Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I got some good news from my comic shop today.

Title:: Orc Stain
Publisher: Image
Brief description: Well there's an orc and he's really good at breaking things and there's a swamp which who poisons people and they have to stop some other orcs and you know what trying to describe the story is stupid. It's an adventure book.
Why I like it: The art. Oh my god the art. Every page, every panel. James Stokoe's art is just...oh jesus I can't even describe it.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Haha that's a funny story. You can't find back issues of it and the TPB is apparently out of print already and is going for like 40 bucks on amazon for a used copy. The TPB is really the only place to start and then you have to try to find a copy of issue #6 which came out almost a year ago I think.

BUT #7 is apparently coming out in like three weeks! Hooray!

I was going to post up a piece on Orc Stain. It really is the best book around (when it's released).

Comixology also have all six issues up too if people want to (and really should) catch up before the next issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

God :drat:

Everything about that looks amazing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Title: Pluto

Publisher: Viz Media

Brief description: Naoki Urasawa does Osamu Tezuka.

Why I like it: Pluto is a lot of things. A murder mystery, a Pinocchio story, a serious/dark Astro Boy story that manages to be completely optimistic and sincere, a love letter to the past without being self indulgent. Basically Pluto is as close to a perfect book that you can get. Every page is gorgeous to look at, the story constantly twists with interesting revelations and it's full of heart.

How can I buy/read it/catch up?: It's a complete story! It comes in 8 collections shown above which can be found for pretty cheap.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Title: RAGEMOOR

Publisher: Dark Horse

Brief description: Castle Ragemoor stands overlooking the coast, its walls concealing a dark secret. The castle was born three centuries before Christ, its foundations formed from thousands of pagan sacrifices. For those who have made the castle their home, it becomes a prison. For most, it becomes their tomb.

Why I like it: Richard Corben's art really makes this series. Ragemoor looks like it's knitted together from bones and flesh, an organic and very very evil building that hides countless horrors. If you're a fan of Lovecraft or Poe or horror comics or cool art, it's worth checking out.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue 2 came out today and issue 1 is probably going to awful to find in print but Dark Horse digital has it.

Just finished catching up on the three issues of this and it's really, really great. Corben naturally does great horror art but the story itself manages to stand up as a good lovecraftian tale without coming off as horribly derivative.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

There's a thread for the Valiant relaunch that goes in to some depth on each of the series if you're thinking of picking them up.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 9, 2012

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bairfanx posted:

This would be so much easier to hit if their more expensive pledges weren't just "now you get MORE copies."

I'm pretty impressed that they got to where they did with those being all the pledges. I'm sure Stokoe is probably too busy for sketches and things, but I'm sure there could've been something more.

I see it hitting $65k in the next 6 days, but I'd be surprised if we get any of the other stretch goals.

Dunno if it will hit any other goals but it did manage they did manage to get 900+ in one day to push it past 65k :toot:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Since I was talking about it earlier in the thread Ragemoor finished this week with a pretty fitting and disgusting ending. The last few panels are just the perfect ghost story end.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

James Stokoe posted a bunch of cool pages/sketches/covers on his blog if you like looking at gorgeous pages.

Like this Godzilla cover.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The most exciting thing for me from Image out of Comic Con was the Rios/DeConnick book. It's a western starring a disfigured assassin hunting down a bounty. There is no way that Rios doesn't completely kill it wth a western.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Darth Nat posted:

This week's Glory was everything I could have hoped for. We finally get Glory suiting up and punching everything in sight into a fine red mist. And it continues the trend of increasingly crazy creatures. Last month we had a shark in a jetpack. This month, we are introduced to Glory's pet cat. Who has bat wings and shoots lasers from its eyes.

People really don't talk about Glory enough. Everything about it is great and while I love Prophet I think I'm warming to Glory more. It probably helps that I really like Ross Campbells art and the dude draws Glory like a tank. Crossing over with Saga talk Fiona Staples drew some Glory fanart the other day.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

al-azad posted:

Image made the baffling decision to relaunch Glory and Prophet with the original numbers. I'm sure there are many people like me who refuse to get into a series that's already deep in its production run (the recent one-shot of Chew is literally the first time I've hopped on an ongoing comic that was past issue 6 without reading the previous issues). There's no indication that these are reboots unless you take the time to research them and it's not like you can find the original stories in collected form (and coming from Liefeld, they're probably not very good!).

So shame on Image for not completely renumbering the series especially when the originals are probably unknown and completely unavailable. They seem popular enough in a sleeper sort of way but I think they could be doing better if they began at #1.

I actually appreciate Image not giving either Prophet or Glory a new number one and bucking the thread of every book with a new creative team needs to be re-branded. Also (not that they ever would do it given it's Image) but I also like that they did not feel embarrassed/ashamed with continuing a series just because it has Liefields name attached. The last issue of Glory pre-reboot was like 15 years ago and people shouldn't feel the need to read everything, all of the books were advertised as "new jumping on point" and their own beasts too.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How did Fatale turn out? Was the first volume any good?

