Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd like to stop by and recommend Invincible and Savage Dragon to everyone, really clever fun gripping stuff. And always helps to have one team on board for decades, or just one guy in Dragon's case. Lots of fun with the superhero genre tropes while actually having longterm changes and having a bit of a fun quirky edge to things.

Also gotta recommend 2000AD weekly and the Judge Dredd Megazine monthly, Judge Dredd in particular is in both and is one of my favs. The creator John Wagner is still on board and writing great stuff in Dredd's pages all these decades later. You might also know him for writing A History of Violence and 80s Batman!

One more for the road, Hack/Slash, in five neato omnibuses, such a fun comic. Okay one more, Cobra: The Last Laugh, if you want a hard boiled noir story set in a GI Joe universe, this is your book. Insanely excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Soonmot posted:

Kirkman alt account spotted!

(I still read Invincible, but it's not highly regarded around here and I should really stop reading it)
Different strokes for different folks, but I do wish I had that fat Kirkman money!

But while we're talking, could you recommend say your five favorite ongoing books not from the Big 2? I'm always on the lookout.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Martello posted:

Is King Conan any good?
Terrific stuff. Truman adapting Howard stories, I think you'll dig it.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

First of all, I really appreciate your whole post and apologies in advance for plucking just a couple snippets. I suppose I think it's best to start here, though. In a concise manner, what is Conan supposed to be about, to you? I'm curious to see what your (or anyone's) take looks like compared to mine.
How he's portrayed in the earlier Dark Horse stuff seems to fit. A kind of thrillseeking adventurer who is a bit lighthearted and hedonistic. But when wronged or comes across injustice that he can't stand, he's a ruthless killing machine. But mostly, he's about the thrill with a lust for life in that way.

2000AD is excellent right now, 1900+ issues, only a couple years away from 2000AD #2000. With Judge Dredd's creators from the 70s John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra on Dredd, oh yes. Kingdom by Abnett is back too, so great.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 11, 2014

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can like his art, his run on Witchblade was good, but I can agree on it being a little overdone. As in, the way he uses photoshop to give a very I don't know how to describe, almost plasticy and uncanny valley-ish amount of detail to an otherwise cartoony face. I like his more 2D cartoony art better personally. He also seems to have a lot of weird quirks when it comes to framing things and stuff like that. But still, most importantly he's really fast, which to me is the most important thing for a book like this. Keep the story rolling.

Savage Dragon 200 hit this week, freakin' awesome. 100 pages, square binding like a TPB, goddamn I love this book.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cyphoderus posted:

I had Invincible on my sights because I like the premise and apparently it starts out really strong (I've heard that's his deal – starting a comic out strong, then dragging it out for 100+ issues). Should I not even bother? How long does it stay good for?

Definitely, it's my favorite comic out of any mentioned in this thread. I'd say it gets better and better largely. And like anything I'd say draw your own conclusions, it's all personal taste.

You see people asking about comics in topics like this, and often being dismayed because four people don't like something. It's kind of a roll of the dice whether a particular thread on a particular corner of the internet is positive or negative on something.

While I'm in here, Savage Dragon is brilliant. 207 and 208 in particular just wrapped up one of the most compelling stories that was going on for a good fifteen years or something like that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

lifg posted:

That's some dedication. Is Savage Dragon worth reading all the way through?

For sure, it's all written and drawn by one guy, and he's always exploring new ways to keep it fresh. The early stuff holds up really well too, I read it for the first time in the mid-2000s anyway. There might be a cameo here and there from a WildCAT etc, but the book never relies on crossovers or anything. Well there was one Spawn crossover, you can skip the Spawn issue though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 11, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

occamsnailfile posted:

the first 47 issues of Invincible (aka the good part

Dinosaurus first appears in issue 68, but hey at least you gave Invincible something here. Underrated I says. Still a great book.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e: for example, nobody actually fucks in fursuits and the only accounts I've gotten from people who've tried have described it as very unpleasant. It's a myth they propagate to gently caress with you.

What's the verdict on the Cleveland steamer, reality or myth?

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

It's sad because I'd like to see more anthologies but it's hard to justify shelling out the price of two or three other comics for like a dozen pages of something I want.

Ever try 2000AD? That's the jam.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I have to recommend Savage Dragon, it's something that comics fans could hear about more. It just rules so much. If you like Ninja Turtles for example, or Miller's Daredevil run, or Claremont's X-Men, various longer runs about the life of somebody heroic facing weird problems, it just does not get much better than Savage Dragon.

In general I'm a fan of long runs on comics, it's relatively rare, and it's just impressive. And leads to very creative stuff, seeing how the passage of time goes, how they keep things fresh over 200 issues in, etc. And all these issues are written and drawn by the same guy, Erik Larsen. It's madness. So many different styles and vibes over the years, for a bit it focused on family stuff with a riff on comic strips, Calvin and Hobbs style etc. It had a Kamandi influenced bit, Larsen is a big Kirby fan. And the early stuff would appeal to fans of that fun over-the-top badass 90s style, but don't let that turn you away if it's not your thing. This comic actually has the substance to back it up, really impressive writing and imagination over years and years. Savage Dragon is really unique.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Finally read the first issue of Peter Cannon. I loved it. It’ll be interesting to see someone do a quasi sequel to Watchmen that might actually bring something new to the table.

Speaking of when I saw that Gillen was saying he was going to use the book to comment on the legacy of Watchmen I did not expect to get to the end of the issue and find out how far he was going to go with the tie in.

That does sound intriguing, has Gillen mentioned it being a quasi sequel to Watchmen, or do you mean a quasi sequel thematically? Plus the trivia connection to Ozymandias.

In general I dig superhero comics trying to tackle the big issues, if changing the world is actually doable and good etc, like Invincible messed with a bit later on.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

Here’s Gillen’s words from a BC interview:

“This series will turn the mirror around to reflect the deconstruction back onto the legendary Watchmen. Peter Cannon of course served as the template for Alan Moore’s Ozymandias. What if the inspirations get to respond to this modern post-Watchmen landscape of the medium?”

The issue starts 35 minutes after an alien invasion has destroyed the city. The other superheroes of the city, who are pastiches but not of Watchmen, go to Cannon to try and get his help to fight off the invasion. They do and then Cannon figures out something: The attack was all a hoax. But a hoax only he could pull off so he thinks it’s a Peter Cannon from an alternate universe. We then see whole wall of TV screens just like in Watchmen and the final page shows the alternate universe Cannon who is clearly just Ozymandias.

Very intriguing, thanks for the info there. Just read an interview where he mentions this'll be about art and what he loves about comics etc too, so I wonder how else he'll play around with things we know and love.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've got a stack of those trades, been meaning to catch up. I recommend the original Turtles run to anybody interested too. Available in those Ultimate Collections, which have the majority of the Eastman/Laird penned issues. Holds up, very inventive and fun.

Plus, the more versions of the Turtles you become familiar with, well, an angel gets it's wings, and you gain +10 luck stat.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pretty cool! Long may he reign. Erik I mean. Dragon is cool too. Well I mean, oh hell, here's some big current spoilers folks there is a charming alternate universe version of Dragon in Savage Dragon currently, the very Paul Dragon from those old books! Pretty wild..

As far as I'm concerned, John Wagner (2000AD/Judge Dredd) is the finest comic writer alive, and Erik Larsen is the finest cartoonist. By finest I mean up my particular alley, but still, it's nice that these maestros happen to make stuff I dig so much.

The coolest looking art is probably Ryan Ottley. Oda from One Piece for most chutz·pah. (I copied and pasted that)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

JordanKai posted:

Origins and Wynd are both pretty good. We Only Find Them when They're Dead is amazing of course, but I think most everyone already knows that.

Sounds good, I hadn't heard of it, but I've been under a rock. I'm even an Al Ewing fan, since he's written for good ol' 2000AD. I may have never read a Boom comic, for some odd reason.

On Remender, I had the first Fear Agent library thingy, and I realized it was too mammoth for me to actually hold and read. I think it weighed 200 pounds, I sold it. But I will read it digitally sometime.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cloks posted:

Read Giant Days.

Will do! That's been on my radar, I'll bump that up the ol' list.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. Invincible is one of my all time favs, so much fun reading that while it came out. Plus a few of my friends read it, and a couple of us got a few of letters in the letters pages too. And tough to top Ottley. Anyhoo, cool book.

And don't miss the Science Dog two issue series! Well, the first issue is re-prints of backups, but you gotta have the whole Science Dog saga. Tech Jacket is cool, I've still gotta read Brit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love the Biz. Also great that Simon Pegg's Spaced character is named after him.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Some good news, I learned that Science Dog is back!

