and the Crimson Cage were great. They may or may not work for you depending on whether or not wrestling appeals or repels you. Crimson Cage is a retelling of MacBeth set in the early 80s local wrestling scene in New Orleans. I grew up there and went to those shows back then, and it was some fun nostalgia. That said Do A Powerbomb is probably the better of the two. It's more a story about wrestlers and their family and what happens after someone dies in the ring. Then a demon has a universe wide wrestling tournament and the winner gets someone back from the dead. Earth is the only world where wrestling isn't real blood combat. Whoops.

I read the 1st issue of a book called Absolution that's basically a cyberpunk Running Man live streamed on a Twitch like service. It's published by AWA I believe and I've had trouble finding it in floppies so I'll likely get them on my Kindle.

I'm enjoying Blood Stained Teeth, I've got the first two issues of All Against All on my desk but haven't gotten to those two.

I liked what I saw but haven't dove in for real yet, but next in my to read pile is Starhenge by Liam Sharp.

If you haven't read the Stray Dogs trade, I loved it. Content warning, it has animal harm in it. The gist of it is a Disneyesque (both creators worked on My Little Pony books prior according to their bios in the book) art style book about cute dogs who try to bring the new dog into their pack and let them know Master's rules. Oops he's a serial killer. The tonal clash works really well. It stuck with me like WE3 and Beasts of Burden did. But to reiterate, if seeing animal harm is a deal breaker for you, avoid this book.

I normally hate T&A stuff, just because I think it's corny. Sunstone however is a fun and silly love story that develops over time. There are also some fairly graphic bdsm scenes in it so reader beware. Stjepan Šejić is such a great artist though, that his horny writing works. Most of his work is horny on main, but also really fun reads.

I'm always up for recommendations on stuff I haven't heard about as well if anyone else has anything.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I've been meaning to post some recommendations so thanks for the reminder.

Spy Superb is a really fun spy yarn from Matt Kindt. The premise is that the best spy is one that can be manipulated into espionage without even knowing they're a spy.

Know Your Station is a murder mystery on a space station which the underqualified drug addicted security officer is trying to solve.

Kaya and Kroma are both fantasy series with great art. I'll give Kroma the edge in art but the writing might be a touch better on Kaya.

20th Century Men is an alternate history cold war tale that's pretty complex but also very interesting.

Hitomi is a story about an orphan who wants to be a samurai with spectacular art.

Indigo Children: RADIANT BLACK meets THE DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH in this action-packed sci-fi/mystery epic as journalist Donovan Price hunts down the extraordinarily gifted INDIGO CHILDREN after their mysterious disappearance fifteen years prior.

I've also been enjoying:
Local Man
Immortal Sergeant
drat Them All
Phantom Road
The Forged
Black Cloak
Harrower
Where Monsters Lie
Behold Behemoth
Briar

I'll second Love Everlasting, 8 Billion Genies, Stray Dogs, and especially Do A Powerbomb.

I read far too many comics.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! I've also gotta read Murder Falcon by Johnson, that looks pretty sweet. Touching issues + over-the-top intense metal thingy, that's some classic anime formula right there.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Those all sound like my kind of thing. I'm adding those to my list for my next trip to the shop.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I can definitely second Kaya, Hitomi, All Against All, Spy Superb. Kaya in particular is great if you’re looking for an ongoing - the first TPB just came out.

Black Cloak has pulled me in even though the art isn’t really my thing. The cityscapes are beautiful but I don’t really care for the way the characters are drawn.

20th Century Men was the best book I read last year - the TPB is about to come out. It’s an interesting mix of cold war politics/philosophy and twisted mechs/superheroes. I think I’ve compared it to Metal Gear Solid before in this thread but it’s the best parallel I can think of.

For something funny check out Santos Sisters - two bratty superhero sisters in a few short stories every issue. Definitely an adult book but drawn in an Archie retro style.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I noticed that the local Dollarama got a bunch of Lion Forge trades in (they get random graphic novels from all over). Any titles worth checking out?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Matt Kindt's "Hairball" is off to an interesting start. It's looking like a family drama meets horror with a supernatural cat. I'll be really angry if they kill the cat though.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So I got my copy of John Allison's The Great British Bump Off yesterday. It's a murder mystery set at British baking show and stars Bad Machinery's Shauna Wickle in her first solo role. The first issue is mostly set-up but I'm pretty optimistic about this series, if only because Allison is limiting himself to four issues and thus will hopefully focus on the mystery and it won't turn out like 2020 Wicked Things (which I didn't hate, but I was disappointed by).

I also read Daniel Johnson's Do A Powerbomb on my library's hoopla app and I LOVED it! I have to admit while I saw it keep getting recommended in this and other threads I didn't really know what to expect. After I checked it out it sat on my smartphone for a few days until one night when I started to read it, only meaning to read an issue or two. I ended up devouring the whole thing in one night and I have already order the physical trade.

Finally, speaking of hoopla I have been using it to go through some older comics that I didn't get to read as a kid/teen. I recently read Peter Bagge's Hate comics. It was interesting as a lot them sort of documented / predicted the Seattle Grunge culture. Also the whole saga with (spoiler for a 30-year-old comic) Stinky's corpse was kinda wild.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I saw that Stray Dogs has a 2 issue follow up series subtitled Dog Days. Has anyone read it?