I legit don't think that you're going to get anyone say that a Brubaker/Phillips book is anything less than great.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bairfanx posted:

I won't say that Fatale was less than great, but it certainly felt that way reading it monthly. It was very obviously written to be collected and was a much better read when I had the first story arc in my hands.

To be honest I've only read the first issue as I prefer to read Brubakers work in trade but it was more a general statement of "if you like their past collabs you'll probably like this".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bairfanx posted:

I wish I could say I was surprised, but while there are some really interesting things going on in Glory, the art is inconsistent (when it is good, it's great, but when it isn't, it feels really distracting) and the story seems to meander around quite a bit. It's fun and I will miss it, but it's far from perfect, and its cancellation isn't solely due to the market and comics readers.

Man I wouldn't call the art on Glory inconsistent at all. If anything I'd say it's just becoming more confident as the book progresses.

al-azad posted:

I also think Image keeping the original numbers hurt sales as well. Prophet has strong word of mouth and I'm starting to see people in non-comic circles talking about it, but Glory came out of nowhere starting at issue 23 and nothing about it initially made me interested until people started talking.

I think the main thing Glory has going against it is the comparison to Prophet and them being lumped together in the "relaunch". Glory is great and I'd use it as an example of putting new talent on a book but Prophet has turned from being a new Brandon Graham/Simon Roy book which was only supposed to come out every few months to a "who's who" of current indie artists getting to do what they want.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I liked the story.

Sure the art was beautiful and I would gladly pay for Stokoe to just draw monsters or buildings crumbling in a multitude of ways but I like the idea of following a soldier who gets so mesmerised with Godzilla that he just spends his life trying to get his attention but being able to do little more than momentarily distract it.

Also I pretty much love all things Godzilla and am all for them introducing more monsters and Stokoe doing his version of the various different beasts like Mothra, MechaGodzilla, King Ghidorah et all.

Also in Stokoe talk he's selling the pages to the book if you've got a couple hundred lying around.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

al-azad posted:

James Stokoe is on 4chan's /co/ talking about Godzilla and showing off future pages and answering questions. In case you don't want to subject yourself to actually browsing 4chan, I'll paraphrase the topic:

Page from issue 2 (linked for possible spoiler)

And some miscellaneous info which I'll spoiler just in case:
-There will be a space battle
-Final showdown in Antarctica
-Stokoe's favorite monsters are SpaceGodzilla and Ebirah
-New, original monsters will appear in issue 3
-There are Mothra hippies
-In talks with IDW about doing something special for the collected edition like a foldout cover
-Godzilla's ridiculous scream is based on an oscilloscope readout from the first film.

In regards to posting his work online:

:drat:

Everything about that is just awesome.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Image have thrown a bunch of number ones and some "spiritual" number ones up on Comixology for FREE.

So y'know you now have literally no excuse not to at least try out the first issues of Prophet, Fatale, Glory, Saga, The Manhatten Projects...

Basically there's a hell of a lot of good free comics to try out.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I don't know if I'm more disappointed that there's an ongoing Charmed comic or that the TnA Grimm Fairy Tales has nothing to do with wrestling.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Fiona Staples has been killing it with covers lately. I love this one for issue #7

Also in the art department Brandon Graham is releasing an art book which he's been talking about doing for a while. Walrus, out early 2013. It'll probably end up being his blog in book form.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well Saga has been concerned with throwing out known character types and putting them in absurd situations but treating it as common place. If you don't like those character type it's not hard to see why you wouldn't like it.

In not really surprising news Phonogram has been delayed to next year and probably not the first half of next year. Which isn't too surprising given the amount of work that McKelvie and Gillen are taking on recently.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Darth Nat posted:

So Glory returns from hiatus today with #29, which sets up her evil sister. The weird thing about this issue is that Glory's sister curses a lot, but they feel the need to censor it. Then later in the book, there are two scenes with explicit nudity. Comics have a weird sense of what is acceptable and what isn't sometimes.

I thought it was a style rather than censoring, I know Empowered does the same and the book has an adult rating on it anyway. Issue was good too, glad to have it back, especially Glory with her ridiculous pink cat jumper.

Alhazred posted:

Is there any chance for more Orc Stain?

Orc Stain will be back. Godzilla is just a short break for Stokoe to get him to do different stuff.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Original Crossed is great and one of the best thing Ennis has done though it's obviously very difficult to actually recommend it to somebody. I also really liked that it ended with somewhat of a happy ending all things considered. It's pretty much The Walking Dead/post apocalyptic stuff "done right".

Crossed: Whis You Were Here, mentioned above, is pretty good too though I don't think it has reached the heights of Ennis' work. It's written by Si Spurrier whom I know a lot of goons liked this X-Club mini. And yeah I think may end up being more "gross" ni the long run.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bgaesop posted:

I guess this is the right place to ask? I dunno, if it's not point me at the correct thread and I'll ask there.

