Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Title:: Beasts of Burden

I keep meaning to pick this up, because the Hellboy/Beasts of Burden crossover was one of my favorite comics of recent memory. I usually think crossovers like that are kind of hokey, but that one was done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I read all of BPRD in rapid succession over about a week one time. Once you get started, it's really hard to stop. I'm a little disappointed to hear that the hardcovers won't collect 1946/1947 though. I think 1946 is one of my favorite BPRD stories, and Varvara is one of my favorite characters.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

These hardcovers are nice and the price point is good, but I was really hoping for Library Editions of BPRD like we get for Hellboy. Does anyone know if that's in the cards eventually?

I love the Library Editions, but I almost prefer the BPRD hardcovers just because you get three regular tpbs for a pretty low price as opposed to just two in an oversized format, which I can take or leave.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I became aware of Ross Campbell thanks to Glory, and I've been kind of interested in exploring his other work. I really enjoy how he actually draws female characters with more body types than "supermodel" and "perfect male fantasy." Is any of his creator-owned stuff worth checking out?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Just noticed The Fall of Cthulhu from Boom! on Comixology. Anyone know if it's any good? I'd like to read some (actual) Lovecraftian comics.

I own some of the tpbs, and yeah, it's good enough, but not super spectacular. I find the art to be really off-putting.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Has anyone else been reading Glory? It's been a little slow and exposition-y, but it just finished its first arc and the table seems set for some interesting new adventures. And I adore Ross Campbell's art on the series. The third issue in particular is crazy and weird and worth a look.

It's kind of like the Wonder Woman book I always wanted but DC never gave me.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Image is really hitting on all cylinders in general these days. Ain't no shame in liking an Image book.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I haven't read any of the old Glory stuff either and I enjoy the new book. The first issue is basically a primer on who Glory is and a brief recap of her history. The first two issues are kind of slow, but #25 is where things get crazy. I enjoy that they're getting right to this big epic battle, since the popular thing in most comics would be to draw it out as long as possible.

I read it mostly for the art, but it's a really love it or hate it style, it seems like. Glory is basically "what if Wonder Woman had a child with a panzer tank."

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Here's the artist's deviantart page for his Glory art, which I think gives a pretty good idea of what the character and art is like.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I haven't read Supreme or really checked it out, but I think the reason it doesn't get talked about as much is that it doesn't seem like a radical reinvention like Prophet or Glory. Those books have unusual creative teams doing unusual things with some old, forgotten superhero properties. Just superficially, that doesn't seem to be the case with the new Supreme. And since I don't have any experience with Supreme, I don't really care to read about the return of the original, dickish Supreme.

I could be completely wrong about it, though.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I thought the latest issue of Glory was pretty fun in a "completely gratuitous ultra-violence" sort of way. I kind of wish there was more Glory in her own book, but since I'm not sure she's really portrayed as the protagonist, it works out I suppose. And she bites a dude's face off. That was kind of cool.

Every issue I have a new favorite character. This time, it was Shark Man in a Jetpack.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

This week's Glory was everything I could have hoped for. We finally get Glory suiting up and punching everything in sight into a fine red mist. And it continues the trend of increasingly crazy creatures. Last month we had a shark in a jetpack. This month, we are introduced to Glory's pet cat. Who has bat wings and shoots lasers from its eyes.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

People really don't talk about Glory enough. Everything about it is great and while I love Prophet I think I'm warming to Glory more. It probably helps that I really like Ross Campbells art and the dude draws Glory like a tank. Crossing over with Saga talk Fiona Staples drew some Glory fanart the other day.

I feel like it's flying under the radar probably because the main character is not to most peoples' sensibilities. The world is just not ready for Wonder Woman combined with the Incredible Hulk.

But Campbell's really drawing the crap out of it. I love that he went completely bonkers with the alien designs instead of just sticking to one stock design like most comics would. And he managed to kind of endear me to the main villain just with that one panel of him sitting in a lawn chair in swimming trunks while the invasion is going on.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Well, Liefeld is helping to bankroll the project, so I don't think they could really go "gently caress this! We don't want to be associated with your old properties at all!"

The original justification I read was that they wanted to differentiate the Extreme relaunch from the DC reboot in that they're not technically throwing out the old stories. But in the case of Prophet and Glory, the new stuff is so different that they might as well have. I mean, can you imagine all those awful swimsuit issues having happened with gigantic human tank Glory instead?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

So it's sounding like my beloved Glory is not long for this world--apparently the price is being increased to $4 because otherwise it'd have to end prematurely. And Joe Keatinge seems to be implying on Twitter that it's going to end soon regardless.

Everyone that likes offbeat takes on superheroines should check it out, since the first (only?) collection comes out next month. It's criminal that crappy stories with crappy artwork put out by DC or Marvel sell ten times more than this book.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

bairfanx posted:

I've got a busy couple of days ahead of me, but I'll see if I can find some images to show you what I'm talking about. I really enjoy Campbell's style a lot, but there really seem to be pages that he puts more effort into drawing than others.

I think you can find some wonky panels in every issue, but the same can be said of almost any comic and artist. I still think it's really good and a refreshing style for a superhero comic. And he's really been going crazy with the monster designs in the last few issues.

