Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

God, dammit. What about Orc Stain, Stokoe? Don't make me wait another year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Title:: DV8 - Gods and Monsters
Publisher: Last Wildstorm book to ever get published. Technically DC comics.
Writer/Artist: Brian Wood/Rebekah Isaacs
Brief description: A team of 8 super powered, bratty, 20-something superheroes are dropped on a planet much like earth, only with a human population that is nowhere as advanced as us. The group starts bickering almost immediately, and break up to form their own little tribes among the natives where they're regarded as gods because of their powers.
Why I like it: I just love the premise of the book. I don't know if it quite delivers on it, but I thought it was a solid story nonetheless.
The motivations differ from each of the characters, so it doesn't just end up being a play for power. Despite the Lord of the Flies type setup, it's a lot more uplifting than that.
Also, the interior art is really good, don't be fooled by the lovely Jim Lee cover.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: There's only one trade. DV8 used to be a Wildstorm super hero team, but I never read any of the previous books, so I guess you don't need the previous comics to follow this story.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

al-azad posted:

For real, the existing wait is pretty much unbearable; but then again, Stokoe and Godzilla as a combo makes so much sense I'm surprised it's not an April Fool's joke.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

al-azad posted:

Guy's gotta eat. I'd imagine that, despite the critical acclaim of Orc Stain, Godzilla will probably pay better...

edit:

So, Scott Pilgrim is getting colored and rereleased in a larger format. I'm excited, though I read a complaint on CA that the colors look flat and would be better done by a professional (like someone who worked at Marvel/DC).

The colorist is Nathan Fairbairn.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 2, 2012

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons

Title: Blue Estate
Publisher: Image Comics
Brief description:A smart parody of pulp detective stories and Chandler Noir. Viktor Kalvachev's Blue Estate is an ensemble piece starring a fat loser PI, a washed-up movie star and his wife, a hitman, a real estate agent, and a mob war between the Italians and Russians. Throw in a couple of potheads and David Hasslehoff and you're now in the Blue Estate state of mind.
Why I like it: The art team consists of six artists. Six artists who provide a different art style every two pages. This best complements the chaotic story, which bounces around a cast of a good two dozen. The story is less like a gritty hardboiled TV series like The Wire and more a hard-R parody of gritty hardboiled detective fiction like The Big Lebowski with enough humor and stoners to keep it rolling. That and the covers are gorgeous. Kalvachev writes and handles both interior and cover art: not only are they beautiful but each element of the cover is a plot point. So issue ten features stoners, a sniper, horse racing, and a White Russian.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: The first eight issues have been collected in a pair of trades, four issues apeice.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is Icon-stuff okay for this thread? There are several Vertigo titles, so what the hell, here we go anyways.

Title: Casanova
Publisher: Image (first two volumes)/Icon (current)
Brief description: Casanova Quinn is a thief, a rogue spy and the son of Cornelius Quinn, head of the globe-trotting spy organization E.M.P.I.R.E. (Extra-Military Police, Intelligence, Rescue, and Espionage). When his twin sister & top E.M.P.I.R.E. agent Zephyr is killed in action, he attends the funeral, fights with his father, breaks the space-time continuum, lands in a different timeline and teams up with the evil Newman Xeno (leader of W.A.S.T.E. - an acronym too dark to be revealed) to infiltrate E.M.P.I.R.E. as a double agent.
Why I like it: First of all, the art is by done by the incredible Gabriel Bá (Umbrella Academy, Daytripper). Super-stylized and hyper, IMO this is his best work and the story matches his style perfectly. Secondly, but honestly matching the greatness of the artwork, is Matt Fraction's writing. I'm a casual fan of his Marvel output, but this is just fantastic, with utterly bizarre characters thrust into even weirder situations than span multiple timelines. Each issue is super-dense without being needlessly confusing. It's amusing without being outright humerous, like an acid-trip version of James Bond. It has everything really; giant mechs, ninjas, cavemen, goofy high-tech contraptions, and a trio of midget buddhas who merge to form a floating head. It's fantastic enough to entertain Superhero fans but so off-kilter it's really aimed more at those disillusioned with the genre. It's a pretty "hip" comic, and while usually that kind of thing bugs me as a reader, I can't get enough of it here. It never feels a step behind the times like so many other embarrassingly "cool" comics do.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: The first volume Casanova: Luxuria is a must, the second and current third volumes build and expand on the craziness found in the first. They're only four issues long each, and available on ComiXology if you read digitally.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've been curious about Casanova, thanks for posting this. Comixology really needs a bookmarking feature.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

arinlome posted:

Title: Locke & Key
Publisher: IDW
Brief Description:Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them, and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all.
Why I Like It: Locke & Key is a unique horror comic that relies on an interesting plot and well developed characters rather than gore and cheap thrills. Joe Hill is one of my favorite authors and he brings the same caliber of writing to his work in comics.
Good jumping on point: Locke & Key has less than 30 issues, but it has a very linear story arc. I recommend starting with issue 1 and going from there.

I just bought the first four hardcover volumes of this and after reading the first one, I'm not really feeling it. It's just, the first volume is named "Welcome to Lovecraft", and there's very little that's actually Lovecraftian about it. But my main problem is that I'm not into the art; everyone has huge chins and the designs are off-putting to me. I'd be able to get over it if it was a good horror story, but I don't think the first volume was at all.

I hope it gets better, at least.

Edit: Read the second volume and it's growing on me. Very imaginative and funny. I still don't think there's much of any sort of horror going on here, though. It reminds me of a Joss Whedon-esque story more than anything.

Edit the second: Volume 3 was outstanding. Just really well-written and gripping. Too bad they threw out most of that stuff in vol. 4; the first half was really dumb, just lame monster-of-the-week crap where nothing of import happened. It got good again about 3/4ths of the way through, but it felt like wasted potential. Man, that's a bummer, because 3 really was fantastic. The collected vol. 5 isn't out 'till June, so I'll have to wait a bit, but I definitely think Locke and Key is worth reading. Just don't expect a consistent masterpiece.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 7, 2012

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey can I get an opinion on The Sixth Gun? It looks like a neat Western series and I'm looking for a All-Star Western replacement.

nakedolphin
Nov 18, 2011

Hot Lava!

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey can I get an opinion on The Sixth Gun? It looks like a neat Western series and I'm looking for a All-Star Western replacement.

Near the beginning of this thread is the reason I even picked up Sixth Gun, and I'm really glad I did. It's pretty glorious, and creative. A truly (well thought out) supernatural western that got me back into the floppies just so I could get my dose.

If you tolerated All-Star Western (which I couldn't) I think you'll love Sixth Gun.

Best to start from the beginning, of course.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just noticed The Fall of Cthulhu from Boom! on Comixology. Anyone know if it's any good? I'd like to read some (actual) Lovecraftian comics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hakkesshu posted:

Just noticed The Fall of Cthulhu from Boom! on Comixology. Anyone know if it's any good? I'd like to read some (actual) Lovecraftian comics.

It's not terrible but it's not super good either. I got it from the library and read it but didn't feel strongly either way.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I just read a collection of Who is Jake Ellis? from my local library and it was really good. I like a good ole' fashioned action espionage story and I'm a really big fan of the coloring in it. It was really neat, it reminded me of Franavilla a lot. I'm pretty sure it was Image, you should read it. Nathan Edmondson and Tonci Zonjic. Really crazy, for something I randomly picked up.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Hakkesshu posted:

