Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The good news: Part 1 of Blacksad: They All Fall Down is now out in English.

The bad news: Boom are charging nine loving bucks for Magic: Ajani Goldmane #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Anybody have fav Brubaker and/or Phillips books? Thinking I'll finally dive into some of those. I've got a couple big Criminal books, first two of Reckless, and some from a Humble Bundle etc, they all look pretty solid. And any favs from the crime / noir genre in general?

I cannot recommend Velvet highly enough. Period thriller with the high concept of "What if Moneypenny was the real master spy?" and brilliant art by Steve Epting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dug out a page from Velvet now I'm not phoneposting:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rick posted:

I loved the heck out of Die (Kieron Gillen and Stephanie Hans's look into tabletop gaming). It looks like they left some space for more so that should be interesting to see although I'm pretty satisfied with it as-is. It's definitely going to be recommended to all my tabletop friends.

Hell no, Die is complete at 20 issues and should remain that way. The "dangling loose ends" are just a recognition that real stories never end.

Recommend away, though, it's very good - maybe even better than WicDiv.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zachack posted:

I'm not going to get out of my chair to verify but I'm pretty sure the deluxe hardcover says volume 1.

If it's the version on Amazon with the black cover, it doesn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lucifunk posted:

I like cyberpunk style scifi, not necessarily alien scifi cyberpunk. The afore mentioned Lazarus is a good example.

I'm an early 80s kid, and no one will ever be as cool as Snake Eyes from GI Joe unless they are played by Harrison Ford. Ninjas and swords kick rear end.

If you like Cyberpunk and think Harrison Ford is cool, maybe try the Blade Runner comics?

And if you like romance comics without T&A, Strangers in Paradise is probably something you should read once.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lucifunk posted:

Ok, now I recommend Deep Cuts highly. It was a very realistic snapshot of life in the early 20s in New Orleans before Storyville got shut down. It is about jazz, and how it came to be synonymous with New Orleans. There's even sheet music in the back for the songs. I've got to get the rest of the issues that are out now. Nothing supernatural or anything, just a great story and fantastic art. The writer has to be from here.

The Anne Rice shows on AMC also show an accurate view of New Orleans and how music is part of the magic.

If you like jazz, don't sleep on Blacksad: A Silent Hell. It's set in the 50s rather than the 20s, but New Orleans jazz is sort of constant. (Don't sleep on any of Blacksad, really - it's all great and there's an Integral edition - but you can read it in almost any order, so a library visit or digital hunt for ASH will tell you if it's worth buying the rest.)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 18, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

For any fans of older horror comics, the British classic girls fright comic “Misty” is getting a nice big hardback release from Rebellion and Amazon is sending it out tomorrow with the new Robo-Hunter book even though it isn’t technically out until Wednesday. 2000 AD has really been knocking it out of the park with their historical collections and reprints

In a similar vein, the current issues of 2000AD and the Megazine are a "what if?" crossover that speculates what would have happened if Battle Action had merged with 2000AD in 1983 instead of becoming the licensed GI Joe comic. I highly recommend - Prog 2350 is an onboarding issue anyway, and Megazine 460 is double sized so you still get VFM even though it's full of Part 5s.

E: also don't make the error of thinking that Misty is a girly romance horror comic. It was marketed at girls, but it was created and mostly written by Pat Mills. In many ways it's actually better horror than Scream was - that one's getting a full collected edition early next year, by the way.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 26, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Scream! looks like a ton of fun. I was all set to buy the 13th floor softbacks that Blackwell's has for sale but then I saw there's a gigantic hardback getting released next year so I held off. I guess all these reprints have been successful because a lot of them seem to sell out and Rebellion is pushing ahead with them. I hope it means they reprint some of the old stuff that's so hard to find like Rogue Trooper Volume 3, El Mestizo, Ace Trucking Company, Flesh, and so many others

The Thirteenth Floor books actually contain a lot more stuff than was in Scream!, as it was cancelled after just 15 issues and folded into Eagle where the story ran for another three years. If you buy the Scream! compendium then you'll not even get half the stories in Thirteenth Floor volume 1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Oh poo poo, well, then I'll definitely be adding those to my next order, thanks friend. Anything else adjacent to Scream!/Misty you'd recommend? Black Max is on my list and I keep an eye on the Treasury of British Comics but I'm totally ignorant about this stuff

Assuming you want me to exclude anything from 2000AD/Starlord: The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire is a must read. The basic premise is a spaceship crashes on Earth, the crew - who look human but are 12 feet tall - are all dead, and it turns out that they came from a faux-Roman Empire in space. It's great pulp action adventure in the Rice Burroughs mould (down to the slight racism, unfortunately) and painted by the legendary Don Lawrence. It inspired a lot of British artists including Brian Bolland and Chris Weston, who was Lawrence's pupil.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I've been hearing a lot about Zenith and I'm kind of interested in the Leopard of Lime Street and the Spider Syndicate books, as well as Adam Eterno. There's just so much!