I loving love Tintin. I want to read me some more like that. I've already read Freddy Lombard. What else should I read?

Everything here.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

A new issue of Saga came out today and it turns out it's still pretty great. If anything I'd say that Fiona Staples has managed to get better with the break.

Also the issue features easily the most :wtc: / :barf: image of the series.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Darth Nat posted:

Glory was real good this week, but either Joe Keatinge or Ross Campbell has an unhealthy obsession with arm-related violence.

Part of me wants to say it's Campbell if for no other reason than the fact that his art manages to put so much weight behind Glory's fighting. Either way that entire fight scene was pretty :stare: and I'm curious if they manage to one up it before then end of the series.

Richard Corben has a new book out this week if people want to fill up on "gross" art. It's an adaptation of Poe's The Conqueror Worm and a lot of Corben does best

And while people are in a buying mood Comixology is doing a David Hine sale. Bulletproof Coffin is really, really good (and has a free issue up to get a taste).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

One of the many things I like about Glory is she's Wonder Woman if Wonder Woman was built like a tank and acted like so. By extension Campbell is great at drawing her as actually coming off as physically imposing to anything that gets in her way.

Also again for anybody interested in it the first issue of the Keatinge/Campbell relaunch/reboot is up for free on Comixology.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Adam Strange posted:

Maybe I'm alone in this but any goodwill I had for Nick Spencer from the third of the Jimmy Olsen backups that were somewhat amusing has been completely flushed away by every other thing I've read from him.

Nah you're not alone. I'm pretty sure the string of bad books followed by revelations that he's a pretty horrible person in real life killed any goodwill he had (around here anyway).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

What were these, specifically? I must not be up on current events.

The weird thing it's not actually current stuff.

It's mostly from before getting into comics when he ran nightclubs as well as "other" stuff. He seems to have deleted his old blogs and sites in attempt to not let it tarnish his comics reputation.

EDIT: There's some stuff about it in this thread.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah there's no way somebody else takes over Glory. The book got a price increase to try and keep it afloat for this long and even then it only managed to last another few months.

It's really a shame too. The book manages to take a lot of crazy stuff that shouldn't work, like Glory herself, the ultra-violence and sex, and does them fantastically but for whatever reason nobody is buying it.

The worst part though is that as great as Ross Campbell is I can't see a lot of companies (especially the big two) wanting his style.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

For their Christmas sale stuff Comixology are giving away Multiple Warheads: Alphabet To Infinity #1 for free for the next few hours.

It's 50 pages of Brandon Graham doing his stuff and it is really great.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Darth Nat posted:

Okay, now that I got a print copy of Glory, I can say that Nanaja is the sensational character find of 2012.

And the final page made me :lol:

Comixology have sorted their stuff out and the full issue is now up and holy poo poo that last page. I kind of wonder how the series is going to top itself with gory/hilarious pages by the end.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It's not just a New Zealand thing, pretty sure it's an "everywhere outside of the US" thing since I haven't been able to get them either.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Saga was out again this week. It's still pretty great.

Fiona Staples draws crazy blind mole people and the book has finally hit the "all stories are starting to converge" point.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah that final page was awesome and next issue poo poo is going to go down.

If the book being cancelled wasn't bad enough now there'll never be a Henry and Beleszava team up book either.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Stokoe took a break from doing Orc Stain to do Godzilla: Half Century War. Orc Stain is going back to it's usual sporadic schedule now though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Guys. Guys I have a confession. I...I didn't really like Happy. Something about it just never totally clicked in my head.

Did it ever become anything more than Ennis lite?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

StumblyWumbly posted:

No, its been over the top darkness and perversion to hammer home a trite message. The art was well done tho.

That's a shame. Maybe Morrison's next creator owned work will be worth it.

Adam Strange posted:

You need to read Hard Boiled, my friend. Geof Darrow is the truth.

Everybody should read Hard Boiled/any of the Darrow/Miller collaborations. They're all pretty good and Darrow is just amazing at what he does.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Also Sloane Leong has a cool mini comic up, colour version is just 2 bux. It's short and sweet but it's got a great sequence in it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Darth Nat posted:

So, Glory #33. Never has there been such a combination of :black101: and :qq:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in #34 given that Henry, Belesava, and Riley are all dead. And I like the visual at the end where when Glory realizes what she's done, she shrinks down to the smallest we've seen in the series.

I knew there was no other way the series could go but it was kind of hoping that Henry might have made it out alive :( .

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I'm going to give the next issue of it a shot but I really wasn't impressed with it, outside the art. For a book that wants to be pushing being "alternative" so much a close up of two girls going down on each other isn't really pushing any boundaries or saying anything. It doesn't even have a trashy appeal so far for a book named Sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

This weeks Saga has everything that Sex wishes it had. It's fun, ridiculous and shocking with some actual character growth too.