Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So I just read God Hates Astronauts #6 on a whim with no info about it and I have no idea what's going on. It had:
- Admiral Tiger Eating a Cheeseburger (that is not a description, it is a proper name)
- A Rhino with a mustache called Dr. Professor
- A giant (time travelling?) Robot Giraffe called Time Giraffe
- Some kind of Green Lantern squadron looking equivalent called Star Bears flying around with star rings
- Mr Whorecules

Like is the whole thing like this? Is it a piss take or just monkey cheese throughout, or is it supposed to make sense at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

dik-dik posted:

Sounds like my experience reading Prophet.

Hah! I read and liked (contemporary) Prophet, in that it seemed to actually be building toward something. GHA is like something else entirely. Part of it is the breathless pace I think, this stuff just piles up and up over 4 page spans broken up by in-house ads for Mintz. I'm still not sure if I like it or not, but thanks for the feedback guys.

As for We Stand On Guard, I understood all the French in it and I'm an anglophone who took French in high school so that summary may be apt.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

SalTheBard posted:

Ya I really enjoyed the issue. I really like where the story is going. BKV has never done me wrong (admittedly the only other thing of his I've read is Saga, and one volume of Y). I've been reading about Paper Girls which debuts in October and it sounds cool as gently caress too.

Ahah. Hahah. Hah. You wouldn't say BKV hasn't done you wrong if you read the last volume of Y.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

krakagar posted:

The last volume of Y is fantastic. There's some fluff in the middle of the series, sure, but those last three issues? :'(

I'm talking more about what happens to one of the characters. That really hurt man.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I didn't really enjoy the Wicked and the Divine. To me it felt it like a Neil Gaiman story with the numbers filed off. To wit:
- A magical world exists
- A cipher is introduced into said world
- World consists of mythical archetypes given contemporary incarnations
- Young cipher advances deeper into mystical world, through luck/hidden talent becomes more important to it

I mean, if you look at Gaiman's output that's: Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys, Stardust, and who knows what else.

That doesn't mean it sucks, or you suck for enjoying it, but it just feels like ground I've been over before. It's completely unobjectionable as a comic.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What I love about The Goddamned is I bet if you took the trade dress off and gave it to someone saying "Hey this is a new comic from France" they'd totally believe you. Feels really European, in a good way.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

For those of you thinking BKV won't kill Hazel you are on crack. This is the guy who killed 355, a bunch of cute lions, Ampersand, and turned Mitchell Hundred into a Manchurian candidate. Happy endings aren't in his repertoire.

EDIT-Oh yeah and he killed Kremlin

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 7, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not seeing the love for Sleeper here, which had the additional difficulty of being set in the Wildstorm universe

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think Image's publishing schedule has broken me. I realize they're great for creators, they can create at their own pace, create what they want etc. But I literally have no idea what is coming out when, and because of that I don't even bother trying to keep track. Mind the Gap? Copperhead? Black Magick? Some of these might have even released new issues by now for all I know. I'm not really a pull list guy, and I can't be bothered to be constantly reading the weekly release schedules, I just go into the store every now and then and grab what I want. In addition to that, I'm now a bit gunshy about getting invested in nearly any of their interesting titles, because for all I know it'll just peter out in 9 months time.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I uhh just really dislike Boston okay

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

But... isn't IDW really bad?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been "off" Image since my last rant in this thread, or maybe another one, about their inconsistent publishing schedule. I've decided I'll catch them up quarterly or so since a lot of issues obviously don't come out monthly. Here are my sizzling hot takes since around early May or so!

Crosswind: This shouldn't work at all. It's freaky friday with a suburban mom and a mafia hit man, and now I've told you that you've probably already identified all the major story beats that are going to occur. But somehow it works. It's not great comics, but it's surprisingly effective comics.

Plastic: This actually worked for me, and I'm not even sure why. The addition of the female character to work with Edwyn is both banal and effective; I think what makes his character work is that he's just as horrified at his actions (as viewed through a proxy) as he should be, instead of glorying in them.

Kill or be Killed: Both facile and compelling, the "just like you" narrator turned me off as a lazy gimmick at first. But the action he describes, and how, kind of makes up for that. I still don't care about the character, or his demon, but I am curious as to what convoluted situation ends up either getting his just desserts, or his undeserved redemption.

Deadly Class: I'd lost interest in this mostly after the first class "graduated" and the status quo seemed pretty set for the future. But then they sling-shotted a burrito into a stranger's living room and I'm drawn back in.

Drifter (now ended): That sure was a happy ending! Drifter was a ballsy, classic sci-fi premise told using an artful comic book perspective, and they weren't afraid to bull it out to the end. I admire the ambition it took to tell this story the way they did.

