Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'd love to have some conversations going about titles that aren't webcomics and aren't Marvel/DC. After getting all jazzed up for the New 52 my next big thing has been moving into finding hidden gems in the titles published by anyone but DC and Marvel.

I'm not an industry insider, I don't really pay attention to which authors and artists hold more weight than others. If someone wants to recreate this thread with a better OP have at it.

With that being said I think one of the cool things about reading a lesser-known title is trying to get others involved so I think it would be cool if people would write-up about a title they're reading and I'll add it to the OP.

code:
Template:
[b]Title:[/b]:
[b]Publisher:[/b]
[b]Brief description:[/b]
[b]Why I like it:[/b]
[b]Issue that is a good jumping on point:[/b]
----------------------------------------------------

Moriarity - The premise is that after killing Sherlock Holmes Professor Moriarity's life fell into the mundane. He took on a separate identity, but then is gradually drawn into a mystery with the shadow of Holmes lingering in the back of his mind.

The Darkness - Jackie Estacado, a former hitman and mafia don, is the latest bearer of The Darkness, an ancient power that allows its bearer to create constructs and summon otherwordly demons limited only by his imagination.

Green Hornet:Year One/Kato: Origins - A revamp of one of the first masked crimefighting teams in comic books - done with real style and panache, plus a good amount of period flavor.

Usagi Yojimbo - A rabbit samurai wanders feudal Japan and works simultaneously as a bodyguard and a bad rear end.

Irredeemable - The Plutonian, a Superman archetype, has completely snapped and destroyed his version of Metropolis in a fit of anger. The world is making GBS threads itself because there's really nobody out there to stop him. His former hero comrades are constantly on the run while trying to come up with ways to stop him while he makes an effort to pick them off. The government's plans to counter him are more self-destructive than anything and any time something is brought in that can stand up to Plutonian, there are major repercussions. Also of note is how Plutonian's arch-nemesis, the super genius Modeus, shows up every now and again to work things to his advantage, whatever that may be. All the while, Plutonian treats the world like his own personal sandbox, like a slightly less sadistic version of Kid Miracleman.

Incorruptible - Taking place in the same world as Irredeemable, Incorruptible stars Max Damage, one of Plutonian's biggest rogues. His power is that he becomes increasingly strong and invulnerable the longer he stays awake. His weaknesses are that he's vulnerable when he wakes up, vulnerable to sleeping gas and being awake for too long causes him to get incredibly loopy. Having seen Plutonian's rampage firsthand, he realizes that somebody out there needs to step up. He pulls a complete 180, going completely straight to the point that he won't have sex with his underage sidekick Jailbait and refuses to use stolen money for his war on crime. He hooks up with a recovering alcoholic police chief and Plutonian's Lois Lane counterpart in an attempt to bring order to his city.

Beasts of Burden - It's basically Hellboy but with pet dogs and cats. Supernatural horror, but at a smaller, more personal scale.

Fafhrd & The Gray Mouser - Wise barbarian Fafhrd and silver tongued rogue Gray Mouser put the first spin on the Sword & Sorcery genre in one of Mike Mignola's most well-respected non-Hellboy endeavors.

The Sixth Gun - Based in post civil war America, the mysterious Drake Sinclair must stop an evil undead occultist confederate general from being resurrected by the power of his 6 unholy weapons. Revolvers, each with their own power (one shoots with the force of a canon, one can summon the spirits of anyone it has killed, etc.) can only be held by whoever killed it's last owner, and innocent farm girl Becky Montcrief inherited one unwillingly drawing her into the supernatural bid for power. It has cowboys, apocalyptic prophecies, voodoo, creatures of myth and legend and written by Cullen Bunn manages to never feel hoakey (even when they fight a mummy on a train!)

Who Is Jake Ellis? - Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) meets The Bourne Identity - Jon Moore is a mercenary on the run from pretty much every government. There's only two people in the world he can rely on: himself, and the mysterious omniscient man that only he can see.

Bulletproof Coffin - A man hired to rummage through the homes of the recently deceased comes across artifacts from some of his favorite comics and a David Lynch superhero/EC comic series ensues.

Essex County - The intertwining lives and personalities of the residents of Essex County, Ontario are followed throughout the years. Essex County is a fictionalized version of author/artist Jeff Lemire's hometown and the comic is a love letter to the region and it's hearty folk.

Chew - Tony Chu is a cibopath, meaning that he can get memories/impressions/background of anything he eats. In this world, the FDA has increased legal and enforcement power, and chicken has been outlawed after a bird flu outbreak. The reason for the ban, however, may not be that cut-and-dry.

The Mis-Adventures of Adam West - Actor Adam West is in a slump. He gets offered roles in movies, but turns most of them down against his agent's wishes because he doesn't agree with the actions of the hero characters and their lack of morality. A fan sends him a mysterious amulet and soon he finds himself decades younger as a spy in the world of one of those scripts. With nobody believing that he's only an actor, he proceeds to act out the story, only on his terms. Like some kind of Quantum Leap story, he moves from world to world after setting things right.

Invincible - Mark Grayson is the son of Omniman, a superman-like dude with a mustache. His powers finally kick in and he gets into the superhero business. He quickly discovers that his father is actually a bad guy setting up for an eventual invasion by his people, the Viltrumites. Invincible makes a lot of friends and a lot of enemies over the years with a lot of setup made for the Viltrumite War, which itself finally ended about a year ago. Now he's dealing with the morality of the superhero lifestyle, wondering if most villains aren't truly evil but need to be heard and understood to better everything.

The Goon - The Goon, flanked by his little buddy Franky, is a mob goon claiming to be working for a guy named Labrazio... only in reality, he killed Labrazio in a fit of anger decades ago. He's truly been running things, but he's ultimately a really good guy, constantly protecting the people in his neighborhood from all sorts of macabre threats. His main villain is a nameless sorcerer (he's really Rumpelstiltskin ) who conjures up armies of the undead. Goon has a mentor of sorts in Buzzard, an old gunslinger who thanks to the nameless zombie priest is an anti-zombie and cannot die no matter what he does.

iZOMBIE - Gwen Dylan is a zombie, but if she can manage to eat brains on a regular basis she won't go shambly or decompose. The catch of course is that when she eats a brain she gets a little bit of their spirit and if there's unfinished business she has to help finish it or she'll never get rid of the voices. It's kind of a girlie soap opera that just gets ridiculously wacky the more were-terriers, paintball vampires, debonair mummies, and ghoulish government agencies are introduced into what should have been a simple plot.

BPRD - Spinning out of the events of Hellboy: Conqueror Worm, BPRD follows the events of the extraordinary and normal workers of the Beuro of Paranormal Research and Defense. The series follows Abe Sapien (fish man), Liz Sherman (pyrokinetic), Roger (humunculus), Johann Krauss (a spirit in a special suit) and Kate Corrigan take on the things that go bump in the night. Over the course of the title they've taken on plagues of Frogs, subteranian human, steampunk Victorians, Lovecraftian nightmares, inter-dimensional Dukes, Wendigos, Cultists and a multitude of men with delusions of grandeur.

Orc Stain - Well there's an orc and he's really good at breaking things and there's a swamp which who poisons people and they have to stop some other orcs and you know what trying to describe the story is stupid. It's an adventure book.

Nonplayer - In the near-ish future a girl with a dead end job who still lives with her mom gets drawn into a deep web of conspiracy concerning the online video game she spends all her free time playing

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

^burtle posted:

So Moriarty becomes a good guy after killing Holmes, am I understanding this right?

Right now he's somewhat amoral. The storyline definitely seems to be heading in a direction where Moriarity does good because he doesn't like the alternative.

I'm not sure if they are going to make us question who has really been the good guy all along, which would be cliche in and of itself, or if they are going to keep going along this sort of route where Moriarity is pitted against people who are more evil than he is to the point that he has to defeat them to save the world which we've all seen before.

For now I'm just enjoying what feels like a diamond in the rough.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Title: Moriarity
Publisher:Image
Brief description: The premise is that after killing Sherlock Holmes Professor Moriarity's life fell into the mundane. He took on a separate identity, but then is gradually drawn into a mystery with the shadow of Holmes lingering in the back of his mind.
Why I like it:The art may be a put-off to some people but I enjoy the grittiness of it. I love how wordy this book is because I hate it when I read a book and am done within like 5-10 minutes. It is definitely hitting all the right notes for me in terms of being a period work but also introducing mystery and sci-fi elements without going too far on the latter. I've had a thing for Sherlock Holmes since watching Basil Rathbone movies and there's some nice moments where Moriarity is drawing Holmes-like conclusions about, say, the author of a letter based on several simple facets.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: I think the current issue is 8, I've started at the beginning.

Seriously, if you like Ruse or anything like the typical Holmes Victorian mystery stuff this is shaping up to be a really good read. I'm excited and hopeful for where this is going.

Moved this below to help clean up the OP.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

al-azad posted:

Holeee poo poo, Frankenstein Alive Alive #2 came out today. When did I last post about it... May 11th. Yeah.

It's still a fantastic comic. I've said in the past that I'm not fond of a writer picking up an established literary characters. I mean, I feel less ambivalent towards mythological characters, but public domain characters are in that realm of "why bother" for me. FAA shoves my foot in my mouth. It just wouldn't be the same if it was an original monster unrelated to the classic story.

I loved it but was sad at how short it was since they had that sneak peek of something else.

What was the wait though, 6 months? That's a long time. Still, gorgeous artwork and I'm having a lot of fun with the monster's inner dialogue.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm sure it's been discussed but I've been away from this forum for a bit and just wanted to put in a major endorsement for Mind MGMT. If you love conspiracy theory poo poo like MKUltra it is really a fun and fascinating book that I really can't get any bead on what exactly is going to happen and who is working for who, etc. Especially because you sometimes see some 'hidden' things.

The art might put people off but I think it works well given the schizo/surreal nature of it all.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Ominous Jazz posted:

Is anybody reading Bedlam? I gave it a go just on the cover last month and really dug it as a one off.
And then there's another this month and man did it not hold up.

Oh no. I really liked #1 and I've got #2 sitting on the island in my kitchen waiting for me to find the time to play it.

Well, maybe lowered expectations will help me not be as disappointed.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Crisco Kid posted:

So I’ve been tasked with creating a non-
mainstream buying list

Edit: Nevermind, I think all my suggestions were too mainstream compared to what you are looking for.

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 3, 2012

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The art feels...cramped. It's not bad, certainly, if you enjoy Humberto Ramos kind of stuff. It's expressive and fits the tone of the story. But it does only occupy the middle of the page. There's a huge amount of just empty space on every page and I don't know why. We've had "print to the edge of the page" technology for like 100 years now. It just makes everything seem small and hard to read.

It also seemed unnecessarily dark which seemed at odds with the art style itself.

quote:

I dunno. I guess I'd give it a C+. Not bad but not really anything important that you need to check out.

I definitely wasn't pulled in by it and probably won't buy another issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Just read Change #1 and I'm blown away.

I really wish I could put a description on what is going on but it's sort of like Manhatten Projects meets the coherent parts of Mulholland Dr with some Lovecraft sprinkled in.

Bummed it's only a 1 of 4 but maybe that's just the right amount. loving great though. I love schizo comics like this.