Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm in on hib as Adenosine, and soon my bot Triphosphate :v:

I'm pretty experienced with the game, just completely new to Hibernia. But if you run into general game questions I can do my best to help with those.

I was going to do this big writeup on stats you want to look for on items but I'll just do a quick and dirty one instead. This is pretty general, some classes have slightly different needs. This is also pre 50, so I'm not going to get into the ToA bonuses.

Casters:
dex - effects casting speed, 350+ dex and 10% casting speed bonus from items will come close to capping speed
con/hits - health
acuity - piety, intelligence, and I think empathy are all covered under this, acuity is the general intelligence stat
+spell damage - the cap at 50 is +11 from items
resists - extremely important to cap later on, but you don't need to worry about it that much before 50 unless you're going to be sticking around in the battlegrounds

Melee:
strength - damage
con/hits - health
quickness - effects swing speed, the cap is 250
dex - a lot of melee classes in midgard kind of disregard this in templates, I don't know if its the same with hib. Dex is useful as it effects blocking and evade rates, but people don't go out of their way to cap it.
+ weapon skills - same as + spell damage
+ shield - if you're spec'd into using one
resists

Again, very general and doesn't cover hybrid type classes extremely well but it should give you some idea.

Combo fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

keeb posted:

I really wanted to play this game again, but just can't get over the clunky controls and interface. I've been spoiled by modern games.

Yeah if you're coming from anything like WoW, Rift, or TOR, the UI and everything is really, really going to feel dated. It takes a little bit of getting used to.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I said this in the last thread, but I guess I'll give the summary here again for level 50 RvR I've seen since I've been back.

Alb - I've seriously never seen a group of less than 50 together since I've come back. Usually over 100 people running together, on up to 200 when we took 2 of their relics a couple weekends ago.

Midgard - The alliance I'm in really loves to zerg, they spend a lot of time running 3 or 4 full groups around labyrinth and take pride in "breaking" it. There are also a couple other smallish zergs that run around.

I do see groups of 8 forming up while I'm hanging around at Uppland though, so I assume 8v8 still exists out there somewhere.

Hib - I haven't gotten to 50 in hib yet but from the other side of it, I've only ever seen a maximum of 2 groups together at all. This means as a hib there is going to be a ton of people to fight, unfortunately all of them will be running at you at once and that gets extremely frustrating.

Also, and I was talking about this with Lore ingame the other day, but seemingly everyone that still plays is a drat redneck. You get on ventrilo and its like you stepped into the back woods of West Virginia with a bunch of people that are retirement age. Its a really weird phenomenon.

DAoC is the ham radio of MMOs.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bishop01 posted:

this is a level of ridiculousness i can get behind, I just need to figure out what class to play, any suggestions for a brand new person basically?
are you online now combo?

I'm not, no. I'm working from home and my good computer is tied up doing that. However, if you decide to try it out, post here with your name ingame and I can hop on with my laptop that barely runs daoc and just idle/answer questions you run across.

I prefer casters in this game (I don't play them in any other game), but there is some things worth knowing.

As a caster, anything that a mob does to you is going to interrupt you, and you won't be able to cast. Early on, this isn't a big deal but eventually you're going to need to learn how to kite.

Always start at max range, and keep in mind that when you get a mob under about 20% they start to slow down...under 10% and they're barely moving. If you're casting at something and it keeps resisting, you're going to need to try to time a root/stun/snare/whatever spell so you can get away from it again. You also get a quickcast ability that has like a 20 second cooldown, where you can QC a spell on a mob that's already beating on you.

Failing that your only options are to run away or try to kill it with your staff, which is almost never a good idea.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bishop01 posted:

I decided to reroll a bard, still in as Xylthis, would appreciate a ginvite whenever you folks get on, currently grinding BGs and getting a feel for the game.

Is it just me or are we the bitch ream? we have almost no keeps and no power relics? is this the status quo?

I think a relic raid happened last night and both mid and alb hit the hib frontier at the same time. That was the gist I got from while I was out leveling behind the relic wall.