Skybound X #3 has a new Science Dog story, he's on the cover and saw somebody tweet it, so naturally just grabbed that. I see in the intro they mention this picks up from a Science Dog story featured in Oblivion Song #25. Both of those with the backup download CBZ option on spotify for 7 bucks, well worthwhile for more of this great saga.

It is funny, comics are such a unique medium. I'm a pretty darn big fan of Science Dog, I've spread the word to people, just always down for more Science Dog. I had no idea he was back in Oblivion Song 25, and almost missed this new one too. It's just interesting that comics are like buried treasure, they could release something you really want and you might not even hear about it. Maybe there should be a Science Dog newsletter...

Also, the Science Dog story still continues!. I'll just have to look at the bonus material in any issue 25, 50, or 75 of a Kirkman book from now on. Fire Power 25 I guess, don't cancel that yet. Science Dog, the greatest doggone hero around.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For me comixology is often a no go, unless it has the DRM free download option. I just don't like their default viewers, my style is to have it remember my zoom percent and keep it for every page until I change it. Like Perfect Viewer on android, honeyview etc on PC, just about every cool viewer does it like that. Plus I also like having the files right on my tablet.

Speaking of, well this is the humble bundle of the century, this 2000AD punks and stuff one: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/judge-dredd-perps-punks-partners-2000ad-books

If you wanna try Judge Dredd and oodles of other cool 2000AD comics old and new, this is a sweet deal. 25 bucks for like 800 dollars worth of digital TPBs. 75 TPBs or so that are say 20 bucks each in paper. I have half of these (maybe 30%) on my shelf but had to get this anyway.

If "America" (one of the must read Judge Dredd comics) was in the 10 dollar tier I might be able to convince more people, but, it is in the 18 bucks tier if 25 is too high. The $25 one has the first five Judge Dredd case files, oodles and oodles of good stuff there (Case Files 2 is where it really gets good). And lots of newer Dredd from the 2000s, 90s, like The Pit, Origins, Total War etc. And lots of other cool series, Dan Abnett stuff like Brink and Kingdom, Rob Williams, cool stuff like Low Life and Simping Detective, classic Judge Anderson (Alan Grant), lots of key Judge Death (including his first appearances with Brian Bolland art in JD Case Files 3 and 5), you name it. Some Slaine, Dredd movie comics, comic hottie Al Ewing's Zombo vols 1 and 2! Out of print Judge Dredd side-story "The Dead Man" that ties into the Necropolis epic, but isn't collected elsewhere (that would be Case Files 14). Alan Moore and Morrison are there too folks. This is pound for pound the finest selection of comics to grace that site.

Don't forget to mess with the sliders to give humble less of the pie, since it defaults a bit high for themselves. drat this is a cool collection of comics.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 31, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is cool, does sound like a first. I have the standard version of this one coming, but I did get the 70s B cover for a couple recent issues since they were in stock. Creative son of a gun that Erik.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool to see! Good time for me to get reading that stack of trades.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Anybody read that comic Bermuda? By Layman/Bradshaw, looks pretty fun.

Any opinions on Birthright? That sounded kind of intriguing. How about Seeley's Bequest? And various fantasy romp or related fantasy-ish kind of comics in general, lot to choose from. Helm Greycastle?

And how about those action-y thingies like Deep Beyond and Nocterra? Brzrkr any good? For older stuff, I've been interested in some of those D&D comics, and Skullkickers, and Tellos. And just oodles of series on the list to check out. Like Outpost Zero, The New World, Killadelphia, anybody read Oblivion Song or Kirkman's recent stuff, Motor Crush, The Kill Lock, Higher Earth, about a zillion comics of interest. Comics folks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks folks! That all sounds good to me. My brother has the Adventure Zone graphic novels, I hadn't thought of that since I only listened a little, but that could be fun as well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, comics ahoy! Good to know, thanks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He's been cool with Cory Walker and Ryan Ottley, and others I'm sure.

I'll put my random chips on Kirkman being an okay person. He was not in much of a position of power at the time, likely to not have his books continue etc. Not to say he's never made a shady deal, don't know the guy.

When I see peers suing each other, it's just standard stuff. I'm sure Bill is cool too, and I figure he'll get a settlement. The lawyer sounds untrustworthy, like he's cutting a wrestling promo.

Comics writers and colorists = cool, this laywer guy = a bit dubious! That's my hot take. Our system is a nutty circus, and this is not high stakes I feel. I love both of these great men, and I'm hoping for peace like on Cybertron at the end of that Transformers movie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I know the Tony thing, that had the same lawyer oddly enough. Just saying I don't think it's fair to put Kirkman's name in the mud so to speak just because of this. It's cool that you assume badly of him, and it's cool that I assume non-badly. It's all good. I said I love Bill, I didn't say he's not a big deal. Just saying some lighthearted points, like how a creator owned book by Kirkman in the early 2000s wasn't the most professional endeavour, and the book was almost cancelled etc.

It's all good that we have a different impression on this news story, please just keep the ire at Kirkman. They both have more money than me, why should I take heat here. Comics. :sax:

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 13, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've been meaning to check out Radiant Black, and Astro City too (for a long time)! Kurt seems like a cool cat, and I dug his Conan run.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've gotta read that, had the first couple Blacksad books on the shelf forever. Looks awesome.

Any other fav recent European comics? I've checked out that site Pipeline Comics and gotten some recommendations from there too, lotta solid looking comics. The Campbells, Ken Games, and Ekho are a few I've got on the list there.

It's also interesting to see US comics getting made in that format to be marketed there too, like Adventureman and Reckless. I dig it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 3, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good question.

I just heard Usagi Yojimbo is going back to Dark Horse, and Stan and co. have their own imprint now. Also, Dark Horse is owned by the Embracer Group now as opposed to the previous group that bought it earlier. Comics.

IDW is seemingly having a downturn. I haven't heard much of what's going on there behind the scenes.

Also, I read Saga #1! Promising start.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 13, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

McFarlane talking McFarlane's Spawn, all the Spawns, this is ASMR

https://twitter.com/McFarlaneComics/status/1587123563978362882?s=20&t=ci_cFwNjKe2-bpu-Vv331g

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Can't wait to read that book, Murder Falcon looks cool too.

Any takes on the Radiant Black supermassive books and stuff? Lotta spin-offs, there was Radiant Red, now Inferno Girl Red etc. That's a lotta red. The silver ranger is always hype in Sentai.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How does this wiki know this obscure Ninja Turtles character is 5'9 and 140 lbs? It is mysterious to me. Yes I've been surfing the Turtleverse.

https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Cherubae_(Archie)

How awesome does Stan Sakai's next Usagi/Turtles crossover look?

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtlesusagi-yojimbo-wherewhen-crossover-stan-sakai/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hot drat, you're a super sleuth. I considered there being an Archie Turtles encyclopedia with all their minor characters vitals, but perished the thought. Good to know this info is strictly above board.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I only had one random trade of it back in the day. Turtle history.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wanderer posted:

One thing I enjoy doing is showing my friends who aren't giant comic nerds the panel where time-traveling Future Raphael punches out Hitler.

That does rule. Him calling Hitler "perv" in that moment adds to the insanity.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool, looking forward to reading that. I'm on the Mirage run, have read the beginning of it a couple times over the years. Mainly going for the Eastman/Laird issues in the Ultimate Collections, plus a couple odds and ends.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

First indie comic post of 2023, may your year be full of indie comics and whatnot! And that includes IDW comics about X-Files vs Sliders vs Mighty Max, which would be great.

Anybody have fav Brubaker and/or Phillips books? Thinking I'll finally dive into some of those. I've got a couple big Criminal books, first two of Reckless, and some from a Humble Bundle etc, they all look pretty solid. And any favs from the crime / noir genre in general?

Also, there was an Elephantmen / Strontium Dog crossover apparently, and I can not find it. But I did see the Elephantmen / Judge Dredd short. Also it's wild that Elephantmen is still going, but I just don't see anybody talking about it. But that's the case with a lot of indie comics, I'm happy it's still out there. That said, I haven't read any of it, I just have the books on the shelf and look into how it's doing every two years. I haven't read most of Strontium Dog either, but I did get the final tpb The Son by Wagner/Ezquerra. Comics backlog. :psyduck:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the Brubaker recs, sounds awesome. I've got the first volume of Velvet too, looks like a lot of cool stuff to dig into.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You lot reading any comics? You proper geezers getting busy with some 20 pagers?

I haven't, but I intend to. I did read some One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! I've also gotta read Murder Falcon by Johnson, that looks pretty sweet. Touching issues + over-the-top intense metal thingy, that's some classic anime formula right there.