Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is anyone else reading Highest House?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

The new creators on Archie are Nick Spencer and Marguerite Sauvage and it's taking up legacy numbering, starting with issue #700.
https://www.newsarama.com/40723-archie-welcomes-new-creators-700-legacy-numbering.html

So, who's going to be tortured psychologically first?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

On the one hand: for gently caress's sake.

On the other: if it lets them get to the point where they can finish up the story without taking three months off every six issues, I'll cope.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Anyone know what the status of The Autumnlands is?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't know how anyone can stand to read The Metabarons. "Oh, do not stop telling the story now, I just totally did a robot sex wee!" :fuckoff:

Chew's not bad. I probably wouldn't have got into it if I hadn't been hanging around with Layman on Mark Millar's forums a lot at the time. He is good bloke though, buy his books.

Paper Girls I will second the sentiment of "if you liked Stranger Things", but I think it's falling into the same trap as Saga of Vaughan spending too long scratching his balls in lieu of advancing the plot.

I think I need to reread Echo and decide if I want to keep the omnibus. I'm clearing bookshelves and have to be merciless. On which note, if anyone is in the UK and willing to make an offer for Sandman 29-75 including Special #1 signed by Mark Buckingham, message me and I will make a market thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Wicked and the Divine 1373AD is out, and it all but confirms a theory I've had for a while.

Minerva incarnates as a child because she becomes a vessel for Ananke if Ananke dies. Then she spends the next 90 years getting old again.

Also the story gives away a hell of a lot about the metaplot, so don't read it if you haven't read at least as far as Imperial Phase.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I just finished Saga volume 9 and an shocked that the series is on hiatus. I .want it seems like the next volume will be the final one.

I can't see six issues wrapping up everything. I think they've taken the year so they can complete 12 or 18 issues then publish the last stretch without breaks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

There's a Wicked and Divine one-shot out next week. The solicits say it's a break before the start of the final arc, so that's pretty much a confirmation that there are six or twelve issues left to go.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I figured Gillen straight-up saying the next arc is the final one was confirmation enough, but sure.

I didn't actually see him say that. Last I heard we knew it was close, but not necessarily here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

It was in his letter at the end of the last issue.

And I'm a trade waiter on this book, so I didn't see it. Thanks for the info.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

At this point, what does Dark Horse have left? Hellboy and a bunch of new stuff?

Presuming they lose the Alien/Predator license also with Disney buying Fox, that is . It's weird to think back to ten years ago when Dark Horse was pretty much the licensed comic publisher (and did pretty good work with them too). I know at least in the 00s, Star Wars and Buffy were their two highest-sellers. They must be hurting.

Dark Horse have some Disney licenses already, so there's no saying they will lose all the Fox stuff in the merger. Right now, though, they're issuing maybe ten books a week - mostly video game or movie licenses and almost all miniseries. They could quite easily lose 60% of their sales throughput in one quarter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

IUG posted:

If you get the trade (volume 8) it tells you. They put them in the collection chronologically, but also tell you what issues they came out in between. It suggested the chronological order. Someone might be able to post that blurb in the opening.

Read X after Y

1873AD: #22
455AD: #28
1923AD, Christmas Annual: #33
1373AD: #39
The Funnies: Hell freezes over

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Here's the alternate cover for the final issue of WicDiv. Almost makes me want to go to a comic store.

Any word yet on when the last TPB will be out? Image tend to be quite prompt, so I'd guess July or August.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

wielder posted:

Quite an understatement.

I will say Simon Spurrier did write some good stuff for that line, namely Wish You Were Here, but most of
the other works are either bad or gross. Or both.

Even that book is not for the faint of heart though. Big fans of zombie fiction and slasher movies might have less issues with the subject matter.

The subject matter of Crossed isn't zombie movies, it's rape. Burn it on a fire, and for preference lock up Jacen Burrows because I have some deep suspicions about that man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think writing the kind of stuff he does basically is his therapy. By all accounts he's a reasonably friendly guy and hasn't done anything awful to anyone.