When I was on my Mid character doing a relic raid a couple weeks ago, we stole two from Alb and Hibs "helped" (as in, were also in Alb frontier taking keeps and being a general pain in the rear end), so yeah. It just kind of happens that way sometimes.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

boho posted:

Is the frontier still about 8-man rapetrains wiping raids thanks to AOE mesmerize?

No, between purge, charge, heavy tanks getting a ton of CC reduction, etc, bomb groups don't really work so well anymore from what I understand.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, I had a few of those on my supp SM back in the day. 8 of us were holed up in a tower with the alb zerg beating on the doors/crowded on one of the corners. Myself and the two other SMs had our healers stun them all and dropped right in the middle of the group on the corner and instakilled the entire group in about 3 casts. I think I had 50 of the deathblows.

That and taking out a group of people as they ran up to the lord room was really the only reason to play supp SM in RvR, but it was a drat good reason.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well I hit 45.5 tonight and now I can do green glades glass quests, so hopefully I'll be able to catch on to a group for those here and there. I can solo the grogon's one easy enough, they resist a ton though.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

vandalism posted:

I downloaded this and have been messing with the character creator. I made an eldritch and an animist, any opinion on which is the better explosion maker? The turret pets seem kinda cool for pvp, but I remember eldritches having crazy cool void bolts of death. Animists can be celts with cool spiky hair, though :3:

I made an eld and have been leveling as void, just because the bolts pretty much two shot (and sometimes one shot) yellow mobs. I'll be switching to Light at 50 because bolts in RvR are annoying...they can be blocked, or miss, or if the target is in combat already sometimes it will miss, and suddenly your damage takes a huge downward turn. The range is nice and everything but mostly the only thing bolts are good for is standing up on the ramparts of a keep and raining them down on a target once every 30 seconds or so.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bishop01 posted:

Anyone thinking about this... I haven't played since 2004. I read every tutorial and still made it to 20 in a few hrs of ineffeciant bg/pve leveling. They have portals everywhere and gear is thrown at you in bgs. Plus I did some small grp pvp in bgs ans it was fun as hell, even when we got rolled

Glad to see you got up to 20 and are having fun, I was going to roll something to catch up to you and run BG quests with you if you were still having issues finding a group, I still might tonight/tomorrow depending on how much time I have. I can't really PL you but grouping up in the BGs and doing the quests is honestly just about as good.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bahanahab posted:

Is there any way to do macros in this game? For example, cast quick cast and then cast a spell?

If you mean hitting one key to do like a qc stun or something, no. Only one ability per key, they're extremely anti macro.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

caldakid posted:

Is there a shared bank system? I am started a new character but I want to transfer the plat from my Vampiir to my new char.

Nope, you have to get someone to hold it for you (or a bot if you have a second account).

If you're on hib and in Lore's guild I'm sure you could find someone. I'll do it for you if you see me on (Adenosine)

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ButtaKnife posted:

template

I got some plat moved over from Mid to Hib, and got started on this.

All I'm missing is the feet, arms, head, and bp ring, and just need to finish leveling artifacts so I'm not far off now :)

Oh and also 50.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Adenosine got 50 after 14 hours /played so no time like the present.

And now I'm ML4 and fully templated in about 17 hours /played

Granted, I got someone to trade some of my Midgard platinum for Hib plat, but still. I'm set to RvR by tomorrow.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ralconn posted:

I'm considering resubscribing to this game now that there is some sort of goon presence but I don't know what hib class to play. I really don't have a preference to play style so whatever is needed most I am down to play.

I would say just try a few classes out and see what you like. If you play a class that's "needed" (I don't know what the guild would need currently) and hate it, then you'll feel stuck. Play whatever you feel comfortable with/

edit: That all said, I've seen like 3 people say they want to start bards and 2 or 3 say animists, so I guess you can take that into consideration as well. I haven't seen anyone that I know of start a melee character (Hero/BM/Champion).

Combo fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 5, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bahanahab posted:

Could someone who knows the current state of the game do a quick rundown on each of the hib classes? I'm just going through different classes to level 12 or so to get a basic feel, but the problem is there are many different builds, abilities, and playstyles that you won't see until much higher level. A great example is the warden class can be a pure healer, melee, or a block bot that specializes in tanking. They're vastly different playstyles, but they all work in different ways.

I'll try with what I know:

Healer types
Warden - seems like you have that one covered...heals, chants, block bot, minor melee damage
Bard - crowd control, heals, chants, minor melee damage
Druid - heals, buffs, shears (remove buffs from other players), a pet, dots, disease

Casters
Eldritch - long range bolts, nukes, AE mezz, single target stun, pbaoe, nearsight
Enchanter - pbaoe, nukes, pet class, not sure on mezz or stun
Mentalist - some heals, power regen, dots, hots
Animist - mushrooms everywhere

Melee
Hero - 1 hand + shield or 2 hand, heavy armor, can turn into a moose once every 10 minutes or so to deal additional damage
Blademaster - dual wield light tank, doesn't always hit with both weapons
Champion - heavy tank with debuffs? Not sure
Vamp - not really sure but I know a well played one is extremely tough to kill
Valewalker - kind of a melee/caster hybrid

Stealthers
Nightshade - stealh, poisons, dual wield, some instant damage/dot spells
Ranger - bow, dual wield, stealth, somewhat capable in both melee and range

The only thing I know about Maulers is that all 3 realms get them and I've never seen anyone play one.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Oh, for what some of the things above mean:

Mez - a form of crowd control that breaks on damage, but at the highest level I think it lasts for 60 seconds on someone with no CC reduction

Stun - shorter duration crowd control but doesn't break on damage

Disease - cuts healing on the target way down, and they're no longer effected by health regen

Dots - damage over time

Hots - heal over time

I believe everything above except hots have a single target and AE option (area of effect).

nearsight - cuts the range of someone's spells to next to nothing

PBAOE - As you've figured out already, a caster can't do a single thing when something is hitting him. PBAOE spells are extremely strong, but they have a small radius and you're the center, so you're prone to getting interrupted because you're standing right next to someone/something. Really good in RvR with the right group setup (called a bomb group). Also good for defending keeps and towers.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Mux posted:

Some minor fixes and additions.

Cool, thanks. Still extremely limited on my hib knowledge

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Vermain posted:

If you didn't play this game when it first came out, chances are really good that you won't enjoy it now. To be frank: the combat is dated and clunky and harkens back to an earlier time of Everquest where watching your character swing slowly at something was acceptable gameplay. Things have changed, and growing up with MMOs like WoW does make DAoC seem considerably more slow paced and dull.

Yeah for sure...a new player just picking up the game and coming from WoW or TOR or something, I would be very surprised if you enjoy it. I think for most of us the draw is just nostalgia.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

I guess now pretty much everyone has access to unlimited endurance though?

Incorrect. There are realm buffers now, where you buy a token and hand it back to them for full buffs, but you don't get endurance out of it (endurance regen has a range on it now). A played shaman is still pretty rare but they're needed for groups.

Cave shamans get shears, disease, and dots. They're very useful.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Can someone Fraps some general gameplay for us so I can get my fix without reinstalling please :kiddo:

You reminded me that I was going to post this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG_k83Yiy1A

Its a bunch of RvR fundamental stuff...keybinds, targetting, etc. made by an extremely good shaman from the server I used to play on.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Maybe I'm really dumb but how on earth do I find my old characters and transfer them over? I can't seem to find out how to do it. Also is there a way to consolidate all my existed characters on to one single account?

At the server select window there's an option to switch to the archived servers. Go to the archived server where your characters were, log on to each of them, and type /freexfer Ywain# (1-10, whichever). Also FYI if you wanted to change one of your characters names, that would be the time to do it.

As for consolidating them onto one account, no.

Combo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 8, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Thanks man, are the GOA accounts on here? I found my USA one, but my old GOA login doesn't seem to exist.

I don't know for sure about that part of it. GOA was the european servers right?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

They're bought with scales, 150 scales per piece. You also have to be at least neutral with the dragon zone faction people.

If you go to the scale vendor in the capital city, the item you're looking for is on the last page (in Mid its called Draconic Essence I think). You buy it, take it to the faction town in the dragon zone and turn it into the dragonslayer guy there, which starts a quest that you immediately choose a piece and turn in to finish.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Twlight posted:

I played pretty recently around October is when I stopped, but I get the itch far too often to ignore it. I've got a 50 shade and I believe some casters or a bard on hib but I'm so well setup on alb :ohdear:

I never played anything other than a Mid character before last week. I still don't know my way around the capital city very well, and I've spent the majority of my time in battlegrounds, ToA, or frontiers (which is the same for all 3 realms obviously). I had to look at a map to figure out how to get to the dragon zone.

Its really not that bad, honestly.

edit:

Beo posted:

What are some of the decent solo classes on hib, back when I played everyone was playing vamps.

I just want to tool around the battlegrounds and hold my own in group and solo play.

Also dear god what did they do to archers they have a bunch of different shots now haha.

I rolled a warden on my bot account to eventually be a blockbot, and even with only 4 points in a weapon spec, I was soloing absolutely fine through the 15-19 BG (only died once, and that was to a minstrel while I had 2 other mobs on me). 20-24 BG solo is going to be terrible for anyone, as that's when groups start to gather up and there are a decent amount of people. You can probably solo easily through 25-29 and 30-34, and again 40-44 in BGs. 35-39 is a BG where a lot of people template a character and stay for a while, as well as 45-49.

Combo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 8, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I think if you're looking at doing more melee damage, I'd browse solo warden templates instead of group, as you can't really win a fight solo by healing someone to death. Regardless, I don't think you'll ever do top damage as a warden no matter how you spec one, but you should be able to outlast people.

Combo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 8, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Zotix posted:

So uh, with no existing characters or any sort of support group how long would it take to level a character, from scratch, and be PvP viable?

For me it took about 14 hours 1-50 + template, but I did have money available on Midgard that I traded over to hib, so that helped a lot. Its very easy though, there are a couple people in this thread that picked the game up with no prior background and are now 50 inside of a couple of days.

And this is gameplay hours...if I played 14 hours in one day I would probably kill myself, or my wife would kill me.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

I used to pretty much only play mid, so what's a good duo combination to make? I'm guessing either a Druid or Warden (Mentalist?) for the buffing account and a er I dunno. I had a Runemaster, a Warrior and a Hunter on my old account so I've played pretty much everthing. I'm leaning towards a magic user this time round. What's fun to play?

I'm playing an eldritch and he already easily outdamages my runemaster who is 2 RRs ahead of him.

I leveled as void (like a destruction runemaster, bolt spec), but now I've switched to light at 50 (like a darkness runie, but with the added bonus of AE mez and single target stun, still get nearsight as well, but no pulsing blade turn). Its extremely fun.

Chanters are also supposed to be pretty good, and mentalist gets power regen.

For a bot, go with a druid since they get the spec buffs.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I don't know about mentalist damage but someone here has one, just can't remember who.

As far as soloing things with a chanter, I think Waffle and his wife solo most everything with a focus pet chanter, mentalist (for power regen, hots) and a bard (heal proc). I think that's their farming group makeup anyway.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Oh yeah sorry to spam but I downloaded that Derida's UI mod thing, put it in the daoc folder. Do I need to do anything extra to get it to work? It's in the menu options or something isn't it?

UIs go into the ui/custom folder, and then you switch to custom UI in the menu.

If you want something a little more minimalist, try Bob's UI.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I use old models just because that's what I'm used to and to me they look better (mid does anyway, don't have a comparison base on hib)

edit: Also yeah there are times the Alb zerg in Thidranki is retarded. Do your best to find an xp group for battlegrounds and it'll go much faster/be safer

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

boho posted:

I was skeptical about the size of the Albion zerg until I ran into one. In Lion's Den. The 1-9 Battleground. How ~8-10 people managed to stay level 1-9 long enough to kill the three Hib in the zone and then camp right outside our keep I have no idea.

