Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't read Alex + Ada but I liked The Sword by the Luna Brothers. Their art is a bit barebones and simple but I like it. I've never read any of their other stuff though. I recently checked out the first issue of God Hates Astronauts and have no clue what I even read. It's basically pure insanity. I don't even really know if I liked it. I can definitely recommend Velvet, Sex Criminal, Manhattan Projects, and The Fade Out. All quality books. The Fuse is pretty good too, but I'm usually a fan of most of Johnston's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I read the first few issues of Saga and didn't care for it all. The only thing I liked was the art but with a story and characters I didn't care one bit about that's not enough. As much as I liked Y and Ex Machina I was really surprised to be completely disengaged with a BKV book but I was.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Dying and the Dead was so great. Hickman can apparently do no wrong. And that Ryan Bodenheim art was spectacular.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Manifest Destiny is fantastic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pugnax posted:

New Jeff Lemire book on Image called Descender. Pretty drat cool - it's about a robot boy in a world that hates robots.

If you didn't check this out you should. It's great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

khy posted:

There was a comic I heard of a while back, I thought it sounded interesting but never followed up on it. Now i'm curious about it but can't remember it.

IIRC it's about a town where when someone dies they come back to life, so the government has basically quarantined the place. The main character is a girl who died and came back and I guess maybe she has some kind of super strength or just resilience or something?

I know that isn't much to go on but it's a fairly recent comic, as in within the last year to year and a half.

I answered you in the other thread, it's Revival from Image. It's a good book and I definitely recommend checking it out. Issue 28 just came out so there's not a huge backlog to get through.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

khy posted:

Thank you Deadpool; I edited that post because I thought the question more appropriate for this thread. But that's exactly it and I am going to look into it soon.

Hope you enjoy it. It's a different take on the whole undead thing. Also Mike Norton's art is really good and definitely fits the small town setting of the story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed Kaptara as well. Chip Zdarsky is the best. Another new book I picked up this week was The Infinite Loop. The artwork in it is outstanding. Very stylish. Probably not a style for everyone but man I loved it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

God Hates Astronauts is a beautiful and completely batshit insane book. I've read and loved every issue since I was introduced to it months ago but I have no idea what I've read at all. I just know it's completely off the rails in a way that makes me smile and that's enough.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Birthright is great stuff. I don't normally like that kind of book but I checked out the first issue and it was one of the better first issues I've read in a long time because it really hooked me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Luchacabra posted:

Anybody pick up that Dark Horse King Tiger book today? It's apparently a re-imagining of a Worlds Greatest Comics title I never heard of, but it's by Stradley and Wheatley, and I really loved their work on the various Star Wars titles.

Is that the same team that did the backup stories of King Tiger in Blackout? I really liked those and I'd never heard of the character.

EDIT: Just looked it up, definitely the same team continuing that story. I'll definitely pick it up because I really dug that backup story. If you get the issue and like it I'd recommend grabbing the Blackout mini for the backup story, and because Blackout was a really neat and fun concept itself. I wouldn't mind both titles getting an ongoing.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 12, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes Image, you can have more of my money.

quote:

The all-new Biblical noir series from the creative team that brought you Scalped

Bestselling writer Jason Aaron (SOUTHERN BASTARDS, Scalped) teams up with artist R.M. Guéra for an all-new series of Biblical proportions in the violent reimagining of the Old Testament in THE GODDAMNED. First announced at Image Expo, the new series will launch from Image Comics this November.

"And the earth was filled with violence." Genesis 6:11—It's 1,655 years after Eden, and life on Earth has already gone to hell. The world of man is a place of wanton cruelty and wickedness. Prehistoric monsters and stone-age marauders roam the land. Murder and destruction are the rule of the day. Humankind is a failed experiment. This is life before the Flood. The story of man on the verge of his first apocalypse. Welcome to the world of the Goddamned.

“I'm quite confident in saying that there's no other book on the shelves that's quite like The Goddamned,” said Aaron. “It's a Biblical caveman apocalyptic barbarian western noir. With dinosaurs. As drawn by the amazing R.M. Guéra. The end of the world has never looked so good.”

In THE GODDAMNED #1, the creators that brought readers the fan-favorite Scalped, reunite for a stark and brutal biblical noir, which begins with a special over-sized debut issue weighing in with 30 pages of story.

THE GODDAMNED #1 (Diamond Code SEP150529) will hit stores on Wednesday, November 11th. Cover B, featuring art by Jock can be ordered with Diamond Code SEP150530. The final order cutoff deadline is Monday, October 19th.

https://imagecomics.com/content/view/the-goddamned-unveils-a-world-of-wanton-cruelty-wickedness-and-violence

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ok, I love weird quasi Biblical stories and Jason Aaron has completely won me over with The Goddamned #1. Holy poo poo I am all in for this series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really enjoyed his Tech Jacket and Super Dinosaur. And I liked Invincible when I read it, but I apparently lost track of it before it went completely off the rails. Same with Walking Dead. Seems like maybe his lighter fare is a bit better than his dark hyper violent stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not really, I mean it is technically, but most people use indie as a catchall for creator owned these days. Valiant is not creator owned.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

God Hates Astronauts is one of the weirdest craziest dumbest no sense making comics I've ever read. And I loved every page of it. It is the stupidest thing you will likely ever read, and I say that completely as a positive.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

