Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tales Designed to Thrizzle #8 came out last week, and today I was fortunately able to buy the likely single copy from my local shop. I have read half of it, but was at work and could not finish the rest, and then forgot to bring it home so I can't comment on the book in its entirety, but I did enjoy what I had read through the bit with the trains loving and the advertisements, and feel secure in saying that if you have $5 to spare then this book is probably a good purchase, even if it is a bit more expensive than other comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Is Jodorowsky's Metabarons any good? There's an omni coming out next month. What little I've read of The Incal was good, but don't know if the quality extends.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

PrBacterio posted:

I do wonder, why is there so little discussion (ie. basically none whatsoever) of this quite awesome series on SA? I just started reading it a couple of days ago, and while it's not the best comic ever I do like it a lot and would rank fairly high. It seems like a series that would be enjoyed by the audience here and should have its own discussion thread but :shrug:

I read it a bit back and thought it got progressively worse as it went, the art in particular. I felt the decision to have an alternate history on top of magic and on top of grail conspiracies resulted in a lot of largely pointless and uninteresting filler that ground the plot down to a halt. About 2/3s through I got bored enough to stop reading (which takes a lot) and skipped to the end, which pretty much picked up right where I predicted after jumping off.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

How is Alec? I'm considering blind buying the big collection.

Some day I'll try reading it again but I really couldn't get too far into it. The art wasn't doing anything for me (granted this appeared to improve later in the tome and I did love the art in From Hell and few bits of Bacchus I've seen), the era/region didn't resonate with me at all, and it felt like a much less interesting version of the Maggie and Hopie stories from L&R. Maybe I just didn't get far enough, though; the L&R stories were also pretty bad when they had the sci-fi trappings but in that case I knew to push through until it shifted into the LA 80's stories.

For $8 or whatever it's probably worth a gamble, and if you really hate it it's a huge book so you'll be able to start a lot of fireplaces with it, or set boobytraps if you get the HC version.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I really liked Powers back when I read it but I fell off somewhere after the origin story because the time between TPBs got huge and now I don't know where it's at (the FBI?). I'd recommend it, at least.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Literally The Worst posted:

Happy was the best Garth Ennis comic in years and that was kind of the point. It was Morrison doing A Very Garth Ennis Christmas, and it ruled.
Just because it has Darick Robertson and swearing doesn't make it an Ennis book. I thought Happy was pointless and uninteresting with poor plotting and dialogue that managed to make four issues feel like two too many, but if you can defend it then by all means I'd love to read how it's some hidden genius.

Saying it was the best Ennis book at the same time Ennis was putting out Fury Max or sticking the landing on Boys is just baffling.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still think Happy! is a return to Filth-era Morrison more than an Ennis pastiche. Also, it's dope and helped restore some of my love for Morrison after his Batman/Action Comics run.

I'm not seeing how it's like the Filth, We3,or NXE, which is roughly what I'd consider the same period. Maybe elements of the dialog but that would also be out of place given the setting.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Not quite, although I'll probably get things wrong too:

There are four teams, I think it was energy, space, aliens/xenobiology, and whatever Oppenheimer was working on (may have been energy). I think the Kurtz guy is McNamara, but I don't recall the General switching sides as I thought the US Military team was stopped by the captured alien. Oppenheimer "cured" himself but then was killed by Albert Einstein who has somehow escaped from the parallel universe that Albrecht Einstein came from - I don't recall if Albert knew Oppenheimer was the killer twin. Fermi was a spy from the galactic empire that was wiped out early in the series - I think he was supposed to wipe out humanity or something if they became a threat.

