Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Title:: BPRD
Publisher: Dark Horse
Brief description: Spinning out of the events of Hellboy: Conqueror Worm, BPRD follows the events of the extraordinary and normal workers of the Beuro of Paranormal Research and Defense. The series follows Abe Sapien (fish man), Liz Sherman (pyrokinetic), Roger (humunculus), Johann Krauss (a spirit in a special suit) and Kate Corrigan take on the things that go bump in the night.

Over the course of the title they've taken on plagues of Frogs, subteranian human, steampunk Victorians, Lovecraftian nightmares, inter-dimensional Dukes, Wendigos, Cultists and a multitude of men with delusions of grandeur.

Why I like it: For a title that's all about weird people facing even stranger monstrocities, what makes BPRD so good is the human element. The horror and terror is just as human as it is monstrous. Like Hellboy, there's always the question of what makes someone human. This is an ensemble cast, and each character definitively grows and changes for better or worse over the course of the series.
The entire series is constantly building towards something big. The apocalypse is coming and has been coming and it's unsure whether or not the BPRD can actually stem the tide of doom brought by the Frogs, or whatever else lurks out there. The dread and tension is built continually, whether it's mistrust within the team or surrounding circumstances, you always have the feeling that at any moment all hell is going to break loose.
Also Guy Davis just knocks the art out of the park.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Dark Horse has just recently been releasing hardcovers aimed at collecting the entire series (I think barring 1946/1947) into four inexpensive hardcovers. So far they've released volume 1 and 2, with volume 3 coming out very soon. The first volume is around four hundred pages of comics for around 15 dollars, which is a real steal and a perfect place to start if you've already read Hellboy. If not, start with Hellboy: Seed of Destruction and continue until Conqueror Worm- then go into BPRD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

choobs posted:

I had read BPRD Hollow Earth (which was good) and the various oneshots that Mignola wasn't directly involved in (which were ok at best) but they didn't measure up to Hellboy. From Plague of Frogs on (which Mignola was directly involved in) though, it has been just as good and occasionally better than HB.

That is one of the problem with the Plague of Frogs stuff. I admit the Soul of Venice (the second miniseries of BPRD stories) is probably the weakest just because it's mainly just one and done stories about the BPRD in general. Once the war of the frogs actually gets heated up is when the story gets into full gear. (around volume 2) Volume three has some of my favorite stories, the Universal Machine, Garden of Souls and Killing Ground which really fleshes out a lot of the characters.

Also everyone should read Hellboy. Everyone. At least up until Mignola stops doing art. And then read all the Hellboy in Mexico stuff just because it's great.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Hopefully 1946/1947 will be collected in a nice hardcover seperate from the regular BPRD stuff. I liked them a lot too, but unfortunately they do stick out when it comes to the general overall flow of the story. They are great at fleshing out the universe though and are extremely lovely to look at.

On that note, are they ever doing 1948? I heard there might have been plans about that but I've really heard next to nothing about it. This just might be me misreading something though so I'm not really sure if it was ever planned in the first place.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

fritz posted:

Good Jumping On Point Just read any of them, jesus, it's not a series or anything. My favorites are The Last Musketeer and The Iron Wagon. (I could have sworn he did a 39 Steps adaptation but I must be confusing him with someone else)

My favorite Jason has to be Why Are you Doing this?

It's his take on the Hitchcockian suspense story about a man who witnesses a murder and is soon drawn into a conspiracy. It's got all the classic Jason ticks- the excellent (if sometimes bizarre dialogue), the slow burning character building, and the very subtle anthropomorphic art. Really worth a read if you enjoy Jason or old Hitchcock movies it's certainly worth a shot.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

bairfanx posted:

So, I said I was going to talk about King City and then promptly forgot to. No matter, though, because I did anyway, over at Comics Bulletin.

If you haven't read it, you really owe it to yourself to read this book. It'll make you laugh and cry. It's over 400 pages for $20. You're going to have a hard time beating 20 pages on the dollar anywhere else, and this stuff is pure gold.