Green Valley (now ended?): That sure was a happy ending! Not being sarcastic this time! Landis had some narrative tricks going on, but if feels like the whole series was leading up to the "And now... YOU ARE ANCHORED!" line. In a good way. I still hate him.

Rock Candy Mountain: Visually this comic was a hard sell, but the words I always love to read. By about the 2nd or 3rd issue I didn't care any more and just wanted more of that word candy. Great hobo (not tramp) adventures with the devil and the supernatural and just normal old corruption.

Shirtless Bear-Fighter!: As brazen as this concept is on its face, they went that much further with the actual implementation. It's like a Mel Brooks movie, it's so busy firing jokes and extensions of the completely untenable original premise that you don't even care that the premise is untenable. And not in a twee, monkey-poop-lol internet kind of way, they are seriously digging in and doing the spade work on the character that reminds me of the frenetic energy of the original Chew! comic.

Buuuuuut, I didn't like everything. I'm sorry guys, I know some of these are your favourite comics, and I'm not even going to do much to explain myself, but just keep firing hot takes that satisfy my inner Comic Book Guy, but probably are completely wrong to you.

NEW Youngblood: This is a colouring book, as written by a child who has been frozen in a cryonic chamber since 1992. And that child had brain damage.

Sacred Creatures: A Neil Gaiman story with the numbers filed off mixed with whatever juice that makes normally sane people think the Wicked+Divine is actually good (owwww ooff W+D is good), this plodding drek of a "sane man thrust into a magical universe" will hopefully not be the the last thing that KLAUS JANSON does.

The Divided States of Hysteria: Speaking of once-respected creators hopefully not dying on a terrible project, I'm convinced this comic is the syphilitic death coma of Howard Chaykin where he has an extended day dream that he makes a comic so edgy, so "with it" with the modern memes and the twitters and so on, that all the young millennials bow down to him and tell him that he wasn't all that racist and misogynist after all, he was just "telling it like it is".

Eternal Empire: There might an interesting story here, but it's hidden by the "other Luna brother" and his deviant-art 1 hour sketch video quality illustration, and some incredibly crappy dialogue. I had hopes for the world building initially, but they were washed away by the following meet-cute-and-on-fire issues.

Mage: The Hero Rejaculated: I've always been convinced that all of Wagner's output other than Sandman was self-indulgent self-insert wankery (Mage, Grendel), and check this out, the new one is just as flaccid and as directionless as the previous Mage entries. An older, more experienced Matt Kevin watches a disrespectful new hero handle things his own way, managing to somehow combine "get off my lawn" and "kids and their gadgets these days" (while highlighting the very modern gadget, the personal cassette tape player) into one sizzling 17 page missive that of course has god-hero Matt Kevin beating up the bad guys with a street post he ripped from the ground. Because he is super tough and strong.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

X-O posted:

Yes, as said above trans-dimensional travel was a plot point in how it happened. The MTU book literally happens in between panels of an issue of Invincible where he goes into a portal and then comes out. To see what happened while he was in the portal you have to read that issue of MTU. So again, not required reading but it's definitely canon to the series.

Does that include the Tick crossover too?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The way I see it Busieks inconsistency is the price we pay for his goodness

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Saga no contest

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah, it might sound laughable now but the Lankhmar stories actually brought a lot of variety and dare I say it, quasi-literacy to what was at the time a pretty pulpy genre. Make no mistake, they weren't Hamlet or anything, but the dialogue, world building, and actual character development were a breath of fresh air for sword and sorcery pulpiness in the late 60s. Just look at Scott Lynch; he's basically been riding the corpse of Leiber's work for the last 15 years so the ideas are still compelling.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Does Howard the duck count as a superhero?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Archyduchess posted:

Someone on twitter linked this blog
by Lars Ingebrigsten in which reads every single comic published by Eclipse. It's a fascinating progression even if I disagree with a fair bit of his editorializing-- I see that he has a companion series on Fantagraphics that I'm looking forward to digging into.

At the very least it's making me want to dig out my old Zot! issues if I visit my parents over the holidays.

That was pretty neat, thanks for linking it! I read it, and looked on wiki, and looked on various other sites, but I can't find a clear answer: Was Mullaney a shifty rear end in a top hat or was the bankruptcy the fault of the "Collins-Harper refusing to report royalties" thing? Because Mullaney is apparently still working in comics at IDW and won several awards for collecting classic comics.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This might be a hot take but I think Usagi deserves a lot of the credit Cerebus got for being a long running creator owned series but doesn't really.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Endless Mike posted:

I kinda feel like Usagi is one of those things where the industry LOVES it disproportionately to fans.

Oh man... Does this mean I'm in the industry now? Haha suck it losers I'm never posting here again

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You did a full and yet Savage Dragon is still there??

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Probably just a corporate entity for adaptation rights

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Give this man his no prize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It gets pretty horny and up its own rear end later but nothing straight up problematic that I remember