I've got the 1st issue being delivered, but none of my local shops carry it. I want to warn my dogs how long they're going to get hugged after I read it.

Love Everlasting's last two issues have started ever so slightly letting us glimpse behind the curtain, and I haven't enjoyed a Tom King written book this much in a while.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lucifunk posted:

I saw that Stray Dogs has a 2 issue follow up series subtitled Dog Days. Has anyone read it?

I've got the 1st issue being delivered, but none of my local shops carry it. I want to warn my dogs how long they're going to get hugged after I read it.

Love Everlasting's last two issues have started ever so slightly letting us glimpse behind the curtain, and I haven't enjoyed a Tom King written book this much in a while.

It's mostly prologue with a bit of epilogue. A lot less direct harm to dogs than the main series.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The_Other posted:

I also read Daniel Johnson's Do A Powerbomb on my library's hoopla app and I LOVED it! I have to admit while I saw it keep getting recommended in this and other threads I didn't really know what to expect. After I checked it out it sat on my smartphone for a few days until one night when I started to read it, only meaning to read an issue or two. I ended up devouring the whole thing in one night and I have already order the physical trade.

my tattoo artist recommended this to me this past weekend, thanks for the tipoff that it's on Hoopla, Hoopla's comics collection remains insane

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I bought Do a powerbomb for a buddy of mine as he is a big wrestling fan and I figured he would enjoy it. I haven't given it to him yet but I did read it first and now I am considering getting another copy just for me. It is such a great comic and the action sequences are some of the best I have seen in comics in a long time.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm so glad to see all the hype about Do A Powerbomb! Daniel Warren Johnson has been one of my faves in recent years and it's probably his best work yet. I'd also strongly recommend Murder Falcon, Extremity, and his Beta Ray Bill mini. His take on Wonder Woman was good too but I didnt like it as much as his other work. DWJ is great at dynamic art and gnarly monsters, and he's also very good at infusing his weirdo situations with a lot of emotion.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Me reading Monstress when the main character is just eating people: 'Hahah she sure is a monster'
Me reading Monstress when she gets into warcrimes: ':O'

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
In a bad way or like drat this comic is wild way? Cause I have enjoyed it and just got the second compendium to read and was gonna read it soon!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was just mostly trying to square my own reactions to the two things she's doing to earn the series' title. And yea it's great, its just also A LOT at times.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I got the final issue of 8 Billion Genies, and read them all in a row to the end. What a series. Charles Soule is a hell of a writer to be a lawyer. I also like when these types of series just kind of epilogue the end like Wicked & The Divine. Closure with room to fill in with your own thoughts.

I see Kelly Thompson has a new series called Black Cloak. I've never read anything by her I didn't love, so I think that's my next pick up. I've got Liam Sharpe's Starhenge I want to run though next and then start up on All Against All. I've got the 1st 2 issues on my pile, and I keep hearing good things.

Any opinions on BRZRKR? It looks cool, but was already pretty well going before I noticed it, and celebrity books are iffy at best imo, but I've heard generally good buzz. Not sure if it's a similar thing, but I absolutely loved Lazarus by Rucka and Lark.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BRZRKR is....fine? I think it was longer than it needed to be and the art isn't great.

I'm really enjoying Black Cloak.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Mark Russell is writing a miniseries about cereal monsters because of course he is.

https://twitter.com/Manruss/status/1666845947278811136?t=cyt8cdcSVJNIxhzXwiJr7A&s=19

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Mark Russell is writing a miniseries about cereal monsters because of course he is.

https://twitter.com/Manruss/status/1666845947278811136?t=cyt8cdcSVJNIxhzXwiJr7A&s=19

Okay, this is going to be much better than it has any right to be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wielder posted:

Okay, this is going to be much better than it has any right to be.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Better Flintstones excerpt for Pride Month:

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It's been done.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

So Robert Kirkman is running a new Transformers and GI Joe shared universe with books by Daniel Warren Johnson and Joshua Williamson? And this was revealed in his new Image book which isn't obviously related? I'm tentatively excited!

I don't pay much attention to industry news or solicits so this was a fun surprise!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like it! To quote RoboCop. Also Larry Hama is continuing his series there at issue 301.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm intrigued, but I hope Skybound also reprints the Marvel and especially IDW material.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel really sorry for all those poor Transformers fans who have been collecting the IDW hardcover collections and will be left with an incomplete set after years of collecting. I pray the same doesn't happen to me and my TMNT collection. It already did with the Ghostubsters hardcovers.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

X-O posted:

I feel really sorry for all those poor Transformers fans who have been collecting the IDW hardcover collections and will be left with an incomplete set after years of collecting. I pray the same doesn't happen to me and my TMNT collection. It already did with the Ghostubsters hardcovers.

How far behind are they on TMNT? I thought the hardcovers came out pretty frequently.

Related, I wish IDW could put out comprehensive collections of the Mirage run. There’s a new omnibus that skips #8 (the Cerebus issue) which they’ve reprinted before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

McGurk posted:

How far behind are they on TMNT? I thought the hardcovers came out pretty frequently.

Related, I wish IDW could put out comprehensive collections of the Mirage run. There’s a new omnibus that skips #8 (the Cerebus issue) which they’ve reprinted before.

I just don't want them to lose the license and then not get the last few issues like this Transformers run apparently is going to be.