I keep hoping for an oversized version like the Chew Omnivore books or the Fear Agent books. Hickman needs to get on board with the future, namely oversized hardcovers catering to me.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll also echo the comments but have made it to issue 10 or so, and that first arc doesn't speed up. At this point if suggest waiting for it to end and checking for opinions (which will unfortunately probably be skewed because those are the people who liked it enough to stick with it) and a sale.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Martello posted:

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm genuinely interested in what makes people think it's a great book. I really wanted to like it, after reading a lot of hype and loving Metabarons, but it was a chore to finish. Maybe I'm missing something.
I find Jodorowsky's writing to be pretty lacking in general in what I've read of his so maybe you just happened to like the Gimenez art more than the Moebius and the more "shouting" storytelling of Metabarons than Incal's,-er quieter storytelling. I thought Before the Incal was pretty terrible because the art just wasn't up to snuff to cover up the writing problems. I'm not sure how much of this is due to translation, though, as I've been reading early Heavy Metal and a lot of it takes a beating when words appear.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on The Red Star? I noticed that it was recently reprinted in HC, so I was wondering if it was worth picking up. I've heard good things about it, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

It's somewhat "of its time". I read the first large-size collection back in 2001 or whenever, and liked it, but in my opinion it now seems more like novelty than anything else. IIRC it had a decent setup but then kinda goes nowhere for the sake of pretty pictures (which, again, seemed novel at the time) and I could be mistaken but I thought the story never actually finished.

It's probably not terrible or anything but if I had to rebuy my collection it would probably get repurchased sometime around when I started rebuying Ultimate X-Men trades.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Has anyone read RASL by Jeff Smith? Given the pedigree I'm a little surprised I don't recall any discussion when it came out. Frankly I thought it was kinda poor (good art, though). The ending leaves a lot of stuff dangling, and not in a good way. The negative reviews I've seen online are kinda worthless because they either complain that the maker of Bone has a book with swearing and brief tittums or lazily/badly complain about the poor characterization of women in the book (which is poor).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Finished the first volume of Letter 44. I'm surprised there isn't more buzz surrounding this series, it's great! Like a neat mashup of the West Wing and 2001/Alien

I kinda like it (read to about issue 8) but it needs to get where it's going and while it partly got there (avoiding spoilers) once it did I stopped caring about the West Wing stuff because it's irrelevant.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

StumblyWumbly posted:

You may want to check out Invisibles by Grant Morrison. It's got some of that plus a lot of magic and madness.

It was a huge book and it still holds a lot for me, but I don't know what it would be like reading it for the first time as an adult.

I read it when I was 20, reread at 27 or so, and then again around 34. It got worse. A lot worse. The first volume is still good but it falls off a cliff early into volume 2. The plot isn't interesting and drags and everything else is trite.

The Filth seemed to get a lot better though.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, maybe spend the 20 bucks for the first 3-4 trades first. Or even the couple for the first, but be aware it starts as way more comedic than the book becomes. The first mini is all "grrrls vs rear end in a top hat dudes" with exaggerated comic violence interludes and sight gags, whereas the later volumes get into organised crime and the sex trade and ninjas like it's loving Daredevil.

I can't tell if that's better or worse because way back when I read the first couple trades (like a decade ago at least) I thought it was "ok, maybe pretty good" but not remotely compelling enough to keep going, plus I had heard that it slowly went downhill.

I will add that I've read the first 20 or so issues of Rachel Rising and consider that to be really mediocre. Just incredible amounts of dawdling both in pacing and what the characters are actually doing - the only reason the main characters aren't all dead/removed seems to be that the villains go into a figurative locked closet for hours/days at a time just to let everyone else do anything. I realize a lot of media does this but it's so much more obvious and poorly written.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Scaramouche posted:

So I just read God Hates Astronauts #6 on a whim with no info about it and I have no idea what's going on. It had:
- Admiral Tiger Eating a Cheeseburger (that is not a description, it is a proper name)
- A Rhino with a mustache called Dr. Professor
- A giant (time travelling?) Robot Giraffe called Time Giraffe
- Some kind of Green Lantern squadron looking equivalent called Star Bears flying around with star rings
- Mr Whorecules

Like is the whole thing like this? Is it a piss take or just monkey cheese throughout, or is it supposed to make sense at some point?
I don't know if the talking animal thing has been explained but it's not outlandish for comics (some of them are supposed to be mad science things). The star bears were explained in an earlier issue and sorta make sense in-universe. In general it's meant to be a comedy pastiche of superhero stuff mixed with some random elements which aren't discarded (NASA exists to prevent hillbillies from flying homemade rocketships off the planet) and everyone generally behaving like total assholes. I think the reason it gets so weird so fast is that random inputs aren't discarded, so by issue 5 you have the main team being led by an unkillable ghost cow head man fighting a 19th century boxer robot.

