Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Don't trust Brian K. Vaughan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Stalin was historically extremely paranoid. His purges and show trials got rid of a lot of people in both the army and political spheres who could even remotely attempt to question or threaten him.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

fadam posted:

Without mega spoilers, can anyone confirm if things eventually start working out for the good guys in Uber: Invasion lol? I just finished the first volume and I loved it but dang I was hoping (probably, foolishly) for at least a small win for the Allies.

I would say the Allies definitely do get some wins, especially lately, but keep in mind that this is a story where probably everyone will be hurt even if the villains end up losing harder in the long run.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Invincible was as much of an extended soap opera as most superhero comics except with less inhibitions about gore and so on, thus the story can get ridiculously convoluted and lose some steam at certain points, but the characters were usually fairly strong for most of the run. It also ended pretty well, which is a bonus.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Crossed is not good.

Quite an understatement.

I will say Simon Spurrier did write some good stuff for that line, namely Wish You Were Here, but most of the other works are either bad or gross. Or both.

Even that book is not for the faint of heart though. Big fans of zombie fiction and slasher movies might have less issues with the subject matter.

wielder fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 28, 2019

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I haven't read what Alan Moore wrote for it, but I guess that would be expected of him too. You can find some good to great creators in the weirdest places.

Like, say, Jonathan Hickman on God is Dead. That was a thing too.

Jedit posted:

The subject matter of Crossed isn't zombie movies, it's rape. Burn it on a fire, and for preference lock up Jacen Burrows because I have some deep suspicions about that man.

That's also true. I wasn't recalling enough about how far it goes. Probably because I haven't thought of this in what feels like years. Which was for the best.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

At least it means you don’t need to strap in for a goddawful BKV ending for a while yet.

Indeed. I'd never accuse BKV of being a bad writer, but his endings can be hit or miss. I still think Y was a mixed bag on that front. Hopefully he finds a way to end Saga that doesn't feel as rushed and awkward as that one.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

This is indeed supposed to be the conclusion of the farm storyline, according to Lemire himself, but the Black Hammer universe will certainly continue.

Personally, I'd argue the main point of Black Hammer was always more about the emotional journey of these characters rather than the narrative itself. The original mystery was the initial hook, yes, but it didn't take too long for us to learn the gist of the secret. After that was done, the end could be seen coming.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

IUG posted:

Well for me, I would sum up the emotional journey of these people as "miserable". As in, they struggled and suffered so much, and for no reward. Abraham got the closest to the good ending. Barbarian as he got to finally be out, but maybe so long he's just human and still hides a huge part of himself? Gale never got to grow up, just got Sherlock dues ex'ing in at the last second. Weird wasn't even shown I think, and Dragonfly looked like she's still isolated. Talky Walky got reduced to a doll? They're all mind wiped to not even remember who they really are. It's not very satisfying.

I suppose we can spin all of those as either positive or negative outcomes. It's more of a subjective judgment. They're not perfect solutions, I can agree, but the value would be in the fact they are now entirely voluntary roles rather than imposed upon them. Btw, Lemire did say we'll be hearing about Weird later. Which is rather fitting, I suppose.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I am actually glad they managed to end Invincible properly, though my estimate of filler content would be lower (like 30-40 issues that weren't really needed).

Y: The Last Man was briefly mentioned...it's a great book with a good ending, but there's a couple of things in the very last issue that never felt quite right for me. It made me wish they had added like an extra issue or two to do a little more showing and a little less telling, to put it in the least spoiler-y way possible.

wielder fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Mark Russell is writing a miniseries about cereal monsters because of course he is.

https://twitter.com/Manruss/status/1666845947278811136?t=cyt8cdcSVJNIxhzXwiJr7A&s=19

Okay, this is going to be much better than it has any right to be.