I own some of the tpbs, and yeah, it's good enough, but not super spectacular. I find the art to be really off-putting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Title:: Queen & Country
Publisher: Oni Press
Creators: Written by Greg Rucka with a whole slew of artists (there's also a spin-off series, Queen & Country: Declassified written initially by Rucka, then handed off to Antony Johnston)
Brief description: Q&C is a spy thriller series set in Great Britain's SIS that's far more grounded than, say, James Bond. It centers primarily around Tara Chace, a Minder in Special Ops, who perform foreign work - making them the rough counterpart of the US's CIA. It delves into the politics of the operations performed, as well as the fallout. Things don't always go well, as can be expected.
Why I like it: The writing and art are both quite good. Tara's a strong character, as is typical of Rucka's female characters, and the stories are interesting.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: It's actually no longer being produced, however, the full series, plus the spin-off are in print via four Definitive Edition collections that are around $15 each on Amazon. Rucka has also written three novels in the series that are also available.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Has anyone else been reading Glory? It's been a little slow and exposition-y, but it just finished its first arc and the table seems set for some interesting new adventures. And I adore Ross Campbell's art on the series. The third issue in particular is crazy and weird and worth a look.

It's kind of like the Wonder Woman book I always wanted but DC never gave me.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
It has been pretty great. I'd never heard of the character before so I feel like maybe I'm missing parts of the story (although from looking at the art in the Liefield issues I don't care) but it does seem to be setting up something interesting. Her sort of using the dreams of various girls to come into our world (I think that's what's going on?) is a neat way of explaining why people (I think) like heroes in a literal sense (they give us something to aspire to).

And yeah, the art's been fantastic. I think a lot of artists have trouble when they have to draw a woman with muscles, since I've seen a lot who just look like men with breasts attached, but I think Campbell does a good job of keeping her femininity while giving her the muscles she would need to pull of the ridiculous things she does.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I've been reading Brian Wood's Conan, and I feel like he's writing with one hand behind his back. It's exposition-heavy, even for a heroic fantasy work. What saves it is Becky Cloonan's art: her manga-style works best for the intense eyes in the characters.

I've read Wood's Northlanders, and after reading that this series looks uninspired. Maybe Wood just works with his own original material?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The thing to remember, is that he's writing it in Howard's style. If you've ever read the originals (btw, pick up the Centenary Edition on Amazon) you'll notice the similarities.

But yes, the art is gorgeous. This is the best Conan has been since Buesik left it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Soonmot posted:

The thing to remember, is that he's writing it in Howard's style. If you've ever read the originals (btw, pick up the Centenary Edition on Amazon) you'll notice the similarities.

But yes, the art is gorgeous. This is the best Conan has been since Buesik left it.
Well compare it to Red Sonja, and there's a lot more action going on there than in Conan. Eric Trautmann knows how to balance the exposition with the raw visuals and action, but Wood really feels out of his element. I dunno, maybe it's because he's new to adapting Howard.

Speaking of Red Sonja, I haven't seen a new issue since #63. Is it company delay or what?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read Red Sonja so I can't. Really compare the two. The action, though, is only ahalf the reason i read Conan, so i feel that Wood is nailing it. That said, Totally understand where you're coming from.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Oh man, I didn't know Trautmann was on red sonja...time to pick it up.

Also, Glory has been a fun book, and it does seem to have some good room to play.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Title: Atomic Robo
Publisher: Red 5 Comics
Brief description: A robot designed by Nikola Tesla with automatic intelligence heads an elite team of action scientists in world-spanning investigations into the weird and unknown.
Why I like it: Snappy writing from Brian Clevinger (yeah, the 8-bit Theater guy), Scott Wegener's clean, fresh art that all but jumps off the page, a delightfully pulpy take on action and super-science, decent characterization, and legitimate laughs. If you were put equal parts Indiana Jones, Iron Man, and Rocketeer into a machine driven by Tesla coils and possibly a forsaken child, you'd get Atomic Robo.

Stuff like this happens all the time...

...and it's as awesome as it looks.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Volume 1: Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne is a very well put together trade paperback that tells you all you need to know about Robo and his world. A few key stories, some fun shorts, and great bonus material will likely leave you hungry for more.

