Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue #1 on comixology! That's also the only jump on point. And the only issue. That was published in April of last year. :sigh:

In fairness there is a good reason for that, Nate Simpson broke the collarbone of his drawing arm after falling off his bike and I think he only recently started drawing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

friendo55 posted:

Just a quick question.
With The Massive #3 out last week and Saga #6 out today - both are at the end of their particular story arcs.

Is there a long break between each arc? I don't want to have to wait like 6 months before the next issue is released - it's hard enough waiting month-to-month!

There's a two month break for Saga so that they don't have to use any fill-in artists. Saga #7 should be out in November.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Image really seem to know what they're doing when it comes to digital comics, giving away the first issue to get people hooked? That's brilliant.I don't know why Marvel or DC don't do this, I can easily see myself buying some trades if I like these #1s

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
You skipped the letters page? The Saga letters page is amazing, you should go back and read them.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Kieron Gillen's latest Decompressed podcast with Steven Sanders got me wondering, how good was Our Love is Real? I remember when it came out people were raving about it and it sold out pretty quickly so I was wondering whether I should pick it up from comixology? I really like Sanders' art (goat Beast 4lyfe) but not so much Humphries' writing, of which I've only read his Ultimates.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
ODY-C by Fraction and Ward sounds pretty cool so I'm excited to see what that looks like.

Also, I wonder what Millar means when he says a “Marvel Universe for the 21st Century,”. I mean it's not like there isn't a Marvel universe in the 21st Century, maybe he's going to do a crossover of all his Millar World books.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
gently caress Sex Criminals, I can't get the word "Cumworld" out of my head.

It's a fantastic book and I'm loving every second of it.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Did anyone else pick up The Midas Flesh? I thought it was pretty fun although it didn't really progress past what was already known about the series through interviews with Ryan North. I'll definitely get the second issue though, just to see where it goes.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

CaptainApathyUK posted:

How many unsubtle musical references does it make? I say this as a fan of their work, and in the knowledge that it was the actual premise of Phonogram, but gently caress me was some of Marvel Boy's music adoration in Young Avengers jarring.

Almost none, Bowie gets name dropped and I think that's it.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

A Tin Of Beans posted:

(Part of me wonders what the rest of the world is up to while Death & co are faffing about with the Message in the sorta-US, but I know it doesn't really matter.)

You're in luck, in October we're getting the one-shot East of West: The World

quote:

A STAND ALONE, all-encompassing look at the wider world of EAST OF WEST. Part atlas, part encyclopedia, part timeline, and part apocrypha, EAST OF WEST: THE WORLD is the must-have one-shot companion to the spellbinding series.
NOTE: EAST OF WEST: THE WORLD will contain pivotal plot and character info that will not be in the regular series...so don't miss out!
The Apocalypse is illuminated in EAST OF WEST: THE WORLD.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
In news I didn't think would ever happen, the second issue of Nonplayer will come out in May.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Hedrigall posted:

Any thoughts about The Midas Flesh? As soon as I heard about it, I asked my boyfriend for the first volume for Christmas. It's Ryan North, dinosaurs and space opera! Looks incredible.

If you're a fan of Ryan North then you should like it. It's very consistent with his usual tone, which I guess isn't surprising as its premise is based on a Dinosaur Comic joke. The characters are all likable and it's a very enjoyable read.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Spire by Si Spurrier and Jeff Stokely is really good and I recommend picking up the first issue today.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Gaz-L posted:

The cover image for the new Brian Lee O'Malley thing has me thinking he should probably just always draw his own stuff, because that poo poo's gross in a naturalistic style.

I think that he and Hung want the allergies the main character has to look gross, it would look too cartoony and cute in O'Malley's art style.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Cameron painted Warhammer models exactly like I used to (terribly) which I liked.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Norns posted:

Tokyo Ghost continues to be awesome.

Does it? I dropped it after the first issue, has it improved since then?

Or is it a case where if I didn't like the first issue I won't like what follows?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I didn't like the whole "people are addicted to their screens and devices", I understood it as part of the plot but the lead character's inner monologue about it just felt a little preachy.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Phonogram volume 3 didn't speak to me as much as Volume 2 did but I still enjoyed it and I appreciated the issue we got that focused on the volume 2 characters.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Vaughan always jokingly says that he want it to last one issue long than The Walking Dead. I certainly don't think the end is in sight anytime soon for Saga.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Seven to Eternity had a good first issue. I think the main selling point is Opena's art but the world that he and Remender have created seems interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Roth posted:

The recap at the beginning of Sex Criminals was phenomenal.

And much needed, without it I would have been totally lost due to how long it's been.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I felt bad when the Nonplayer guy said on Twitter that because he's taken so long to make the comic all the interesting things he has to say have already shown up in stuff like Westworld and Black Mirror.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Did anyone pick up Paradiso this week? I was tempted to give it a try but ultimately decided against it and was wondering if I'd missed out.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I Hate Fairyland ended. I think it was either on the verge of outstaying its welcome or maybe already had but throughout I did enjoy Skottie Young's art.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I need to re-read Wicdiv too, I think I've misunderstood what's happening in the last few issues.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The synopsis for Die makes it sound like something I wouldn't normally be interested in but I trust the creative team so I'll definitely check it out.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
A Black Hammer TV show and film were previously announced through Legendary Entertainment.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I want to do a re-read of East of West too now that it's all over. It ending with me feeling positive about the whole thing but there are definitely parts I don't quite remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I don't know if there is a dedicated Walking Dead thread several pages deep, it feels like the sort of thing that would have existed at one point, but Clementine Book One by Tillie Walden was really good. I think that already being invested in the title character via the Telltale games certainly adds to the experience but for the most part it still works even if you're new to the character.