Yeah, British boys action comics are a seam that goes back to the 1950s when the likes of the Beano, Dandy and Whizzer began losing ground to the new gritty "comics" like Eagle, Lion, and Warrior - that last being where V For Vendetta was first published. Tiger also got great numbers, although its focus was sport over war. It's that generation of comic which Grant Morrison would draw on heavily for Zenith Phase III, which is about twenty times more readable if you can spot all the references. Moving on into the 60s and 70s you had Valiant, Warlord, Battle and Action - the latter two would merge into Battle Action.

The key stories that I know have had some collections are Major Eazy (later reworked into Kursed Earth Koburn for the Megazine - seriously, Koburn is the same character except a former Judge), One-Eyed Jack (Dirty Harry the comic), and Johnny Red, about a British pilot who found himself fighting with a Russian squadron on the Eastern Front. Darkie's Mob was a very solid dark take on the Burmese war, although it was fairly racist and I'd rather point you at Bad Company, which is the same story in space. And of course there's the utterly essential Charley's War by Pat Mills and Joe Colquhoun, a rare story about the First World War that is the definitive war comic which everyone should read. I still have my copy of Charley's War Book One that I won for having a letter published in Battle - it's a prized possession.

Other stories that are worth finding if you can trawl through web archives include The House of Dolmann (think the Puppet Master movies, but less gory) and Kelly's Eye (revived briefly and weakly in 2000AD in the 90s).

If you want recommendations that include the Galaxy's Greatest Comic then there's the three carry-overs from Starlord: Strontium Dog, Ro-Busters (which evolved into the ABC Warriors and crossed over heavily with Nemesis the Warlock), and the lesser known Black Hawk, about an African gladiator who becomes a Roman centurion. Meltdown Man is also worth a look, mostly for Massimo Belardinelli's art, along with Alan Moore's "What if ET but in Birmingham?" story Skizz illustrated by Jim Baikie. Belardinelli's finest hour came on Ace Trucking Company, though. Belardinelli could draw normal people, and did so well when required, but his great love was drawing weird and wonderful aliens and Ace Trucking with its alien space freighter captains gave him his head on that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Ace Trucking Company is at the tip top of my list. It's sort of a perfect example of the problems with 2000 AD's printing patterns, I can't find a copy of the first book for less than $100 from a reputable seller, but I'm gonna be keeping a look out for it for the forseeable future.

How do you feel about digital editions?

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN331

The 2000AD shop also has Get Harry Ex, a hardback collection of the first three Button Man series. The sequels were OK, but the first run is one of the best comics Wagner ever wrote.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I can possibly save you some money on Helltrekkers - it's in volume 68 of the Judge Dredd Mega-Collection piecework from Hachette. Check their website, they may have back issues available.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Difficult to make a passionate statement about indie comics when my eyes glazed over about one paragraph into that rant.

Indie comics, as you say, tend to come in runs that are both shorter and finite. This means they have to hit the ground running if there is any world building to do. Stumptown, for example, is a basic hardboiled detective story (or series of same) and so it can take its sweet time to develop more character. At the other end you have things like Paper Girls and The Wicked and the Divine where there is a seismic change to the world and that has to be dealt with immediately or the story cannot progress.

It was no less a light than HG Wells who said that all science fiction was either about extraordinary people in an ordinary world or ordinary people in an extraordinary world. If you want the former then you have to explain how the extraordinary person became that way; if you want the latter, then you have to explore the world so that the characters have something to react to.

(In case you're wondering: a story about extraordinary people in an extraordinary world is fantasy.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

It's a ramble. Let me ask you this Jedit. We both like say Discworld, 2000AD, and posting on SA. Why be insulting to another fine poster? Like I mentioned, I just read and enjoyed many pages of posts here, I didn't insult any of them, if I found somebody's ramble too long or unrelatable or something I didn't feel a need to tell them such. It's just fodder to work with or not work with, be nice.

Sorry, I'm just tired and it's making me short. Been on my feet for four days and now I'm in airport Limbo, queuing for 20 minutes to drop off my luggage to be told drop off wasn't open yet even though the board said it was, you know the drill.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Skizz is much underrated. It's quite a bit more than ET set in Birmingham. It also has some nice subtle references - the scientist Van Owen is most certainly a son of a bitch - and one of my favourite exchanges in comics, which comes when he's interrogating Skizz about what Roxy has told him about Earth's military defences and Skizz mentions the police.