It's 10 bucks if you pick it up through Amazon! Seriously though, King City is some magnificent stuff. The sheer amount of stupid puns, weird world building, and fun ideas he packs into those 400 pages make it completely worth checking out. If anyone's on the fence just give it a shot. Graham is one of the most inventive fresh talents out there right now.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Not really sure which thread this goes in but IDW is going to be doing a Godzilla series called Godzilla: Half-Century War that will be written and drawn by James Stokoe in August. His style is just perfect for Godzilla.

Click for panel-breaking beauty.

I haven't cared about Godzilla in years but if it all looks like this I'll definitely be picking it up.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Title: The Underwater Welder

Publisher: Topshelf Books

Team: Jeff Lemire

Brief Description: Jeff Lemire brings us another Canadian character study, this time it's like Essex County by the way of the Twilight Zone. Jack Joseph is an underwater welder who one day has a brush with something on the bottom of the ocean that he just can't explain.

Unfortunately it doesn't come out until August (they were selling early copies at Heroescon this weekend), but it's certainly worth checking out when it actually drops.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

I enjoy Hellboy, though the later stuff is a LOT better than the early stuff. But the real good stuff comes in the BPRD books after Hellboy leaves.

Fake Edit: No, I'm not sure the spoiler was necessary, but better safe than sorry.

Real Edit: So I just worked my way up to The Garden, one of the Abe Sapien books, and in the letter column in the comic book it's confirmed that the Baltimore and BPRD books take place in different settings.

Ah, well, they're still fantastic, both of them.

Oh man you're only up to Garden of Souls? You have some really, really good stuff to come from BPRD. Basically it's all uphill from here.

Martello, I really enjoyed Hellboy in Hell. It took me an issue to get used to the much slower pacing, but it's great to see Mignola just do his thing and draw whatever it is he wants to draw. The Three Golden Whips was probably one of my favorite one-off issues of last year.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Blacksad is good because they are all self contained stories. And also it's great to look at.

Of the other comics you've got up there, I'd say give Manhattan Projects a try if you like dark humor and crazy sci-fi. Sex Criminals is hilarious. The Unwritten is a really tight story if you're into stories about stories.

e) I just realized that I'm an idiot and completely misinterpreted that.

Dr. Hurt fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 30, 2014

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I just blazed through Southern Bastards and my only complaint about the series is that issue six isn't out yet. I have no idea why I waited this long to get on the Southern Bastard train.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

There is a little thing called Lost Girls that I would totally give anyone grief for purchasing.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

chime_on posted:

See, that's hosed up to me. If I want to read Lost Girls (and indeed, I kind of do), I don't need someone projecting THEIR hangups about art or sexuality or whatever onto me.

Grief is taking it a little far but folks should probably know what they are getting into going into it. I was more responding to Candle's "How can you judge someone for getting something written by Alan Moore" which I feel totally overlooks some of his lesser works.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Question: Does anyone know what the deal is with Elfquest? I've seen it at the library for years and all I know is it's been around forever and has elves in it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I was lucky to be able to find Round 2 at my LCBS. Copra really is just Fiffe's fanfiction of 80's Suicide Squad, Dr. Strange, and the Punisher but I mean that as the highest compliment.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Yeah MGMT was great. I'm having trouble remembering a comic I was reading at the same time, it was as almost Miyazaki like, but way more adult, written and drawn by a dude that used to do reeeeaally adult comics. It involved a dude with a werewolf netherparts? It really is better than my description sounds.

Also well did Prophet wrap up? There was so much amazing build-up in that comic.

It sounds like you are thinking about multiple warheads?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I hope they drop all of my FAVORITE WIZARD SWEARS in Curse Words.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

In my opinion his best stuff is Criminal and Gotham Central. I like his other cape stuff, but those just really hold up.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Webcomic Talk:
Kill Six Billion Demons is cool as hell and the amount of effort the artist puts into it is out of sight.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

RevKrule posted:

You're not wrong but every arc is a different story with different characters.

But all existing in the same universe and they all build the world in minor ways.

e) or in some cases like Lawless and The Sinners, featuring the same main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

And remember the the BPRD Plague of Frogs Omnibi are your friends. The first collection is a bit weak, primarily because 2 out of 3 of the collected series (Hollow Earth and Soul of Venice)are mostly anthologies by a variety of different artists set in the world of Hellboy, but once the actual Plague of Frogs starts going it becomes just as good as Hellboy.