His Valiant stuff is amazing. I really like Past Aways too. He and Venditti are amazing at Valiant and apparently suck at DC. Maybe the problem wasn't with them. Maybe they're just better when not writing within a big company's constraints and given freedom to go where they want with a story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, The Woods is good poo poo. I've heard it's been in talks to go to TV and it would make a great show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

So's just about every indie comic. I'm waiting for my disappointing Letter 44 pilot :mad:

That would be a hard one to make, but yeah it's great too. The Woods, Letter 44, The Sixth Gun, Wasteland, and Revival are my top picks for shows I want to see based on comics. I'm not sure anyone would watch Wasteland though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The first issue of The Fix was great. I love the way Spencer and Lieber work together.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you would like to read a book where Teddy Roosevelt is basically Batman and has to put together a team that includes Harry Houdini, Thomas Edison, Annie Oakley, Jack Johnson, and Monk Eastman in order to race to Cuba and stop an Alien Invasion during the Spanish-American War then Rough Riders from Aftershcock Comics is the book for you. First issue came out this week and it was pretty drat good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pugnax posted:

How far along is Black Road? I loved both Northlanders and The Massive, so seems like this is something to check out. Then again, Wood sometimes shits the bed.

First issue just dropped today. Also if you didn't know there's a prequel mini to the Massive that's also out now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

First issue of Joyride by Jackson Lanzing and Colin Kelly with art by Marcus To was really good. It's only a mini but I already want it to be a monthly. It's about a future Earth that's closed off from the rest of the galaxy by a giant metal dome and three characters that break out and steal an alien ship to tour the galaxy that has been hidden from them. It's fun and the art is great. Pick it up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-O posted:

First issue of Joyride by Jackson Lanzing and Colin Kelly with art by Marcus To was really good. It's only a mini but I already want it to be a monthly. It's about a future Earth that's closed off from the rest of the galaxy by a giant metal dome and three characters that break out and steal an alien ship to tour the galaxy that has been hidden from them. It's fun and the art is great. Pick it up.

Quoting myself to say read this book. Issue two just came out and it's fantastic. And it got upgraded to a full ongoing!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

And don't expect to get many more for a while, as Greg has to write a bajillion Wonder Womans.

He had to stop his other book because that artist is also going to Wonder Woman with him. I think he can handle Lazarus, Wonder Woman and the occasional Stumptown.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blew my mind to open up Comixology today and see a new issue of Edison Rex after two years. And according the writer's Twitter a new one is coming next month too! Crazy times.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think a lot people, myself included, liked Incorruptible more than Irredeemable. I love both but Incorruptible is definitely the stronger series and I wish it were still running right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just finished Marguerite Bennett's Animosity #1. I'm here to let you know you have to read it. Bye.

Is it better than her other Aftershock book? I took a pass because I didn't like that one at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I see it has the same artist from Super Zero. I hope that doesn't mean that comic is done. I thought it was just wrapping up an arc I'd be bummed if it was actually cancelled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah it was a great first issue. Felt a bit short though.

I also grabbed Kill or Be Killed and Mycroft Holmes and enjoyed both. I knew what to expect with Brubaker and Phillips, but Holmes was a surprise.

And I picked up Nailbiter 1-20 and the Hack and Slash crossover from a local guy and holy smokes this is good stuff. I need to grab 21-23 next weekend so I can get caught up.

Yeah, Naibiter is good stuff. I'd check out Birthright by the same writer if you haven't. It's my favorite work of his. He's also the new writer on Flash.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've decided to change the way I buy ongoing indie books from now on. Unless it's a creative team I know can crank something out on time, or it's specifically solicited mini I'm not going to get into any new books only to have them hit ridiculous delays. As much as I like Hickman I'm not going to read Black Monday Murders unless it keeps a decent schedule for several issues. The last Hickman book I got into and loved was delayed into who knows when. This goes for books by other writers as well. I'm just tired of liking new books and then having to wait months between issues. I'll either buy them in collections later or buy singles when an arc is finished.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really like that art style.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if anyone else is reading Letter 44, but uh... that escalated rather quickly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Catching up on some stuff from last week, just wanted to let everyone know once again to read Joyride. It's really good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wish Francavilla would stop wasting time with other things and get to work on Afterlife with Archie. Also is there anyone that cares even a little bit about Vampirella? Or that ever did in the first place? I'd imagine those that did would be the types that are not down for a comic about the character in that drawing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

So i stumbled into Hickman's the Manhattan projects while looking for cyberpunk stuff and it wasn't at all what i was looking for but it interested me anyways and wow this poo poo really kinda just cuts off and loses the plot in the last couple volumes huh

Hickman has said it's the one thing he's written where he didn't plan anything in advance, he just wrote whatever he felt like issue by issue only thinking about the issue he was writing just to see where the hell it went. Basically it's just a book where he does crazy poo poo for fun.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chairman Capone posted:

Incredibly, Copperhead is releasing a new issue this week. Looking it up, the last issue was October 2015.

It's about drat time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dammit. I did not go into the issue figuring that #12 would be the last issue of Joyride. What a bummer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So I don't think I've ever read a Youngblood comic, but the art style on the new one that starts this week is a style that caught my eye. It's pretty much the opposite of what Youngblood has looked like in the past from my experience of only looking at bad Liefeld covers. Is the writer any good? I don't think I've ever read anything by Chad Bowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

Shirtless Bear Fighter is dumb as hell and I loved it.

I bought it based on the panels in the funny thread. It's the single stupidest comic I've read in a long time. Everyone should buy it.