Ennis has three great loves and two great hates. The former are America, war comics, and tales of sexual misadventure. The latter are superheroes and Irish sectarianism. These things inform all his work. Crossed is the only one where he's really writing out the nasty, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

So according to BKV, Saga is only at the halfway mark and has 54 more issues before the series ends. I find that...a tiny bit disconcerting. I still like the series but I feel like it's been spinning its wheels a bit the last two or three years. I thought there would be like two more years at most. If they actually do get to 108 then the series still has six more years left when it comes back, which seems like a lot.

It might only be four and a half or five. The breaks were to allow Fiona to catch up with the art. If they're using the year break to build a buffer there should be fewer or shorter breaks after it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pitwar posted:

I read Sonata #1 and really didn't get anything from it. It's a bit awkward as we've got the writer signing in our comic shop on Saturday so I'll have to pretend it was good.

Nah. Just tell everyone the writer is in and let him defend it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chrs Gry posted:

Guys who run my local comic shop have had a busy couple of days dealing with angry phone calls from people who couldn’t get TWD but they think the move was actually a great one. In their eyes this means the people who supported the comic every month got the special issue and all the scalpers hoping to buy a copy for eBay or whatever didn’t have time to order a bunch and water down the value.

One of my local stores actually warned people that they would have to add TWD to their pulls if they wanted to get #193 this week. Myself, I trade wait TWD and know it will either be in an enlarged volume 32 or republished ad nauseam so it's not like I'm missing out.

(I also trade wait WicDiv, so I'd kinda appreciate a little patience there because the last trade isn't out until September.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

IUG posted:

So I was just looking at the Image solicits for September because I never did, and I was hoping October's was going to be out.

Holy poo poo, Trees is coming back? And it's a 5 part series so it might actually finish? I'm going to have to check if I'm still subbed to that one.

Battlepug is getting an ongoing?! Sure, I like dumb fun, why not?

And then my question for the thread is they also solicited Walking Dead vol 16 hardcover. That only goes up to 192, and volume 4 of the Compendium goes to 193. Didn't that series just finish at 196? I guess I'm screwed for volume 17, unless half the book is interviews, sketches, and some poo poo.

No, it finished at 193. The last issue is listed as being in Compendium 4, Omnibus 8 and Volume 32, so I'd guess it's just a typo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Okay, best independent Maxi-series?

Lucifer v1, closely followed by The Unwritten.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I want more issues of Velvet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

site posted:

considering how much creators complain about low readership and sales, deliberately choosing to make your books have a small market seems counter-intuitive

Considering how people become much less likely to buy #2 if they haven't bought #1, telling people up front that they won't ever be able to buy #1 is the act of total morons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

So I just finished WicDiv and I feel like I need to reread whatever issue explained what Ananke's deal is because that just sloughed off of me. The last issue was fantastic, though.

It was in several issues, mainly throughout the Mothering Invention arc.

*draws deep breath*

6000 years ago Ananke and her sister learned they had miraculous powers fed by the power of stories, and found ten others with the same power. Then Ananke's sister discovered that they could massively increase their abilities if they believed that they were gods, but that they would burn out within two years if they tried. The alternative was to use their limited powers and work for a lifetime until the next generation of twelve miracle workers came. Ananke decided that she wanted to live forever and be like a god, and so devised a new story where each generation would be accompanied by an embodiment of the storyteller - her, in other words - and turned into a Pantheon through deceit. Her sister opposed this, and at the last tricked Ananke into rewriting her story to always put the two of them into the Pantheon. This rendered Ananke vulnerable, as with Persephone always present there was always someone around who could convince the Pantheon that they weren't really gods. When that finally happened, Ananke's story ended. Like the others she lost her godlike powers, and she had forgotten how to use the ones she was born with. Presumably a new set of miracle workers would be born in the early 22nd century, but with nobody there to tell them they were gods and with Laura's book to tell them they weren't they wouldn't restart the cycle.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 19, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Permission is officially granted to WTF.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I mean, I think it's hard to end anything that goes on that long with a satisfactory ending.

I'm trying to think of a long run that ended satisfactorily. Sandman and Lucifer are the longest ones I can think of at 75 issues each, Hellboy/BPRD has to be a lot more issues than that.

Cerebus had a perfect ending if you work from the premise that it ended with Church and State.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Oh, I'm also glad that Invincible had a good ending. 144 issues is a fair bit of investment.