I had a feeling that the book wouldn't last passed the 12th issue, but I just hope it actually gets there now. And I wish it could have found an audience like Prophet. It's not perfect, but I don't demand perfection.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I wasn't blown away by the storyline, since it's just mostly standard Godzilla shenanigans, but who really bought this for the story?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I don't think Image does ads in the middle in general? At least none of the Image books I read (Glory, some Prophet, and some Saga) have them. Likewise, none of the BPRD or Hellboy stuff from Dark Horse has ads in the middle of the story. I think they're mainly a DC and Marvel thing, but I could be wrong.

edit: beaten by like a gazillion hours.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

So Glory returns from hiatus today with #29, which sets up her evil sister. The weird thing about this issue is that Glory's sister curses a lot, but they feel the need to censor it. Then later in the book, there are two scenes with explicit nudity. Comics have a weird sense of what is acceptable and what isn't sometimes.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I liked it well enough, but yeah, the faces were a little wonky. And no one's really been able to capture Varvara's creepiness as well as the guy who did 1946.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I think Glory's sister is basically supposed to be "what if a '90s character was created today." I mean, Ross Campbell said he came up with her codename Bloodshadow because it sounded like one of those ridiculous names from '90s Liefeld books.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Glory was real good this week, but either Joe Keatinge or Ross Campbell has an unhealthy obsession with arm-related violence.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

The book starts with Glory #23, and nothing before that is needed. The first couple issues are basically "here's Glory, here's a brief version of her history, and here's where we're going with her." The first few issues are slow, but at least read to #25 since that's where things get interesting and you'll know if you want to keep reading or not.

Glory is probably about what you'd get if DC put out a mature readers Wonder Woman title. And it's got wonderful Ross Campbell art. If there's one advantage it has over the Wonder Woman title, it's that the art is way more consistent and I think necessary to the book's tone.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

There's a big interview over at ComicsAlliance with Joe Keatinge and Ross Campbell about the end of Glory, including the description of an absolutely insane aborted story arc about Glory owning a cow farm.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Is Glory ending or is a new team taking over?

As far as the current team knows, it's ending.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

At least he doesn't seem to have much of a desire to work for DC or Marvel in the first place and is pretty happy to just do his creator-owned stuff (financial issues aside). Now, if Marvel offered him a Sleepwalker or Marrow title, I imagine he might reconsider...

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

To my fellow Glory fans: don't buy the Comixology version of #31 (yet, at least), since for some reason, they only uploaded half the pages.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Okay, now that I got a print copy of Glory, I can say that Nanaja is the sensational character find of 2012.

And the final page made me :lol:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Did anyone else read the new Brian Wood Star Wars book? I thought it was pretty good. It's got a little too much prequel-esque boring space politics and not quite enough fun space adventure at this point, but it's the first issue so I'll give it a pass. It's just good to see a Star Wars comic starring characters I actually care about instead of Random Jedi #2764.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, I listened to a podcast where Wood basically said he was trying to bring a more emotional edge to the characters, but it's still kind of weird to see Luke Skywalker trying to bare his soul about the horrors of war to Leia. This is the guy who got over the death of his aunt and uncle in about twenty seconds in the movies.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

The EU is mostly ridiculous and I'd much rather read the fairly pointless adventures of Luke, Han, and Leia than about one of the sixteen million Jedi from six thousand years before the movies anyone cares about or whatever.

Again, my only real complaint with the new book is that it's not really the swashbuckling space adventure with the tone of the original movies that I was expecting, at least so far.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

No, which is why I was hoping this comic would do that, since it's just titled "Star Wars" and is a return to the classic characters and classic time period.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Hellboy in Hell has been really good, though some people might be frustrated with how slow it is. Having Mignola back on art is wonderful.

I haven't really been feeling BPRD since The Long Death. I've been picking up 1948 since I love the other two "history of the BPRD" books, but this one just hasn't been doing it for me. The glacial pace in most things BPRD is starting to get to me, and it doesn't really have the wonderful art and scenery that Hellboy can fall back on when it moves at a snail's pace.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Glory #32, that final page... :hellyeah:

Also, apparently the Question escaped from the New 52 and has taken refuge in the Extreme universe.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I'm just sad that we'll never get more adventures of Nanaja. Actually, I'd definitely read a sitcom-style series about Glory's dysfunctional family. Everybody Loves Glory.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

So, Glory #33. Never has there been such a combination of :black101: and :qq:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in #34 given that Henry, Belesava, and Riley are all dead. And I like the visual at the end where when Glory realizes what she's done, she shrinks down to the smallest we've seen in the series.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

So Glory ended with #34 today, and I thought it was a satisfying/sad/sweet ending, if that makes any sense. I was pretty impressed how they took seemingly throwaway scenes from the first issue and told the stories behind them in flashbacks in this issue. And I guess I understand why they're choosing to end it, but I can't help but be really disappointed that we'll probably never get the amazing adventures of pink mohawk Glory and her wacky family in a Spaceballs-esque flying Winnebago.

Also, there's a weird post-credits scene addressing one of the dangling plot threads that introduces a connection to Prophet.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, that was a great final issue. It's not often you see fiction try to portray death as an ultimately positive thing and it made me feel a lot better about it ending. Kind of reminded me of The Little Match Girl in a weird way.

Yeah, one of my favorite details is that even the bad guys that Glory killed earlier in the series are there in the afterlife, just chilling and eating tons of food. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I know there's a rumor that Glory is going to show up in Prophet, mainly from a time when a fake Brandon Graham followed by a real Brandon Graham showed up on 4chan, so it's a little bit suspect. But given all the other Extreme characters showing up, it's certainly plausible.

I would kill for her to still be tooling around with her family in the winnebago ten thousand years later. :allears: