Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It'll almost definitely be good, but Kate Beaton will always by the definitive Nancy Drew writer to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Covok posted:

I started reading Giant Days today.

It is good. I'm glad that we're seeing a lot more of these female-focused Slice of Life series. I'm really enjoying them.

Gaz-L posted:

Giant Days is amazingly consistent too. One of the more recent issues had a fantastic fantasy sequence as Esther tried to understand what Daisy would do as an archaeologist. Her vision was somewhere between Indiana Jones and a lesbian Lara Croft.
:agreed:
If you like Giant Days, you might also be interested in By Night, a new miniseries by the same author. It's not a slice-of-life story, but I really like the first issue.

Also, maybe come over to the Newspaper Comics thread and check out some of Allison's earlier work on Bad Machinery.

Endless Mike posted:

Looking forward to someone launching a comic for $2.99!

EDIT: How the gently caress do you "win" comics marketing by launching a comic no one will be able to buy since orders were due in awhile ago? Or are they doing the Marvel method of sending comics to stores and counting them as sales?
That thread says they matched the orders to another series (Oblivion Song). So basically, yeah.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Boom! Comixology's doing a sale on their Graphic Novels/Trade Paperbacks.

I personally recommend Giant Days.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Hows By Night? I'm a fan of John Allisons other comics like Bad Machinery and Giant Days, but don't hear too much about that one

It's really good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I just learnt that Giant Days is ending with #55. It's been a ride. :unsmith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kwyndig posted:

Aww man, I love Giant Days :smith:

Well, it was examining a fixed period of time in the Bobbinsverse (Esther's 3 years at uni) and was openly progressing through that time, so I suppose we all knew it was coming. On the plus side, maybe Allison will continue By Night or even Scary Go Round when it's over! And he'll be able to use Esther in stuff set in the 'present' again!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

Teaser for a new Charles Soule and Scott Snyder co-written series for Image.

Plot twist: It turns out the rest of the world got along just fine without America.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I just got the Archie Unlimited app and went through through all of Afterlife With Archie and The Married Life. Dang, they really got me. Especially the ending of The Married Life.

I think they even foreshadowed it as far back as Issue #11.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Andrigaar posted:

I've only read two volumes of Giant Days since learning it was written by the creator of Scary Go Round.

So it just sort of peters out in an indie film/slice of life story story arc? That's not to say its bad.

It don't fully think we can say it peters out, especially since they end on a cliffhanger that's going to be resolved in the finale.

It remains good to the end, in my opinion. Heck, it won an Eisner!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Other posted:

Keep in mind that Giant Days takes place before Bad Machinery / New Bobbins, so for all we know Ken Lord might not have met the future Mrs. Lord yet. I've been binge reading my library's collection of Giant Days trades and in the the Ken Lord issue/chapter (29) Mrs. Lord isn't mentioned.

I also picked up Allison's new book Steeple and thought it was pretty good. The first issue is mainly set up for the series. Thing I kinda didn't like was that the main character, Billie Baker, reminded me a lot of Shelley Winters, who is probably my least favorite Bobbinsverse character.

I think Ken mentions his wife later on.

Also Steeple was great, even if it was mostly setup like you said.

Also bold move to not say you like Desmond Fishman least. Allison's threatenedhinted that he might do a sequel to Vote Des.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

amigolupus posted:

Finally got around to reading Giant Days: As Time Goes By and it's kind of a mixed bag for me. The theme is about college friends growing up and getting jobs that make it harder to find time to keep in touch with friends. Esther's situation of having terrible bosses that foist all the work on you is relatable and sympathetic but the way it was handled was rather weird.

The artist did a great job conveying Esther's exhaustion and her extreme discomfort over her bosses. But during the scene with Esther asking Daisy if she and Susan couldn't see that she's drowning, we're somehow supposed to agree with Daisy that Esther didn't ask for help or that it's her fault she couldn't talk or see them for a year. It's such a weird take, especially since Daisy made a point earlier about how sometimes people don't say anything because you don't want to burden your friends with your troubles.

Susan was in top form at being terrible this issue. She fought with McGraw over him turning down job offers without asking his reasons, she badmouthed Esther for not being able to get to their reunions and acted like a total jerk during their reunion, and she dragged Daisy away with her to ditch Esther despite Esther's body language pretty much screaming for help from her abusive bosses. So having Esther apologize to Susan for how she behaved left a bad taste in my mouth.

And while I know Tackleford's got mysteries and paranormal stuff in it from Bad Machinery, Giant Days has been fairly grounded so it was really distracting when the bosses turned into some weird legion goop and the trio got rid of them by luring them into a haunted footballer's crypt. So yeah, it felt like a weird way to cap off the series.

I think Alison said it was a deliberate choice to go back to the weirdness in When Time Goes By, considering the original (pre-Boom!) comics had Esther, Susan and Daisy fighting the Legion of Head Girls and Daisy breaking out THE AWESOME POWER OF YOGIC FLYING.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, everyone! Chip Zdarsky's giving Afterlift away on Comixology for the next 24 hours or so! Just redeem the code AFTERLIFT and get it!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Not happy John Allison does a 45 issue series and then two limited series that aren't labelled that.

His last one didn't even have a proper ending.

To be fair, I think he was hoping they were both going to become ongoings like Giant Days did. I think he's been pretty clear that it was a 6-issue series unless something happened. I think Wicked Things, starring Lottie being most directly tied to Giant Days and the rest of his work was his best hope - By Night & Steeple, while still in the Bobbinsverse, are so far removed they might as well not be - but then 2020 happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Must admit given the whole deal of Substack serving as a platform for bunch of transphobes and alt-right shitlords to harass people (and apparently pay them to do it!) I've not followed anyone on there. I'm sure a lot of the creators didn't realise given how at least a few have pledged to donate their advances to charity, but I'm still giving it a pass.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 10, 2021