Anyone here finish The Walking Dead and can comment? I still haven't finished the second omnibus and keep forgetting I also have the third one.

I did. Like Invincible it follows through on characters after the main story ends. It ends where Kirkman said it would, and it was pretty satisfactory on the whole.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WicDiv is great. Paper Girls was alright.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Honestly, the discussion makes me think of another side. What are people's favorite series like Ex Machina, where it makes the creators career to the point they don't have time to give it a proper ending?

But that wasn't the case? BKV had already made his name with Y: The Last Man and Runaways before he began Ex Machina.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

hadji murad posted:

I’m still waiting for the middle part of six issue miniseries Nonplayer.

You mean issue 2?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I picked up the first two issues of Dead Dog's Bite by Tyler Boss (4 Kids Walk Into A Bank) and I'd pretty strongly recommend it. I'm not quite sure how to describe it...quirky mystery with hints of supernatural elements maybe? Here's the blurb which does a better job:

I don't think any story where the motivation behind the plot is a person called McGuffin is worth taking the time to describe. That's next level "ha ha I am so clever" stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I hadn't bought a new card or played since 2001, and naively assumed that getting up to speed lore-wise would be pretty simple. I was wrong.

Well, that explains why Ral Zarek evidently hasn't heard of Urza.

Ral says to Kaya that before her he'd never heard of a planeswalker who could bring someone else through the Blind Eternities. But canonically Urza has done this.

(For that matter, so has almost every other planeswalker who isn't a pure artificer. Unless something changed in the lore, summoning creatures involves bringing them to you from another plane or location.)

That's just a nitpick, though. I picked up the first three issues on the recommendation of the thread and am not yet disappointed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Halo Jones and America are by themselves worth the admission fee. There is no excuse whatsoever for not leaping on this bundle if you don't already own basically everything in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

DIE is finally doing what I wanted it to do from the outset, and it's really bracing. If you've fallen off of it a bit, this week is a good time to start getting caught up I think.

This is the last arc of Die - it ends with #20. At this point it's probably best to wait on the final trade, which is due in late October/mid November IIRC.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

On a vaguely similar note, has anyone read White Ash and got an opinion? I read the FCBD issue and was curious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

actually i'm gonna make an ElfQuest thread because there's a LOT i wanna unpack there

Don't forget to include how the Pinis were good friends with Piers Anthony at one point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I mean that's good news, but at the current pace I will probably die of old age before the series is completed.

Now, now, don't exaggerate. At the current pace it will finish in 2028. 16 years for 108 issues is nothing when you consider Planetary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That price is worth it just for the three volumes of Velvet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alhazred posted:

New Blacksad is out and it's part one in a trilogy:toot: Looking forward to the next album coming in about two years.

According to Amazon it's a four part series, there's a print edition of parts 1 and 2 coming in July and parts 3 and 4 are due next year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's been eight years since the last album and the first two parts of this series are already out in French, at least. Odds are good they completed most if not all the work before publishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I'm trying to move away from American comics and see what lies elsewhere e.g. Europe and UK.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any lesser known UK/European comics and links where I can find/purchase them?

UK comics tend not to be single story books like the American comics. Rebellion Publishing owns all the IPC back catalogue plus a lot of the other UK comics and reprints the stories in trades. You'll be familiar with Judge Dredd, I expect, but they also have complete sets of many other strips including some from Eagle and Scream. Strontium Dog, Sláine, The Ballad of Halo Jones, Nemesis the Warlock, Rogue Trooper, Nikolai Dante, Zenith, Ace Trucking Co., Ro-Busters/ABC Warriors, Third World War, Invasion, The VCs and The Thirteenth Floor are all worth a look. I think there's also a collected edition of The House of Dolmann, but I'm not sure.

Outside of IPC the big pickup is The Trigan Empire, an SF story about an alien faux-Roman empire which ran in educational magazine Look and Learn from the 1960s into the early 80s. As far as story goes it's dated badly - very Boy's Own adventure stuff and a bit repetitive after a while - but the artwork is absolutely gorgeous, all fully painted. The legendary Don Lawrence did most of it up to 1976, which is considered to be the classic era of the strip.