"What exactly did she say about the police?"
"She said... they were not as good as madness. I did not understand her at the time..."

Halo Jones is just brilliant, though. I've seen the preview art for Book 4 and read about the full arc and I so much wish that Moore had finished it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Got round to reading Asterix album 40 today. They got Fabrice Caro in to replace Jean-Yves Ferri on writing duties, which is the first time someone has written Asterix without Albert Uderzo's approval. (To be fair it would be hard to get as he's dead, but still.) He manages to make most of the jokes land - I liked the bit where the High Speed Chariot is delayed by six hours in the space of five minutes - but he hasn't got the plotting down pat yet. The core idea of a friendly Roman visiting the village to win the Gauls over with positive thinking isn't bad, but in execution it's a bit too much like Asterix and the Roman Agent. Caro also looks to have jettisoned the interesting idea of some of the villagers having teenage kids, but hasn't dropped Ferri's change to have the elderly pirate sometimes not speak in Latin. Overall a bit of a shaky start.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Also after reading Ant Wars I feel a little less confident about Gerry Finley-Day’s opinions, the unrelenting racism that was supposed to be some kind of heavy handed satire didn’t really land and the narration using the phrase “semi-civilized Indian” in every single prog didn’t help one iota

Don’t worry, this only increases as you read more Finley-Day. It should come as no surprise to you that he created nearly all of Battle's "honourable German" stories and most of his stories featured at least one racially stereotyped character. Bill Savage in Invasion is also absolutely a man who would have voted to leave the EU despite being a lorry driver and the evil of the invading Volgans - who are coded as Russian but frequently depicted as Mongolian - is first shown by them summarily executing Margaret Thatcher.

On the other foot, Finley-Day did also create Darkhawk, a story about a black man who becomes a Roman centurion. And his most famous creation, the Rogue Trooper, is the ultimate slave, having been created purely to fight other people's wars and designed so that even death wouldn't end his service.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

While we're on the subject of 2000 AD deep cuts with problematic material, this came in the mail today. Got the last copy from Oxford for only $25, which is extremely fair for a 13 year old book that was never even priced in USD (on the back, at least). Mills, Tully, and Bellardinelli are my three favorites affiliated with any of these things so I'm excited to see where it goes. Less familiar with Gibbon but I'm sure I'll recognize his stuff when I come across it

Thankfully it doesn't go anywhere particularly bad, although the sequels are pretty dire. It's also a Dredd prequel: John "Giant" Clay is the grandfather of Judge Giant.

And what's with this "less familiar with Dave Gibbons" shite? Gibbons is by a long way the most famous name on that cover purely because he illustrated Watchmen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

And there's always some cool noir stuff like Cobra: The Last Laugh by Costa/Gage and Criminal or Reckless etc by Brubaker and Phillips. I've gotta read more comics yes indeed, so much cool stuff.

If you like Brubaker then you should try Velvet, his James Bond pastiche set in the 1960s with the high concept "What if Moneypenny was the real super-spy?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

In regards to Frank Miller, if you only ever read one Daredevil story it should be Born Again. If you like Garth Ennis I can't recommend his run on Hellblazer strongly enough.

His first run; he came back for a single arc later on that is not as good. And I wouldn't say his first run was perfect either; after Dangerous Habits - which is a must-read - the stories are very repetitive. It's the characters that carry the Ennis Run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Hoo boy, this could be a rough one.

Read WE3 if you want a hard hitting story of abandoned pets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Anyway I don't know anyone else who might appreciate this but I recently learned that Lion, home of Robot Archie, Karl the Viking, The Spider, and countless other characters I've come to really enjoy over the last year, used to publish an "annual" hardback every year, a collection of what they thought were their best strips etc.

Oh my, I didn’t realise that people weren't aware of the annuals. They were such a staple of Christmas morning when I was a kid that I never stopped to think about them.

The annuals - at least the IPC annuals for 2000AD and Judge Dredd (who had his own) - were not a "highlights of the year" thing. They were about half and half split with reprints versus special features and new stories - and frequently in full colour. For example, the 1982 2000AD annual had reprints of the first three parts of Flesh, an early Dredd strip and a MACH-1 story, but also had original Dredd, Ro-Busters and Strontium Dog stories plus a Future Shock.

All the original Dredd stories from the annuals have been reprinted in the four volumes of Judge Dredd: The Restricted Files and I think things like Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters got folded into their main run reprint books, but a lot of the "annual originals" were never reprinted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Did Nick Spencer's Morning Glories ever finish?

No. Like most of his personal projects it faltered when he couldn't find a way to end the story without either being pelted with rotten tomatoes or having to admit that mind control through torture doesn't work. Although on that note, he's been making noises about returning to Bedlam.