I'm probably going to reroll Alb at this point. I play a Mage in Rift, so I'm sick of always losing PvP. :smith:

FYI 2 groups of hibs (group I was in and another that came in to help) rolled 5 groups of mids in open field rvr last night. Also the battlegrounds can get zergy from all 3 sides. Earlier while leveling with my brother there was 3 full groups of hibs in killaloe and we took the CK down.

A couple nights ago a full group of dwarves were going around killing absolutely everyone in the 10-14 bg.

Rerolling alb in the bg's doesn't mean you won't get zerged down.

Take it from me, zerging gets very old very quick.

Combo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 12, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

It kind of goes in cycles but yeah. Old school emain used to be the place to be, now its more centered around Agramon and the 3 keeps closest to it.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Can anyone write up a quick summary of what I should be doing once I reach 40+? Something about glass and champions bounties and master levels and I don't even know what the gently caress.

At level 45-50, you'll want to port to Oceanus, and try to catch on to a group that's doing the Atlantean Glass quests. There are three places these groups will be...Green Glades (port to Aerus --> Green Glades), Volcanus (port to Volcanus --> Typhon's Reach) and Stygia (port to Stygia --> Delta).

There are 4 quests in each zone, and they're repeatable. The reward for doing them is 100 glass, 1 essence of an afrit, and 226 gold per quest turn-in, so if you do all 4 you'll end up with 400 glass, 4 afrits, and 900+ gold for about 10-15 minutes per rotation (and maybe faster if the group is good). They also give a massive amount of experience (good also after 50 because it starts giving champion experience instead)

Glass is used to buy artifact credit and scrolls. It can also be used to buy tokens for full master level 1-10 credit.

The afrits can be turned in to a crystal titan type mob outside of Aerus Haven, either 3 at a time or 5 at a time.

3 afrits gives you the option to get loot from some of the lesser encounters around ToA.

5 afrits gives you the option to get loot from the larger/more difficult ML encounters.

So for instance if your template called for a Ring of Zahur, they used to be 30-40p to buy from a player in housing. Now you can turn in 3 afrits for a chance at getting one. The loot is random and functions as if you just killed the mob itself.

You can also get house trophies this way, and items to make legendary weapons (melee weapons that do elemental damage instead of slash/crush/thrust).

5 afrits can also get you more Atlantean Glass, I think its random but its somewhere between 600-900.

Combo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 14, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well one of the problems with CC in Killaloe and Thidranki (and really any of the lower level BGs) is that nobody has purge.

So yes, it gets better with RR (specifically with having the purge RA).

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bloodbath posted:

I'm actually having an issue where when i use my shift key whilst typing in the chat window, it brings my cursor to the front of the window so i can't click to the end of the sentence to carry on writing and my sentence usually begins with a punctuation mark (as i was trying to do a ? at the end of the sentence with shift that caused it), does any one know how to fix this? 'Shift' isn't configured to anything as far as i can tell :(

I actually had this problem too and I'm not entirely sure what fixed it. Maybe just relogging?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't quote me on this, but I think all the expansions are free now. I remember that when Catacombs came out, Shrouded Isles was made free, and then when Labyrinth came out, Atlantis was made free.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is the case. When you download the trial, that's the full client with all the expansions. From there its just paying the monthly payment on it.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm down if its on Saturday night or Sunday.

I picking my son up tonight so I won't be on until after he goes to bed, and I'm busy tomorrow during the day, but after that my weekend is free. Can bring either my hero (49 and untemplated, but not for long) or the eld.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ButtaKnife posted:

Unless something crazy changes, we'll start this at 2PM Eastern tomorrow (Sunday, Feb 19). We'll meet up in Innis Carthaig (port to Connla then take a wyvern from the Stable Master to Innis). There are no pre-reqs for this raid.

This is what we're working on:
http://darkageofcamelot.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Mythirian_Requirements
My goal is to get through number 4, but we may try 5, depending on how things are going. Bring mana potions or other gear/items you think you may need for the raid.

Just going to bump this real quick because its less than an hour from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

GOON RAIDING

http://i.imgur.com/CkUA8.jpg

• Locked thread