The closest parallel I can think of would be if the gang from Always Sunny in Philadelphia were superheroes and episodes didn't end with a return to the status quo, so characters like Cricket or the milk brothers became something more than one-offs.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

DrProsek posted:

Yeah I've tried reading Witchblade a few times and I can never get into it because the cheesecake/mysoginistic art just kills any interest I build for it. I'm assured it's pretty good but :shrug:

I think he meant that as "I've got a high tolerance for comicbook cheesecake"? At least I hope :ohdear:

How is the art in Witchblade misogynistic? I've never read it and assumed it has the typical overload of cheesecake typical of Top Cow but this is the first time I've heard that there's a deeper problem.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Senor Candle posted:

Yes my counterpoint is that generally woman have been pretty poorly represented in the world of comics.

Eh, I would argue that the perception will shift significantly if you started reading comics in the last 10 years, particularly if a new reader is focusing on the big 3 and sorting through the best-of 90s Vertigo/and DH. Even back in 2001 or whenever I read Rising Stars I was kinda baffled by the extent of cheesecake and how distracting it was, and that kind of stuff now seems to be largely the domain of Xenoscape and Avatar.

That's not to say things are remotely perfect and I can think of well more than a few problem examples from the majors but barring Land or Cho getting on a book I want I have a tough time thinking of a popular title going anywhere near the uncontextuallized t&a fest that is Top Cow, and that Top Cow is an aberration compared to modern comics.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The final Mind MGMT book came out today so it's the perfect time to start.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think that's a loving awesome pick for The Island. Who would have less of a chance to get their story out there than a Gay/Furry comic creator?
What could be more confrontational to your biases? It's great.

But if it sucks due to artistic failings then it'll just reinforce biases. Plus I'm not sure what exactly a gay furry story is supposed to convey, as I'm assuming the story is about gay human-esque cartoon animals and not actual furries (which might challenge readers). Should Island have an issue where Jim Balent gets to tell his story of huge titty bumblebee ghost vampire vixens so people can have their biases against whatever subculture likes Tarot is challenged?

Zachack fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 3, 2016

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hedrigall posted:

God Hates Astronauts

I enjoy this but the humor is very specific in style and you may dislike it for no particular reason.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought it was a fake out of sorts He had to conquer the human half of their world or the demons would do it anyway but didn't want to actually kill her so he fake killed her for appearances. I would agree it all resolves really quickly but the book rushed to a conclusion due to cancellation.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought Wytches was decent, not great. The series does stop on a "to be continued " but could sorta stand on its own. Art was pretty good, the witches were decently horrific, but without spoiling I didn't get a sense of why things were the way they were other than "because", and that's a bit of a tough sell given what's revealed.

I would have said similar albeit a bit more positive things if the first American Vampire trade was all there was. Both read like setup.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-O posted:

I don't know if anyone else is reading Letter 44, but uh... that escalated rather quickly.

I stopped a bit after WW3 kicked up and the astronauts found out that the aliens were going to save only the astronauts from an asteroid but the humans convinced them to help... I think?, and the reason I fell off mostly is that the first spoiler I found kinda dumb and uninteresting, particularly since it's a big topic that can't really be covered well in ~12 pages per issue. Did that ever wind down? I guess about there is where I decided to read the whole thing when it's done.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If you like Hellboy you will probably like BPRD, and there are 5 hardcover collections of that which include the first major storyline and prequel stuff. After that the next arc was pretty good but I felt the art got shakier to the point of distraction. I think that story ended but I'm not sure how as Hell on Earth didn't seem to have a way "out".