As an aside, I also picked up Blacksad and Nonplayer recently, and they're both as good as everybody is saying.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Anyone who frequents this forum and doesn't like Robo should be ashamed of themselves.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

choobs posted:

Anyone who frequents this forum and doesn't like Robo should be ashamed of themselves.
That is silly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I miss the robo thread. If I had archives I would steal the old one and make a new one. But I don't know enough to write a good op.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Title: RAGEMOOR

Publisher: Dark Horse

Brief description: Castle Ragemoor stands overlooking the coast, its walls concealing a dark secret. The castle was born three centuries before Christ, its foundations formed from thousands of pagan sacrifices. For those who have made the castle their home, it becomes a prison. For most, it becomes their tomb.

Why I like it: Richard Corben's art really makes this series. Ragemoor looks like it's knitted together from bones and flesh, an organic and very very evil building that hides countless horrors. If you're a fan of Lovecraft or Poe or horror comics or cool art, it's worth checking out.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue 2 came out today and issue 1 is probably going to awful to find in print but Dark Horse digital has it.

Title: Adventure Time!

Publisher: Boom! Studios

Brief description:
Adventure time
Come on grab your friends
We'll go to very distant lands
With Jake the dog
And Finn the Human
The fun will never end
It's adventure time!

Why I like it: Adventure Time is the comic book for the Cartoon Network series of the same name. It's written by Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics fame and it's very funny and cool. It also does probably the most important thing a comic like this can do: it gives cool indie cartoonists a chance to go wild and do something fun. Issue 3 had a backup by Michael Deforge and Meredith Gran from Octopus Pie is doing a miniseries that comes out in July.

But really though, the book is funny and cute and great for all ages.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Wherever I guess. The first "arc" finished last issue so when #4 is probably going to be a good place to start picking it up. The first three issues are also on comixology.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Len posted:

I miss the robo thread. If I had archives I would steal the old one and make a new one. But I don't know enough to write a good op.

Give me your email and a link to the thread, and I'll email you its contents. You'll have to shape up to make a kickass OP, though. The comic deserves it.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Saoshyant posted:

Give me your email and a link to the thread, and I'll email you its contents. You'll have to shape up to make a kickass OP, though. The comic deserves it.

Be sure to mention to upcoming film if you resurrect the thread.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Just wanted to say Adventure Time is a really, really fun comic. I can't recommend it enough. And seriously, dudes, thanks for Fatale. Between that and Saga I can't wait every single month. For an Image comic. Which is silly.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Just wanted to say Adventure Time is a really, really fun comic. I can't recommend it enough. And seriously, dudes, thanks for Fatale. Between that and Saga I can't wait every single month. For an Image comic. Which is silly.

You want silly? Go read the last 4 issues of Prophet and you'll be jonesin' for more. That's an Image comic originally created by Rob loving Liefeld.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Image is really hitting on all cylinders in general these days. Ain't no shame in liking an Image book.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bairfanx posted:

You want silly? Go read the last 4 issues of Prophet and you'll be jonesin' for more. That's an Image comic originally created by Rob loving Liefeld.

I could read a new issue of Prophet every day for the rest of my life. What a great comic. Everyone should be up on this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Saoshyant posted:

jzurcher at kent.edu I'll see what I can do tomorrow. I can't make any promises of the OP it deserves but worst case it can shape up as the thread grows right?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Darth Nat posted:

Image is really hitting on all cylinders in general these days. Ain't no shame in liking an Image book.

Exception: Spawn.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Darth Nat posted:

Image is amazing right now. Prophet, Glory, Spaceman, Hickman books, Fatale, upcoming Morrison book, Saga, plenty of other poo poo I missed. Everything I read from Eric Stephenson makes me feel confident about the brand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Six AM posted:

Image is amazing right now. Prophet, Glory, Spaceman, Hickman books, Fatale, upcoming Morrison book, Saga, plenty of other poo poo I missed. Everything I read from Eric Stephenson makes me feel confident about the brand.
Spaceman is a Vertigo book.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Yeah, it slipped my mind.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Six AM posted:

What's the upcoming GMo book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/28/grant-morrison-image-comics-happy-icon-vertigo-career/

With a cool piece by d00gz.