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Shovelmint posted:

Rat Queens does more Rat Queeny things. It was quite entertaining, and featured a short one-shot side story by Patrick Rothfuss that was also entertaining, both art and storywise. New Copperhead turns things on their tails (heh).

Image is going to hurt me in the :tenbux: next week, but I'm looking forward greatly to more Low and Curse Words. Glad I'm not buying the new Sex Criminals, since I love the look of my first deluxe HC, I'm gonna try and stick to only getting the series in that format, as awesome as it is. Any idea how far out from the issues being released they usually announce those editions?

Deluxes, if there are any, seem to show up roughly after three trades are collected, but that also may be creator-dependent. I generally watch Amazon's "customers also like" scroller because it does a good job (for me) showing hardcovers from like publishers, and the first Low Deluxe showed up very recently for October, so whatever issue (or trade) just got released would be about the pattern.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've never even heard of Ether, but I read all of Mind MGMT last year and absolutely loved it. The art took some getting used to, but it does seem tailor-made for an excellent TV adaptation.

I love Mind MGMT but even in the wake of Legion I can't really see how Mind MGMT would work on TV without losing the aggressive reader interaction with the paneling, and while the core story is good it's also a bit light to make an entire series out of.

Like if it was a TV show it would need to be a series of commercials. Or embedded within a PBS fundraising drive, where the fundraiser elements also, somehow, conveyed the same effect as the MGMT manual.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

site posted:

Okay so I had stormwatch on my list of stuff that had been recommended here at one point or another and I just want to double check it was good cuz the xxxtreme 90s image art and dialogue is uhhh making me wonder whether I had made a mistake

Are you reading the Ellis run or earlier issues?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

scary ghost dog posted:

does anyone here read bprd....its on its conclusive arc and it, along with hellboy, kind of represent the platonic ideal of serialized comic book storytelling

I enjoy it a great deal but stopped reading near the end of Hell on Earth and am waiting on hardcovers. That said, I didn't care for a specific artist that came on during HoE and I'm living in ignorance if he's still on the book now.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I finished the Complete Phonogram by Gillen/McKelvie the other day. My take on it was that it was mostly just a comic about people who really like music, with some specific musical tastes and a sorta-specific timeframe. The magic stuff came across as a somewhat iffy-executed metaphor for a clique of judgmental people and how they interact with each other, and how it how they (barely) grow as people, because a literal take on the magic just doesn't seem worthwhile, even with The Immaterial Girl kinda leaning harder into it.

I thought it was ok. I kinda got the feeling that it wanted to say more (or thought it was) but I'm unsure if I was missing something, and if anyone has thoughts, I'd love to hear them. It definitely feels like a sort of proto-Wic+Div. I probably enjoyed The Singles Club the most although as a 40 year old who wasn't into Britpop in England it kinda bounced off of me at times.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I still have one last Hell on Earth omni collection to read but is that a good stopping point? War on Frogs clearly ends on a to be continued... But does Hell on Earth generally "solve" things?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

On a totally different note, can someone explain Prison Pit? I've read the whole thing, and generally enjoyed a ridiculous hyperviolent angry teen scribble notebook comic, but was there some deeper symbolism or metaphor I was missing when the main character starts jacking acid cum?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Covok posted:

Bad Idea will be revealed a year later as a performance art piece on how not to run a company in the modern day.

It's literally in the name, all they have to do is edit the Simpsons sign tapping bus driver image to answer every question.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I've only read through Hell on Earth so I don't know how BPRD ends but I thought Hellboy in Hell was a great ending. It's not happy but even without the BPRD stuff it's kinda inevitable - the only "happy" ending for humanity is one where everything in hell ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Jedit posted:

Hell no, Die is complete at 20 issues and should remain that way. The "dangling loose ends" are just a recognition that real stories never end.

Recommend away, though, it's very good - maybe even better than WicDiv.

I'm not going to get out of my chair to verify but I'm pretty sure the deluxe hardcover says volume 1.